BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-02-12 6:32 AM
in reply to: #1205206

User image

Eastern PA
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed
Mama J - 2008-02-11 1:03 PM

Ok group.. here's the weird thing, I still can't believe. Not only did I finish my first race in 27.19 (8.45min/mi), but I was first in my age group (40-49). I didn't even stay around to get the time, and had no idea I would even place. I don't even think of myself as athletic. I guess I need to get a little more faith in myself.

J

Yeah for you! Great job! I am SO impressed. BTW, that is my age group too! First! Hooray!

2008-02-12 9:02 AM
in reply to: #1205996

User image

lmscozz - 2008-02-11 5:10 PM Hope you're feeling better, Heather --- and whoever else is out there sick and/or injured. I finally got to do some real swimming in the pool last Friday and it was blissful. Really, when I don't swim I'm a real witch to live with (ask my husband). When I DO swim -- life is so good! Plus, I found some tri clothing on sale at 70% off at a local swim shop. I bought some bike shorts, a cute two piece tri suit TYR brand (ladies you'll appreciate this) and a full wetsuit, a bike shirt for my husband and another top for biking for me --- all for $200! It's a tri wetsuit, too. Normally $175 . I thought I got a pretty good deal and I won't be cold in this ocean water here. The temp now is 57 degrees. the first lake race I'm planning, the water is about 68 -- The bay/ocean warms up to a balmy 60 something by May when the tri starts. At least I'll be well dressed -- Like in the Finding Nemo movie -- just keep training, just keep training,just keep training...Just keep swimming... Oh -- BTW -- thanks for the nudge to do the nutritionlog everyone. It's very cool. ~Lynn And, Welcome back Robyn -- Wie gates? (Is that how you spell it? High school German was a long time ago)

About that TYR suit.... its made of lycra and doesn't handle well with chlorine.  They make great suits, but they don't hold up well in chlorine.  You can see through the hiney of my TYR suit after only a few months of wear. 

Just keep an eye on the back end so you aren't showing your goods to everyone. 

2008-02-12 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1206851

User image

Master
triOK - 2008-02-12 9:02 AM

You can see through the hiney of my TYR suit after only a few months of wear. 

Had a problem with drafters did ya?

2008-02-12 11:05 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Thanks for the heads up -- or should I say bottoms up?

It's one of those shorts with the bike padding built in, so at least I"ll have another layer!
2008-02-12 12:38 PM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Extreme Veteran
Okay Okay Okay....

I promise to get back on track tomorrow. I'm having some family issues that jut takes all the fun out of working out. And I agree with a few, a workout might just be what I need to get away from things here at home. Heck it might even help me decide what to do.

In fact, I got my trainer yesterday, bike is all hooked up, and plan to start riding her tomorrow at the latest.

Tomorrow, I plan to work swim, bike and run of some distance. Maybe not like I was a few weeks ago, but I will be working up a sweat and maybe even solving life's million dollar question: Why do we get married?

Your friend,

Curt
2008-02-12 2:30 PM

User image

Expert

lmscozz - 2008-02-11 5:10 PM Hope you're feeling better, Heather --- and whoever else is out there sick and/or injured. I finally got to do some real swimming in the pool last Friday and it was blissful. Really, when I don't swim I'm a real witch to live with (ask my husband). When I DO swim -- life is so good! Plus, I found some tri clothing on sale at 70% off at a local swim shop. I bought some bike shorts, a cute two piece tri suit TYR brand (ladies you'll appreciate this) and a full wetsuit, a bike shirt for my husband and another top for biking for me --- all for $200! It's a tri wetsuit, too. Normally $175 . I thought I got a pretty good deal and I won't be cold in this ocean water here. The temp now is 57 degrees. the first lake race I'm planning, the water is about 68 -- The bay/ocean warms up to a balmy 60 something by May when the tri starts. At least I'll be well dressed -- Like in the Finding Nemo movie -- just keep training, just keep training,just keep training...Just keep swimming... Oh -- BTW -- thanks for the nudge to do the nutritionlog everyone. It's very cool. ~Lynn And, Welcome back Robyn -- Wie gates? (Is that how you spell it? High school German was a long time ago)

About that TYR suit.... its made of lycra and doesn't handle well with chlorine.  They make great suits, but they don't hold up well in chlorine.  You can see through the hiney of my TYR suit after only a few months of wear. 

That statement is worthless without a pic.....

2008-02-12 3:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
So the doctor said no training this week. I also asked him about the breathing issues that we were talking about earlier. I told him about the audible wheezing and not being able to get a deep breath. He said it sounded like exercise induced asthma and gave me an inhaler to try right before a workout to see if it helps. So we'll see next week. I guess this week I'll devote my time to my real job.
2008-02-12 3:37 PM
in reply to: #1207726

User image

gator22 - 2008-02-12 2:30 PM

You better watch what you say, sir, or you will get what you are asking for.  I may be little but I got enough @$$ for everyone here... You've seen the Otter Pop picture that proves it.

2008-02-12 3:52 PM
in reply to: #1207059

User image

Aviator1596 - 2008-02-12 10:27 AM

You can see through the hiney of my TYR suit after only a few months of wear. 

Had a problem with drafters did ya?

Nope... but the people at the pool thought it was funny.

2008-02-12 4:09 PM

Veteran
Exciting update. I did alright on my two test workouts this week so far, and my heart was not too bad. Palpitations were infrequent and my heart rate rose nice and slowly, and went back down after exercise this time. I got a script to start physical therapy for my knees and back to keep things safe there. I'm going to visit a cardiologist and get a eco and ekg while on a bike in a few weeks. Im also getting blood tests and all sorts of things to get full clearance. Woot!

Sarah
2008-02-12 4:38 PM
in reply to: #1207915

User image

Extreme Veteran
As our Mentor, I think you need so show us exactly what chlorine does to Lycra. I for one have no idea what your talking about. I am more of a visual person.

What does everyone else think?
triOK - 2008-02-12 4:37 PM

gator22 - 2008-02-12 2:30 PM

You better watch what you say, sir, or you will get what you are asking for.  I may be little but I got enough @$$ for everyone here... You've seen the Otter Pop picture that proves it.

2008-02-12 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran

All of this talk about our fearless leader educating us on the finer points of lycra disintegration has brought me out of my quiet lurking funk.

I've really slacked off.  My swimming went out the window entirely as I got to the point of not being able to lift my arms...even had to cancel my lessons and swim clinic which really pissed me off.  That was so frustrating to think maybe I wasn't going to be able to do a tri, that I let everything else slide.  Still doing some running, a little biking, and some weight lifting...but nothing like before....and I feel like a fat slug as a result...even though fortunately I haven't gained weight back.

I found a couple of things I was doing in my strength training that I've eliminated that has helped my shoulders some so I'm going to try a nice easy morning in the pool tomorrow and see if I can get back on track.

Good job to all of you that are still on track with your training.  I apologize for not being a better team member and supporting you rather than just doing my silent self pity...but I'll be better from today on!

Robyn good to have you back.  Did anyone start a schedule of member events anywhere that we can keep better track of who's entered somewhere?

2008-02-13 9:21 AM
in reply to: #1208122

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
aber4 - 2008-02-12 5:21 PM

All of this talk about our fearless leader educating us on the finer points of lycra disintegration has brought me out of my quiet lurking funk.

I've really slacked off.  My swimming went out the window entirely as I got to the point of not being able to lift my arms...even had to cancel my lessons and swim clinic which really pissed me off.  That was so frustrating to think maybe I wasn't going to be able to do a tri, that I let everything else slide.  Still doing some running, a little biking, and some weight lifting...but nothing like before....and I feel like a fat slug as a result...even though fortunately I haven't gained weight back.

I found a couple of things I was doing in my strength training that I've eliminated that has helped my shoulders some so I'm going to try a nice easy morning in the pool tomorrow and see if I can get back on track.

Good job to all of you that are still on track with your training.  I apologize for not being a better team member and supporting you rather than just doing my silent self pity...but I'll be better from today on!

Robyn good to have you back.  Did anyone start a schedule of member events anywhere that we can keep better track of who's entered somewhere?

Alan, glad to see you're back. Sounds like some over training- frutrations- burnout. Take a little break. Find some good motivating stuff, like Tri mags, books and video. maybe taper down for a week or so. It seems I keep having "things' thrown i my way of training. My wife decided to keep Boridie home form daycare today, but then she decided to sleep in, so I am here watching him. I have to wik tonight, and there will have to be some "family time" this afternoon. I'll get some training in somewhere, just not sure where.

Oh, and BTW, I would like to see our "Queen of All Things Tri's" Royal Hiney-ness too.Laughing

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-02-13 9:24 AM
2008-02-13 9:31 AM

User image

What?  You mean to tell me that hot pace booty is not motivation enough for you?  Ha!   Just kidding.

A good motivator for me:  sign up for a race.  Then you are committed and you HAVE to do it.

Another good one is finding tri/running mags and cutting the pics out and taping them to random things around your house, like the mirror in your bathroom, the fridge, microwave, tv set, etc.

2008-02-13 9:37 AM

User image

Curt-

Where in Michigan do you live?  If you are anywhere near Kensington Metropark, there is a large group of some of the best and wackiest BTers you'll find anywhere that get together on Saturdays to run.  If you are interested in joining us, you are more than welcome.  I guarantee a good time, a great workout, and recovery cocoa when you are done.  There is a recurring thread in the Michigan forum to get the details, but if you need info, let me know.  Usually its trixie (Lisa), rkreuser (Rick), matt3liv (Matt), rottieguy (Steve) and I.  We have had a few others drop in to run too.  Distance and pace is at your leisure.

These events are truly not to be missed.  Its a blast.

2008-02-13 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1209207

Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: triOK's group - over 40?
Some of us over 40 girls are wondering how many of us are there in our group. Ladies in the prime of their lives, please sound off and let us know.

Julia

2008-02-13 1:02 PM
in reply to: #1208053

User image

mifiremedic - 2008-02-12 4:38 PM As our Mentor, I think you need so show us exactly what chlorine does to Lycra. I for one have no idea what your talking about. I am more of a visual person. What does everyone else think? 

Its something similar to this....

Spandex.jpg fat guys. image by alexxandraalisha

Hope this clears up any need for visuals.

Edited by triOK 2008-02-13 1:09 PM
2008-02-13 1:06 PM
in reply to: #1209702

User image

Eastern PA
Mama J - 2008-02-13 1:23 PM

Some of us over 40 girls are wondering how many of us are there in our group. Ladies in the prime of their lives, please sound off and let us know.

Julia

Count me in... soon to be 47 on Feb 23rd. And.... I'd like to know about the boys too! :D
Leticia

Edited by teash 2008-02-13 1:07 PM
2008-02-13 1:42 PM
in reply to: #1209835

User image

Indianapolis, Indiana
Where did you find my BEFORE picture???????

I thought I burned all the copies!!!!

Clay

Edited by cworley 2008-02-13 1:43 PM
2008-02-13 3:28 PM

User image

Master

Edited by Aviator1596 2008-03-26 7:26 PM
2008-02-13 10:01 PM
in reply to: #1210386

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Aviator1596 - 2008-02-13 4:28 PM

OK, early on in this thing I promised some bike action, so here you go....

Yesterday, I started in the search for the bike.  I have been doing a fair amount of reading, and have a few choices in mind, but am not married to any one brand.  It's all about the fit right??? After visiting  a couple of local bike shops, I believe am I going with one that carries a lot of Giant, and in particular I am very interested in the Giant OCR1.  Why you ask... It has an aluminum frame with carbon fork, and seat stay.  Component level is 105, and I think you get the most bang for your buck (at least at my price point for a first road bike).  I was thinking a lot about a carbon frame, but given as this is my first road bike, (I did my first tri on a mountain bike with slicks) and I am bound to make mistakes, I would rather make the mistakes on an $1100 bike vice a $3000 bike. 

I will admit to a fair amount of nervousness with the road bike, especially when it comes to riding around here.  Let's just say OKC is not the most bike friendly city I have seen.  After I gain a little confidence, I would really like to do a few group rides, and one of the local shops has a few every week.  My plan for gaining cofidence is several hours on the trainer, folllowed by a few rides around Lake Hefner multi-use trail (about a 10 mile loop), and then I may be ready to go public. 

Any advice out there is appreciated.....

Although that is a great bike (buddy has one) if you plan on doing alot of tri's I would highly look at a tri specific bike. I just started doing this last year and bought a road bike which worked ok until I started doing longer races and training, then I tried a tri bike and it is SO much more comfortable. Not to mention the money I spent trying to make my road bike more tri friendly I could have bought another whole bike.

2008-02-13 10:07 PM
in reply to: #1209702

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Mama J - 2008-02-13 10:23 AM

Julia

I'm 47. I'd like to know about the guys, too. I figure if I can run my first 1/2 marathon at 47...what else can I do? My first tri --

~Lynn
2008-02-13 10:15 PM

User image

Veteran

I turn the big 4-0 in August 

2008-02-13 10:55 PM
in reply to: #1211249

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
I'm 42, going on 33.  (Yep, this is my midlife crisis. Why the hell do ya think I got into tri's?!! )
2008-02-13 11:11 PM
in reply to: #1211240

User image

Master

lmscozz - 2008-02-13 10:07 PM I'd like to know about the guys, too.

I am 38 and act like I am 13.... 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52