General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-08-29 3:25 PM
in reply to: #4386315

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
daviddclough - 2012-08-29 12:54 PM

For you veterans:

I am trying to get more arrow on the bike.

Should I remove the baseball cards from my spokes?  How about the bell and basket on my handlebars?

;P

As long as it's a cow bell you should be ok

2012-08-29 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3693947

Is it too late to introduce myself?

Name: pnelson/Peter

What is your Ironman resume? IMWI 2005, 2007 (10:42 PR, 143 overall), 2009, 2011...2013

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? Graduated from Verona, live in Madison, weekly recon rides and runs for a decade...and sleeping in my own bed on race day.

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? Be the best darn Run Special Needs bagger ever.

What are you most looking forward to? Cheering for everyone, seeing their dreams come true.  Encourging people starting their first and second run loops.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? Finish in daylight, much more enjoyable...just finish before midnight.  Don't anger the locals, I don't want to get run over the next time I come through...or have this great race discontinued.  Spend lots and lots of money...and leave some beer for the rest of us. 

Let me know if anyone has any broad or specific questions the last week of training.  I've lived in the Madison area for 20+ years and experience Ironman.

2012-08-29 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4379810

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
mighty mom - 2012-08-25 8:02 AM

Discussing nutrition has reminded me... around mi 80 of my long rides I have serious cravings for non-sugary food, particularly a turkey sandwich.  I haven't really figured any on course solution to satisfy my craving.  Anyone else have a similar craving and how do you deal with it?  In my last 100+ miler I had my husband meet me and I had a small snack of leftover grilled chicken and cucumber.  It was heaven.

Turkey jerky was my savior in the hot, 1/2 Iron I did this summer. It doesn't spoil, is small, light & worked out great on the bike between all the sweet stuff. I've never done a full, though.
2012-08-29 3:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
I just want to wish everyone GOOD LUCK in the race. I'm volunteering on Saturday at registration and then in a kayak on Sunday. Hopefully you'll need my help more on Saturday than on Sunday. I'll be hoping for good weather and rooting for you all. You've put in an incredible amount of time and effort into training & soon you'll be racing. I get excited to volunteer, so I can't imagine how excited you all are!!
2012-08-29 4:40 PM
in reply to: #4386768

User image

Middle of Nowhere, Manitoba, Canada
wiky - 2012-08-29 3:12 PM

tmoran80 - 2012-08-29 3:22 PM I think this might have been discussed already but I just bought new race tires and was wondering when I should put them on?  Should I get a couple rides on them before the race?  Thanks!

Yes, ride 'em if you have time.  Lowers the Crr according to some.

I just put mine on Monday night.  If anything, having a few hours on them just helps me feel confident that everything runs smooth.

2012-08-29 4:53 PM
in reply to: #4387011

JR1981 - 2012-08-29 4:40 PM
wiky - 2012-08-29 3:12 PM

tmoran80 - 2012-08-29 3:22 PM I think this might have been discussed already but I just bought new race tires and was wondering when I should put them on?  Should I get a couple rides on them before the race?  Thanks!

Yes, ride 'em if you have time.  Lowers the Crr according to some.

I just put mine on Monday night.  If anything, having a few hours on them just helps me feel confident that everything runs smooth.

Got to put on new equipment a least a week before...put it on tonight.  Better it breaks now than on race day.  For my pre-race bike tune-up, I always do it a few days before the race, ride it once or twice to work out the kinks but not too much time so that another problem can develop.

2012-08-29 7:16 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Best of luck to all of you! I am going to be body marking so that I have the whole day to cheer you on. I plan on signing up the next day and am curious if anyone has suggestions about hotels for 2013. I am sure they fill up fast and I would like to be close to the race site.
2012-08-29 8:11 PM

User image

West Bend, WI
Congratulations to all who have made it this far. I am always amazed at the dedication of Ironman athletes. I have volunteered in the past and will be again on Saturday this year. The atmosphere is so positive and everyone one seems so excited to be there. Good luck to all competing!Jessica
2012-08-29 8:41 PM
in reply to: #4387264

User image

JKreuzig - 2012-08-29 8:11 PM Congratulations to all who have made it this far. I am always amazed at the dedication of Ironman athletes. I have volunteered in the past and will be again on Saturday this year. The atmosphere is so positive and everyone one seems so excited to be there. Good luck to all competing!Jessica

thanks!

2012-08-30 6:24 AM
in reply to: #4386809

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
tuwood - 2012-08-29 4:25 PM
daviddclough - 2012-08-29 12:54 PM

For you veterans:

I am trying to get more arrow on the bike.

Should I remove the baseball cards from my spokes?  How about the bell and basket on my handlebars?

;P

As long as it's a cow bell you should be ok

I LOVE it!  I needed her back when I was in college. The Purple cow is my alma mater's mascot. 

2012-08-30 7:59 AM
in reply to: #4387197

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Kath2163 - 2012-08-29 7:16 PM Best of luck to all of you! I am going to be body marking so that I have the whole day to cheer you on. I plan on signing up the next day and am curious if anyone has suggestions about hotels for 2013. I am sure they fill up fast and I would like to be close to the race site.

After you register, you'll go through a room with computers set up for booking hotels at all the downtown locations.  They're all going to require a minimum 3 night stay and they jack their rates up.  If you want to stay within a couple blocks of start, plan on dropping close to a grand for the hotel.  Also, these hotels are only available through the onsite booking process, at least for awhile.  This year, I'm staying at the University Inn, about a mile west of the race, $600 for the three nights.  I booked the reservation about two weeks after last year's race.  Another option is to stay at the Holiday Inn Express on John Nolan Dr.  It's a couple miles away, but it's right across the street from the race shuttle and they don't start taking reservations until a couple of weeks after this year's race.

You can also try the Ruby Marie hotel to find out when they begin taking reservations.  They're a tiny hotel about two blocks north of the race, and I don't think they're involved in the onsite booking (I could be wrong on that).  They're relatively cheap, $160-$260/night depending on room size, but only have a couple of rooms to offer.

2012-08-30 8:00 AM

User image

Ok my first minor freak out and we're still 10 days away!
Need some opinions on my hotel choice.
To preface it will be my wife and 3 kids (6,4, & 1mos) my In laws and parents are all staying at the same hotel so it would be a pain to change not to mention expensive.
My dilemma started last eve when I was setting up my order to rent a 'my athlete tracker' and was looking for the address of my hotel but couldn't find my confirmation email so I started googling the place and came upon some scary reviews. Dogs/dirt/mold/BEDBUGS!/poor service! Now I know you get poor reviews every where but I do jot want to have to deal with a pissed off wife when I get there Thursday!

So my question is for those who know of or have stayed at the Howard Johnson Plaza hotel Madison. I thought I was safe with a HOJO being moderately priced but clean.
Anyone else been there? Staying there? It's about 5 miles east of race start
2012-08-30 8:16 AM
in reply to: #4387693

User image

Regular
Waterloo
kevin_trapp - 2012-08-30 7:59 AM

Kath2163 - 2012-08-29 7:16 PM Best of luck to all of you! I am going to be body marking so that I have the whole day to cheer you on. I plan on signing up the next day and am curious if anyone has suggestions about hotels for 2013. I am sure they fill up fast and I would like to be close to the race site.

After you register, you'll go through a room with computers set up for booking hotels at all the downtown locations.  They're all going to require a minimum 3 night stay and they jack their rates up.  If you want to stay within a couple blocks of start, plan on dropping close to a grand for the hotel.  Also, these hotels are only available through the onsite booking process, at least for awhile.  This year, I'm staying at the University Inn, about a mile west of the race, $600 for the three nights.  I booked the reservation about two weeks after last year's race.  Another option is to stay at the Holiday Inn Express on John Nolan Dr.  It's a couple miles away, but it's right across the street from the race shuttle and they don't start taking reservations until a couple of weeks after this year's race.

You can also try the Ruby Marie hotel to find out when they begin taking reservations.  They're a tiny hotel about two blocks north of the race, and I don't think they're involved in the onsite booking (I could be wrong on that).  They're relatively cheap, $160-$260/night depending on room size, but only have a couple of rooms to offer.

Not all of the hotels available at the on-site booking are that expensive.  I booked the AmericInn Madison-West, which admittedly is a little bit of a drive, but no 3-night minimum and total came to about $180.  Something to consider if you do these things on a budget like me.  I know there were other affordable options available too, some may even have been closer to the start.

2012-08-30 8:46 AM
in reply to: #4387725

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
ersnyder3654 - 2012-08-30 8:16 AM
kevin_trapp - 2012-08-30 7:59 AM

Not all of the hotels available at the on-site booking are that expensive.  I booked the AmericInn Madison-West, which admittedly is a little bit of a drive, but no 3-night minimum and total came to about $180.  Something to consider if you do these things on a budget like me.  I know there were other affordable options available too, some may even have been closer to the start.

From what I've found, hotels within about a 2 mile radius all require the 3 night minimum.  And hotels within a block or two of Monono Terrace are going to cost you a grand.  You can definitely find some further out that won't break the bank.  If you plan to stay a little ways out, the shuttle from the Alliant Energy Center is great.  I've used it twice, last year as a volunteer and 2010 as a racer.  Both times there was no waiting and no worries of trying to figure out how to get downtown.

Edited by kevin_trapp 2012-08-30 8:47 AM
2012-08-30 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4387725

User image

I race with my team - Team Z from out of Northern Va. and each year we either book block hotel set ups or revert to rental houses.

The Double Tree in Madison is usually where we stay for hotels at Wisconsin. it's a pretty solid set up, and quick walk to the race site etc. The rate is around $200/night though

This year, and last time I raced at Wisconsin 2010 - I went with a rental house. Its the best way to go in my book. Cheaper, and a more relaxed environment. You also get more than just a hotel room. Also the added bonus of a house setting.

I definitely think if you know a couple of people racing or plan on bringing family with you, a rental house is the way to go. They can be tricky to find at times, as they sell out quick. But if you land one, they are always a great time. ww.VRBO.com is the site I always use.

This year I rented a house with 5 friends (3 miles from the race site), and we are all going to pay less than $300 for Thursday - Tuesday.

Definitely look at rental houses as an option.

Good luck to everyone racing. you'll probably see us out there - we have around 60 people racing Wisconsin this year. Green Jerseys with a Z on them.  Though usually at Wisconsin we hear "go team 2" as our "Z" looks kind of like a "2"

www.triteamz.com

anyway - see you guys out there.

2012-08-30 8:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Williamstown NJ

Best of luck to everyone racing IMWI.  I will be cheering from NJ and hoping to be able to sign up online for 2013.  So hopefully there are spots left.

I look forward to going back and reading all the pages of this thread to get more info.  I did IMNYC this year and even thought I was a late finisher (16:18:xx) I am hooked and want to attempt another next year.

2012-08-30 10:52 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I did my final ride of the loop this morning and Hwy 92 is a dream!  The resurfacing makes a huge difference.  Now if we could only get them to do that on Hwy G and maybe Stagecoach!

I did see the little flags up at the SN area in Verona too.  Makes it all very real!

2012-08-30 11:20 AM
in reply to: #4388063

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
SSMinnow - 2012-08-30 11:52 AM

I did my final ride of the loop this morning and Hwy 92 is a dream!  The resurfacing makes a huge difference.  Now if we could only get them to do that on Hwy G and maybe Stagecoach!

I did see the little flags up at the SN area in Verona too.  Makes it all very real!

Hooray!!

2012-08-30 11:23 AM

User image

Loves Park

Hey all you vets...What are some good places for friends and family to watch on the bike? I know there is a shuttle to Verona, but what else. I was looking on the map and the big long hill right after stagecoach outside of that park seemed like an option, are there spectators there? If so, where would they park? I voulenteered at Mount Horeb last year and that also seemed like an option...Any other good spots?

2012-08-30 11:27 AM

User image

Ok so fortunately I can cancel my reservation for the HOJO any recommendations on places to stay? My wife found a courtyard by Marriott that still has some availability
2012-08-30 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4388142

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
bigpaps - 2012-08-30 11:23 AM

Hey all you vets...What are some good places for friends and family to watch on the bike? I know there is a shuttle to Verona, but what else. I was looking on the map and the big long hill right after stagecoach outside of that park seemed like an option, are there spectators there? If so, where would they park? I voulenteered at Mount Horeb last year and that also seemed like an option...Any other good spots?

Just past that long hill, the course makes a right turn on to Timber Lane and there's a short but very steep hill.  The crowd is a party lining both sides of the street, people chasing you up it, very fun place to be.  If there's kids watching, then probably stick to Verona.  There will be more for them to do.

2012-08-30 11:39 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
bigpaps - 2012-08-30 12:23 PM

Might be better options, but my family has had good luck spectating on Old Salk Pass.  I believe they drive in on Old Saul Rd and park somewhere along it and walk to the bottom of the hill and run up it with me -- not good for my HR cap, but very fun!  After the second loop they are able to get back and park in time to catch T2.  (They take off between bike loops to get food or coffee nearby.)  Def makes the day enjoyable to have people out there supporting you.

2012-08-30 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4388183

User image

Champion
wiky - 2012-08-30 11:39 AM
bigpaps - 2012-08-30 12:23 PM

Might be better options, but my family has had good luck spectating on Old Salk Pass.  I believe they drive in on Old Saul Rd and park somewhere along it and walk to the bottom of the hill and run up it with me -- not good for my HR cap, but very fun!  After the second loop they are able to get back and park in time to catch T2.  (They take off between bike loops to get food or coffee nearby.)  Def makes the day enjoyable to have people out there supporting you.

This is a great option because it's a decent drive from downtown and you can park all along Old Sauk Road and walk to the hill.  The other option is Midtown Road, but it is a little harder to navigate traffic.

2012-08-30 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4387695

User image

Champion

HUSKRFJ - 2012-08-30 8:00 AM Ok my first minor freak out and we're still 10 days away!
Need some opinions on my hotel choice.
To preface it will be my wife and 3 kids (6,4, & 1mos) my In laws and parents are all staying at the same hotel so it would be a pain to change not to mention expensive.
My dilemma started last eve when I was setting up my order to rent a 'my athlete tracker' and was looking for the address of my hotel but couldn't find my confirmation email so I started googling the place and came upon some scary reviews. Dogs/dirt/mold/BEDBUGS!/poor service! Now I know you get poor reviews every where but I do jot want to have to deal with a pissed off wife when I get there Thursday!

So my question is for those who know of or have stayed at the Howard Johnson Plaza hotel Madison. I thought I was safe with a HOJO being moderately priced but clean.

What was the year those reviews were written?  I could swear the HOJOs was totally remodeled.  If it is the one close to the Kohl Center, it definitely has been improved.
Anyone else been there? Staying there? It's about 5 miles east of race start

2012-08-30 2:56 PM

bigpaps - 2012-08-30 11:23 AM

Between Cross Plains are three tough hills that are good for watching.  Parking is on side roads (not on the race course), so if you want to watch there, get there immediately after the swim.  The north end of Timber Ln. is a favorite.  Watching in Verona is always a good option, and there are things for kids to do by the Middle School and church (by the water station).  For the run, State St. is good because you can walk back and forth a few blocks and see your athlete multiple times (plus, State St. has six blocks of bars, restaurants and shopping).

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 45