BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2008-05-01 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1098772

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME
It's natural to feel a bit scattered and unmotivated after a big effort.  Now just get back on track with a plan.  You had great vacation and worked really hard and won your tri   Try to stick with a plan now, as they are usually designed in a way that allows you to build, peak, etc. at the appropriate times. 

2008-05-01 12:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=35162&ID=4921...

My pics from the 10 miler last weekend, I'm running hard but my form is a mess!! What's up with me and advice is welcome.

I was running hard too, 8:05 in the first 2 and 7:30 in the third one. Honestly, if I could get my form better would I be faster?
2008-05-01 2:14 PM
in reply to: #1375393

User image

Master
South Florida

k_hase - 2008-05-01 1:25 PM http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=35162&ID=... My pics from the 10 miler last weekend, I'm running hard but my form is a mess!! What's up with me and advice is welcome. I was running hard too, 8:05 in the first 2 and 7:30 in the third one. Honestly, if I could get my form better would I be faster?

you are definitely crossing midline with your arms in one pic...I always give the visual of "choo choo arms"...elbows bent at 90 degrees, loose fist, shoulders relaxed, arms pushing forward -think momentum...crossing at midline causes your torso to twist and is counter productive...otherwise, you look GREAT and still went FAST!!!!! 

2008-05-01 2:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
I've always had low knees and straight legs, a shuffle more than a run even when fast and my arms have always stuck out like that too. Its why I trip and fall when running sometimes, I don't pick my feet up at all. I'm not sure why I'm twisting so much in the last one, I didn't see the camera but wonder if I was trying to go around something the way my foot is sticking out too.

I had a coach once who taught us to think 'hammer hands', like we were trying to pound a nail in the wall behind us with a hammer in our hands. I wonder if its the sleeveless shirt and I'm avoiding chafeing? I'm going to look at my long sleeve pics and see if my arms are down.

2008-05-01 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Ya sure were fast!! Imagine if you could go FASTER. Holy Mackeral.

2008-05-01 5:27 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

just saw my pics from St. A's that ASI took....hilarious.  I am a dork..embarrassing!!!  I TOO have my arms crossing all over the place whilst running!!!  As well as my tongue haning OUT in one.  Guess mechanics are always easier in theory!  However, I'm sure I could have been a few seconds faster had I kept my mouth closed

check this out, if I linked it properly.  my apologies.

2008-05-01 6:30 PM
in reply to: #1373566

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Mimir98 - 2008-04-30 5:12 PM

Put this flogging in Scott's inspire (how inspiring??) and he gave me the okey dokey to post it...in the hopes it will help someone else out. Here's what I put:

my flogging was to revolve around the long term goal of 15% BF regardless of weight...and the weight gain since IMFL and that it doesn't seem to be high on your priority list (I say seem, cause I don't know what you day to day thoughts are)...and how you have some good speed goals, which will be more attainable with a lower weight and BF and so what are you going to do about it?

I just can't seem to find the time to put together a well-thought out flogging....but I can post this to the forum if you think your reply will help someone else...lemme know!!!

I do know I looked back to november and your body fast was, what, like 19%? and your weight was under 200. You can train all you want, but those changes will come from changes in the diet, which in turn will = faster times

I looked to IMFL for so long, years in fact.  I made choices and changes to help me get there.  In 2006 I made a concerted effort to eat "well" in preparation for my HIM.  I gave up foods I loved for great periods of time.  After that, it was a 14 month time frame to IM.  I was constantly conscious of my weight and tracking trends.  In 2007,  I "tried" to eat well again, but I allowed myself more "cheat" days.  As summer went on and the training volume increased, I justified my office snacking as just refueling with the simple sugars (read candy, chips etc).  I could get away with it and maintained and dropped a little weight anyways.  I think back, what if I had been more disciplined? By the last week of October, I was fitter/leaner than I had been in years.

Nov 3, I accomplished a long term goal - I finished an Ironman.  After that, I totally relaxed.  Maybe the proper phrase would be "cast off restraint" for a period.  I.E. one goal for November was 6 pizzas (not all at once )

Also, I had gotten back into Peanut Butter.  Moderation is good, but addiction is bad.  did you know a 2 tablespoon serving of PB has 200 calories?   Our family would go through 2 jars a week and I am the major contributor to that.  I can grab a spoon and eat it like ice cream (unrefrigerated natural PB is kind of like soft serve)

Many good eating habits I have gotten back to, but the vices have still been there.  The sodas (Mtn Dew junkie) and the PB.  (Pizzas and Ice Cream are back to be post race treats)

Another thing I have rationalized is that I am doing pretty good for this time of year, see my run PR's are dropping.  But that is in spite of my diet,  not because of it.  Of course my PR's are going to drop, I have increase some of the run training and I am not running 10k's after a warm up of 1500 m swims and 40k bikes. 

So, it's May 1, and what am I going to do?  Kick the soda habit and avoid PB, I have proven I cannot do it in moderation.  Also may need to bump up some of the bike time now that it is starting to get nice (Yes, today is an exception - it has been snowing off and on all day).

My 15% goal is a couple of years down the road, but I should be able to hit 19% by my HIM in 19 weeks.

After you reach your goals, don't let up, set new ones.  Learn from others mistakes instead of having to make them yourself. 

2008-05-01 7:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

I agree, Scott. It is easy to say "I am doing well with my weight even though I eat a handful or three of MandM's a few times a week." But saying that I am doing well in spite of it does not mean that I would not be doing better without it.   I pretty much kicked eating between meals in Florida and have been good about that since coming home (except for planned snacks, like fruit, etc) But now I am letting it sneak back in some, and the first week it made no difference, but this week it did. Not irreversible but a difference.  Thanks for bringing this up.

Time now for a rant-- from my sick bed where I have spent most of the day. For those of you just tuning in, I have had a sore throat all week- today it has turned to achiness, stuffiness and a cough. I came home from work and slept 3 hours this afternoon- haven't moved too far from the bed all day.  I must say that I HATE IT when my non-athletic friends say stuff like this:

'NO wonder you're sick= you're not doing your body any favors with all those crazy workouts. You need to listen to your body. No workouts for a week, I'm telling you"

Message to friend- NO, I'm telling YOU. I do listen to my body. Why do you think I came home today and slept? My body LIKES working out. I need it to lessen stress, to feel alive, to keep this energy level. As soon as my body tells me to ( and it will be soon, I hope), I will begin working out in moderation, if necessary, because I like it and my body likes it and I don't use being sick as an excuse for not doing it one day longer than necessary. I haven't taken a day off sick from work in as long as I can remember (my boss came off the bench and panicked cause he thought something was really wrong with me, since I went home) I'll work out again when I want to and I bet I can listen to my body a lot better that you can, cause me and my body, we are real tight.

SO SHUT UP.  [rant over...thank you for listening]

And PS Mountain Dew is poison. The peanut butter is okay so long as you put the spoon down and walk away.

2008-05-01 7:46 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

Geeze Amy, you're sick all the time   JK...it's always interesting to hear those not in the know try to act all in the know.

So Scott, I have some of my clients doing something for the month of May, starting on Monday...Maybe you want to take part?

They are writing out what they will eat every day for 28 days,  in 5 meals of 300 calories each (you would need more, being a manly man).  They can fudge a little, like if a meal is 500 cal perhaps a snack will be 100.  Just 28 days.  Not a diet, just thoughtful eating...if you know you are going to have a spoonful of peanut butter, perhaps on an apple would be nice, then you need to eat less fat and fewer calories for another meal.  If you want pizza, have a LARGE salad before the pizza is going to be ready/delivered, then just have a slice...I gave them a few ideas for 300 calorie meals/snacks - just googled it...if you want I can email it to you.

My take is that food isn't a reward or punishment.  Eat to live, rather than living to eat.  Food is to nourish your body, not your soul (well, except for chocolate ).  I know it's kind of preachy for me to say this, but really the sooner you look at food as your friend, and your body as your temple, the easier it will be to let go of funny food issues.   Ask yourself if you would feed your child or even your pet the same things you feed yourself. 

That will be 5 cents  

2008-05-01 10:14 PM
in reply to: #1373465

User image

Veteran
Tucson
aquinn - 2008-04-30 3:16 PM

What's that you say? You'd like to learn more about how you can donate to my fund-raising efforts? [brace yourself for shamless plug] Check out my webpage at www.mskcc.org/fredsteam search me by athlete name- Amy Quinn, Lake Placid, NY.  On behalf of kids who struggle every day with the challenge of cancer and its effects, THANK YOU.  

$18.00 for a wonderful cause got the ball rolling!  (In Jewish numerology, the letters of the word "chai" - "life" add up to 18 -- so many donations are $18 or multiples of 18).   

2008-05-02 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
I found that trying to eat properly has done more feed my food obessions. When I didn't think about it, ate what I was hungry for and didn't concern myself with calories or quanitity I weighed 15 pounds more, but I never ever thought about it, worried about it or beat myself up over it.

Once I started to think about it I became consumed by food and its values, nutritionally and as fuel. A splurge on ice cream or candy sent me into a mental tailspin and started me on the path to very unhealthy habits. The therapists say 'eat when you are hungry', 'determine, am I eating this for hunger' but I'm not sure it works. The panic attack that occured last fall when a friends mother served me french toast coated in butter told me that I was a mess. Seriously a mess. My heart raced at the thought of eating it.

The last couple of months have been better, I dont' weigh what I want, but I'm enjoying some foods again and allowing myself to have donut without wanting to jump off a building. However, I fear I've that I've replaced my unhealthy reactions to eating with two-a-days for ironman training.

I'm not sure what works, I'd love to not think about food and just eat.

2008-05-02 9:24 AM
in reply to: #1376985

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
jacsuza - 2008-05-01 10:14 PM
aquinn - 2008-04-30 3:16 PM

What's that you say? You'd like to learn more about how you can donate to my fund-raising efforts? [brace yourself for shamless plug] Check out my webpage at www.mskcc.org/fredsteam search me by athlete name- Amy Quinn, Lake Placid, NY.  On behalf of kids who struggle every day with the challenge of cancer and its effects, THANK YOU.  

$18.00 for a wonderful cause got the ball rolling!  (In Jewish numerology, the letters of the word "chai" - "life" add up to 18 -- so many donations are $18 or multiples of 18).   

THANKS, SUZANNE!

I love the life-affirming Jewish numerology connection! Way cool! And I feel one with it this week since the Boss made us matzo ball soup and haroseth! I must confess- I had to draw the line at gefilte fish.  I guess I'm too shiksa for that.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling!!!!!!!!!

2008-05-02 9:28 AM
in reply to: #1377498

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

k_hase - 2008-05-02 7:52 AM  However, I fear I've that I've replaced my unhealthy reactions to eating with two-a-days for ironman training.

On this website, you won't find too many people that find  problem with that Cool

2008-05-02 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....I'm not all that far from Waitsfield, Vermont.  I am, however, lacking the capital for this type of upgrade. Interesting article, nonetheless....

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/fashion/01fitness.html?pagewanted=1&ref=health

2008-05-02 2:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark
Hi all I'm back on the internet, but not from Florida. I'm afraid I have very bad news.

We left Denmark and arrived at Miami international at 3 pm, and after staying in line for 2 hours at the passport control, we were taken into custody by the custom and border protection. Apparently there was something with Jette and her stay in Miami more than 10 years ago. She was questioned for several hours and was told that she was no imitable to the USA because the violated her stay some 18 years ago. We talked to the police for several hours and they said it was an unfair decision, and they tried to work something out. After 7 hours they told us that they would give Jette probation for 25 days and that I could take our kids to the hotel. It was past midnight and the kids were exhausted. Jette should stay and finished the paperwork and would come a couple of hours later with a cab. I received a message from Jette at 5am that suddenly they would not let her enter. She was to go back to Paris on the first flight. I called custom and border protection, but there was nothing to do. I got the kids up and went to the airport, got our tickets rescheduled, so we could get back on the same plane as Jette. Of cause the plane was overbooked, but a very helpful American Airline worker helped me sort things out. She even arranged our return tickets to be used as payment, nothing that was normal.

Jette was delivered to the plane by the custom and border protection and another helpful AA worker arranged that we could all sit together. She hadn’t had anything descent to eat since she was brought in and she was very cold and tired after sitting in the over air-conditioned waiting room for almost 26 hours without any sleep.

The trip home were very tough, the kids was eager to go to Disney, Jette’s daughter were to see her American father, I had trained for a very long time, we had saved for this trip and were all supposed to have the vacation of out life.

When we got back to Denmark and claimed our baggage, we discovered than my bike hard case was broken. Nothing happened to the bike itself, but the 2 wheels were missing. My brand new disc wheel and front wheel was gone. My other rear wheel was damaged beyond repair. I glad I got it insured.

Now all I have do is to start the “battle” with the insurance company and try to get as much as possible refunded for our trip.

I won’t get to start in the 70.3 in Disney and I won’t get to see you, Mimi. But we are all okay and have only lost our vacation and some money.

That’s all for now – but I’ll be back

Hans

2008-05-02 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Oh, Hans. I don't know what to say! That is awful. I am glad you are all okay. But what a disappointment for all of you. On behalf of our country, I'm terribly, terribly sorry. How awful! That was not at all the post we were hoping to get from you!

2008-05-02 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Let's see if I understand this -- they won't let your wife in because of some minor infraction 18 years ago, but yet we have parents' cars in the parking lot where I teach with Sonoran (Mexican) license plates on them -- kids who transfer back and forth between here an Mexico.  I'll be honest -- I don't know where I stand on the whole immigration thing  even though I'm living in the middle of it.  It just seems plain wrong though, what they did to you and your family.  You weren't planning to stay; you have your lives in your own country; you were just going to come, have a good time, help our economy a little and go home.  It's just wrong, and I'm sorry you and your family had to go through this.  Yell
2008-05-02 9:58 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Oh.my.gosh.  Hans.  That is unreal.  Not for real.  makes no sense.  I am so bummed for you and your family.  I would be so very, very mad.....you're seemingly taking this better than I would Cry
2008-05-04 4:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Hey -- just poked around and it looks like lots of us have the crud.  Hope that everyone (including me) gets better SOON!
2008-05-04 5:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark

It was a big disapointment for us all to go back to Denmark. Out kids took it very well, I guess that Jette and I was feeling worse. But we wount let us be beaten. Tomorrow we are going to the American embasy in Copenhagen to try to get a visa for Jette.

Don't know if it's going to happen, but we are hoping to be back in Florida soon to have the rest of our vacation. If not, we might go some were else just to relax.

I'm already been offered a set of race whells to loan, so if we are able to come back, I'll be ready at Disney.

Hope to see you soon, Mimi

2008-05-04 7:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
WOW! You guys are tough. Good for you! I hope it works out for you......you still have almost 2 weeks till the race, right?  GOOD LUCK AT THE EMBASSY! (and if it doesn't work, pick someone where nice to go relax!)

2008-05-04 8:50 PM
in reply to: #1380840

User image

Master
South Florida
DDTech - 2008-05-04 6:16 PM

I'm already been offered a set of race whells to loan, so if we are able to come back, I'll be ready at Disney.

Hope to see you soon, Mimi

Well...I don't have a spare set of race wheels, but I do have a spare set of wheels....You all NEED a vacation after what you went through...I am pretty happy to hear there is a *chance* you might still race Disney!!  I have some room if you need a place to crash for a few days before or after!!!  I am about 3 hours from the race site, leaving on friday the 16th. 

2008-05-05 10:10 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Hans, may the right thing happen for you and your family.  Keep training as if you are racing it (or I guess maybe tapering as the case may be)

2008-05-06 12:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Hey Mimi (or anyone else who wants to weigh in) -- I've got a question about resuming running after a 3 week break (yes, it's been since April 18).  At that point, I was doing a 3:05/1:55 run/walk ratio.  I suspect that I should back off from that when I start up again on Wednesday.  But by how much?  I don't particularly want to go all the way back to square one (which was a 1/4 ratio).  Any thoughts on how far I should back up?  Thanks!
2008-05-06 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

I am not even close to an expert but I say try to pick up right where you left off and you will know at once if it is too much- in the first mile! But don't rely on me- listen to Mimi.

Mimi?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  

of 36