BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2011-03-08 1:20 PM
in reply to: #3271048

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
Subject: RE: Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED
Anyone have any experience with the kswiss blade lite shoe? I'm now looking at gettig a lighter shoe and am doing research. I run in he 2150's now

2011-03-08 1:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi everyone!! AQOD: well, being as I'm vertically challenged (5'3.5"), I take a whopping 21 strokes per 25yds! I used to take more, but at least it's coming down.

Our tri club had a symposium last weekend and one of our speakers was a Purdue swimmer/coach and we talked about strokes per length. One thing that I learned is that the number is highly individual. It depends on how long/tall you are, how long your arms are, your reach, form, blah, blah, blah.. the important thing to know is what is YOUR number and then, is there anything you can do regarding your form to improve that number. I will never ever be a 11 stroker. It's physically impossible for me. But, maybe I can get down to 18 or 19?? Just another thing to work on in the pool!!

2011-03-08 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3388651

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
mpdiotte - 2011-03-08 2:20 PM

Anyone have any experience with the kswiss blade lite shoe? I'm now looking at gettig a lighter shoe and am doing research. I run in he 2150's now

No experience here. I'd just go to a shop and check them out. I just bought 2 new pairs of Saucony Fastwitch this morning from runningwarehouse.com I got an email coupon so it was only ~$60/pair. It's always tough trying to get into new shoes b/c of varying return policies and prices. Once I settle on a pair I buy them online b/c it tends to be at least 25% cheaper in my experience.

Jamie

PS. Another 5 mile run and 60' trainer ride today.
2011-03-08 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3388528

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
dhopman - 2011-03-08 1:23 PM

I can't believe I'm in week 10 of my 20 week IM training plan! Half way there! There are some BIG weeks coming up so I'll have to stay disciplined. The anticipation and excitement just keeps building week after week. I can't freaking wait for May 21st!

Are you doing a HIM to celebrate? Is week 16-17 your massive week before taper? Usually that's how it goes.

Jamie
2011-03-08 3:58 PM
in reply to: #3388757

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

jamiej - 2011-03-08 12:18 PM
dhopman - 2011-03-08 1:23 PM I can't believe I'm in week 10 of my 20 week IM training plan! Half way there! There are some BIG weeks coming up so I'll have to stay disciplined. The anticipation and excitement just keeps building week after week. I can't freaking wait for May 21st! Are you doing a HIM to celebrate? Is week 16-17 your massive week before taper? Usually that's how it goes. Jamie

I have two more training blocks after this one: the last build phase, then a 3 week taper. The hours are as follows, as you can see weeks 14/15/16 are pretty massive.

Wk 13-17: 13.5/15.3/17.25/18/10

Wk 18-20: 13.3/8.9/5

No races planned before IMTX. A tune up would be fun but I just don't want to spend more money on Tris this season.

2011-03-08 4:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

Hi all,

Had a great 30 minute run this morning. 9:40, 9:02, then 8:35 each for 10 minutes (or there about, depending on how accurate the treadmill was).  Then I walked downstairs, changed and hit the pool. 10x50@1:05 plus a little warm up/cool down. Kicked my butt!

Leaving for Mexico tomorrow. I enjoy surfing the web, but don't know if I'll have any wifi there where we're staying, so might not talk to you all until next Tuesday. Going to be running exclusively every day but Sunday while I am there. Have a good one!

Never owned a pair of Kswiss...

2011-03-08 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3388984

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
syscrash - 2011-03-08 5:13 PM

Hi all,

Had a great 30 minute run this morning. 9:40, 9:02, then 8:35 each for 10 minutes (or there about, depending on how accurate the treadmill was).  Then I walked downstairs, changed and hit the pool. 10x50@1:05 plus a little warm up/cool down. Kicked my butt!

Leaving for Mexico tomorrow. I enjoy surfing the web, but don't know if I'll have any wifi there where we're staying, so might not talk to you all until next Tuesday. Going to be running exclusively every day but Sunday while I am there. Have a good one!

Never owned a pair of Kswiss...

Even if you have wifi I expect you'll be too busy in the SUN to enjoy it. Have fun.

Jamie
2011-03-08 5:39 PM
in reply to: #3388528

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA

Ways I've found to reduce stroke count:

1) Power into and out of the walls. Get a good push off the wall, get streamline, and get your kick going. In swimming we used to call these "flag drills" where you didn't breathe inside the flags - which forces you to get in and out of the walls fast.

As part of my quest to reduce my stroke count, Ive actually worked on pushing off the wall less.  The reasoning (read it somewhere) is that theres no wall to push off of during an OWS.  Is there some other tri related benefit to a good push off of the wall?  I know with flip turns, you dont do them in a race, but they help develop lung capacity, so there is a downside to not doing them in the pool.  Just wondering if there is some benefit to a hard push off the wall that Im missing out on.

2011-03-09 3:09 AM
in reply to: #3389109

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
vibratingp00 - 2011-03-08 6:39 PM

Ways I've found to reduce stroke count:

1) Power into and out of the walls. Get a good push off the wall, get streamline, and get your kick going. In swimming we used to call these "flag drills" where you didn't breathe inside the flags - which forces you to get in and out of the walls fast.

As part of my quest to reduce my stroke count, Ive actually worked on pushing off the wall less.  The reasoning (read it somewhere) is that theres no wall to push off of during an OWS.  Is there some other tri related benefit to a good push off of the wall?  I know with flip turns, you dont do them in a race, but they help develop lung capacity, so there is a downside to not doing them in the pool.  Just wondering if there is some benefit to a hard push off the wall that Im missing out on.

Not that I know of. 'Working the walls', in my mind, is strictly pool swimming tactic.

Jamie
2011-03-09 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Personally I like to eliminate anything from the pool that isn't like open water.  That includes the wall, or as much of it as I can eliminate.  I don't do flip turns and I just push off very light lightly to start my next lap.  With my level of freestyle, it is important for me to swim that stroke every inch possible.

Question for anyone with experience in the BT plans that use RPE.  I am doing the beginner plan which goes mostly by minutes and RPE.  I understand and am okay with training by time, but I couldn't really find the "scale" for RPE.  Does that typically go 1-10?  In a workout coming up this week the description is:

wu: 10:00 at RPE 2-3
main: 4 x ( 5:00 at RPE 3-4 with last30 seconds fast spin at RPE4, 2:00 at RPE 2)
cd: 7:00 work down to RPE3 then RPE2 to finish

Somehow I have to figure out my conversion over to HR fro these perceived effort zones.  Anyone know of the definitions of these zones or a rough approximation over to HR zones?

2011-03-09 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3390066

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

sbsmann - 2011-03-09 8:33 AM Personally I like to eliminate anything from the pool that isn't like open water.  That includes the wall, or as much of it as I can eliminate.  I don't do flip turns and I just push off very light lightly to start my next lap.  With my level of freestyle, it is important for me to swim that stroke every inch possible.

Question for anyone with experience in the BT plans that use RPE.  I am doing the beginner plan which goes mostly by minutes and RPE.  I understand and am okay with training by time, but I couldn't really find the "scale" for RPE.  Does that typically go 1-10?  In a workout coming up this week the description is:

main: 4 x ( 5:00 at RPE 3-4 with last30 seconds fast spin at RPE4, 2:00 at RPE 2)

Somehow I have to figure out my conversion over to HR fro these perceived effort zones.  Anyone know of the definitions of these zones or a rough approximation over to HR zones?

I'm using a BT plan that is based on RPE as well. I've always interpreted RPE 3 as your slow long distance pace. It should feel pretty reserved, like you could stay at that pace all day long. It's even a little slower than my Ironman race pace...think recovery workout pace. I view RPE 4 as just a bit faster than my IM race pace. RPE 5 would be something like a HIM pace. 6 and up is Sprint or Oly pace - pretty damn fast. I think it is based on a scale of 1-10 but I don't recall any of the workouts going much over RPE 6 or 7.

That's just the way I've used the scale - hone in on what works best for you and you'll be fine.

2011-03-09 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Okay folks...I got brave last night at the pool and asked the lifeguard to record a couple short videos of me swimming. I THINK I'm a decent swimmer only because I've been doing it since I was 4, but in reality it has been ages since I've had a coach and it's highly likely that a lot of bad habits have crept back into my stroke.

So I uploaded two short clips to youtube here and here. I did 200 warm up before doing this...and just went nice and easy.

First impressions:

• Holy crap I look S L O W! My turn over just seems VERY slow. I know my kick is pretty much non-existent but my arms look really slow. Good god.
  • I can see there's room for improving my high elbow but all things considered, I don't think it's too bad.
  • On the head-on angle, you can see my right arm comes up higher on the recovery than the left arm...I think this is due to my non-bilateral breathing. I'm always a little cocked to the right of center. I think this is making me bob up and down just a bit, and glide just a little longer on my right side than on my left.
  • Position in the water is actually not too bad - I think my hips are near the surface, head position is good, etc.

So I'm open to criticism - what say you?

2011-03-09 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3390153

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
dhopman - 2011-03-09 11:22 AM

Okay folks...I got brave last night at the pool and asked the lifeguard to record a couple short videos of me swimming. I THINK I'm a decent swimmer only because I've been doing it since I was 4, but in reality it has been ages since I've had a coach and it's highly likely that a lot of bad habits have crept back into my stroke.

So I uploaded two short clips to youtube here and here. I did 200 warm up before doing this...and just went nice and easy.

First impressions:

• Holy crap I look S L O W! My turn over just seems VERY slow. I know my kick is pretty much non-existent but my arms look really slow. Good god.
  • I can see there's room for improving my high elbow but all things considered, I don't think it's too bad.
  • On the head-on angle, you can see my right arm comes up higher on the recovery than the left arm...I think this is due to my non-bilateral breathing. I'm always a little cocked to the right of center. I think this is making me bob up and down just a bit, and glide just a little longer on my right side than on my left.
  • Position in the water is actually not too bad - I think my hips are near the surface, head position is good, etc.

First I must say stop showing off that you get to swim outside after I just got 3" of snow this morning and had a horrible commute into work.  Now, as far as the stroke, I say it looks pretty fluid and solid.  The only minor thing I would comment on is your reach looks like you get get a little longer, but knowing how fast you are Dave, I wouldn't be too concerned.  Keep up the good work.

2011-03-09 3:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
sbsmann - 2011-03-09 11:33 AM

Personally I like to eliminate anything from the pool that isn't like open water.  That includes the wall, or as much of it as I can eliminate.  I don't do flip turns and I just push off very light lightly to start my next lap.  With my level of freestyle, it is important for me to swim that stroke every inch possible.

Maybe this will help with RPE:

http://www.xtri.com/coaches_display.aspx?riIDReport=6799&CAT=54&xre...

Just something I found on google. I have no opinions on if the article is good/bad.

Jamie
2011-03-09 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
dhopman - 2011-03-09 12:22 PM

First impressions:

Looks good to me. With the times you posted I wouldn't change anything. You look very relaxed. You may have to increase your turnover for the first 500 or so of the IM for defensive reasons. I assume IMTX will have a mass start. If so, be ready to get clobbered. Flailing arms keep people away from you until you get some clean water ahead of you. I'm in no position to criticize your form that is for sure! It's good the kick is non-existent. You'll need your legs later. I only kick hard when people start to grab at my feet/legs.

Jamie
2011-03-09 3:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
sbsmann - 2011-03-09 11:33 AM

Just to add more confusion, it looks like that there are two 'accepted' Borg RPE scales. One of the goes 1-10 and the other 6-20. Never looked into it so I don't know the difference. Would highly recommend you run on pace if you can.

Jamie

2011-03-09 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
QOTD:

Did Dave post the video of him swimming OUTSIDE in the SUN just to rub it in to us midwesterners and Canadians!!!

My answer is YES! Damn you!!

I got in a continuous 2K swim and a 60' trainer ride with about 50% at FTP today.

Jamie

PS It's going to snow again here tomorrow.
2011-03-09 9:57 PM

User image

New user

I have been sneaking in workouts inbetween a 3 day company conference.  Running late at night and swimming before dinner... quite a challenge.  Did 40min on bike trainer tonight.  Bike is off trainer and headed to shop for maintenance and probably a new chain/cassette...  I will get it back after my trip to Germany next week...

AOTD1: 18-20 strokes

AOTD2:  swimming outside looks damn nice...

2011-03-09 10:49 PM

User image

Dave, thanks for posting the videos.  Nice stroke.  Looks real smooth and relaxed.  I'm no expert, but I noticed a few things related to the items you focused on that my swim coaches at Gold's always tell us.   (1) to get your left elbow higher, think about keeping your left hand closer to your body on the recovery.  I noticed it swings a bit wider than your right hand.  We do the "zipper drill" for that, and it tends to get the elbow up a bit more...but I must say, it's not much lower than your right, so I think just a little tweak will get it where you want it.  (2) IMO, your kick rate is right on.  The only thing I saw is that your left knee appears to bend more than your right knee, so the left side is a bit of a cycle kick, which, as you know, is less efficient.  That may also be caused by the unilateral breathing...you might be using that leg for some balance. That's all my untrained eye can see.  Like I said, nice stroke.

2011-03-10 8:08 AM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
dhopman - 2011-03-09 12:22 PM

First impressions:

I think you see it right.  Your left elbow is way out to the side when your right elbow is nice and high.  I try to remind myself to drag my fingers up my rib cage every once in a while.

I do agree with Jamie (i think it was him) that said turnover is a liitle slow - fine for the pool - but in OWS and mass start???

Looks nice and smooth!

I miss you sun! More rain here today and then some flurries.Yell

2011-03-10 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Sorry you guys are having much worse weather than I am on the west coast. =(

I'm hitting the pool tonight so I'll definitely be paying more attention to things 1. faster turnover 2. more even arm recovery 3. kick efficiency. Thanks for the help guys!

Last night I tried for a 90 minute run but only made about 75 minutes until I was bored to tears (it got dark and I was doing loops around the parking lot) and just decided to pack it up and head home. The first 20 minutes was rough. My stomach was out of sorts...I think I ate a yogurt too late in the day and hadn't digested it fully. Here's a picture from the run along the Bay Trail as the sun is setting...I PROMISE I'm not trying to rub in the nice weather!!!

QOTD: How many hours of sleep do you usually get? Is it pretty consistent? Do you notice a big difference in your energy levels if you get a poor nights sleep?

(IMG_0023.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0023.jpg (50KB - 10 downloads)

2011-03-10 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Ok, that picture is just not nice. I am convinced that the sun has burned up and moved away here in IN.

AQOD: I require lots of sleep!! I sleep between 7-9 hrs/ night. I shut off my light around 9pm and get up around 5:15am. If I don't get the sleep that I need, by about day 3, my b*!ch meter is pegged and I don't have the energy to do a good workout and I find that I make it's easier for me to make poor eating decisions too.

Well, I'm off to go swim. Have a good day everyone!!

2011-03-10 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
A solid 8 for me (no kids) is what I can bank on every night. Sometimes 9. If I get a bad nights sleep I REALLY feel it the next day. I feel like complete crap.

Nice pic Dave. What is that light in the sky?

I got a trainer ride in this morning and just came back from a lunch run downtown. It was pretty exciting with a bunch of people not watching where they are going. The big 10 tourney is in town and thousand of union people are protesting at the capital. It was like trying to run through a minefield.

Jamie
2011-03-10 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

First...I concur that the picture is NOT nice!

Second, AOTD = More is better with me.  It seems I often get 7 and that isn't quite enough for me.  I function best with 8hrs of sleep.  Furthermore, my wife and I have known to, on occasion, do a 10 hour sleepathon on the weekend and it really does make me feel like a new man.  If you ever have some extra time, give it a try.

2011-03-10 9:34 PM

User image

New user

I generally get 7hrs a night.  My back doesnt like me to sleep more than that.  I definitely need a new mattress.

good run today.  Off to Germany tomorrow.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40