BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-06-19 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
Training done for the week.  Now going to lay around and watch some golf.  Easy ride and run this morning.  One of my bigger  volume weeks on the bike with 141 miles.  Three weeks to my next race-Chattanooga Olympic.  

Randy

2011-06-19 9:20 PM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

Got my bike and swims in for my first training week. Only got one of the runs in. Partly sidetracked by life, partly just struggling with doing it in the heat. Ugh! Will try again next week to stay on track better. Hope everyone has a good one!

2011-06-20 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3557013

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
djb45 - 2011-06-19 9:20 PM

Got my bike and swims in for my first training week. Only got one of the runs in. Partly sidetracked by life, partly just struggling with doing it in the heat. Ugh! Will try again next week to stay on track better. Hope everyone has a good one!

Just do your best.  It is SOOO hard to fit everything in.  Most of my weeks are missing something.

Christy

2011-06-20 7:38 AM
in reply to: #3556606

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-06-19 3:02 PM Training done for the week.  Now going to lay around and watch some golf.  Easy ride and run this morning.  One of my bigger  volume weeks on the bike with 141 miles.  Three weeks to my next race-Chattanooga Olympic.  

Randy

Your logs are crazy!!  I need to stop looking at them.  I have graph envy Smile.

2011-06-20 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3557353

User image

Master
South Alabama
cbrookhart - 2011-06-20 7:38 AM

slornow - 2011-06-19 3:02 PM Training done for the week.  Now going to lay around and watch some golf.  Easy ride and run this morning.  One of my bigger  volume weeks on the bike with 141 miles.  Three weeks to my next race-Chattanooga Olympic.  

Randy

Your logs are crazy!!  I need to stop looking at them.  I have graph envy Smile.

"Graph envy"  that's funny!  I will likely have another pretty good volume week this week as my daughter is at camp and my wife and son left this morning with my mother in law on a week long trip.  So, I am a batchelor until next Sunday.

I suspect I will cut back some after the Chattanooga race on July 10.  That will be my 5th race of  the season which started the first weekend of April for me.  Not sure what I will do after that.  Maybe a couple of local sprints in August-October.  Maybe a Fall HIM...kind of hate to "waste" the base I have built up since the first of the year.  BUT, don't want to overdo it either.  Fall will be busy with weekend cross country meets for son/daughter and with my son being a senior there will be some college trips to do as well.  I did the Ironstar HIM in Conroe, TX north of Houston last November.  It was a good race and a nice venue so maybe I will go back??  I think they had to change the name to delete the "Iron" part and think it will be the Oilman or something like that.

Hope everyone has a great week.  Swim at lunch.  "leg rest" day for me so no bike or running.  Maybe yoga tonight if I am not to lazy!

Randy    
2011-06-20 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3557374

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
slornow - 2011-06-20 7:52 AM
cbrookhart - 2011-06-20 7:38 AM

Randy

"Graph envy"  that's funny!  I will likely have another pretty good volume week this week as my daughter is at camp and my wife and son left this morning with my mother in law on a week long trip.  So, I am a batchelor until next Sunday.

I suspect I will cut back some after the Chattanooga race on July 10.  That will be my 5th race of  the season which started the first weekend of April for me.  Not sure what I will do after that.  Maybe a couple of local sprints in August-October.  Maybe a Fall HIM...kind of hate to "waste" the base I have built up since the first of the year.  BUT, don't want to overdo it either.  Fall will be busy with weekend cross country meets for son/daughter and with my son being a senior there will be some college trips to do as well.  I did the Ironstar HIM in Conroe, TX north of Houston last November.  It was a good race and a nice venue so maybe I will go back??  I think they had to change the name to delete the "Iron" part and think it will be the Oilman or something like that.

Hope everyone has a great week.  Swim at lunch.  "leg rest" day for me so no bike or running.  Maybe yoga tonight if I am not to lazy!

Randy    

You're home alone for a week?!?  Now I'm really jealous. 

My HIM this week is the last race I'm signed up for.  I feel the same way.  I've trained so hard, I don't want to waste it.  I might sign up for an oly in August.  We'll see.  Enjoy your swim.

2011-06-20 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore

I totally agree on the graph envy - nice work Randy!

I've been struggling with a total lack of motivation.  I can bike, and I want to bike, and I even plan to bike, but then the time to bike comes and a generally just say "screw it".  Some is definitely because of the total dissarray my house is in right now (and my fiancee's and my old houses) and our trips to Home Depot, back to the old houses, time spend putting away boxes and building things from Ikea.  That stuff just consumes your whole weekend before you even know it.  That, and my parents early wedding present (a 55 inch LED LCD!!!) have distracted me. 

that all said - it's just an excuse.  Motivation is my real issue.  I can't seem to find a reason to care to train anymore.  I'm not signed up for anything and don't have any plans for anything.  I hope this is just a phase a little dedicaiton will get me out of.  I don't have an indoor bike area in the new house yet, but my goal today is to get home, set it up, and hit the trainer for an hour tonight and tomorrow AM (got my next doc's appt tommorrow AM so I've got some time before it).  Wish me luck!

2011-06-20 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3557504

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 2011-06-20 8:51 AM

I totally agree on the graph envy - nice work Randy!

I've been struggling with a total lack of motivation.  I can bike, and I want to bike, and I even plan to bike, but then the time to bike comes and a generally just say "screw it".  Some is definitely because of the total dissarray my house is in right now (and my fiancee's and my old houses) and our trips to Home Depot, back to the old houses, time spend putting away boxes and building things from Ikea.  That stuff just consumes your whole weekend before you even know it.  That, and my parents early wedding present (a 55 inch LED LCD!!!) have distracted me. 

that all said - it's just an excuse.  Motivation is my real issue.  I can't seem to find a reason to care to train anymore.  I'm not signed up for anything and don't have any plans for anything.  I hope this is just a phase a little dedicaiton will get me out of.  I don't have an indoor bike area in the new house yet, but my goal today is to get home, set it up, and hit the trainer for an hour tonight and tomorrow AM (got my next doc's appt tommorrow AM so I've got some time before it).  Wish me luck!

[/QUOTE

Good luck!  A lack of motivation is the worst.  Maybe your dr will have good news and that will be the spark you need. 

I just got an email from the race director, and they've changed the bike course again.  Can you guys look at the elevation and tell me what you think?

http://www.hfpracing.com/images/stories/misc/MTD_Courses2011-A2.pdf

Thanks

2011-06-20 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3556606

User image

Master
Baltimore

slornow - 2011-06-19 4:02 PM Training done for the week.  Now going to lay around and watch some golf.  Easy ride and run this morning.  One of my bigger  volume weeks on the bike with 141 miles.  Three weeks to my next race-Chattanooga Olympic.  

Randy

not to brag or anything, but my friend (who just rocked Eman last weekend) had an extra ticket to the Open on Friday and I was there.   It was a fun experience being at the event, but you really can't see a lot of golf or follow along easily.

2011-06-20 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3557838

User image

Master
South Alabama
jsiegs - 2011-06-20 10:49 AM

not to brag or anything, but my friend (who just rocked Eman last weekend) had an extra ticket to the Open on Friday and I was there.   It was a fun experience being at the event, but you really can't see a lot of golf or follow along easily.

Joe-NICE! I am not much of a golfer and rarely play now that I do this triathlon stuff.  But, it is fun to go to a tournament and see these guys play.  I always put in for the Masters lottery and have been to 3 practice rounds there.  Never drawn tickets for Thurs-Sunday but have had a great time going to the practice rounds...pretty amazing place.

Randy 
2011-06-20 11:13 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Christy-just looked at the elevation map.  OUCH .

I have never ridden a course with that much of a grade so I can't really provide any advice other than to SPIN the uphills and enjoy the downhills.  Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

Randy

2011-06-20 11:14 AM

User image

Regular
Carmichael

Had an absolutely awesome race on Sunday! Blew my mind how well it went. Here is a link to my race report

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=257369

My nutrition was spot on, pacing was really good, and I felt like for where my training is at it was the perfect race.

Trying to figure out what to do next now. I haven't signed up for any more races but would like to do at least one more half and hopefully a couple olympics. Problem is I am going to be gone from training for at least 2 weeks in the next month and a half so I don't know how prepared I would be for the early august HIM I was planning on. What do you guys think, would the base I have built  up already help carry me through those 2 weeks out?

2011-06-20 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Awesome race Matt!!  Sounds like it couldn't have gone much better.  How much did you eat/drink on the bike? Did you have a set time that you would eat?  How about the run?  Was Victoria as beautiful as I remember?

Congrats!

Christy

2011-06-20 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3557904

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-06-20 11:13 AM Christy-just looked at the elevation map.  OUCH .

I have never ridden a course with that much of a grade so I can't really provide any advice other than to SPIN the uphills and enjoy the downhills.  Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

Randy

Yeah...I wish I lived closer so I could see it.  Still not sure if I can ride my tri bike.  I'm running out of time to make a decision.

Christy

2011-06-20 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3557924

User image

Master
Baltimore
cbrookhart - 2011-06-20 12:24 PM

Randy

Yeah...I wish I lived closer so I could see it.  Still not sure if I can ride my tri bike.  I'm running out of time to make a decision.

Christy

Why not?  In all but the most extreme, a tri bike should be faster.  That assumes you're equally fit, comfortable (able to be in aero w/o problems), and same gearing.  You'll be out of aero climbing on a tri bike, but the rest of the time you're in aero should make up for it.

2011-06-20 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3557934

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 2011-06-20 11:26 AM

Randy

Christy

Why not?  In all but the most extreme, a tri bike should be faster.  That assumes you're equally fit, comfortable (able to be in aero w/o problems), and same gearing.  You'll be out of aero climbing on a tri bike, but the rest of the time you're in aero should make up for it.

I think my gears are different.  I am worried I can't make it up the hills on my tri bike.  Am I being crazy?  Doesn't a  road bike have more gears.  I realize I'm WAY over thinking this.  I'm just scared. 

Christy

2011-06-20 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3557907

User image

Master
Baltimore
MattCan - 2011-06-20 12:14 PM

Had an absolutely awesome race on Sunday! Blew my mind how well it went. Here is a link to my race report

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=257369

My nutrition was spot on, pacing was really good, and I felt like for where my training is at it was the perfect race.

Trying to figure out what to do next now. I haven't signed up for any more races but would like to do at least one more half and hopefully a couple olympics. Problem is I am going to be gone from training for at least 2 weeks in the next month and a half so I don't know how prepared I would be for the early august HIM I was planning on. What do you guys think, would the base I have built  up already help carry me through those 2 weeks out?

Nice job!  That was your first half, right?  very impressive you were able to handle nutrition and pacing well, congrats.

Can you do anything those weeks, like just get a few runs in or something? 2 weeks won't kill you regardless, and you should be ok (or even faster!).

2011-06-20 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3557952

User image

Master
Baltimore
cbrookhart - 2011-06-20 12:31 PM

Randy

Christy

I think my gears are different.  I am worried I can't make it up the hills on my tri bike.  Am I being crazy?  Doesn't a  road bike have more gears.  I realize I'm WAY over thinking this.  I'm just scared. 

Christy

You're not

A road bike and a tri bike are independent of the gears you put on them (i.e. you can put any type of gearing on either).  As I remember, you weren't familiar with the road bike/fit on it though?  That concerns me.  You're tri bike was compact (50/34) in front and a 12-25 in back?  What was the road bike again?

A new cassette (11-27 or similar) would give you the best range on either bike.  Might be a little late for that though??

2011-06-20 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3557962

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 2011-06-20 11:35 AM
cbrookhart - 2011-06-20 12:31 PM

Randy

Christy

Christy

You're not

A road bike and a tri bike are independent of the gears you put on them (i.e. you can put any type of gearing on either).  As I remember, you weren't familiar with the road bike/fit on it though?  That concerns me.  You're tri bike was compact (50/34) in front and a 12-25 in back?  What was the road bike again?

A new cassette (11-27 or similar) would give you the best range on either bike.  Might be a little late for that though??

Guessing i don't have time for a new cassette Frown.

My road bike is 12-25 in the back (if i counted right) and it has 3 rings on the front 52/42/30 (I think).  I was going to use my sisters.  She has a nicer bike.  The cassette is 11-28 and the crankset is 50/34. 

Christy

2011-06-20 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Is it hard to change a cassette?  I just realized I could use my sisters.  I did call my bike shop and they can do it today.  But if I can use my sisters, I'd rather not spend the money right now.  Is it something I can do? 

Christy

2011-06-20 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3558059

User image

Master
Baltimore
cbrookhart - 2011-06-20 1:15 PM

Is it hard to change a cassette?  I just realized I could use my sisters.  I did call my bike shop and they can do it today.  But if I can use my sisters, I'd rather not spend the money right now.  Is it something I can do? 

Christy

How do you feel biking north of Baltimore? I consider that very hilly. Cassette swap is very easy - the shop can show you how and have the tools you'll need (2 of them).

2011-06-20 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3558059

User image

Master
South Alabama
Christy-it is not hard to change out a cassette but there are some specific tools you have to have...not the usual pliers, wrenches etc.  It would be worth the few $ the shop would charge to have it done right headed into the race.  If you do that I would have them check the rear drailleur and make any needed adjustments.

Randy 
2011-06-20 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3558268

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-06-20 1:30 PM Christy-it is not hard to change out a cassette but there are some specific tools you have to have...not the usual pliers, wrenches etc.  It would be worth the few $ the shop would charge to have it done right headed into the race.  If you do that I would have them check the rear drailleur and make any needed adjustments.

Randy 

So I could have the bike shop switch them? I figured I'd have to buy a new one to have them do it.  I'm not up on my bike shop etiquite.

Joe-I haven't been up there much.  I did a ride at Oregon Ridge a couple years ago.  It was on my road bike.  It was tough but I wasn't in great shape.  Certainly not good biking shape. 

Is there any draw back to the 11-28?

Christy

2011-06-20 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3558290

User image

Master
Baltimore
They will switch it for you and make sure it's all compatible and running well for a fee. There are drawbacks to an 11-28. First, your RD may not be able to handle it (because the 28 is so big it may need a long cage). The bike shop will let you know that. The other drawback is that because the range is so big, you get more spacing between the gears. So you may find one gear is too hard and the next too easy because it skips a gear. A tighter cassette won't skip as many gears. If it's really hilly though, you may not be in any gear long enough to notice (vs very flat were you're in the same gear for a long time).
2011-06-20 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3558317

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

jsiegs - 2011-06-20 1:47 PM They will switch it for you and make sure it's all compatible and running well for a fee. There are drawbacks to an 11-28. First, your RD may not be able to handle it (because the 28 is so big it may need a long cage). The bike shop will let you know that. The other drawback is that because the range is so big, you get more spacing between the gears. So you may find one gear is too hard and the next too easy because it skips a gear. A tighter cassette won't skip as many gears. If it's really hilly though, you may not be in any gear long enough to notice (vs very flat were you're in the same gear for a long time).

I didn't know there would be so much thinking in triathlon Yell!!!  This has consumed my whole day.  I'm glad I don't have a job.  I would certainly be fired. 

It doesn't seem really hilly.  Just a couple spots that look scary.  About a mile at a 7% grade.  Maybe I'll try to find something like that around here (in the next couple of days). 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56