Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2010-02-17 8:17 PM
in reply to: #2555870

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Experior's Group - CLOSED
Got a spin class in followed by 5 mile run. Been a long day. Time to eat and go to bed.Cool

Phil

2010-02-17 11:09 PM
in reply to: #2678529

User image

Expert
Salem
StlPhil - 2010-02-17 6:17 PM Got a spin class in followed by 5 mile run. Been a long day. Time to eat and go to bed.Cool

Phil

I did a 1500 yd swim workout this evening and a 4.79 mile run (was suppose to be a 45 min run); close enough.  I need to drink more water during the day.  I was so hungry when I got back.  We ate pizza; no beer though.  I'll burn it off tomorrow morning.

I remember now the person who gave me the lesson on Trigger Point said you really need to keep hydrated hwne you are doing trigger point.  I could feel it in my legs while swimming.  I got cramps for the first time.  Was able to get some Powerade in me along with a Gu before my run which helped.  Bike class in the morning.

I bought a used pair of Easton EA50sl wheels from Classified on BT.  Good starter pair for me. 
2010-02-18 6:03 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Good morning everyone.  Here's hoping everyone has a great day.  What's on tap?

Me:  work.  I trained a lot yesterday, and work suffered.  So today work takes precedence.  Probably nothing until a bike session later tonight.
2010-02-18 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2678730

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
TriGuyBri - 2010-02-17 11:09 PM
StlPhil - 2010-02-17 6:17 PM Got a spin class in followed by 5 mile run. Been a long day. Time to eat and go to bed.Cool

Phil

I did a 1500 yd swim workout this evening and a 4.79 mile run (was suppose to be a 45 min run); close enough.  I need to drink more water during the day.  I was so hungry when I got back.  We ate pizza; no beer though.  I'll burn it off tomorrow morning.

Just out of necessity because of time I am combining workouts. Time is a real issue. Mondays and Wednesdays I am hitting the cycling class and hitting the track right after. Tuesdays and Thursdays it’s the pool followed by shorter recovery runs. Saturday will be my long run day. Off on Friday and Sunday or I may start working in some weights in on off cardio days. All workouts following work. That I can stay up later at night and sleep later in the morning if need be.

However, with the longer workouts 2+ hours I’m thinking nutrition is a little bit of an issue. Any suggestions on what to the eat or drink jumping off the bike or out of the pool and hitting the track for a run. I really get hungry during the run and feel like I’m dragging a bit.

Phil

2010-02-18 12:17 PM
in reply to: #2679169

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2010-02-18 10:12 AM
TriGuyBri - 2010-02-17 11:09 PM

Phil

Just out of necessity because of time I am combining workouts. Time is a real issue. Mondays and Wednesdays I am hitting the cycling class and hitting the track right after. Tuesdays and Thursdays it’s the pool followed by shorter recovery runs. Saturday will be my long run day. Off on Friday and Sunday or I may start working in some weights in on off cardio days. All workouts following work. That I can stay up later at night and sleep later in the morning if need be.

However, with the longer workouts 2+ hours I’m thinking nutrition is a little bit of an issue. Any suggestions on what to the eat or drink jumping off the bike or out of the pool and hitting the track for a run. I really get hungry during the run and feel like I’m dragging a bit.

Phil

I like to take in nutrition if my workout is going to be around 2 hours or more.   If I'm going to take in nutrition, then I go into 'race mode' and do it just as I would during a race, i.e., from the beginning, and on the same schedule.  So in particular, for me (but different things will work for different people!) that means:

Swim:  afterwards take a gel.
Bike: I generally go on a schedule of strong sports drink on the 0:15 and 0:45, gel on the 0:00 and 0:30.  If it is going to be 3+ hours then for the first 2 hours I'll munch on a Cliff bar or dried fruit or something on the 0:15 and gel on the 0:45.
Run:  gel every 20-30 minutes.

And water to thirst.

In a race I don't drink water during the swim, of course (except by accident!), but during a workout I will take in some water.

2010-02-18 12:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
a great run this am. felt strong all the way through. negative 5 mile splits. possibly because it takes a while for my legs to loosen up.

2010-02-18 5:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Hi everyone - Kind of a rough week here in West Chester.   Between work, a nasty migraine (from work) and my shoulder it's been a challenge to get my workouts in (but I'm managing!)  I have a bike workout planned for tonight while I watch the games (hopefully hockey) and a long run planned for tomorrow at lunch time.  I can't wait until Monday morning to get these god-awful stitches out!

Scout
2010-02-18 8:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Had an awesome run tonight. Awesome for me anyways. I was going to swim then follow up with a 3 mile run. Got to the Y and the pool was closed! To much chlorine. ARRRGGH! Well, not to let my workout suffer I jumped on a bike for 20 min and headed for the track. I began to pick up the pace a little and finished my first mile at 10:24. Felt pretty good so I pushed a little harder. I finished my second mile at 10:01! NO FRIGGIN WAY. My goal has always been to break the 10 min mark. I never was really sure if I could with my ankle situation and all. I thought If I'm going to do it, tonight is the night. I pushed it even a little harder. My 3rd mile was 9:26! NO FRIGGIN WAY AGAIN! The 3 mile average was 9:57! Not only did I break the 10 min mile, I broke the 10 min average for 3 Miles!

In the last year I have had several mile stones. Walking pain free for the first time in 20 years. Walking without a crazy limp. Having an orthopedic guy tell me I could actually exercise, even run again. Running a mile after barely being able to walk for so long. Running 9 miles. Swimming a mile non-stop. Doing an indoor tri. But, this is the BIGGEST one yet, I RAN A MILE UNDER FRRIGGIN 10 minutes. This was a HUGE belief barrier for me.

BTW Michael, thanks for all your help. I really mean everyone in the group. You are all such  inspirations to me.  And Michael thanks for the input on nutrition. I think it was the bag of Skittles I had before the workout that gave me the energy to break the 10 min mark! Wink

Phil

Edited by StlPhil 2010-02-18 10:01 PM
2010-02-19 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2680845

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
StlPhil - 2010-02-18 9:18 PM Had an awesome run tonight. Awesome for me anyways. I was going to swim then follow up with a 3 mile run. Got to the Y and the pool was closed! To much chlorine. ARRRGGH! Well, not to let my workout suffer I jumped on a bike for 20 min and headed for the track. I began to pick up the pace a little and finished my first mile at 10:24. Felt pretty good so I pushed a little harder. I finished my second mile at 10:01! NO FRIGGIN WAY. My goal has always been to break the 10 min mark. I never was really sure if I could with my ankle situation and all. I thought If I'm going to do it, tonight is the night. I pushed it even a little harder. My 3rd mile was 9:26! NO FRIGGIN WAY AGAIN! The 3 mile average was 9:57! Not only did I break the 10 min mile, I broke the 10 min average for 3 Miles!

In the last year I have had several mile stones. Walking pain free for the first time in 20 years. Walking without a crazy limp. Having an orthopedic guy tell me I could actually exercise, even run again. Running a mile after barely being able to walk for so long. Running 9 miles. Swimming a mile non-stop. Doing an indoor tri. But, this is the BIGGEST one yet, I RAN A MILE UNDER FRRIGGIN 10 minutes. This was a HUGE belief barrier for me.

BTW Michael, thanks for all your help. I really mean everyone in the group. You are all such  inspirations to me.  And Michael thanks for the input on nutrition. I think it was the bag of Skittles I had before the workout that gave me the energy to break the 10 min mark! Wink

Phil

WooooHoooo... under 10 minutes is such a huge milestone!  So many great accomplishments this year, Phil... looking forward to celebrating your century mark too!  Keep it rolling, man...

Skittles, eh?

My daughter is in oral surgery while I write this from the waiting room.  Fingers crossed that she has a quick recovery from chipmunk cheeks!

As always, send in your results on the Feb goals tomorrow and I'll post the updated table on Sunday.  It's been a really busy week for me, but managed to get all the workouts in.  Woke up with a sore throat this morning though... hoping it doesn't develop into a full blown cold, but I'm honestly amazed I've been able to avoid it thus far this winter.  I'm way overdue!

-Stu
2010-02-19 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2681364

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
juneapple - 2010-02-19 8:36 AM
StlPhil - 2010-02-18 9:18 PM Had an awesome run tonight. Awesome for me anyways. I was going to swim then follow up with a 3 mile run. Got to the Y and the pool was closed! To much chlorine. ARRRGGH! Well, not to let my workout suffer I jumped on a bike for 20 min and headed for the track. I began to pick up the pace a little and finished my first mile at 10:24. Felt pretty good so I pushed a little harder. I finished my second mile at 10:01! NO FRIGGIN WAY. My goal has always been to break the 10 min mark. I never was really sure if I could with my ankle situation and all. I thought If I'm going to do it, tonight is the night. I pushed it even a little harder. My 3rd mile was 9:26! NO FRIGGIN WAY AGAIN! The 3 mile average was 9:57! Not only did I break the 10 min mile, I broke the 10 min average for 3 Miles!

Phil

WooooHoooo... under 10 minutes is such a huge milestone!  So many great accomplishments this year, Phil... looking forward to celebrating your century mark too!  Keep it rolling, man...

Skittles, eh?

My daughter is in oral surgery while I write this from the waiting room.  Fingers crossed that she has a quick recovery from chipmunk cheeks!

As always, send in your results on the Feb goals tomorrow and I'll post the updated table on Sunday.  It's been a really busy week for me, but managed to get all the workouts in.  Woke up with a sore throat this morning though... hoping it doesn't develop into a full blown cold, but I'm honestly amazed I've been able to avoid it thus far this winter.  I'm way overdue!

-Stu

Skittles. LOL I don't know if they will help me hit the century mark, but I was expecting to swim a mile before the run and I consumed the most tasty source of carbs I knew of, Skittles ............ before I knew the pool was closed. I thought the workout was going to go longer than 2 hours.

Sorry to hear about your daughter. My son is going to go through the same thing in two weeks. I'm kinda sick. I really will have to work hard holding back the giggles when he is looking like Marlon Brando in the Godfather for a week. But, these youngsters bounce back pretty quick. 

Phil

Edited by StlPhil 2010-02-19 9:05 AM
2010-02-19 9:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis

Light day today. Hitting pool after work. Hope the chlorine levels are down. Yesterday I was kinda aggrevated by the closing and I said to the life guard "Can't you just have a bunch of kids jump in the pool and pee to bring the chlorine levels down?" She was not amused. Long 9 mile run tomorrow. Hoping snow holds off so I don't have to run 162 laps on the indoor track. Yell

Phil

2010-02-19 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2681500

User image

Veteran
DC
Phil - Congrats on smashing the 10 min/mile mark.  Kudos to you for your dedication and for accomplishing so many goals. 

Today is a gorgeous day in Chicago- it is currently 36 and sunny.  I even heard a cardinal singing earlier this morning...it's downright spring-like out there (it's pretty sad that 36 and sunny is 'spring-like'). 

I swam 2700 yards straight this AM....broke up four 500s with a 100 of breast and then finished with a 400 of breast.  I now know I can finish my HIM swim (although there are no walls to push off of in Lake Michigan...)

Hope everyone has a great Friday.
Mike
2010-02-19 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Phil - great job on breaking 10 minutes.  It's these achievements that keep us coming back for more!

Mike - well done on the swim!  I've been using workouts in a binder and have noticed an improvement in my pace in just a few weeks.  I'm really looking forward to these stitches coming out Monday so I can get back in the water.

I had a good run this morning, but I was a little dizzy afterwards.  13.12 miles on the track at the Y.  Ugh. 210 laps.  It was harder mentally than it was physically.  BUT the step aerobics class that they were having on the b-ball court that the track overlooks was entertaining for the last 30 minutes...
2010-02-19 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2681973

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
scout21 - 2010-02-19 12:23 PM Phil - great job on breaking 10 minutes.  It's these achievements that keep us coming back for more!

Mike - well done on the swim!  I've been using workouts in a binder and have noticed an improvement in my pace in just a few weeks.  I'm really looking forward to these stitches coming out Monday so I can get back in the water.

I had a good run this morning, but I was a little dizzy afterwards.  13.12 miles on the track at the Y.  Ugh. 210 laps.  It was harder mentally than it was physically.  BUT the step aerobics class that they were having on the b-ball court that the track overlooks was entertaining for the last 30 minutes...

Scout,

Workouts in a binder does sound interesting. Maybe you can post a few so we can check them out. Innocent I'm doing 9 mile tomorrow and praying it doesn't snow. I don't look forward to 162 laps on the indoor track. I am never lucky enough to get a step aerobics class. I always get the 5 year old BB classes.

Phil
2010-02-19 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2682077

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
StlPhil - 2010-02-19 12:49 PM

Scout,

Workouts in a binder does sound interesting. Maybe you can post a few so we can check them out. Innocent I'm doing 9 mile tomorrow and praying it doesn't snow. I don't look forward to 162 laps on the indoor track. I am never lucky enough to get a step aerobics class. I always get the 5 year old BB classes.

Phil

You gotta get there at the right times!  Anyway, take a look in my training logs at my last dozen or so swims.  All of the ones that look structured (ie. w/u then m/s then c/d) come from workouts in a binder.

Scout
2010-02-19 1:42 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Way to go Phil!

Lots of folks hitting a good stride here.  That's great!

You've inspired me to skip that meeting this afternoon and go run some hills!  (Well, I was leaning that way anyhow; but if I'm asked why I wasn't there, I'm blaming you all.)

2010-02-19 6:22 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Well, my conscience got the better of me.  I went to the meeting, and then left early...  I did get the swimming in.  Running will be tomorrow morning.  Probably best for my knee anyway.

Have a great weekend everyone.  I don't know about where you are, but around here it is supposed to be nice weather.
2010-02-19 8:30 PM

User image

Expert
It's hard to catch up with every thing! Looks like there's been a lot of good progress for every one.

I was having a great week until last night. My Husband wanted to go to dinner, and since he's giggin out of town all weekend, I cancelled the scheduled swim and went with him for a date

But, I've noticed that I've bene having some nerve sensitivity on the top of my foot lately. And by "some" I mean: if the sheet hits the top of my foot, it wakes me up from a sound sleep. Swimming was also uncomfortable. The pressure of the water during my kicks made my foot tingle and feel numb. Has any one experienced this before?
2010-02-19 11:33 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Sorry to tell you this for fear of jinxing, but for the past few days it has been sunny with high's of 60.  I am swimming tomorrow morning and then I will be going out later for a 1.5 hr. bike ride.  First time out on the bike since Beg. of Sept.  Looking forwrd to it.  I'm skipping the indoor cycling class at 9:15 am to swim so I can ride outdoors instead.  Ran this evening approx. 5.67 miles.  Legs felt heavy, but managed a 9 and some change per mile pace; pretty typical.

I'll send in my goal report in the am.

2010-02-20 6:33 AM
in reply to: #2683072

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Brian - man, get out there and take advantage of it.  I can't wait to get back outside on the bike.  Still too cold here and ice on the roads in spots (not to mention a ton of sand).  Anyway, tell us all about it so we can live vicariously through your good weather!

Heidi - any chance your running shoes are tied too tight?  I know when I increased my running volume last fall I experienced some similar issues in my right foot and it helped to loosen the strings a bit.  I'm still not sure if it was the increase in volume quickly or the shoelaces, but I do recall it being painful (and a pain).

I was under the weather yesterday with sinus/headache stuff... feel better this morning.  Hoping to get out later for an outdoor (non-hamster) run.  Sometimes a good run will clear it all out.  We'll see.  Hope my daughter is feeling better today as well.  Her surgery went well and not too bad on the chipmunk cheeks :-)

One question for you all and an insight for me.  In our spin class last week, we did some single leg work and as it turned out, my left leg was *alot* weaker than my right.  That was the leg with the knee problems two years ago (and I still get reminded of it now).  Seems a bunch of folks in the group have had similar issues.  My PT had me do the same exercises on each leg, but now I'm wondering if I should double the ones for the left (or do more single leg work on bike machines, etc.).  Any insights or suggestions out there?  Seems like if my left was the same as my right, I'd get another 2 mph out of it (yep, it was that different).

Have a great weekend everyone!
-Stu
2010-02-20 6:52 AM

User image

Expert
Brian-an outdoor ride would be  heavenly! Enjoy.
Stu- Glad your daughter's feeling better. I think you might be right- and the foot pain might be shoe related. An outdoor run sounds like a great idea.
Every one have a great day. I'm taking my 2 little ones to the Eric Carle Children's museum for the day. Today might be  a rest day for me.
~Heidi

2010-02-20 7:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Hello everyone, I hear some of you had some nice weather this week, well I was lucky enough to get a nice day yesterday for my long run (8 miles).

Stu - the best way to get your leg strenght even would be to perform isolated excersize. If you have access to equipment do some of these exercises; leg curls, leg extensions, one leg squats with dumbells, one legged press. If no access to equiment do one legged squats (using body weight only), leg curls and extension (find way to add resistence, like someone using their hand or object that can stay on ankle). The way I would perform these is start the set with the weak leg and once leg is tired continue with both legs for a total of 10 to 15 reps.

Sylvain
2010-02-20 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Finally got a decent run today. Weight is now 216, so just a pound to go to reach my goal for the month. Going to Mexico for a long week-end on Thursday and I plan to use it as a working vacation, as in "working out". I'm piggybacking on my wife's biz trip so while she's in meetings I plan to sbr.
2010-02-20 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2682895

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slow turtle - 2010-02-19 9:30 PM It's hard to catch up with every thing! Looks like there's been a lot of good progress for every one.

I was having a great week until last night. My Husband wanted to go to dinner, and since he's giggin out of town all weekend, I cancelled the scheduled swim and went with him for a date

But, I've noticed that I've bene having some nerve sensitivity on the top of my foot lately. And by "some" I mean: if the sheet hits the top of my foot, it wakes me up from a sound sleep. Swimming was also uncomfortable. The pressure of the water during my kicks made my foot tingle and feel numb. Has any one experienced this before?

Stu might be on to something.  Check this article out.
2010-02-20 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2683167

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
juneapple - 2010-02-20 7:33 AM Brian - man, get out there and take advantage of it.  I can't wait to get back outside on the bike.  Still too cold here and ice on the roads in spots (not to mention a ton of sand).  Anyway, tell us all about it so we can live vicariously through your good weather!

Heidi - any chance your running shoes are tied too tight?  I know when I increased my running volume last fall I experienced some similar issues in my right foot and it helped to loosen the strings a bit.  I'm still not sure if it was the increase in volume quickly or the shoelaces, but I do recall it being painful (and a pain).

I was under the weather yesterday with sinus/headache stuff... feel better this morning.  Hoping to get out later for an outdoor (non-hamster) run.  Sometimes a good run will clear it all out.  We'll see.  Hope my daughter is feeling better today as well.  Her surgery went well and not too bad on the chipmunk cheeks :-)

One question for you all and an insight for me.  In our spin class last week, we did some single leg work and as it turned out, my left leg was *alot* weaker than my right.  That was the leg with the knee problems two years ago (and I still get reminded of it now).  Seems a bunch of folks in the group have had similar issues.  My PT had me do the same exercises on each leg, but now I'm wondering if I should double the ones for the left (or do more single leg work on bike machines, etc.).  Any insights or suggestions out there?  Seems like if my left was the same as my right, I'd get another 2 mph out of it (yep, it was that different).

Have a great weekend everyone!
-Stu

Almost 3 years out from a knee surgery, my right leg remains weaker than my left -- as in, visibly smaller.  The doctor (who is a very highly respected sports orthopedist -- I got lucky there!) told me to continue strength work, but it could take as long as 3-5 years to get the them same, or maybe 2 if I really worked hard at it, doing what you say, one-leg exercises (the usual stuff -- presses, extensions, etc. -- the stuff that Sylvain mentioned).  Well, I worked hard at it for a year, then slacked off.  I thought (wrongly -- and no I didn't have a good reason for doubting my doctor here!) that just working out they would eventually even out.  Also, I put on muscle very slowly and grudgingly.  I do think that my weaker right leg might be the cause of some problems in my running and biking.

OK, so I smell a goal for next month coming on...

Edited by Experior 2010-02-20 11:16 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46