General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-05-08 8:05 PM
in reply to: #4993726

User image

Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
You okay from the fall?

2014-05-08 8:15 PM
in reply to: #4993744

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Luckily I didn't fall... I managed to stay on 2 wheels, but ended up in a ditch.
2014-05-09 7:59 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by luvschips IN SEARCH OF THE PERFECT GOGGLES.. Any recommendations? I think I have asked this q many times and haven't been too successful. I have tried 3 so far and am not thrilled with any of them. I teven tried those big ones that look like a divers mask (not very comfy). The best has been the Nestor by TYR. My issue looking like a raccoon for the entire day after I swim. I am 49 and the skin just won't go back. It's getting worse because my swims are longer now (60 minutes). BTW- did a 10k fun run and had to walk after mile 2. Last week I did 15 miles and this week I can't even do two. Feeling a bit frustrated...(thanks for letting me rant. Donna

Donna,

I don't know where you live, but I drove an hour plus to get decent goggles.  I found a swimming store, similar to finding an actual running shoe store.  The lady that owned the place has a display model of everything she carries, but looking at my face, she gave me 4 goggles and told me to put them on my face, without putting the strap on the back of my head.  We tried all four and they were ok.  I wanted to try something else and she gave it to me and said try the same thing and they fell off right away.  She offered to let me put on every goggle in her store until we found the right one.  I ended up with one of the first 4, and one of the 2 that she thought would fit best.  And she narrowed it down really well.  I would suggest you find a place like that somewhere near you and ask in advance if it is a long drive.

2014-05-10 12:15 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Originally posted by flip18436572

Originally posted by luvschips IN SEARCH OF THE PERFECT GOGGLES.. Any recommendations? I think I have asked this q many times and haven't been too successful. I have tried 3 so far and am not thrilled with any of them. I teven tried those big ones that look like a divers mask (not very comfy). The best has been the Nestor by TYR. My issue looking like a raccoon for the entire day after I swim. I am 49 and the skin just won't go back. It's getting worse because my swims are longer now (60 minutes). BTW- did a 10k fun run and had to walk after mile 2. Last week I did 15 miles and this week I can't even do two. Feeling a bit frustrated...(thanks for letting me rant. Donna

Donna,

I don't know where you live, but I drove an hour plus to get decent goggles.  I found a swimming store, similar to finding an actual running shoe store.  The lady that owned the place has a display model of everything she carries, but looking at my face, she gave me 4 goggles and told me to put them on my face, without putting the strap on the back of my head.  We tried all four and they were ok.  I wanted to try something else and she gave it to me and said try the same thing and they fell off right away.  She offered to let me put on every goggle in her store until we found the right one.  I ended up with one of the first 4, and one of the 2 that she thought would fit best.  And she narrowed it down really well.  I would suggest you find a place like that somewhere near you and ask in advance if it is a long drive.

Thank you very much! I didn't even think they had these stores but found one about 30 minutes away.

Donna
2014-05-10 8:12 PM

User image

anyone racing this weekend? Lets hear it?
  • Nothing for me this weekend - daddy weekend w\ the kiddos.
    strength training and 3 miles for me today.

2014-05-11 8:08 AM
    in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Originally posted by Clarkey77

anyone racing this weekend? Lets hear it?
  • Nothing for me this weekend - daddy weekend w\ the kiddos.
    strength training and 3 miles for me today.

I won't be playing until next weekend. My mentor ran the Gulf Coast HIM yesterday, but no solid details yet. Did hear rumors that the swim leg was cancelled?

2014-05-11 9:43 PM
    in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Regular
    Florence, Arizona
    Silver member

No races for me this weekend but I did do a marathon gardening session at the farm this weekend! Got back to the city, went straight downstairs to the treadmill. I hafta say it was one of those rare rare rare times where I wish I had stayed on it longer. Gotta do the running in small doses though until the achilles feels stronger.

It was a good week, got 5 good workouts in. A friend of mine is doing a half ironman in Arizona next April....very tempting...very....

2014-05-12 7:42 AM

User image

I did find out that the swim leg of the Gulf Coast HIM was indeed cencelled due to unsafe water conditions. Not sharks, hehe, just extrememly choppy water. Apparently it was so bad the Pro-level athletes agreed with the decision.

I'm taking it a little easy this week. I really don't want to get hurt, again, just before the race. I'm going through my transition routines, stretching and making sure my equipment is in working order.

I attempted a 13bike/3run brick on saturday. A flat tire put me off the bike at 3.7miles. Since I bike in my running shoes, I had a :30 transitition (yay!) to a 2.3 mile run home, lol! That night the wife and I had My Birthday/Mother's Day date night and while we were out I picked up a couple spares and a bike pump... Sunday was a rest day. We took my mom to a new BBQ place last night (this will come into play in juuuuust a sec...) for Mother's day. It was pretty bad, and has been playing havoc with me since... And I just had a grilled chicken salad (that came with pork...). FF to the swim this morning. I swam 100 to warm up, 600 (15:00ish), kick drill 50x2, 150.... then had to exit the pool post haste and my morning was done... Still feeling extremely "ewww" for lack of a better term. At least I got a good 600 in.

5 DAYS until I drown, crash or trip! YAY!
    2014-05-12 12:13 PM

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

Hey folks. I have been absent here for a variety of work/life reasons. Catching up. I have been gone long enough that WFF hurt and healed that foot! Glad it is better in time! 

Welcome Helen! 

I have had to come to the realization that I cannot do my tri this coming weekend. I am bummed. My foot is not healed up enough and I am not nearly as fast as WFF on the bike to make up for the walk I would have to do. I REALLY want to do this race. It is an olympic distance point-to-point race that has intrigued me for years. I wallowed in self-pity for a bit, now I am better and going to get in the best shape physically and training-wise for the NYCtri this summer.

I have a re-started training plan and some added strength training. (I am sure there is a core in there somewhere under the protective layer). I started both today. Kick me if I falter. Hard!

2014-05-12 9:05 PM
    in reply to: ceilidh

User image

sorry Robin
    Is that the NYC OLY on 8-3?
    I will be down there cheering my brother on!

Let me know your number and Ill cheer you on too!

• For me today.
    Did a little speed session - for me!
    1 mile at 8.5 mins (yeah, that's blazing for me!) couldn't do that a few months ago!
    1 mile at 9.5 mins - at the turn around I walked for about 10-20 sec - could have trimmed some time.
    1 mile at 12 min - 30 sec walk, 50 yd sprint (two telephone poles - walk 1 telephone pole)

felt pretty good about it even though I would have liked to have gone farther.
    2014-05-12 9:37 PM

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

Originally posted by Clarkey77 sorry Robin Is that the NYC OLY on 8-3? I will be down there cheering my brother on! Let me know your number and Ill cheer you on too! ... For me today. Did a little speed session - for me! 1 mile at 8.5 mins (yeah, that's blazing for me!) couldn't do that a few months ago! 1 mile at 9.5 mins - at the turn around I walked for about 10-20 sec - could have trimmed some time. 1 mile at 12 min - 30 sec walk, 50 yd sprint (two telephone poles - walk 1 telephone pole) felt pretty good about it even though I would have liked to have gone farther.

Yes it is. I will let you know my number as soon as I know it. It is a fun race. Last year it was my first oly ever! Cheer me and I'll treat you to beverages of your choice after!

I would pay do do any of those mile times. Maybe speedwork should be part of my plan.

2014-05-13 7:00 AM

User image

Master
    Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by luvschips
    Originally posted by flip18436572

Donna,

Thank you very much! I didn't even think they had these stores but found one about 30 minutes away. Donna

Did you find something that worked?  Usually the store owner knows so much more than we even think about and makes our selection so much easier.

2014-05-13 7:48 PM
    in reply to: flip18436572

Well less than 3 months now until the 1st Sprint Tri - Training has been Ok, bought membership at area fitness center that has 5 locations w/ pools, and am now/will be getting 2-3 in sessions during the week, trying to follow the 0 to 1mile program, as there are so many out there, I figured I'd give this one a shot, it was day 1 of the program as spent the first 2 times just getting "reacclimated" to the water, but happy so far with everything starting to come back to me. Running 3-4 days a week, and completed my first 10k on Saturday in 1:00:22 sec, wanted to finsih under 1hr, but not totally wasted about it as it was a very hilly couse. Was out on the bike 2x a week including 1 brick a week, but bike is down until get broken spoke fixed by the end of the week... Starting to get excited, and anxious about the race, will have a local warm up tri July 4th, with a kayak/bike/run course.
    Next up is trying to find Tri shorts/top to start trying out...Any suggestions for brands? I'm 6' and currently 268lbs....looking for a "relaxed" fit type top..

Thanks for all the advice, and getting alot, just reading everybody's posts!
    2014-05-14 6:39 AM
    in reply to: Happygilmore

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

Originally posted by Happygilmore Well less than 3 months now until the 1st Sprint Tri - Training has been Ok, bought membership at area fitness center that has 5 locations w/ pools, and am now/will be getting 2-3 in sessions during the week, trying to follow the 0 to 1mile program, as there are so many out there, I figured I'd give this one a shot, it was day 1 of the program as spent the first 2 times just getting "reacclimated" to the water, but happy so far with everything starting to come back to me. Running 3-4 days a week, and completed my first 10k on Saturday in 1:00:22 sec, wanted to finsih under 1hr, but not totally wasted about it as it was a very hilly couse. Was out on the bike 2x a week including 1 brick a week, but bike is down until get broken spoke fixed by the end of the week... Starting to get excited, and anxious about the race, will have a local warm up tri July 4th, with a kayak/bike/run course. Next up is trying to find Tri shorts/top to start trying out...Any suggestions for brands? I'm 6' and currently 268lbs....looking for a "relaxed" fit type top.. Thanks for all the advice, and getting alot, just reading everybody's posts!

Sounds like you have a great plan. I can't help on the shorts, sorry.

Where are you? We have a kayak,/bike/run tri here near Asheville, NC.

2014-05-14 9:32 PM
    in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by Clarkey77 sorry Robin Is that the NYC OLY on 8-3? I will be down there cheering my brother on! Let me know your number and Ill cheer you on too! ... For me today. Did a little speed session - for me! 1 mile at 8.5 mins (yeah, that's blazing for me!) couldn't do that a few months ago! 1 mile at 9.5 mins - at the turn around I walked for about 10-20 sec - could have trimmed some time. 1 mile at 12 min - 30 sec walk, 50 yd sprint (two telephone poles - walk 1 telephone pole) felt pretty good about it even though I would have liked to have gone farther.

Yes it is. I will let you know my number as soon as I know it. It is a fun race. Last year it was my first oly ever! Cheer me and I'll treat you to beverages of your choice after!

I would pay do do any of those mile times. Maybe speedwork should be part of my plan.

it was part of the plan here and all the videos I have watched and articles I have read suggest mixing in speed workouts once a week or more frequently.
    2014-05-14 11:22 PM

User image

Originally posted by WebFootFreak

I'm just a little mad right now.

Got to the group ride and we take off. About 2 miles in, I'm 100yds behind in 46/12(my highest gear), in the drops and spinning so fast I was bouncing in the saddle. Next thing I know, my chain comes flying off and I'm in a ditch while everyone else turns the corner and is gone. I'm mad because this is a "no drop" ride, and the ride leader knows I'm a 16mph rider. I checked my stats and I was doing over 20!!! When I lost my chain Strava says I was doing 25...

This may very well be the butthurt speaking, but I noted that I was the only one in a T-shirt, flat pedals and on a sub $1G bike... waaaaaaaay sub, lol!

I wish I was a 16 mph rider so you would leave me in the ditch :-)

Sorry for the bad experience. For me, this is more about the challenge and fun of it.

2014-05-14 11:27 PM

User image

I am so proud of myself!

I have spent the last year on a quest to be a confident swimmer. I started not being able to 1 lap without gasping for breath. Well, this last Sunday I did .75 mile IN THE LAKE!!! No stopping or panic attack. Just relaxed and swam the entire time. I felt so confident!

Just don't ask me how long it took me, lol.

Marathon training really picking up....I am one tired old broad.

Have a great day everyone!
    2014-05-15 9:15 AM
    in reply to: #4993754

User image

Happygilmore: apparently we think alike, because you're doing pretty much the same routine I am. Its worked for me pretty well too!

luvschips: yeah.. I got a pretty snarkey "apology" too... oh well... my goal now is to leave them in the dust

_-----------------------------

Had a nice slow, short run Tues night. No pain, plenty of sweat and a general feeling of all being right in the world... except for the news I got in the middle of it, but we will cross that bridge when needed.

Planned to bike to a friend's place, walk a couple miles and bike home last night. Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate and I had to drive. Since he's recovering from an arch injury, we took it sloooooow. Then bad part is that the injury was reaggravated (blistering on fallen arch). I honestly think its his shoes... we will see.

On tap for tonight and tomorrow is yoga and stretching, getting my equipment together And heading to Harrah's Tunica tomorrow afternoon. My biggest worry is the low of 50 tomorrow night and no wetsuit.
    2014-05-16 10:49 AM

New Westminster, British Columbia
    Hi all... hoping I can join in?

NAME / username: Sarah

STORY: I'm 29 and live in BC, and I'm a geologist, so as a scientist I love data and research and this site is my kind of site! I've always been really unathletic and slow and gained a ton of weight during school which I haven't been able to get rid of. I just had a wiggly baby boy (3.5 months old) and my pregnancy was totally miserable - morning sick for 7 months, gestational diabetes, awful back pain. I actually lost 25 lbs over the pregnancy but I also lost tons of strength and fitness. I have a coworker who does triathlons and I'd thought "that would be fun" while she talked about training in the past. Well, I'm just so excited to have my body back and feeling better as a result of the first 25 lbs gone, I decided it was time to go for it.

Training: I did synchronized swimming for several years as a kid and I have my NLS certificate (lifeguarding), and I did the length swim for those levels in the very wavy Georgian Bay on Lake Huron. plus I was probably a fish in a past life and love being in any and all water, so I'm not too concerned about the swim. I plan to join the local Masters club as soon as I can squeeze into my swimsuits again. I ran a bit in university for weight loss so I have a tiny bit of knowledge there and I'm currently working on a couch to 5k run/walk plan, and will ramp up to 10k in about 9 weeks. The cycling I'm pretty worried about - I've never gotten on a road bike in my life, I've only had mountain bikes. I do have some cycling enthusiast friends who've offered to go on rides with me and help me find a decent used road bike (I don't have any bike right now.) Also working with a personal trainer to help me get some core strength back.

I gave myself until 2015 to actually do a triathlon because I feet so wrecked by pregnancy and I still have a bunch of weight to lose.

WEIGHTLOSS: 197 lbs and 42% body fat... erp I'm not really focused on the #s, I care about the body fat and making sure I eat well so that I feel good for training. Currently counting calories with MFP and aiming for 1600/day while working out 5-6x/week (my partner and I go hiking most weekends.)
    2014-05-17 7:49 PM

User image

Originally posted by luvschips

I am one tired broad.

Donna, - Fixed that one for ya!

• Sarah - welcome aboard! Youll find that this group is very supportive! - I definitely did, and Im fairly new to this crew.
    2014-05-18 2:39 PM

User image

it was ugly... BUT I MADE IT!!!!!

Memphis in May Sprint
    440yd swim - 13:04.7 (3:15/100)
    T1 - 4:28.7
    12mi bike - 49:04.8 (14.67mph)
    T2 - 2:10.6
    3.1 Run - 42:59.8 (14:19/mi)

Overall: 1:51:48.9 Raced as a Clyde: 11/22. AG would have been 43/57. I finished after 387/617 on the overall list (Clydes/Athenas are seperate?)

This race did not go as planned... but I didn't expect it to, lol! Race start was 50F and raining, so I was standing there in my shorts shivering my butt off. TT start every :03, so I had my goggles on my head, and forgot to PUT THEM ON! I dove in the water, felt something smack my nose and wondered why everything was so murky... yeah... Had to stop to put on my goggles, got them upside down and had to do it again! Once I got going it wasn't bad. My pace was okay, my sighting was okay and the couple of kicks I took to the head didn't slow me down either. Overall, slower than I hoped, but I also realize that swimming laps allows me to push off the sides when I change direction... need to stop that. T1 was slow because of the mud, and I kept my top packed and out of the rain. Easier to put on a dry shirt than a wet one. Also I put my running shoes on as I am still on flat pedals. The bike felt good. I had a tailwind that I failed to take advantage of, but I keep reeling in riders and that kept me going. I did hit a good headwind on 1 leg of the loop, but I geared down and spun my butt off. Getting passed like I was standing still by 15yr olds was kind of weird tho, hehehe. T2 was another run through the mud. My gloves slowed me down, but not much. Dropped my helmet, grabbed a last swig of water and a GU and took off.... and crashed. . All the issues I've been having with my right soleus hit me on the run. I limped most of the way and ran when I could. the most depressing part is that I NEVER GOT OUT OF BREATH... my running was 100% impacted by my (bleeeeep) leg! I managed to gimp across the finish line, and pretty much fell over in pain. After all this, the main point is that I finished. I did not quit. I want to do this again!!!

Going to set up an appt to get my leg checked out and see what can be done about it. I'm glad that today is a built-in rest day because I feel like I've been run over by a truck (physicall and emotionally). I will be back at the Y tomorrow morning before work getting ready for the next one! The goal this year was to make it in under 2hrs and before they cut the clocks... Next year I want to finish in under 1:30:00.

2014-05-18 6:53 PM

User image

CONGRADULATIONS TRIATHLETE!
    2014-05-19 8:00 AM

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

. After all this, the main point is that I finished. I did not quit. I want to do this again!!! Going to set up an appt to get my leg checked out and see what can be done about it. I'm glad that today is a built-in rest day because I feel like I've been run over by a truck (physicall and emotionally). I will be back at the Y tomorrow morning before work getting ready for the next one! The goal this year was to make it in under 2hrs and before they cut the clocks... Next year I want to finish in under 1:30:00.

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY! I am sorry it hurt to run, but look at you.... you are a TRIATHLETE!

2014-05-19 3:04 PM

User image

Master
    Southwest Iowa

Awesome job of completing your triathlon!!!  Others may have quit, yet you kept going.  That makes it all the better in my mind.  I only cramped on my first triathlon about 200 yards into my run and if I pushed it I cramped again.  Nothing compared to your pain!!!!!  Great job!!!!!!!

2014-05-20 9:14 AM

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois
    Undertrained and now I had a back ache that been killing me for a week. 4 weeks only my oly triathlon. With not a lot of training, a hellish bike course I am not sure if I am going to even attempt it.

frustrating but injuries do happen. thinking maybe I need to not worry about the race anymore and just worry on recovery and weight lose. I still have plenty of time for my fall race.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
    Views: 28164 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
    Views: 100353 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
    Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : August 26, 2011
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 1
    Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
    author : acbadger
    comments : 0
    Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
    date : March 21, 2007
    author : acbadger
    comments : 2
    Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
    author : Ontherun
    For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
    date : November 27, 2005
    author : Rich Strauss
    Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
    author : JeremyLikness
    comments : 9
    Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
    date : September 19, 2004
    author : Michael
    I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
    author : Ron
    What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?