Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-09-06 11:57 PM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
Andi, Christine and Katz: Your September 2007 Avatars are looking mighty fine! You all did an awesome job!

Ya know that between the 5 of us, we represented 12.5% of the total participants! That's pretty cool! It was fun, provided some great training goals, and stretched us.

Now Andi made a statement that I should lead by example.....just be careful Andi for what you wish for! I might surprise you! I mean come on, if Christine can create a fun Avatar, I might be able to stretch my imagination and post something for a day or two before the censors remove the avatar!

Rich

2007-09-07 7:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA

Great advise Rich about the Oly distance.  I may try one next year.  We'll see how the training goes in the winter.

I am scared about what new avatar you might create...  ;-)

P.S.  Great photo Andi!  I like your "kid tactic".

Edited by cmbcwb3 2007-09-07 7:15 AM
2007-09-07 7:33 AM
in reply to: #954993

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Hey Rich,

Don't forget Caru too, she's showing a good amount of skin!

I'm personally challenging you to do something creative with that avatar, just for funsies. We're all family here, so (almost) anything is acceptable with us! hahah
2007-09-07 7:00 PM
in reply to: #955007

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
aduncan42 - 2007-09-07 7:33 AM

Hey Rich,

Don't forget Caru too, she's showing a good amount of skin!

I'm personally challenging you to do something creative with that avatar, just for funsies. We're all family here, so (almost) anything is acceptable with us! hahah

THANKS, Andi!! I overlooked Caru's hot avatar.......my apologies, CARU! And with the creativity? Don't worry, I started cooking up something already today! (Teeeehhheeeeteeeheee!)

Rich
2007-09-08 9:50 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Good Morning!

Rich, how's the shoulder?  Pain still?  I hope it's healing.  I really liked all the advise you sent out the other day on OLY triathlons.  You put it so simply.  Thanks!!!  Also, way back when we first began the mentor group, you wrote a lot about changing our food habits.  My downfall was breakfast.  Well, I took your advice on food choices like egg whites, yogurts, whole grain breads, waffles, etc. to eat in the morning.  I'm actually eating breakfast on a regular basis and I'm losing weight!  I've lost another 2 lbs. this month.  I understand now that when I eat breakfast, I'm not overeating the rest of the day.  It's great.  Anyways, I'm just excited that I'm actually going to see the 120's again after having 3 babies and gaining/losing a total of 180 lbs.  (I gained 60 w/each kid)  3 more lbs and I'll be at my pre-pregnancy days!  WOOHOO  and I have muscle to show for!  WOOHOO  Again, thanks Rich for all the great information...your a walking wealth of knowledge!

Okay Ladies...everytime I plug into our thread, I get a little "eye candy"!  If I'm feeling this way, I can only imagine how the guys are doing!  Dang! 

Happy Training!  I know some races are coming up for Caru, Felipe, Andi and Kat!  Train smart!

Angela

2007-09-08 12:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hey, folks!  How is everyone doing? Cris - I totally crack up everytime I see your avatar...what a great photo!  I'm sure your hubby had fun with it too Andi and Caru, you are so much braver than me - I'm still scared of a two piece.  Of course, if I had abs like yours, I probably wouldn't be so chicken.  Good show, ladies! Felipe, feel free to join in on the fun anytime....

So, I went out cycling today just to have fun with it.  Didn't worry about speed or hill repeats or nothing. It was a nice change of pace.  You can read more about it in my training log. I just wanted to say how fun it was to just not worry about training for a day and enjoy the scenery.  Kinda reminded me to have fun with all of this and not work work work all the time!

Rich - what's the latest on your shoulder? I can't remember if you said if/when you might have surgery to repair the damage.  Please let us know! Oh...and I can't wait to see what you've got planned for your avatar - the anticipation is killing me!  Don't keep us waiting too long!

2007-09-08 2:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Saw the Orthopedic Surgeon today....I still have a lot of swelling although I've gotten about 70% range of motion back in the shoulder. X-Rays showed calcium deposits (1" in circumference and 1/4" thick just at the top of the humerus. In addition, I have artheritis in a couple locations, but most prominent in the AC joint The doc is speculating that the impingment is occurring as a result of two bone spurs on the inside of the acromion. He is speculating that there is some tearing. Was also concerned about the "poping" or catching sound when he moved my arm/shoulder.

The doc is going to by-pass PT. Gave me a cortizone shot and is having me take ibuprofen (1800 to 2400 mg.) per day to decrease the amount of swelling. In six weeks, I go back to see him and at that point will (most likely) order an MRI to determine whether surgery will be required. (I think from an insurance standpoint, he has to try a more conservative intervention before he can recommend athroscopic (sp.) corrective surgery. His concern was that with how active I am, this corrective surgery would decrease chances of more extensive damage in the future.

No overhead lifting, no swimming (american crawl)....kick board drills were approved, bike riding in 3 weeks if swelling is diminishing. Running is OK. If I lift any weights, nothing above shoulder level.

I have been walking on the treadmill and also found a way to get a swim in......kickboard drills. I straight arm my left arm on the board and drape the right arm over my left arm to prevent any pressure on the shoulder. Using fins, I can get a pretty good leg workout.

That's it for now.....enjoy!
2007-09-08 5:50 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
LOVE THE AVATAR RICH!!!  Totally took me by surprise! LOL...I love a good sense of humor!  (BTW, you're hot...)
2007-09-08 6:12 PM
in reply to: #956553

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Rich - THAT IS AWESOME!!!! I love it!!!
2007-09-08 7:55 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
yoblondie - 2007-09-08 6:50 PM

LOVE THE AVATAR RICH!!!  Totally took me by surprise! LOL...I love a good sense of humor!  (BTW, you're hot...)

I have to second that, Rich! You have the hot factor at 10+! Certainly nothing to be ashamed about...as always, you have been a fantastic role model in EVERY sense of the word!
2007-09-09 6:57 AM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Well, my second tri race results are posted. If you look at the forum under Michigan, the Novi Fit triathlon is a topic of discussion, with speculation that the distances were quite off. The times are humbling.

I don't feel like a ran a good race. Swim, average. Bike, best of the three (personal best race pace at 17.2), run SUCKS ROCKS at 12:07 pace...Unbelievable.

2007-09-09 7:25 AM
in reply to: #956760

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hey, Andi!  A personal best on the bike is nothing to sneeze at, girl.  Congrats on that.  I know how you feel about the run, though.  I've had more than my fair share of tough runs. Was there anything different about this run course? Trails instead of road for example? Nutrition different? Maybe there's something there that will give you a clue as to why your run wasn't what you hoped.  It may help you on your next race.

I think it's awesome that you did two races so close together - you're way braver than me.  Keep up the great work! No getting down on yourself now - after all, you're a mom of two with a bikini bod...and a triathlete! You rock!

2007-09-09 1:53 PM
in reply to: #956760

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
aduncan42 - 2007-09-09 6:57 AM

Well, my second tri race results are posted. If you look at the forum under Michigan, the Novi Fit triathlon is a topic of discussion, with speculation that the distances were quite off. The times are humbling.

I don't feel like a ran a good race. Swim, average. Bike, best of the three (personal best race pace at 17.2), run SUCKS ROCKS at 12:07 pace...Unbelievable.

Hey Andi! Job Well done! I read the Michigan section on the Novi Tri......recalculate your running split based upon a 4 Mile Run and see if that comes closer to what you normally run. You are probably right that it is long......I've had a similar experience with a specific race organizer out here! Look at what you did well and CELEBRATE that.....specifically, AWESOME JOB on your bike split!

My approach to many of my "training races" is to look at the PBs and what went well. I try to identify why it went well or why that turned out to be a personal best.

Rich

NOTE TO EVERYONE: Thanks for the compliments.....to set the record straight.....I am wearing something behind the kick board.
2007-09-09 6:22 PM
in reply to: #956990

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Cyclingmaniac - 2007-09-09 2:53 PM

NOTE TO EVERYONE: Thanks for the compliments.....to set the record straight.....I am wearing something behind the kick board.

Oh man, way to dash the imagination!!! hahahah JK

Thanks for the support...I just may do that, but I am proud of my bike split, thank you

Did you know that Caru and I will be racing together in the half Ironman next May?? I'm SOOOO excited! Anyone else want to join in? If we finish, we can be like the commercial...

Caru, Andi, (insert your name here)...You just finished the Florida Half Ironman! Now what are you going to do????

I'M GOING TO DISNEYWORLD!
2007-09-10 2:42 PM

User image

Regular
Hey guys!

First of all, thank you Rich for all the advice for the oly tri. And thats a pretty cool avatar, I'm trying to think of a cool one but I don't think I can be as original as you. hahahaha!

Andi, great job on your race and hope you are ready for the oly cause it's just around the corner, woohoooooo!!

I also had two races this weekend, they were both 5k. I am happy because I am finally getting back on track with my speed and felt pretty good on both races. On saturday I raced a Cross Country 5k and was 3rd overall with a time of 19:55. Then on sunday in the other 5k, which wasn't cross country style I was 16th overall and second in my age with a time of 18:44.

Hope everyone has a good week of trianing and recovery.

FR

2007-09-10 5:12 PM
in reply to: #958572

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Awesome Job Felipe! Kudos!

What is your secret? .......... You are flying dude! You're doing just over 6 minute miles! Awesome.......do you have any specific workouts that you can share? Maybe everybody should convene at a location of your choice and you can do a workshop for us!

CONGRATULATIONS on BOTH of your races! You're rockin!

(Thanks on the Avatar! I showed my wife the Avatar and she just shook her head! I'm sure that CARU could assist you in coming up with something creative! )

2007-09-11 12:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
yoblondie - 2007-09-08 5:50 PM

Hey Angela!

Good to hear from you! THANKS! Hope all is well! What are you up to? Let us know....we miss you!!!!

Rich
2007-09-11 1:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami

Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been wayyyyyy toooo long since the last time I posted!

1- Andi congratulations on your second race.... you know you always learn more the more you race, so you did a great job, even if you didn't feel that way! I would have been a bit momore proactive, but I thought your race was this weekedn.I guess I am totalyl off!!!

Congrats again, I will have to read the entire RR.!

2- Rich! OMG! i am imagining the pain you must feel right now... physically and also for not being able to ride or train, and you JUST GOT your new baby bike~ thats crazy! bike will wait for ya, so no sweta, take care of your body so that it can  be with you FULL time in the future! consider this a spa month! your body will be happy it got a break!!!

3- Kat- I am glad your hubby is alright! I did think and chanted (prayed)  for you guy s a lot! Send him my love!

4- Ang- How is my little angel? i need her to make fabulous weather for ANdi's race and Felipe/my race next weekend, so let her know I need her magic potion once again1  

OH! the avatar guys! fabulous fabulous!!! i crack up everytime. Rich you look amazing!!!! super cut all ripped, I mean I was like WOW! hahahaha awesome awesome.everyone looks super fit fit!  

I've been very busy at work and trying to get in as much training as I can getting ready for the race...I also just moved and so I am dealing with all the moving. it's been busy.

I also got fitted in my bike guys!!!! OMG, i cannot explain to you the difference felt in my biking and my muscles and the speed... I usually would go maybe 13 miles an hr, something like that... now that I got fitted( mind you we changed about 4 pieces of the bike!!! yeah, and I found out my torso is tilted to the right, im deformed) i am goign 21mhr easy!!! i mean its amazing! THe man that got me fitted has done 22 ironmans, and has been in le tour de france! i mean its crazy! he bikes to work 40 miles every day! it's ammazing. He is dutch and has trained world known athletes (that i obviously don't know) Anyways, super excited!

He has some pretty amazing trips he does ni Europe for very very reasonable prices, so I will keep you guys posted...generally he takes a very small group of people. It's worth it, I will keep you guys up to date on that!

Anyways guys,send  you love and will be keeping up with all  

2007-09-11 2:57 PM
in reply to: #960227

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
carustol - 2007-09-11 1:32 PM

OH! the avatar guys! fabulous fabulous!!! i crack up everytime. Rich you look amazing!!!! super cut all ripped, I mean I was like WOW! hahahaha awesome awesome.everyone looks super fit fit!  

Hey Caru!

Had the cortizone shot on Friday and I have soreness in the shoulder again without any overhead movement of the shoulder. It is a pain level of 2 to 3 on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being extremely painful. If the pain continues to increase, I'll be calling the surgeon earlier than 6 weeks. Right now, it is manageable, but it is a bummer not being able to train right now. If painless in three weeks, I can start riding my bike.......my new tri bike awaits in my home office.....the wheels have never touched asphalt or cement.....only carpet......I still have to name my bike, get it fitted, buy new bike pedals and shoes.

You are too kind about the avatar......ripped?!?......aaaaah no! That kick board helps improve the overall look!

Your coach sounds awesome and hopefully you will be able to share things you learn with the rest of the group!

Let me know if you have any questions about your prep for upcoming events!

Good to hear from you as always, CARU!

Rich
2007-09-12 9:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA

I popped back in for a visit...and WOW Rich!!!  You said you might do something funny and you did. 

I don't care how old you are, you're beefcake, man!

Good luck with your shoulder.  Must be tough sleeping with an injury like that.  Hang in there.

The renovations are moving along...now have tile and a sink in the bathroom...might have water back on by the weekend.

Just bike, run or swim when I have spare time and feel the desire. Needed some down time after 8 months of training and work ramping up in intensity.  October I have a charity bike ride and a Dragon Boat race and Carl (husband) has commited to going to the gym with me once a week for weights and aerobic training.  Should be an interesting month.  :-)

Glad to hear the rest of you are doing so well!  Keep it up and enjoy!

2007-09-12 1:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Christine!

Good to hear from you...... I don't know which is worse..... a shoulder injury or renovations of a house. Hmmmmm! Let me comtemplate that one......!!!!! Hope all goes well with the remaining part of the renovations. Shoulder is having good days and bad days.....either I'm getting use to the pain or it is diminishing.... not sure.....could be the painkillers, too! :p

You are too kind, Christine! Beefcake?.......More cake than beef! LOL! I will let you in on a little secret......my wife married me for my legs......she is a leg lady! I married her because........ I better not go there......trying to keep this site "G" Rated! LOL!

Cheers!

Rich

2007-09-12 1:55 PM
in reply to: #960098

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hey!  I'm doing good, Rich.  I'm back at work and trying to get into my new routine for training.  My kids dislike (to put it mildly) going to the gym so I've been trying to workout in the mornings...5 am to be exact!  It's going well.  I have one more tri I'm scheduled to do and then it's all running...White Rock Marathon in December.  I have to say I'm actually more excited about training for the marathon than my next tri.  I feel confident that I'll do okay.  It's only a sprint and now I'm thinking I should have signed up for at least an OLY to feel challenged.  I'm already thinking about next year and the distances I want to sign up for...at least 2 OLY and 2 sprints. 

Caru, I'll get Manda on the potions! 

Take care everyone...Angela

2007-09-13 10:15 AM

User image

Regular
Hey Guys,

Hope everyone's doing well.

How's your injury Rich?

My secret to running is just running and runnnig. hahahahah joking. I have found that my body adjusts better when training by week cycles, I go two weeks with a 40 mile load, then another two with a 20-30 load. On the high load weeks I work mostly on endurance with a couple of hills and then on the lower load weeks I try to work on speed. On the long runs I do not focus on pace at all, some people call them junk miles but I think they really do help me. The only thing I try to do is have negative splits on all of my runs.

Anyway, I hope that helps in some way.

How's everyone schedule looking this weekend?? I have a pretty busy schedule, with 2 5k's and a sprint tri. So im excited.

Take care guys.

FR
2007-09-13 10:21 AM

User image

Regular
Oh I forgot my question.

Rich, what do you suggest as taper down for the oly tri, what should be the strategy??

Thanks!!

FR
2007-09-13 12:32 PM
in reply to: #963208

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
feliperubio - 2007-09-13 10:21 AM

Oh I forgot my question.

Rich, what do you suggest as taper down for the oly tri, what should be the strategy??

Thanks!!

FR

Thanks Felipe on your running workout regime! I'm going to have to incorporate your program. It is very logical and explains a lot! Periodization is an effective way to train! Working on building muscle/climbing/hill repeats while trying to build endurance (longer runs) does not work well! Thanks for sharing!

Regarding tappering. Tappering length varies based upon the length of your race. I'll throw out a general guideline:

Sprints = 1 day
Olympic = 2 to 3 days (It depends upon how you feel)
HIM = 1 to 2 weeks (Published HIM/70.3 plans usually include tapper weeks or a week)
IM = 2 to 3 weeks (Again IM plans will usually incorporate a tappering plan for you.)

Tappering doesn't mean that you stop all together. During longer tappering periods....workouts are 15 minutes to 30 minutes of each discipline. As you get closer to your event, your workouts get shorter. For example: Just prior to my HIM in July, my plan called for 2 weeks of tappering. The workouts started at 30 to 40 minutes with easy level intensities. They progressively got shorter until the day before the event. The bike was 15 minutes; run was 10 minutes; and the swim was 10 minutes.

The theory is that you have trained and if you feel like your not prepared, don't think that it will help you if you go out and do a 120 mile ride, or a 10 mile run, or a 2 mile swim. It won't matter. You would be better off to just remind your body, what it has to do on race day with the shorter workouts.

Does that make sense? Let me know if I can help clarify anything.

THANKS!

Rich
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46