Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2010-07-23 9:45 PM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!

I need some opinions on the next week for my runs and other stuff!  Sunday is a 6 mile run to finish off week 3.  I plan on hitting the road monday for a 45 minute bike ride!  The rest of the week is supposed to be a 4 1/2 mile base run on Tuesday, a 4 mile hill run on Wednesday, rest or cross training on Thursday, 4 1/2 mile Fartlek on Friday, rest Saturday, and 7 miles on Sunday.  Realistically I can't get all 4 runs in with the tri on Sunday but at the same time I am not all that worried about tapering!  I see the marathon as my main race/goal for the year!  I don't want to run on Saturday!  I am looking at Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday.  Which of the 4 runs would you skip this week, base, hills, fartlek, or long?

2010-07-24 10:43 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Such a dilemma!   It's so fun to see how far you have come and are now asking these types of questions. 

Even though you are not technically tapering you could treat it that way.  Try the hills/fartlek (which ever you prefer) on Tue, then the long easy run on Wed.  This will give you Thur off after the long run (or do a swim or very easy spin on the bike on Thur) then you can do the base miles on Fri.  Just my opinion.  How does that sound?

PS - just got in a nice early morning bike ride.  I tried to ride almost every hard hill in my little town I could.  It was a good workout.  Gonna be gone til Sun afternoon.  Heading up to and staying the night in Arlington and gonna catch a Ranger baseball game.  Enjoy the weekend.

Edited by chichitao 2010-07-24 10:46 AM
2010-07-24 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3001941

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-07-24 10:43 AM Such a dilemma!   It's so fun to see how far you have come and are now asking these types of questions. 

Even though you are not technically tapering you could treat it that way.  Try the hills/fartlek (which ever you prefer) on Tue, then the long easy run on Wed.  This will give you Thur off after the long run (or do a swim or very easy spin on the bike on Thur) then you can do the base miles on Fri.  Just my opinion.  How does that sound?

PS - just got in a nice early morning bike ride.  I tried to ride almost every hard hill in my little town I could.  It was a good workout.  Gonna be gone til Sun afternoon.  Heading up to and staying the night in Arlington and gonna catch a Ranger baseball game.  Enjoy the weekend.
  Great plan!  Thanks!  I knew someone would be able to give me a good one!  I like doing the long run earlier in the week too!  I would have just done it Friday but I like your idea better!
2010-07-24 8:51 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Wow, it seems like everybody has been busy!  Me included!

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted, things have been insane.  But I appreciate the inspires I've been getting!  I HAVE been working out, I just haven't had time to log anything.  I started Jorge's maintenance plan this week, which I've been enjoying, and I've seen an improvement in my speed already!  My runs have been consistently about 3.7-4.3 miles, with not much of an improvement in times, but I'm doing okay.  I've been between 9:20-10:00 mile pace.  I've had a really hard time adjusting to the hills in the new area we're living in!  The main running path is a false flat, so when I turn around and I remember that it's all uphill home, it's really frustrating!  There's a REALLY big, steep hill leading up to our condo, 95 foot climb over 3/10ths of a mile.  Nadie likes to drag me backwards while going up the hill, so it's like running with a parachute.  Minus the hills, it's a MUCH more workout friendly area.

On an AWESOME note, I'm FINALLY under 170!  These last few pounds have been really stubborn, so I'm hoping they come easier now.  I won't make my goal of under 160 for August 14th, but I'm hoping to make it by the wedding I'm in in September.  I was on track until the last few weeks of insanity.

And even better, we're FINALLY GOING TO SIGN UP FOR A TRIATHLON!  August 8th, Oshkosh, here I come!  Hopefully I can get in an OWS before then!

Just remember, you guys are all the best!!!  I could never be doing this without you.
2010-07-24 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2996954

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Mrschach - 2010-07-22 8:38 AM Any suggestions on what I should eat/drink before I run in the mornings?  I am getting up at 4:45 and on the treadmill or road at 5.  As my runs increase in miles, I will get up earlier but I don't want to get up too early to eat something first.  I feel like I am hitting a wall at mile 3 on my runs this week.  I am loving my early morning runs though!

I absolutely cannot workout on an empty stomach.  I had a hard time for forever finding something I could eat and be comfortable during my workout.  I finally tried these Sunkist chewy granola bars, and I swear by them.  They're probably the best/healthiest granola bars I've ever had, and they fill me up enough to sustain a long workout, and they don't make me sick while I'm running.  180 calories, and worth it.  Love them.
2010-07-26 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Erica, glad to see you are doing well and dealing with all the stresses of life!  Good job keeping those workouts going and breaking through on the weight loss. 

I had a good time going up to the baseball game, even though we lost.  It was crazy hot and no wind.  I ate and drank way too much.  But I did get in a good ride before we left and a small workout at the hotel to at least make me feel better.  Put on a few pounds but plan on being good this week and getting back on track. 

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend and feels good about what all they accomplished!

2010-07-26 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3004328

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Sounds like fun at the baseball game, Tim!

I had a bit of a disappointing weekend, fitness-wise.  My girlfriend came to town (that was NOT the disappointing part Tongue out).  The problem is that when she does come, we tend to not eat very well, and I don't get to work out.  So I'm in the same boat as you, Tim, having to eat well and really focus.  I am 2 weeks out from a race, so I really have to focus now!  I have to be good!

Other than all that, I had a pretty decent weekend socially.  I saw Inception, and have a funny story about it (I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it).  We saw it Saturday afternoon, after a very late night on Friday.  I was still really tired, but was intent on paying close attention, because I knew how confusing people told me it was.  Well, about 25 minutes from the end, I think I dozed off for about 4 seconds.  I didn't feel like I missed too much of the movie, but it just so happened that at the exact same time, my gf left to go to the washroom.  When I came back around, she was gone, and I was watching this movie about dreams and the weird things that you brain can do while dreaming.  It was a HORRIBLE sensation.  The entire walk home, too, I was noticing things that I had never noticed before.  I guess I thought the movie was really good, if it affected me that much!

Also, Saturday night, we went to go see a cirque du soleil type show, which was AMAZING.  Break dancing, bike stunts, trampolines, acrobatics, juggling, feats of strength...  It was SUPER impressive.  I loved it.  Yesterday, we sat around and watching IMLP, as I knew a few people running it.  Overall, I shouldn't really complain about the weekend.  I just feel so lazy when I don't get a good workout in.  Oh well, back at it today!

Hope everyone is doing well! 
2010-07-26 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3004356

User image

Expert
South Jersey
LockOut - 2010-07-26 8:59 AM Sounds like fun at the baseball game, Tim!

I had a bit of a disappointing weekend, fitness-wise.  My girlfriend came to town (that was NOT the disappointing part Tongue out).  The problem is that when she does come, we tend to not eat very well, and I don't get to work out.  So I'm in the same boat as you, Tim, having to eat well and really focus.  I am 2 weeks out from a race, so I really have to focus now!  I have to be good!

Other than all that, I had a pretty decent weekend socially.  I saw Inception, and have a funny story about it (I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it).  We saw it Saturday afternoon, after a very late night on Friday.  I was still really tired, but was intent on paying close attention, because I knew how confusing people told me it was.  Well, about 25 minutes from the end, I think I dozed off for about 4 seconds.  I didn't feel like I missed too much of the movie, but it just so happened that at the exact same time, my gf left to go to the washroom.  When I came back around, she was gone, and I was watching this movie about dreams and the weird things that you brain can do while dreaming.  It was a HORRIBLE sensation.  The entire walk home, too, I was noticing things that I had never noticed before.  I guess I thought the movie was really good, if it affected me that much!

Also, Saturday night, we went to go see a cirque du soleil type show, which was AMAZING.  Break dancing, bike stunts, trampolines, acrobatics, juggling, feats of strength...  It was SUPER impressive.  I loved it.  Yesterday, we sat around and watching IMLP, as I knew a few people running it.  Overall, I shouldn't really complain about the weekend.  I just feel so lazy when I don't get a good workout in.  Oh well, back at it today!

Hope everyone is doing well! 

I left the movie to use the bathroom and all of a sudden they were in the next level of the dream when I came back.  I was so confused!
2010-07-26 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3002552

User image

Expert
South Jersey
SoccerGK - 2010-07-24 8:51 PM

On an AWESOME note, I'm FINALLY under 170!  These last few pounds have been really stubborn, so I'm hoping they come easier now.  I won't make my goal of under 160 for August 14th, but I'm hoping to make it by the wedding I'm in in September.  I was on track until the last few weeks of insanity.

And even better, we're FINALLY GOING TO SIGN UP FOR A TRIATHLON!  August 8th, Oshkosh, here I come!  Hopefully I can get in an OWS before then!

Just remember, you guys are all the best!!!  I could never be doing this without you.

Way to go with the weight loss!  That is great you guys are finally able to sign up!  Can't wait to hear about it.

Our weekend was good, super hot, but good.  I took Friday off and met up with a friend and her daughter with my boys at a bounce place.  We had a great time.  My legs were killing me from all the jumping!  We headed back to the shore Friday evening then.  I did not even bring my running gear because I knew it would be way too hot for me to run there on Saturday.  We went down specifically for John to play in a rugby tournament on Saturday.  It was my first time watching him play.  Kids were melting though it was so hot!  He played 2 matches and I missed the second one because of the boys.  Next match is in November and I will not be taking the boys!

I did get a good 6 mile run in when we got home yesterday!
2010-07-27 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Merry Tuesday!  Is it really only Tues?    Gonna be out of the office for a while today.  Still been raining off and on here, which has really felt great temp wise.  I am supposed to do a group ride tonight, but only if it stays dry.  Might end up on the trainer.  Enjoy the day.
2010-07-27 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3006763

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-07-27 8:15 AM Merry Tuesday!  Is it really only Tues?    Gonna be out of the office for a while today.  Still been raining off and on here, which has really felt great temp wise.  I am supposed to do a group ride tonight, but only if it stays dry.  Might end up on the trainer.  Enjoy the day.

Unfortunately it is only Tuesday!  I keep looking at the calendar here and figuring out if I can play sick one day this week.  Working for family makes it tough though!

We had a crazy storm on Sunday that finally broke our heat!  It also woke my 2 year old up from a nap.

2010-07-27 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3006803

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
I've been very seriously considering taking a sick day this week, as well.  I have been sleeping extremely well, and waking up just does not feel good.  I think I just need a day to sleep until noon.  That would be wonderful.  

That being said, I have a race next week, so I will be taking Friday off next week.  I GUESS I can wait until then to sleep all day...

How is everyone's week going? 
2010-07-27 10:40 AM

User image

Expert
My week actually ends tomorrow   I will be going up to my friends place again in South Haven, MI with the family this time.  Should be a relaxing day on Thursday.  I will be using that as a rest day.  I have the Chciago Rock-N-Roll 1/2 marathon on Sunday.  I am a little anxious since the longest I have ran in the past few months is 8.5 miles.  I am wanting to use this race as a gauge for the HIM in September.  I am shooting for 1:50.  We will see.  I did 6.5 miles over the weekend at my race pace (8:50/mile) and felt ok but I also have been working out like crazy so we'll see. 

My wife is worried that I wil get hurt if I push it too hard but I told her I think I am probably in better shape than 1/2 the people running it-haha 

Hope everyone has a great week and stays cool!  It seems like it is hot everywhere this year.
2010-07-28 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

The Philly river cast website lists the Schuylkill (where the swim is on Sunday) as green today!!  It has been red the past few days.  With this river, there is always a good chance of tris becoming dus!!

2010-07-28 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3009333

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Mrschach - 2010-07-28 9:47 AM

The Philly river cast website lists the Schuylkill (where the swim is on Sunday) as green today!!  It has been red the past few days.  With this river, there is always a good chance of tris becoming dus!!

What does "green" and "red" signify?  Is this a red light/green light kind of thing? 
2010-07-28 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3009340

User image

Expert
South Jersey
LockOut - 2010-07-28 8:51 AM
Mrschach - 2010-07-28 9:47 AM

What does "green" and "red" signify?  Is this a red light/green light kind of thing? 

Basically, yes.  Here is the website.  http://phillyrivercast.org/

The RD can also test the water in that area and still decide to go ahead with the swim if the level is yellow or red.  There are three big tris in that section of the water and last year 2 of them because duathlons.  Both the other tris happened already and one because a du because of the water quality.  The other one was a tri for the sprint but a du for the Olympic the next day because of a missing swimmer.

2010-07-28 1:11 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
The Schuylkill River, like all working rivers, is not a pristine body of water and is subject to contamination from many sources and activities that either discharge directly, or enter the river during rain events. Because rivers are vulnerable to such contamination, recreation in or upon any body of water has with it an inherent risk of illness and infection for the individual involved.

Sounds like fun!

Just had one of those days yesterday with more rain/lightning and just did not feel like a trainer/treadmill workout so ended up being lazy.  Came prepared today though with both run and swim clothes, but found out we now have to attend a funeral tonight.  Won't have time for a workout.
2010-07-28 1:27 PM
in reply to: #3010248

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-07-28 1:11 PM The Schuylkill River, like all working rivers, is not a pristine body of water and is subject to contamination from many sources and activities that either discharge directly, or enter the river during rain events. Because rivers are vulnerable to such contamination, recreation in or upon any body of water has with it an inherent risk of illness and infection for the individual involved.

Sounds like fun!

Just had one of those days yesterday with more rain/lightning and just did not feel like a trainer/treadmill workout so ended up being lazy.  Came prepared today though with both run and swim clothes, but found out we now have to attend a funeral tonight.  Won't have time for a workout.

People look at me like I have 2 heads because I am going to be swimming in this river.  I love the responses I get from people.  My own husband jokes around that he needs to sanitize me when I am done.  The river has a pretty bad reputation in this area but there are some nice parts of it.  I have been told by people that this is one of the best OWS in the area.
2010-07-29 11:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

It's another warm day here in Vancouver, last nights hill training was killer because we use a bridge and there is no hiding from the sun.  Although there was a fantastic wind blowing as I went up the hill, mixed blessing because it was cooling, but also made it harder to push through, but what annoyed me was that I couldn't feel the wind on the recovery run back down the hill.  Overall it went well, we did 3 repeats this week, and I could feel my calf was there but just as a reminder to not push to fast. 

Tonight I have my crossfit training, or 30 minutes of hell as I like to call it, tonight I am doing decending sets of pushups & pullups with 1 minute of skipping in between sets.  

I have an extra long weekend, taking tomorrow off and then monday is a civic holiday here, so 4 days to fill up!  Nothing exciting planned here, but any day not spent at work is a good one!

I know Meggan is racing this weekend, what is everyone else got planned?

2010-07-30 1:22 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Quiet in here today!

Question for you guys...should I use my garmin on Sunday?  I have the 405 and I don't think it has the multi sport function.  Not sure how I would switch it from the bike to the run.  I was thinking of just using it for the run to keep an eye on my pace.  I can't wear it for the swim. 
2010-07-30 1:27 PM
in reply to: #3014590

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Mrschach - 2010-07-30 2:22 PM Quiet in here today!

Question for you guys...should I use my garmin on Sunday?  I have the 405 and I don't think it has the multi sport function.  Not sure how I would switch it from the bike to the run.  I was thinking of just using it for the run to keep an eye on my pace.  I can't wear it for the swim. 

Do you have a computer on your bike to keep your speed with?  If you do, I would just use that, and then save the Garmin for the run, personally.  What I did for my race, and plan on doing in future races, is just using my cycle computer for the bike, and my Nike+ for the run.  It worked well enough for me.  If you don't have a computer on your bike, though, that may be another issue.  Do you need the multisport function?  Can you just use it as is, and have it show your speed the whole time?  It'll just be a lot slower for the run?

Sandra, sorry, I meant to respond to your last message.  That sounds like a hell of a workout.  I have a bridge going over a highway that I use for my run sometimes, so I know what you are talking about.  It is brutal!  How are you liking CF?  I have been considering looking into it, and my gf is thinking about doing it, too.  She wants to use it as help for her tris, which I told her not to do, because she just needs more s/b/r training.  What do you think of it (as both just training, and as tri training)? 

2010-07-30 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3014601

User image

Expert
South Jersey
LockOut - 2010-07-30 1:27 PM

Do you have a computer on your bike to keep your speed with?  If you do, I would just use that, and then save the Garmin for the run, personally.  What I did for my race, and plan on doing in future races, is just using my cycle computer for the bike, and my Nike+ for the run.  It worked well enough for me.  If you don't have a computer on your bike, though, that may be another issue.  Do you need the multisport function?  Can you just use it as is, and have it show your speed the whole time?  It'll just be a lot slower for the run?

I do have a computer on the bike so I figured just the run would be ok.  I just can't upload the bike to here or garmin connect to check anything out.  Not the worst thing in the world. 
2010-07-30 1:51 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Oh and as usual my week did not go as I had planned!  I decided to snooze this morning instead of get up for a run.  Now I am wondering what I should do.  I was going to run this evening and take tomorrow as a rest day.  My only concern about that is my legs are usually tight after a rest day.  So am I better off resting today and hitting the road for a few easy miles in the morning?  Or do I run this evening and take a rest day tomorrow?  I will be active tomorrow either way.  I have to hit up the expo in the morning to get all my stuff.  Not sure about the rest of the day but I am sure I will be in the pool with the boys for a few hours in the afternoon.  Please tell me what to do oh wise ones!!
2010-07-30 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3014601

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

I have a 305 and it does multisport, I don't use it on the swim because it's not waterproof, but I have a mounting kit for my bike, that allows me to clip on my garmin and after I hop of the bike, I have a velcro strap that it clips into, so it's an easy transition from the bike to run. 

LockOut - 2010-07-30 11:27 AM Sandra, sorry, I meant to respond to your last message.  That sounds like a hell of a workout.  I have a bridge going over a highway that I use for my run sometimes, so I know what you are talking about.  It is brutal!  How are you liking CF?  I have been considering looking into it, and my gf is thinking about doing it, too.  She wants to use it as help for her tris, which I told her not to do, because she just needs more s/b/r training.  What do you think of it (as both just training, and as tri training)? 

I've only done 2 of these crossfit workout so far, I'm supposed t be doing 3 per week, but I just don't have the time to work that in with every else I'm doing.  I'm also modifying the workouts quite a bit, subsituting skipping for running until the track near my house is finished.  I ended up doing 20 pushups, 10 pullups and 20 prisoner squats with one minute of skipping in between sets for 35 minutes and my arms were pretty much rubber. 

I think keeping a strong core helps in all aspects of tri training and injury prevention.
2010-07-30 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3014661

User image

Expert
South Jersey
corstan - 2010-07-30 1:55 PM

I have a 305 and it does multisport, I don't use it on the swim because it's not waterproof, but I have a mounting kit for my bike, that allows me to clip on my garmin and after I hop of the bike, I have a velcro strap that it clips into, so it's an easy transition from the bike to run. 

LockOut - 2010-07-30 11:27 AM Sandra, sorry, I meant to respond to your last message.  That sounds like a hell of a workout.  I have a bridge going over a highway that I use for my run sometimes, so I know what you are talking about.  It is brutal!  How are you liking CF?  I have been considering looking into it, and my gf is thinking about doing it, too.  She wants to use it as help for her tris, which I told her not to do, because she just needs more s/b/r training.  What do you think of it (as both just training, and as tri training)? 

I've only done 2 of these crossfit workout so far, I'm supposed t be doing 3 per week, but I just don't have the time to work that in with every else I'm doing.  I'm also modifying the workouts quite a bit, subsituting skipping for running until the track near my house is finished.  I ended up doing 20 pushups, 10 pullups and 20 prisoner squats with one minute of skipping in between sets for 35 minutes and my arms were pretty much rubber. 

I think keeping a strong core helps in all aspects of tri training and injury prevention.

What do you have to do to switch the sport mode from bike to run?  On the 405, it is not as simple as pushing a button.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103