BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2010-08-03 8:36 AM
in reply to: #3017368

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED
sstucker - 2010-08-01 10:17 PM Sounds like everyone is having some good workouts. 
Michael welcome back to land.
Heidi hope all is good for you tomorrow.
Nice ride Phil, glad to hear your pain is gone.  I'm currently experiencing numbness with both my feet/toes.  I don't have a good saddle, will get better one next year. 

Picked up a cheap bike pump yesterday and pumped my tires to 120psi.  Thought the cheap pump would have given me some trouble but worked extremely well.  I was impressed.

I did a brick today, 60 minute bike on very hilly course and 30 minute run.  I pushed the bike portion and did 20 minute run at race pace, then cool down for last 10 minutes.  I didn't get any cramping on the run untill after 15 minutes into it which is good, that means my threshold is climbing.  Well it better I've been putting in the mileage. 

Took the girls to the beach on Lake Ontario today, same lake I'm doing Try on Aug 15.  Water was very rough, I hope it won't be the same on race day otherwise it will make for a tough swim.

Sylvain

Yes, you have been putting in the mileage.   You'll be ready for your race.

Just remember that if the water is rough, the best thing you can do for yourself is to relax.

As for foot numbness, there are thing you can look into now to try to resolve it, especially as it probably is not the saddle.  The solutions vary widely from person to person (or so I've read), but here are some common themes:

1.  Shoes too tight.  (Loosen the straps, or use a thinner insert.)
2.  Pressure on the outside of the foot.  (If this is due to the shoes being too narrow, then I guess new shoes is all you can hope for.  But if it is because of pedaling style -- you are putting weight more on the outside of the foot than the middle -- then you can fix it now.)
3.  Pressure too far forward on the foot.  (Move the cleats back a few mm.)
4.  Pedaling with toes down.  (Try to flatten your foot a bit.  This can be a symptom of a seat that is too high so check that too.)

Those are some solutions that I've heard of working for people who get numb feet while riding. 

2010-08-03 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3017422

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
juneapple - 2010-08-01 10:54 PM Good to hear from everyone today.  WB Brian.  WB to land Michael.  WB to racing Heidi.

I had a really good race this morning.  Was 10 seconds faster than last year which was a pleasant surprise given the general lack of training and all the yard work yesterday.  6/17 in the Master Clydesdales.  Anyway, you can read all about it in my race report.  Best part was that I was excited to be back out there again and determined to be mentally tougher.  Improved the transitions and fought through a difficult run.   Now I have 8 weeks until the OLY with a couple of 10K bones thrown in to keep me motivated.

Sorry this is short, but I'm bushed and need to get a good start on the day tomorrow.  Keep up the great training everyone!

Stu

Very nice race, and great report too!  So it looks like the way to improve over last year's times is to do heavy yardwork for several hours the day before?  I'll have to try that.

Attitude is everything!  It looks like you've found an attitude that works for you.

I am finding that every time I fight through a tough run it gets easier to fight the next time.  It doesn't make the physical pain any less; it just becomes easier to deal with it. 

Oh, and please don't mention p**son i*y again.  I can get a bad case of it just by reading the words. 
2010-08-03 5:27 PM
in reply to: #3020402

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Experior - 2010-08-03 9:40 AM   So it looks like the way to improve over last year's times is to do heavy yardwork for several hours the day before?  I'll have to try that.

Attitude is everything!  It looks like you've found an attitude that works for you.

I am finding that every time I fight through a tough run it gets easier to fight the next time.  It doesn't make the physical pain any less; it just becomes easier to deal with it. 

Oh, and please don't mention p**son i*y again.  I can get a bad case of it just by reading the words. 

Not sure about the heavy yardwork theory, Michael.  But it did serve a simulated purpose - to provide back pain on the run :-)  I usually don't have that on a sprint, just the longer distances.  I will say one thing though, after doing the HIM, a sprint really does seem like a quick race.  Kind of like after flying to China, cross country flights seem like a breeze.   Perspective, like attitude, is everything!

Agreed about the tough run and attitude.  But no doubt that attitude improves with preparation and experience.  Having been through that run/hill before, it could be the focus of my race... which must have won out over my poor preparation.

Yep... P friggin' Ivy is making me miserable this week.  Leaves of 3, let them be... and the new corollary... just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there.

Stu

T Minus a few days for Heidi!  Rock and Roll!
2010-08-03 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2775149

User image

Expert
Stu-Sorry to hear about the poison ivy. Growing up on a farm, I can relate. Every one in my family (except me) is extremely allergic.
That means, sometimes I got handed some pretty lousy jobs. all on the premise of, "Well, let's have Heidi do it, because there might be PI in there."
2010-08-03 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3021818

User image

Expert
slow turtle - 2010-08-03 7:00 PM Stu-Sorry to hear about the poison ivy. Growing up on a farm, I can relate. Every one in my family (except me) is extremely allergic.
That means, sometimes I got handed some pretty lousy jobs. all on the premise of, "Well, let's have Heidi do it, because there might be PI in there."

That's a trade I'd be willing to make right now... of course, I might change my mind in a few weeks.  One thing I have found discovered as a side benefit of PI... my recent troubles with drowsiness have disappeared.... cuz my skin is crawling!  May have to suck it up and get in line for the pills or shot at the walk-in med center.
2010-08-03 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3022046

User image

Expert
Salem
juneapple - 2010-08-03 6:51 PM
slow turtle - 2010-08-03 7:00 PM Stu-Sorry to hear about the poison ivy. Growing up on a farm, I can relate. Every one in my family (except me) is extremely allergic.

That's a trade I'd be willing to make right now... of course, I might change my mind in a few weeks.  One thing I have found discovered as a side benefit of PI... my recent troubles with drowsiness have disappeared.... cuz my skin is crawling!  May have to suck it up and get in line for the pills or shot at the walk-in med center.

I haven't had Po.... opps almost said it... PI in such a long time, but I had a bad case of it when I first moved to Oregon when I was working for city maintenance during the summer cutting brush away from road signs.  I had it so bad I had to go to the Dr. and they gave me Corticosteroid Pills.  Man did that ever help.  I also got some creme with some type of steriod in it as well for topical.  Sorry for your misery!

2010-08-03 10:27 PM
in reply to: #3020393

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Experior - 2010-08-03 9:36 AM

Yes, you have been putting in the mileage.   You'll be ready for your race.

Just remember that if the water is rough, the best thing you can do for yourself is to relax.

As for foot numbness, there are thing you can look into now to try to resolve it, especially as it probably is not the saddle.  The solutions vary widely from person to person (or so I've read), but here are some common themes:

1.  Shoes too tight.  (Loosen the straps, or use a thinner insert.)
2.  Pressure on the outside of the foot.  (If this is due to the shoes being too narrow, then I guess new shoes is all you can hope for.  But if it is because of pedaling style -- you are putting weight more on the outside of the foot than the middle -- then you can fix it now.)
3.  Pressure too far forward on the foot.  (Move the cleats back a few mm.)
4.  Pedaling with toes down.  (Try to flatten your foot a bit.  This can be a symptom of a seat that is too high so check that too.)

Those are some solutions that I've heard of working for people who get numb feet while riding. 

I made some adjustments to my saddle, things I wanted to try.  Increased height, pushed seat forward and slightly tilted nose (don't know proper name) down.  I jumped on bike this evening to give it a test ride for about 30 minutes.  Right from the beginning I felt like a different rider, more powerful.   I went down and up this one valley that I normally need to downshift fairly fast half way so I don’t go into a dead stop, well today only downshifted a couple gears and climb the other side at high speed and continued hard on the flat as if the hill was small.  Well I guess I can now consider this valley small.

As for my foot numbness, I’m pretty sure it’s my shoes, the way they are tied.  On the cool down I loosen the straps a lot and numbness cleared.  During the ride I tried placing the straps on a different part of foot to no avail.   I do have a pressure point on top of my feet where I need to lace my shoes and skates in a special way otherwise it gets painful.  So I need to figure out a way to strap them.  It won’t be a problem for my current rides/races as they are short but I’ll need to figure it out if I going to be doing HIM next year.  The one idea I have is to split the strap in two so I can place one high and one low which may relieve pressure from my sensitive spot on top of my feet.

Sylvain

Edited by sstucker 2010-08-03 10:27 PM
2010-08-03 10:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
juneapple - 2010-08-03 9:51 PM

PI - I don't miss it.  Go it every summer at my old place in Ottawa (5 years straight).  The oil sits on all you tools and anything that touched it, if you don't wash them you will get it everytime time you touch them.  Anyway, one trick I found that works for me to relieved the itch for a few hours is shower in the hottest water you can stand and let it run on the infected area for a few minutes.  It will feel very itchy while water is running on it but once the skin cools down you should feel some relief.
2010-08-04 10:13 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
juneapple - 2010-08-03 9:51 PM

I've been driven to steroids a couple of times with PI.  And of course everybody has a 'home remedy'.  Here's mine (it works for me):  hold the affect part(s) under warm water and increase temp slowly until you can't stand it.  You'll feel that itching times 100 for a few seconds.  (Don't give yourself 3rd degree burns, but it should hurt.)  This gives me about 6 hours of relief.
2010-08-04 10:16 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Oh -- I just read Sylvain's post.  We have the same home remedy!  So now you have two independent recommendations for the same treatment!

Sylvain -- glad to hear you are dialing in a good position.  Yes, position makes a big difference in power, comfort, etc.  And the shoe hypothesis about your foot numbness sounds very likely true to me.  Keep experimenting and I bet you'll find a solution.
2010-08-04 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3022823

User image

Expert
I was doing the same (just by trial and error... the hot water felt so good in the shower)... then found on the web that people use hair dryers too... oooohhh... same concept, better results (and dries it some too).  Between that and the usual OTC garbage (not strong enough), I'm getting by... will wear long sleeves to yoga class so as not to inflict the view of my arm upon others.  Thanks for all the home remedies and well wishes. 

Stu

2010-08-04 10:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario

OK I need a lot of OWS practice.  We went back to beach today and this time we had some out of town visitors therefore all the kids were busy playing together so I took advantage of it.  I brought the seadoo wetsuit and went out. The water was extremely rough.  I was hoping to do a few laps between the buoys, but ended up going out and back.  I was struggling so much with breathing that I had to go on my back some on the return to beach. 

About an hour later I went back out, without wetsuit, to practice sighting.   I just did short distance (10 to 20 meters) sighting a lighthouse which was easy to see over the waves.  I was very discouraged after the first outing with wetsuit but after going back without it I felt better.  I think the wetsuit is not suitable for swimming; it helps with the cold water but can’t swim with it.  The lake temp is not that bad so I think I’ll go without it.  I just hope it’s not as rough as it has been.

Sylvain

2010-08-04 11:19 PM
in reply to: #3024327

User image

Expert
Salem
sstucker - 2010-08-04 8:13 PM

OK I need a lot of OWS practice.  We went back to beach today and this time we had some out of town visitors therefore all the kids were busy playing together so I took advantage of it.  I brought the seadoo wetsuit and went out. The water was extremely rough.  I was hoping to do a few laps between the buoys, but ended up going out and back.  I was struggling so much with breathing that I had to go on my back some on the return to beach. 

About an hour later I went back out, without wetsuit, to practice sighting.   I just did short distance (10 to 20 meters) sighting a lighthouse which was easy to see over the waves.  I was very discouraged after the first outing with wetsuit but after going back without it I felt better.  I think the wetsuit is not suitable for swimming; it helps with the cold water but can’t swim with it.  The lake temp is not that bad so I think I’ll go without it.  I just hope it’s not as rough as it has been.

Sylvain

Sylvain,

I may have missed a previous post or background, so forgive me..Have used a wetsuit before to swim in Open Water?  If not, it does takes some getting used to.  All last year I worried everytime I got into the water that the wetsuit felt like it was choking me and restricting my breathing.  This year it has been so much better.  Only once did I have the sense I was feeling restricted (not during a race, but a practice OWS) and I have learned just to roll on the back and relax, take deep breaths and float for a little bit or slowly skull with your hands.  This realxing helped me tremendously.  I have found that even breast stroking did not help me any I still had the sensation of needing to get that darn wetsuit off.
2010-08-04 11:22 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Getting back into the swing of things after about three weeks off from continuous training.  Good Bike workout yesterday, and a speed workout this morning on the track and a 1950 yd. swim workout this evening. 

Have a nice day tomorrow everyone.
2010-08-05 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3024390

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
TriGuyBri - 2010-08-05 12:19 AM
sstucker - 2010-08-04 8:13 PM

Sylvain

Sylvain,

I may have missed a previous post or background, so forgive me..Have used a wetsuit before to swim in Open Water?  If not, it does takes some getting used to.  All last year I worried everytime I got into the water that the wetsuit felt like it was choking me and restricting my breathing.  This year it has been so much better.  Only once did I have the sense I was feeling restricted (not during a race, but a practice OWS) and I have learned just to roll on the back and relax, take deep breaths and float for a little bit or slowly skull with your hands.  This realxing helped me tremendously.  I have found that even breast stroking did not help me any I still had the sensation of needing to get that darn wetsuit off.

I did use it in my first try-a-tri in June, I did feel that restriction then but not like yesterday.  I think the big waves crashing over me accentuated the breathing problem.  I will try again with it or go rent a swimming wet suit.  I was thinking again about it this morning and thought that I get to race early enough to practice again with it before the race but if the water is not to cold I just take it off and race without.  

Thanks for the feedback.
Sylvain
2010-08-05 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3024327

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
sstucker - 2010-08-04 11:13 PM

Sylvain

If it's that restrictive I'd go without (unless it's just too cold) until you can get one made for swimming.

In any case, it never hurts (unless you drown...) to get some practice OWS in rough water. So nice job there. 

2010-08-06 8:53 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Heidi -- good luck in your race this weekend!  Anybody else racing?
2010-08-06 11:39 AM
in reply to: #3027098

User image

Regular
Experior - 2010-08-06 9:53 AM Heidi -- good luck in your race this weekend!  Anybody else racing?

I've got my final race of the season next weekend, but I'll be on vacation next week and incommunicado until after the race. 

I'm hopeful that it will go well - 10 days ago, I tweaked my right glute during a run and I've been taking some time off to let it heal.  Riding and swimming feel fine, but I could feel it when I ran.  It's been feeling better the last couple of days, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to get through the race.  It's the longest of my inaugural season (1/2, 12.3, 4.4) - but my goals remain modest, so a slow finish is still a finish! 

I then plan to take a couple of weeks off and then try Jorge's winter bike plan.

- Mark
2010-08-06 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3027659

User image

Expert
Good luck Heidi and Mark... looking forward to the race reports!
Stu
2010-08-06 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3027878

User image

Master
South Alabama

juneapple - 2010-08-06 12:51 PM Good luck Heidi and Mark... looking forward to the race reports!
Stu

x2

Randy

2010-08-06 10:34 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

I have had some hard runs lately.  Not sure if it is the hot weather or something else.  Unsure what the something else might be.  I just maybe going to hard to much.  I felt pretty weak on the last third of my run this evening.  Just have not been the same running wise.  Bike feeling ok and progressing and swim is pretty even.

Have a brick workout tomorrow so skipped my swim.  Feel ok about it as I began training this week again on a recovery schedule.

Oh well I'll get it figured out.

2010-08-07 4:41 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Workout was pretty good this morning.  I made sure on my bike ride I was well hydrated (downed one of those Gatorade Before Drinks that come in the small bags).  Pretty tasty.  Carried nutrition (tube of Shotbloks; 3 at a half-hour and another 3 15 min or so before my run).  I felt so much better on my run today.  I also slowed my pace on the first half and felt great on the second half.
2010-08-07 5:20 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good job Brian-funny how one day can feel awful and the next so much better. Nice brick.

Randy

2010-08-07 9:27 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks guys.
Here is my race strategy for tomorrow...an believe me, I've actually put thought into this.

I will always be at the back of the pack. So, I can't really take myself too seriously. Therefore, I'm racing tomorrow as if I was a kid again, in honor of my 2 great uncles who I lost in the past year. These guys were always laughing and having fun. tomorrow, I'll race as if it's one big game of tag, I'll laugh an have fun, and not get stressed.
I'll let you  all know how it goes.
2010-08-08 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3029658

User image

Expert
Sounds like a good plan Heidi and a great way to remember your uncles.   I always get in trouble when I forget to have fun :-

Also came across this good article on positioning cleats on one of the other boards... thought I'd post it here too.

http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/cleats.html

Stu
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40