BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-06-12 5:09 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Originally posted by wannabefaster

OK - on to today's question: I know we discussed wetsuits and trisuits a bit (but honestly I couldn't find it when I tried to go back some pages) so here's my question: I have a sleeveless wetsuit I plan to use until the water gets to 78 degrees. After that, then what? I think I'd like to have something. I've seen people wearing what I think are "swimskins" in some events and have their tri shorts/top on underneath. I know we've also discussed the idea of wearing a one piece for the whole event - however I think I really want to have the 2 piece thing going on "just in case" but I'll need the one piece advantage in the water - does all my rambling make sense? So is a tri suit the same as a swimskin or speed suit? Seems every mfgr has their own name - and also, what is USAT legal?

THANKS!!

USAT legal and WTC legal are not necessarily the same thing.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/04/news/ironman-announces-chan...

http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/rulebook/approved-skin...

The second link has a list of USAT legal swim skins. The first is a triathlete magazine article about WTC changes requiring all swimskins be textile only, no neoprene/rubber on the outside of the suit.

I have a swimskin that I use in non wetsuit legal races. It is by DeSoto and is essentially a one piece trisuit with the DeSoto float pad in it. You could wear it as your outfit for the whole triathlon but I choose to wear it over the top of my race gear and take it off in T1. Two things about swim skins. One, it should be super tight. It is the compression/tightness that makes it effective--like all of the swimmers were wearing at the Olympics a couple years ago. Two, it should also be hydrophobic so it 'slips' through the water.

Here is a link to a ST test of the HUUB swim skin:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Wetsuit_by_brand/HUUB/HUUB_SKN-1...

It essentially shows that the swim skin is good for a couple seconds/100.

I know that I feel faster in my swim skin. I wish I would have bought it a size smaller. Even at its current size, it is tight enough that I wouldn't want to wear it for a whole race, probably even a sprint.

Exactly what I was looking for - thanks!

2013-06-12 5:36 AM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Rachel - nice job considering all the things working against you (new equipment, rough swim start, almost losing your shoes )

Well my first tri is in the bag. RR here http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
I panicked on the swim - no idea what happened but I was able to recover. **FRUSTRTATED** Oh well. There's always next week to get it back!

Have a good Wednesday all!
2013-06-12 5:39 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by glfprncs Well done Rachel!! Before I head out into the land of hot and humid for a run (and 'recovery swim' LOL), I have a cycling question for those of you far more knowledgeable than I. Let me preface this by saying I have only been riding my bike since early March. Seriously...the last time I rode a bike was when I was in college, and it was a cheap mountain bike designed to get me from class to class. I have never in my life done any extended rides or ever been serious at all about riding a bike. I purchased a bike (a leftover 2010 Felt B16) at my local bike shop. I was fitted by the owner who is well respected by the tri community in my area. At first, I was having horrible pain while riding. Alas, we (myself and LBS owner/fitter), had to determine if my issue was from lack of time in the saddle (probably) or the saddle and my anatomy. Long story short, I gave it two months of regular riding in the stock saddle and was experiencing such horrible chafing, swelling and tearing of my soft tissue that we then went back to the drawing board with saddles. We spent a LOT of time trying different things. The saddle that made my nether regions breathe a sigh of relief was the Bontrager Hilo RXL (not the adjustable nose one). I've been riding in this saddle for just over a month now. I've been getting one longer ride in each week (30+ miles) plus two shorter rides (either on the trainer or another hour) based on my training plan. I'm not having the soft tissue pain I had before (thank goodness!), but the new issue is uncomfortable pressure on my pelvic bones (not my sitz bones). I'm speaking of the bony areas that are to the left and right of my privates just between my thighs (sorry, I don't know the proper medical term for it all and I'm trying to be politically correct here!). It's not unbearable...it's just uncomfortable; moreso when I've been on my aerobars. I do find, once I've ridden for about 30 minutes, that I find a 'sweet spot' in the saddle (either that or I just numb my brain to the discomfort!). I am a bit on the pudgy side, so I'm sure if I cut weight, it would help tremendously. My question is whether this is just one of those 'new to cycling' breaking in periods, or if I need to go back to the drawing board and adjust my fit on the bike. I'm currently set up in a pretty conservative position...since I was new to the bike, we felt that having me ride a little more upright at first and then dropping me as I built miles in the saddle would be beneficial. Again, I've literally been riding my bike since March 11th and ride 3 days/week. I wear Sugoi RS cycling shorts and use chamois cream. I've also ridden a few times in my tri shorts, wondering if too much padding could be the culprit. After those rides, I've wondered how I'll ever ride HIM distance in tri shorts!!!!! Thoughts? Suggestions?
So many variables and moving parts. I wouldn't think it would be the shorts. And if you are riding 3 days a week your squishy parts should be used to it by now. I would probably go back to the saddle again. Have you tried one of the noseless saddles like the adamos? Did you have your sit bones measured? The Bontrager saddles do come in different widths. Sorry I can't be more help. on another note, I have my first tri tonight. It's offroad and it's been raining for a few days and the forecast for tonight is thunderstorms. I've been told it does not get cancelled so I'm most nervous about the trails being a mud pit. Wish me luck! LOL

It's not normal to have discomfort.  I had a similar issue (sides of my hoo-haa) two years ago and I had been riding for a couple of years at that point.  I was using my SEVEN with clip ons and started riding much more in aero.  It changed the position of my "stuff".  I went in search of a new saddle and I tested several before landing on the SMP Lite 209 which has a cut out.  It was much thinner and less padded than the Terry Butterfly I was using.  I've never looked back.  My advice is test saddles on a trainer to eliminate the no-ways and then take the one you think you like out for a few rides before buying it.  Your LBS should be willing to do that since you bought the bike there.

2013-06-12 6:03 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning all! Sorry I've been scarce the last few days. Visiting family and friends in Virginia before beginning the drive home tomorrow. Zero training since the race Sunday but I did spend most of the day yesterday jet skiing with my buddies. Kind of like exercise . May try to get a short easy run in this afternoon.

Rachel/Randee-enjoyed the race reports.  I know I'm past due on posting mine from Eagleman.

Nancy-I do think shorts can make a difference. I have a pair or two with thicker foam padding and really don't like them. I don't think the extra padding really provides much cushioning and I am much more comfortable in a really thin padded short. On the saddles there are so many options and no single saddle is the answer for everyone. I use a Cobb saddle and they will allow returns within 6 months if it doesn't work for you.

2013-06-12 8:01 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
I got my hour swim in before work. Watch out for that weather heading into the midwest and east coast guys.
2013-06-12 10:30 AM
in reply to: dacuna01

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I am on a two day training hiatus because I was so beaten up after the last weekend of training. The first day was great. Today I am starting to get a little 'itchy'.

I get to pick my bike up from the shop today. I think I will do a trial disassembly and packing for next weekend's trip to Montreal. I have never flown with my bike before and I am curious as to how it will go. Anyone else flown with their bike?

A guy who goes by the handle, DCRainmaker, has a blog where he gives a lot of tips on traveling with a bike. I think I will reread it before I go. It is a pretty good blog with lots of training and equipment tips for those who are interested.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com

2013-06-12 12:34 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

A guy who goes by the handle, DCRainmaker, has a blog where he gives a lot of tips on traveling with a bike. I think I will reread it before I go. It is a pretty good blog with lots of training and equipment tips for those who are interested.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com

I love him!
2013-06-12 4:21 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I just picked my bike up from the shop. I put on the whole race kit (including aero helmet--what a dork) and did a couple miles. Bike feels good. I feel better. I am getting excited to finally race in 11 days....

Word on the street is that Jim's bike is really nice and fits him perfectly. We bought our bikes from the same shop and their ace-fitter was really happy with how he looked on the bike. Jim, we are waiting for a report on the new ride.
2013-06-12 9:10 PM

User image

Expert

Jason - first I'm sorry we never got to meet up. I had a rare opportunity to leave work with enough time to get to the shop for the final fitting (2 hour drive).

So Jess made some final tweeks to my fit and she seemed very excited about her work. The angles, my flat back in aero, etc. I am in awe how sweet the Shiv looks!!!!

I went on my first ride today, 50 miles. I wanted to go 60 but the rain came down hard (yes, virgin ride with pouring rain for the last 30 minutes - hopefully it's a good luck sign!). From the get go I was very impressed with how solid the bike felt. No squeeks, rubs, etc. Very quiet, so much so that I could really appreciate the sound of my trispokes. I was comfortable the entire ride. The SRAM shifting is very responsive. She set me up with an Adamo Prologue saddle. No numb male parts or chafing. So far so good. The set up on the bike has my seat much higher than I've ever done. This will take a bit to get used to but I can already feel more power in my stroke (although it's perceived as I do not have a power meter).

Today's ride was gentle rollers. I plan to get out to hills this weekend and see how well the set works for climbing. I will try to get a picture uploaded for all to enjoy!!

Jim
2013-06-13 7:02 AM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Jim...sounds like a perfect fit! Enjoy every. single. mile.

2013-06-13 8:45 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
My bike is disassembled and in the soft-sided bike bag. I padded the heck out of it. Wrapped everything in cardboard or soft tubing. Even put extra sheets of cardboard on the outside of the bag to further protect things. It fits just fine and doesn't weigh that much but it doesn't really feel like it protects the bike all that well. I am beginning to regret the decision to go with a soft bike bag instead of the hard sided one. I have read the DCRainmaker blog where he says he has flown over and over with this bag with no issues but I am nervous about trusting my bike to baggage handlers in this bag. I may have to go with it and just trust that it will get there.

2013-06-13 12:46 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jimmyb

So Jess made some final tweeks to my fit and she seemed very excited about her work. The angles, my flat back in aero, etc. I am in awe how sweet the Shiv looks!!!!

new bikes make me giddy! ENJOY!!

I have a very important question - Clearly, I need a transition bag that can hold all my stuff including my wetsuit. I have it narrowed down to two (btw, this is the last thing I want to spend money on so suggestions other than these two are wecome!):
Blue Seventy http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Seventy-Large-Transition-Bag/dp/B003LY9B...
De Soto http://www.amazon.com/De-Soto-Transition-Pack-Black/dp/B009ZHPJRI/r...

thanks! And keep in mind, I'm 5'2" so all my stuff is proportionally small
2013-06-13 12:52 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

I have a very important question - Clearly, I need a transition bag that can hold all my stuff including my wetsuit. I have it narrowed down to two (btw, this is the last thing I want to spend money on so suggestions other than these two are wecome!):
Blue Seventy http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Seventy-Large-Transition-Bag/dp/B003LY9B...
De Soto http://www.amazon.com/De-Soto-Transition-Pack-Black/dp/B009ZHPJRI/r...

thanks! And keep in mind, I'm 5'2" so all my stuff is proportionally small

I have a Jansport duffel bag that cost about $12 that has served me very well for most races. It holds everything I need and when everything is out of it it rolls up to almost nothing. I have looked at nice transition bags over the years and have never wanted to spend the money.

WTC has been giving out a transition-style bag to most racers at IM events so I got one last year. I may give it a try but I don't think I would have paid (extra) to get the bag.
2013-06-13 12:57 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I have a Jansport duffel bag that cost about $12 that has served me very well for most races. It holds everything I need and when everything is out of it it rolls up to almost nothing. I have looked at nice transition bags over the years and have never wanted to spend the money.

WTC has been giving out a transition-style bag to most racers at IM events so I got one last year. I may give it a try but I don't think I would have paid (extra) to get the bag.

I find it awkward to carry a duffel bag and my bike so I'm really looking for a backpack type - but I'm open to NON transition style backpacks....
2013-06-13 1:46 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by wannabefaster I have a Jansport duffel bag that cost about $12 that has served me very well for most races. It holds everything I need and when everything is out of it it rolls up to almost nothing. I have looked at nice transition bags over the years and have never wanted to spend the money. WTC has been giving out a transition-style bag to most racers at IM events so I got one last year. I may give it a try but I don't think I would have paid (extra) to get the bag.
I find it awkward to carry a duffel bag and my bike so I'm really looking for a backpack type - but I'm open to NON transition style backpacks....

I have a Desoto that I like quite a bit.  It has a separate area at the bottom that is plastic for your wetsuit once it's wet. Also has a couple of zipper compartments for various do-das and a clip for your helmet.  It is big on me, but I think it would be a good backpack for someone of normal size.

2013-06-13 3:06 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Hiya,
I have been reading the posts in the evenings but something always seem to happen when I'm about to post... Holidays... (I'm off work this week but actually feel like I've been busier than when I'm at work, go figure). It seems everyone is getting great results on races Well done!

So just a quick update on my training: managed to do both the bike ride (23 miles) and a 4 mile run when I was away. Done my first ever OWS on a lake which wasn't too bad, generally speaking, but I def need to sort my goggles out as they kept fogging up and I'll probably also need to wear contacts to actually see where I'm going, but all in all the first attempt was promising. Have slipped a bit with the bike since the weekend and ended up doing more runs, which is also making me stiffer, but def going out on the bike tomorrow for a shortish session and again on sunday for a longer ride.
My next sprint is the following weekend (23rd), I'm really looking forward to it and hoping to notice some progress from the last one.

Question: I know it might sound strange, but does anyone else find they run faster after a bike ride than on stand alone runs? I'm finding the overall effort more taxing after the bike but much much easier to keep my legs moving at a faster pace. I'm thinking it's probably because it's like a 'warm up'...

2013-06-13 6:46 PM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Veteran
Denton

Question: I know it might sound strange, but does anyone else find they run faster after a bike ride than on stand alone runs? I'm finding the overall effort more taxing after the bike but much much easier to keep my legs moving at a faster pace. I'm thinking it's probably because it's like a 'warm up'...

I couldn't agree more! I was just talking about that with a friend of mine and we both agreed that it probably has something to do with the legs being warmed up already. On standalone runs I warm up but I don't think I get the same warm up in that I get in the first two legs of the Triathlon. Thanks for posting this because at first I thought I was crazy when thinking that. 

In other news. I have been hit with some kind of viral infection that is really hurting my throat and I am feeling really weak. I went to the doctor and confirmed its not strep. I missed out on two really great training days this week due to it and I hope I can pick it back up again tomorrow. 

15 minutes and Generation UCAN is providing a free webinar "UCAN Triathlon Tips - Learn From the Pros" 

2013-06-13 7:19 PM
in reply to: tatous

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
YES to the faster pace when running after the bike. I find that I'm at a good 45-60 second faster pace then normal, and have to make a true effort to slowdown. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that your legs just came off a certain cadence for an extended period of time, and they just sort of want to keep that cadence.

About transition bags....when you're set up in transition, what do you do with the bag? Roll it up and stuff it by your gear or take it back to the car? For those of you who go solo, what do you do with your keys? Do most tris have a bag check like running races? The last thing I want is for someone to accidently grab something with my keys in it. Also....in rain, what works best to keep stuff dry until you get it on? Can you bring a bucket and turn it upside down over top of your shoes and socks (would also make a good sock.putting on seat!). Lots.of questions for next week.
2013-06-13 8:18 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

What a day...drove almost 1000 miles from Virginia to home in Fairhope, Alabama. Got a really early start. Great to get home but I am beat.

Transition bag-I have a Desoto as well. Have had it since my first tri. I will just put mine in the space under my rear wheel or somewhere out of the way after setting up transition. It seems like with most races its a pretty good hike to the car from transition. I'm trying to get better about how much stuff I take to races.....the Desoto bag holds alot of stuff and has a nice compartment for a wetsuit.

No workouts since my race Sunday but I'm going to run tomorrow and get an easy bike ride in as well. Time to map out the rest of the year so I can get refocused!

Anyone racing this weekend?

2013-06-13 9:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Second ride on my new Shiv, 48 miles. Today I took it to the hills and was fairly pleased. I wanted to ride another hour some friends called me for dinner. Anyway, I am going to attempt to upload a picture of my new bike. If it doesn't come up, I will have to ask my son to do it next week when he comes back from San Diego. I did not properly pose this bike according to BT/ST protocol, but her you go.

Edited by jimmyb 2013-06-13 9:40 PM

(IMG_0458.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0458.jpg (39KB - 10 downloads)
2013-06-13 9:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

About transition bags....when you're set up in transition, what do you do with the bag? Roll it up and stuff it by your gear or take it back to the car? For those of you who go solo, what do you do with your keys? Do most tris have a bag check like running races? The last thing I want is for someone to accidently grab something with my keys in it. Also....in rain, what works best to keep stuff dry until you get it on? Can you bring a bucket and turn it upside down over top of your shoes and socks (would also make a good sock.putting on seat!). Lots.of questions for next week.

I am using a duffel bag as my transition bag. I empty the bag out fold it and put a towel over it. Then I lay my tri gear on top of that towel. I leave my keys in the bag under the towel. I always bring a small orange soccer cone with me to mark my transition rack. In one of the triathlons I did last year I came out of the water disoriented and it took me forever to find my bike. I have also seen a lot of people bring a bucket and the way you described it is how they are using it. When I go to a race where there is a chance of rain I bring 5-10 big black garbage bags with me. All my clothes and valuables go in the garbage bags to keep them somewhat dry.

I hope this helps. Here are two links that some of the local race guys put on youtube about transitions. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym97BL7yeRE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1g0TUJhe0k

2013-06-13 9:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Originally posted by jimmyb Second ride on my new Shiv, 48 miles. Today I took it to the hills and was fairly pleased. I wanted to ride another hour some friends called me for dinner. Anyway, I am going to attempt to upload a picture of my new bike. If it doesn't come up, I will have to ask my son to do it next week when he comes back from San Diego. I did not properly pose this bike according to BT/ST protocol, but her you go.

That is one sweet looking ride ..... 

2013-06-13 11:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Calgary, AB
Originally posted by slornow

Anyone racing this weekend?

Oooh oooh oooh Mr. Kotter!!

Saturday morning, I'm doing my first Oly.  Wish me luck!

Anybody got any inspirational (or funny) "first time at a new distance" stories?

Edited by Hoos 2013-06-13 11:39 PM
2013-06-14 6:05 AM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Champion

Well, it's not a race, but I am doing the Horribly Hilly Hundreds this weekend for the first time.  Normally I don't tackle terrain like this until later in the season, but on the spur of the moment I entered the lottery and got in so off I go.  Goal is to make it up Blue Mounds without walking, swearing or crying.  I did a double on it last year so hopefully I still have it in me!

2013-06-14 6:06 AM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Veteran
Denton

Just enjoy the fun! I think Olympic distance is a blast. Have a great race!

"I did the best I could do today. I will try to make my tomorrow best even better!"

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88