BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-05-24 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3514141

Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED

Johanne-

Great job on the weight loss. I know how hard it can be at times. Keep up the good work.

Tracie

2011-05-25 3:19 AM
in reply to: #3515239

Extreme Veteran
Mike_D - 2011-05-24 5:39 AM

Had planned on a big swim day (a 'make me cry' day ), but it didn't happen.  Needed to be @ work early combined with final stages of moving last night left me w/ little time this AM, but I did what I could.

Swimming has become an interesting activity for me the past couple months. As a measuring stick, my time per 100 has come down quite a bit, but here's the funny part -- I still feel like I'm flailing in the water. When I get it right, I know it -- the smooth 'glide' in the water, good balance, etc. Its nearly effortless. I felt like that for maybe 1 minute total today. The rest was trying to get back to that feeling. The struggle continues. Some other swim observations I had today:

- I need a masters swim class. Its obvious I would have better workouts if I had folks in the pool with me, and a coach driving me. Unlike bike or run workouts, I have weak mental fitness when it comes to sticking to a workout plan. Not a fitness thing, though. Maybe just a boredom thing?

- Shared a lane today with a guy I nicknamed 'the fish' a while back as he just swims like he is one. Funny part is, I could keep up with him (a surprise to me!), but when it came to turning, he is quite good at flip turns, and I'm doing my non-flip turn around, and he would leave me in the dust. If I did decent flip turns, I think I'd do better in the pool. I tried one today and managed to get lots of water up my nose .

- Bilateral breathing is not easily learned, but if you keep at it, its manageable. I've been doing this for the past week or so, and its work, but worth it.

- I lose focus so easily while swimming. My mind wanders all over. I forget so quickly what the heck I'm supposed to be working on! . Doesn't happen with run or bike times, just in the pool.

Anyone else experiece stuff like this, or is it just my thing?

I'm with you on the flailing part. As to your points lets see -

1. If you think it will work go for it but if you can't afford it right now do some "do what you like" sessions. Basically get in the pool without any goals and just do whatever sets, drills, etc you like.

2. I haven't even tried flip turns yet but when I talked to BFF about it (a true water baby who is mostly self taught) she said it's simalar to doing a sumersault (sp?) in the water so practice them and see how you go. Another option is to find someone who can do them (e.g. this "fish" man) and get him to show you.

3. Totally agree.

4. If you do want to do a specific workout you could try getting a book that is waterproof to put the printouts in - e.g display book with plastic pockets - so that you can look at it when you need to to see what you're meant to do or need to do next.

Sara - have fun in New Orleans

Me - Did a "do what you like" swim session today and it was definitely focused on endurance. Funny thing is I actually grabbed a kickboard before getting in and only used it for maybe 1 lap (1/2 a lap backstroke kick and 1/2 freestyle) because I got sick of not moving very fast - decided not to count that lap in my total either as it was a complete waste of time, lol.

The sets I did do were: 1 x 25 free, 1 x 25 backstroke, 2 x 25 free,  1 x 50 free - only stop was to grab the wall and turn around, 2x 25 survival backstroke, 1 x100 backstroke - same stops as free and I basically just kept going till I couldn't anymore (need to work out a better way of finding the edge than whacking my arm on it though, lol), 1 x 50 freestyle. I still need to work on breathing (bilateral seems easier but doesn't quite give me enough air sometimes) and not swallowing the water - usually this is what mucks up the breathing and it's mainly on my weak (left) side. Maybe I'll try Sara's ultra beginner workout again and do all the sets as per the "wall breathing" again. I also found out that my average time for 25m free is around 1 min and I can do 25 m backstroke in 1:05.

I also did a lot of walking around today because we didn't want to wait for buses and will probably do the same as I'll be picking up my dress and maybe doing some other shopping. If I get home early enough though I'm going to try day 2 of the beginners exercise program

2011-05-25 6:25 AM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
suprisingly good run today. Finally a gorgeous day as well, so spirits were high . I went out to do a short 5k run, and finished it w/o any problems. Time was a surprise, and I ended up at an 8:55 pace. I honestly thought I was much slower, and was surprised at the time. I'll take, it, though!
2011-05-25 11:29 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

Johanne - congrats on the lost lbs.  I seem to have picked up a few the last two months, the must be yours

Suzie - Youtube has videos on how to do flip turns and most of the drills everyone mentions.  They helped me.

Mike - I love those "feel good" runs.  Usually a sign your body is adjusting to the workload. 

All is good here.  Official plan starts in June, the same day Ironman Coeur d'Alene opens for registration!!

2011-05-25 2:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

OK guys, I need your help.  First tri of the season is Saturday AM - T minus 3 days.  Need a couple of ideas/thoughts.  It's 400 yards in a pool with a serpentine path, 13.5 miles on the bike, and a 3.1 mile run.  First, what's the best way to warm up prior to the swim?  I won't likely be able to get in the pool prior to the start and I always feel tight my first 100-150 yards in the pool.  Second, my guess is that I'll have to go under the lane dividers several times during the event.  I don't do flip turns.  What's the best/fastest way to get this done?  Third, it's likely going to be in the low 60's at the time of the event.  I'm not a wimp when it comes to the cold, but thoughts on weather or not I should go with just a tri top or put a jacket on during the bike.

I'm starting to get pretty excited to get to the start line.  I've put in the time, have a solid base, and am properly tapering off this week.  All that remains is to enjoy the day!

2011-05-25 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3518576

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
croixfan - 2011-05-25 2:33 PM

OK guys, I need your help.  First tri of the season is Saturday AM - T minus 3 days.  Need a couple of ideas/thoughts.  It's 400 yards in a pool with a serpentine path, 13.5 miles on the bike, and a 3.1 mile run.  First, what's the best way to warm up prior to the swim?  I won't likely be able to get in the pool prior to the start and I always feel tight my first 100-150 yards in the pool.  Second, my guess is that I'll have to go under the lane dividers several times during the event.  I don't do flip turns.  What's the best/fastest way to get this done?  Third, it's likely going to be in the low 60's at the time of the event.  I'm not a wimp when it comes to the cold, but thoughts on weather or not I should go with just a tri top or put a jacket on during the bike.

I'm starting to get pretty excited to get to the start line.  I've put in the time, have a solid base, and am properly tapering off this week.  All that remains is to enjoy the day!

Ok, Curt, here's my $0.02...

- if you can't get in for a quick swim, then stretch a bit, and try to relax. Tense neck & shoulders are bad bad bad for swimming as we all know

- Just a quick dip under the lane marker would work.

- Go with just the tri top. You'll be warm enough in a hurry.

Have an awesome race!!!

2011-05-25 4:35 PM
in reply to: #3518069

Extreme Veteran

Chet - I've tried looking at youtube for some other stuff - breastroke, and touch turns and so far haven't been able to replicate them. I think I'll just wait til I can get BFF to come to the pool with me and get her to show me how to do the flip turns, etc - that or wait til I get lessons.

Curt - no advice here but good luck on the race.

Me - going to pick up my dress and hopefully getting in day 2 of the BEP today - if I get home before dark, lol.

2011-05-25 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3517286

User image

Master
Dunedin

suzielea - 2011-05-25 4:19 AM

1 x100 backstroke - same stops as free and I basically just kept going till I couldn't anymore (need to work out a better way of finding the edge than whacking my arm on it though, lol)

Do they have backstroke flags?  Typically, around here there are flags above the pool about 5 meters from each end.  You learn to count your strokes from the flags to the wall so you don't whack your head.  The flags never move, so you know the strokes it takes to get to the wall only changes if you change how you swim (if you kick harder or pull harder you'll take fewer strokes, for example)

2011-05-25 9:20 PM
in reply to: #3517346

User image

Master
Dunedin

Mike_D - 2011-05-25 7:25 AM suprisingly good run today. Finally a gorgeous day as well, so spirits were high . I went out to do a short 5k run, and finished it w/o any problems. Time was a surprise, and I ended up at an 8:55 pace. I honestly thought I was much slower, and was surprised at the time. I'll take, it, though!

Nice pace!! Great attitude, too!

2011-05-25 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3518595

User image

Master
Dunedin
Mike_D - 2011-05-25 3:41 PM
croixfan - 2011-05-25 2:33 PM

Ok, Curt, here's my $0.02...

- if you can't get in for a quick swim, then stretch a bit, and try to relax. Tense neck & shoulders are bad bad bad for swimming as we all know

- Just a quick dip under the lane marker would work.

- Go with just the tri top. You'll be warm enough in a hurry.

Have an awesome race!!!

I agree with Mike.  For pre-swim... I start with shoulder rolls forward, backwards, then do arm circles forward/backward, then "row"-arms out straight in front and pull straight back to squeeze your shoulder blades together.  Triceps-bend elbow above head and pull gently, switch sides.  Arm straight across chest and gently pull towards you with one hand behind the elbow of the arm being stretched, switch sides.  Trunk twists.  Leg swings front/back.  Left/right.  Ankle circles. 

2011-05-25 10:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Hm, I posted earlier today, but I'm not seeing it on here...weird! Or maybe I'm imagining things...

I finally got to train again today--SO glad I did--due to rain, our OWS was moved to a pool, followed by a treadmill run. I have to say, today was the first time that I actually really swam well! we did the normal 100m warm up, followed by numerous drills (side-kicking, catch-up, and kicking on the back...) then she had us swim for fifteen minutes straight--I barely have been able to go for 2 minutes---until today....I swam without running out of breath, without getting tired, without ANY of my usual issues! Whenever I felt the least bit of breathing resistance, I forced myself to relax and did catch-up drills (go figure...); while it was a slow pace, it kept me going (although, I think its actually faster than my usual pace!Undecided) and my breathing became regular again! Honestly, this was what I was looking for all along with my swimming! Tomorrow, I get to try it again in the open water!

After the swim we did a treadmill run--it ended up being an easy pace, with a couple of sprints thrown in--so a bit slow, 2.5 miles in 32 minutes...but still...I RAN the whole time.

I am really happy with my training tonight!

Now...off to do some inspires!!!Smile

2011-05-26 1:29 AM
in reply to: #3519201

Extreme Veteran

Sara - thanks. Yes they do have flags at each end of the pool. I'm going to try the stroke counting next time I go. It's actually the first time I've done backstroke in that pool for a while though - last time I did b/s I was in my gym's pool (now quit it so can't use it anymore) and I still had the same issue, lol. Dumb question - if I count strokes for a 25m pool would I just multiply them by 2 to get the number for a 50m pool? Oh and how do I get my head to relax? I kept having to make a conscious effort to look straight up rather than back when doing b/s yesterday.

Kate - WTG on your training session. Sounds like things are starting to come together for you. Congrats on a) swimming for the whole 15 mins and b) running the full 2.5 miles.

Me - decided to make this a rest day after my feet/legs started hurting while shopping but I did get quite a bit of walking in (albeit masquerading as shopping) and ran for the bus without getting winded or any real leg issues (as of immediately stopping anyway) it wasn't far but it was far enough that it's progress. Tomorrow (Friday) I'm going for a 3.5k (2.17M) bush walk with BFF's mum and will probably throw in the extra from her house to mine (about .7M) to make up a bit over my planned LD distance of 2.75M for the week. I'm definitely considering starting an actual running program once I've finished this walking one (which'll be next week) as I seem to be doing more "casual running" - for buses, trains, to avoid cars etc - than walking and I'm not getting as winded as I used to when doing it. I've also decided to swap my biking days for the week so they are back to back which means Sat will be swim and bike and Sun will be bike. Not totally sure what next week will entail yet though - I'll decide that on Monday.

2011-05-26 7:07 PM

I'm getting exicted. Only a week and 1/2 away from my first race. I'm a bit nervous too. I was reading about transition and they suggested using some sort of marker like a balloon or flag for your bike-any thoughts on that? Also was wondering if anyone thought the transition area was safe enough to leave my phone-according to the race they only allow racers and volunteers in. Any thoughts on if I should get a wet suit, I was hoping it was going to warm up here in Michigan but today it was 47 and raining-so I know the lake is going to be freezing. I have never swam in a wet suit and with the race being so close was wondering if anyone had any other ideas for keeping warm.

Curt-good luck on your race.

Tracie

2011-05-26 7:59 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

I just wanted to jump on real quick to say good luck Curt! Tracie-I have faith that some fellow group members can answer your questions, if not, I'll be back around Tuesday.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend to the folks in the US!

2011-05-26 10:48 PM
in reply to: #3520941

Extreme Veteran

Tracie - good luck in your race.

Me - got a total of 3.79 miles walking in today across 3 walks including a trail one complete with river crossings via rocks that made my feet wet. Thinking I'll definitely be starting the run/walk plan in earnest next week although I have to figure out days because I'm not sure I want to do hill runs yet - maybe I can keep them as walking right now to build strength along with long ones - what do you think?

2011-05-26 11:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Tracie--with my vast experience and knowledge of tris, Undecided I will answer your questions! (okay, I couldn't even TYPE that with a straight face!!!)

In the transition area, I and others I have talked to use a very stand out-y towel to put their stuff on underneath the rack--I used a really obnoxious bright beach towel (with giant frogs) in mine. As for the phone, it SHOULD be safe...but...check, if you can, with others who are familiar with the race, and if they believe that the transition areas are safe and well watched, then you should be ok. As for the swim--If you can, get out in your wetsuit as much as possible (even if its only once or twice) before your race day--even if you're not always swimming, it will get you used to the feel of the suit--which is very different--it is very fitted, and could be uncomfortable if you're not used to it. They are helpful, but they definitely take some getting used to....that being said,wetsuits are the only way I know of to really keep you warm while allowing you to swim in cold water....Good Luck, I know you will do great!

Tonight was another open water swim---I wish I could say that my wonderful swim from last night carried over, but it did not--the coach says I was probably tired from last night...I hope so. Tomorrow I will get out on the bike and aim for 10-15 miles---I am really feeling the need for a good bike ride.

2011-05-27 2:19 AM
in reply to: #3521166

Extreme Veteran
Kate - I'm sure your OWS was due to being tired. Have fun on the bike ride tomorrow
2011-05-27 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Happy Weekend (almost) everyone.

Good luck on your race, Curt!!!

I'm off to lovely Albany, NY for a kids soccer tournament. Hoping to get off my lazy azz and get moving while there.

See you in a few days!

2011-05-28 1:46 AM
in reply to: #3521486

Extreme Veteran

Good luck to your kids in their soccer tournament Mike. Have fun getting moving while there.

Me - just came back from day 2 of the beginner exercise program. 34:44 mins of riding with a 2:48 break at the half way point to have my inhaler and get my breathing under control again. I walked the bike home but I'm pretty sure I could have ridden it if I'd had a decent rest once my alarm went off.

Oh well - I'm getting my time in by riding to the pool tomorrow (day 3 is 40-45 mins) so I'll probably do better then although I'm not sure if I'll be able to ride up the hill (freeway overpass bridge) but I'll see what happens.

2011-05-28 2:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

First tri of the year is in the books.  There's some positives and some negatives.  On the plus side, I got everything out of my body that I could have, I was relaxed, and enjoyed the experience.  Another big positive was that my son one his age group and finished 17th out of around 200 folks.  I finished 61st out of around 200.  That's a new PR for me from overall percentile rank.  Also finished 7th out of 15 -- again another PR with regards to placement.  Probably the biggest positive was how I felt afterwards.  After nearly 1.5 hours of going after the event, my heart and lungs felt awesome!!!  Literally within about 2 minutes of finishing, I was back to normal.  Thinking back to my first event last year, I would not be typing this -- I was gassed / and took a 5 hour nap to recover.  This time, I'm just a bit tender in the muscles, but feel great.

On the "opportunity" front, there's a great take away.  I need to make some modifications to my training if I want to get to the next level.  I've built the base and can finish the events no problem.  It may be time to turn up the intensity and build some speed.  Today when I needed to push, it just wasn't there / the body said "no" -- good news is that I listened and took what the body would give me.  I'll re-evaluate over the coming week.  While I want to grow/improve, I'm only going to do so if it's in a safe manner as I promised myself this was to IMPROVE my health and not jeapordize it.

It was interesting looking at the results as there was a group of guys that are clearly a notch above me.  These are the "veterans" that I'd like to be in the race with.  I was the top guy right below them, so I can see that I've managed to move up a rung in the competitions. 

Right afterwards I was a little disappointed as I did not meet my expectations from a time standpoint.  However, after stepping back and thinking it through, it was a great start to the season.  The training paid off, there's good progress, I made the right decisions, and I now know where to focus for further improvement.

I've posted a full summary on the attached link if you guys want to take a look. 

Hope everyone has a great Holiday weekend.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=254131&posts=1&start=1

ETA -- Were 133 people and 18 in my age group / still happy with the finish!

Edited by croixfan 2011-05-28 5:48 PM
2011-05-29 6:50 AM

User image

I think I'm back! The real estate drama ended last weekend and we are finally moved into our new house! Spent this week with a bronchitis type illness and am hoping to get going this week. It is our last week of school, so that helps with my motivation as well. Looking forward to catching up!

2011-05-29 3:17 PM

I got in a good 9.43 mile ride today. Had this great plan of taking my bike with me to the pool, and getting my ride in after my swim. I tell you if it's not one thing it's another, hubby got called into work so I couldn't do both. I had to do a lot of training indoors this spring and my time is much faster indoors than out. I had my time figured out in my head and now I'm going to be 10 mins slower. Well no matter what I'm going out to have fun, and give it my best.

Laura-glad to see you.

Tracie

2011-05-29 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3523039

Extreme Veteran
Great work on the race Curt, to both you and your son. Congrats on the new PR's and pass on the congrats for winning his AG to your son.
2011-05-29 7:02 PM
in reply to: #3523487

Extreme Veteran

Nadaswimmer - welcome back. Hope you get over the bronchitis illness soon.

Tracie - you sound like me - I can get up to like 14kph on the gym bikes but only half that outside. I too tried the bike, pool thing (don't have a car so intended doing a duathlon type day) and it didn't go very well. Swim was useless and I ended up having to walk by bike home cos I didn't have the energy to ride it.

If you want specifics of the workout described above go to my log. I'm definitely looking at repeating week 1 of the beginner exercise program though - I want to be able to do all rides as prescribed before moving on. I'm also thinking I'll be focusing on bike and swim this week as I have 3 blisters on my toes that hurt when I walk so I don't want to really test them by running yet.

2011-05-30 6:29 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Good morning everyone! Finallly back from the Albany adventure this weekend. Do have to say my daughter deserves some shout outs for being not only a part of the tourney champions team but also being the winner of the team leadership award for the tourney! Way to go, Zoe!

I managed one lame rum while away, but di get out on the bike this AM. I decided to ride the tri course I'll be racing in a few weeks, and took it at a decent pace, but didn't push it too much. I did the 13 miles in just under 39 minutes, which is 13 minutes faster than I did the actual race last June. I think I should be able to get a bit better by race day, and at the race with the adrenoline flowing, maybe even get to 37 ish. Felt great when I finished the ride

Off to the memorial day parade in a bit to see the other daughter march with her girl scout troop! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72