BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2008-04-22 2:26 PM
in reply to: #1098772

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Subject: RE: Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME

I haven't abandoned y'all-- but I just haven't had 5 free minutes to post much! And I miss you! This summer weather is sure a lure!! 

Will post more later, including my workout plan for this now already started week!!

Found us a nanny- she seems great and starts 5/29-- now I can build LOTS of workouts into  my summer future!!!!!

2008-04-22 9:19 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Bob that is fantastic!!!!

Ame- Whooop!  I wish!  I felt so bad for hubby tonight.  We went to a parent teacher conference and got home at 4:45, I was out the door by 5:10 for my workout and got home, asked him to go to the store for me for ice for my ice bath.  Sat there for 15 min, took my shower.  Took the little one to the store for a promised treat and looked at the clock 8:45.  I am going to owe this guy BIG!!!

Mimi- Question for you.  If the standard diet is to be 2000 calories to maintain your weight and I burn 2500 calories in the days workouts, do I have to replace them all?  I mean do I have to eat 4500 calories to maintain now?

2008-04-23 4:54 AM
in reply to: #1355966

User image

Master
South Florida
tri-chic - 2008-04-22 10:19 PM

Mimi- Question for you.  If the standard diet is to be 2000 calories to maintain your weight and I burn 2500 calories in the days workouts, do I have to replace them all?  I mean do I have to eat 4500 calories to maintain now?

Well, you should be eating your 2000 calories in food, but during training you're taking in nutrition, so figure you take in about 1/2 of what you burn on the bike and 1/3 on the run, plus recovery nutrition is another roughly 125-250 cal., which leaves a smaller deficit.  You may or may not lose weight...you may have to add in a few calories if you are finding you are fatigued or not recovering quickly. 

I didn't really pay attention to food calories so much during my IM training, especially the last 4 months and only lost about 3-4 pounds total the last few months.  But I'm a pig Embarassed

2008-04-23 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
My big news- just registered for Fred's Team for the NYC Mary in November!!!!! This SHOULD nearly guarantee me an entry....here's hoping!!!!!!  I'm so excited! Now I have to raise $3000 for cancer research......... but I'm happy and proud to do it! I had a breast cancer scare two years ago this week and Sloan Kettering Hospital was THE BEST!!! Got me in for an appointment in two days!!!!! I am glad to be on their team!!!!
2008-04-24 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
Amy-I'm jealous of you!! Nanny and NYC Marathon? What a week!

TriChic asked about nutrition. 2000 calories is what you need as a normal active person. If you add the exercise burned amount to it you have to subtract from the 2000 per day number based on how long the exercise took.

To avoid hard math I don't do it that way. It takes 10 calories per pound of you to keep you alive all day if you do nothing (for me, that's 1350) then I add my workout to that (so a 5 mile run would be 500 calories). Because I sit all day for my job, this works out pretty well. Lately I've been trying to balance it weekly, because its hard to eat so much one day and then a lot less the next. So this week the bike/run/swim trainign should burn about 6300 calories. Divide by 7, you get 900 per day. I add this number to 1500 (easy math and accounts for the walking around in a typical day) to get 2400 average per day. I try to stay near or under this number. If I go way over, like yesterday I was near 3000 I mentally note that and try to balance the rest of the week.

Way too much thought!! I liked it better when I wasn't obsessed and just ate when I was hungry and what I liked. Of course I weighed 20 pounds more then (and as much as 50 pounds more at one point). Evidently hungry and what I like equals bad for me!
2008-04-24 8:20 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Can I borrow the nanny.  My wife just left for a women's retreat so it's me and the 3 kids for the next 48 hours.  Will make training a challenge (oh and no school tomorrow

May the weather be good to get outside. 

2008-04-24 10:03 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

sorry all...been kind of busy, and just finished packing for the weekend..after searching for Quinn's running shoes, a call from Jonathan helped us locate them IN THE SPARE TIRE COMPARTMENT .  I am hoping to flog Scott soon!!!  Taking the laptop to St. Pete, so maybe I'll have a moment then!! 

Hope you survive, let alone train, Scott!!  I know you're gonna miss your wife!!!!!

2008-04-25 10:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark

Thanks for all the inspires lately. I haven’t been around here much, only updating my blog. It’s been 2 week of hell here at work, but now we are finally certified.

Now I can concentrate on packing for our trip.

Wheels and handlebar has arrived and I’m working every evening to assemble the new bike. Only the brakes are missing now, but who needs brakes for a triathlon. Bike should be finished tonight - test drive this weekend. Monday I’ll take the new bike to work to show it off to the sponsor. Pictures in my album will also come as soon as it’s finished.

I also got my bike suitcase yesterday – HUGE I might add. But only room enough for the bike and the 3 wheels.

List of item’s to remember is several feet long. I keep telling myself that we are only going to be there for 3½ weeks.

I’ve tested the Zipp 404 wheels on my race bike two times when commuting to work. Lovely wheels and a bit faster. Maybe it’s because I’m pushing a bit harder, but my HR are about the same as usual. They are also faster to spin up into speed, 700 grams lighter than my training wheels. Cant’ wait to try the new tri bike with the disc wheel.

The bike has not become as I initially planned, more carbon, less weight and a lot more $$$$. The wheels are half the price of the complete bike - thank you sponsor. I got it insured, as a crash, theft or transport damage would break me financially. This bike is way over my ability, but I like it.

We are leaving Denmark on Wednesday 6 am. We are really looking forward to the holiday, finally time to do the required training, which I have been skipping the last week. I’ll bring my laptop and there is internet access in our condo, so I’ll keep you all updated.

That’s all for now, running shoes are waiting at home…

Hans

2008-04-27 4:37 PM
in reply to: #1355051

User image

Veteran
Tucson
aquinn - 2008-04-22 12:26 PM

I haven't abandoned y'all-- but I just haven't had 5 free minutes to post much! And I miss you! This summer weather is sure a lure!! 

Will post more later, including my workout plan for this now already started week!!

Found us a nanny- she seems great and starts 5/29-- now I can build LOTS of workouts into  my summer future!!!!!

Ya mean I'm not the only one who has gone AWOL???? 

Sorry that I haven't been around much lately -- still don't have my computer functional at school and I've been playing catch-up at home.   It's a cumulative thing: first the taxes, then the macaroni mayhem, then Passover, and now my mom's had some sort of stomach bug since Friday.  BLEAH!  And I have done squat as far as training.   (Which was supposed to help me deal with stuff like this.)

OK, tomorrow starts a new week.  I WILL run tomorrow!  And I will check my blog and respond back to ya'll.

(No, I'm not from Texas, but growing up in New Mexico left an indelible imprint.

2008-04-27 8:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Guess Who got a PB and came within 47 seconds of her self-proclaimed "perfect race"??

THAT'S RIGHT!!!!! It's OUR OWN MIMI! Way to go, Mimi!!!!! 

2008-04-28 10:54 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Way to GO!

Dang you are getting fast!!! 

2008-04-29 5:15 AM

User image

Master
South Florida

Thanks guys...I'm blushing Embarassed.  Nothing like your season opener to get you fired up for racing again!  Now I feel like I will be ready for the Disney Half.

So it's all quite around here...is that because we have been moved to the old news section?  How does that work? 

2008-04-29 5:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
We don't have to disband......do we??
2008-04-29 11:03 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
We do not have to disband...as long as we post and inspire
2008-04-29 2:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark

Disband? No way!

Just had an e-mail from "Florida 70.3":

"Bib numbers will come Monday, if you don't want a bib, hit reply"

Don't want a bib? They most be crazy, bike and bags are packed, I've been traing the last 6 months and we are ready to get on the plane in excatly 9 hours from now. Tomorrow this time we are in Florida.

And even better, it's raining here in Denmark.

Nice race, Mimi. I'm in for some hard competition I see. Looking forward to meet you in person.

I'll be off the internet for the next couple of days.

Regrads from Denmark

Hans

2008-04-29 4:17 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Have some great travels!!!

2008-04-29 7:58 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

Have a great trip Hans!  Are you staying mainly in the Orlando area, or will you be heading south at all??  Let me know if you are in/around/passing through the Ft. Lauderdale area!!  Otherwise, I'll see you when it's time for game on!

2008-04-29 8:02 PM
in reply to: #1370896

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark

We are staying mainly in Miami, with a short trip to the keys and 5 days in Orlando.

And now I have to run, I don't want to miss our plane

See you all

2008-04-29 8:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community

Wow, I couldn't find 'us' for a few minutes there! PANIC!!!  No way I'm leaving the mimir-r-rites!!

Thanks you guys for the inspires. As you can see I'm not always able to get on the computer and update everything.  It's absolutely crazy this time of year (and we now may have to move in 5 weeks - will find out today --  this would be a disaster, as my mom is flying over for June 7th graduation and we'd be packing out that week!  UGH!!)

Anyway, I've been advised by my wife and a bunch of her running pals to lay off the running or the PF will never go away........so I'm going to go whole hog on the swiomming and cycling and just try to maintain <10 miles per week on my feet.....and do what I can on the run in Bali.  By the time the run comes up, I think I'll be ready to go all-out and git 'er done!

2008-04-29 8:30 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

Hans...I am about an hour from Miami...maybe we can hook up for a pre-race training ride?  lemme know your plans when you are settled!

Bob...those runner people know what they're talking about-listen to them.  Now's your chance to become uber swim/bike dude

2008-04-30 5:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Off to go swim. Do I want to?

No. I feel junky- throat is full, coughing a bit, a little stuffed up. Just tired. Not to mention, it is 39 degrees outside. Yes, 39 degrees. And yes, I have looked at the calendar. I have also looked at a few snowflakes falling from the sky here and there today.

Will I go swim anyway?

Yes.

Why? Because my pool time is so limited, and I have 750 yards to go to reach my April challenge pledge for Team Exciting Elephants (I must say I resented being called an elephant all month. But I digress.) And sometimes, breathing in chlorinated water seems to clear my sinuses. Who knows why? Not me.

I am going to try out my wet suit for the first time- I anticipate swimming no more than 1000. Just get 'er done, as they say. Then come home and hit the hay, as they also say. Tomorrow is my rest day.

I am in deep with kicking off my fundraising events for the NYC Mary on behalf of Fred's Team/Sloan Kettering Memorial Cancer Center. My sister and I are running and have together pledged to raise $6,000 for pediatric cancer research. Yesterday, our own Mimi was nice enough to give me a phone consultation on how she raised $25,000 for the Janus Fund Charity to honor her friend's son, Kyle who suffers from muscular dystrophy. That's no typo- Mimi raised $25,000! She gave me lot of great ideas that I am already planning. Today, I worked with a friend who is in PR to write media alerts so we can get our stories in the paper. Because I have a history at Sloan (when I had my breast cancer scare) and because my sister worked for 7 summers at one of Paul Newman's camps for kids with cancer (it's even where she met her husband!), we want to adjust our Fred's Team homepage to personalize it some.  All of this is taking time- I have sent in our new page to Fred's Team for approval- they have sent it back denying changes-- as I mention myself as patient, I have to fill out a release- which I forgot to download today.  Add that to tomorrow's list.

Our first fundraiser will be at the home opener of the local women's semi-pro soccer team- my brother-in-law is the manager/head coach- and he is kindly donating all attendance proceeds to our cause. We want to fill the place- so I spent part of today doing online and written requests to Target, Walmart, Dick's Sporting Goods to see if we can get bikes, ipods, skateboards donated for giveaways to advertise in the hopes of getting more families to attend!

What's that you say? You'd like to learn more about how you can donate to my fund-raising efforts? [brace yourself for shamless plug] Check out my webpage at www.mskcc.org/fredsteam search me by athlete name- Amy Quinn, Lake Placid, NY.  On behalf of kids who struggle every day with the challenge of cancer and its effects, THANK YOU.  

Edited by aquinn 2008-04-30 5:20 PM

2008-04-30 5:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Awesome. Just looked at the spreadsheet and I only have to swim 650 to meet the challenge. Even better.....though hardly worth getting wet for.

2008-04-30 6:08 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

How did I totally forget I am supposed to be doing an ab challenge?????????????????  Guess I"ll have to do 50 reps on thurs, 50 on friday of all to reach the 100 each for this week...how's everyone else doing with this?

Amy-you're going to do great!!  Use your connections and don't ever be afraid to ask...I also remembered several friends kept a jar in the house, with a picture of Kyle and I on it, and they threw their change in for like 6-8 months.  The children really liked doing this-they felt they were helping.  And at a yard sale, a couple of confirmation students did a bake sale for their project and donated 100 bucks from it. 

2008-04-30 6:12 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

Put this flogging in Scott's inspire (how inspiring??) and he gave me the okey dokey to post it...in the hopes it will help someone else out.  Here's what I put:

my flogging was to revolve around the long term goal of 15% BF regardless of weight...and the weight gain since IMFL and that it doesn't seem to be high on your priority list (I say seem, cause I don't know what you day to day thoughts are)...and how you have some good speed goals, which will be more attainable with a lower weight and BF and so what are you going to do about it?

I just can't seem to find the time to put together a well-thought out flogging....but I can post this to the forum if you think your reply will help someone else...lemme know!!!

I do know I looked back to november and your body fast was, what, like 19%? and your weight was under 200. You can train all you want, but those changes will come from changes in the diet, which in turn will = faster times

2008-05-01 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Well, it's May. And time for me to regroup. The beginning of my April was very strong- then I came home and fell off a bit. Still met my Challenge Goals for April but didn't quite meet my training plan the last two weeks, though I overshot a rest week on vacation by quite a bit.  This is maybe not so horrible- since my training plan is for an Oly, but my race is not an Oly. 

I am seriously contemplating going home sick in a minute-- I'm just really run down-- and I need to be STRONG for May to get ready for the race at the end of June. Plus, I really want to do that uphill race next Saturday. 

In any event, this is my public admission that I need to regroup.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  

of 36