Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 42

2007-09-07 10:24 AM
in reply to: #804244

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: triOK's Group - CLOSED
I'm racing the Patriot Half Ironman tomorrow.  It'll be the first time I've gone Head to Head with my Training Partner.  I hope I survive!

2007-09-07 11:36 AM
in reply to: #955275

User image

Expert

Aaron is racing for our esteemed department in a law enforcement tri. They better win too!!!

2007-09-07 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Good luck to everyone this weekend!  If I happen across a free entry to the race nearest me (which I am looking for....) I will race, otherwise will wait until the 23rd.  Can't wait to read all the race reports!!!
2007-09-07 4:09 PM
in reply to: #955257

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

erhoffma - 2007-09-07 10:17 AM Who's racing this weekend? I AM!!! Anyone else??? I'm super nervous, but soo excited too!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

And good luck to everyone else who is racing this weekend. Looking forward to the race reports for inspiration. I have a tri next weekend....I may actually be more nervous for this one than I was for my first one.

Edited by kriscrn 2007-09-07 4:10 PM
2007-09-07 4:17 PM

User image

Good luck everyone.. I'm looking forward to your HIM race report Dan! Especially since my season isn't quite over yet. I have my first HIM Sept 30. At least the weather should be cool.

Oh, I'm also doing a marathon (my 3rd) in Jan. Doing Disney again this year. Last year my wife and I did it with TNT (avatar). Wasn't really planning on it this year, but a bunch of family and friends are either also doing it, or at least going down there so here I go again.

My plan is to crawl though this HIM in Sept, then pick up a 16 week marathon program (maybe Hal Higdon - his plans have gotten me through many races), and on the cross/train days, or even "short run" days, I planned to incorporate swim and bike..

That's the plan through about mid Jan anyway... From Jan to my first Tri of 08, I'm not exactly sure what to do. Maybe keep rotating through a balanced olympic plan or something until a HIM plan fits and can kick off? Hmm... Any ideas?

Rob

Edited by rperissi 2007-09-07 4:20 PM
2007-09-08 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Well, I got cleared to 'race' this weekend, but I still can't run..so I will swim, bike, walk the event tomorrow. Good luck to everyone else who is out there doing a race, training or resting up!
Later,
Vanessa

2007-09-08 10:37 AM
in reply to: #956315

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

vmax3000 - 2007-09-08 9:53 AM Well, I got cleared to 'race' this weekend, but I still can't run..so I will swim, bike, walk the event tomorrow. Good luck to everyone else who is out there doing a race, training or resting up! Later, Vanessa

Good luck - hopefully you'll still have fun! Smile

2007-09-09 10:02 AM

User image

Sooooo... how did everyone do this weekend? 

Kudos to you, Dan for finishing your race... there is no way I could have managed to do that...

2007-09-09 12:45 PM

User image

Regular

Race is done.  They replaced the swim with a run.  You could look at my log for the reason.  We (Myself and 2 other officer from the Rochester Police Dept.) won the Law Enforcement Challenge.   They added all 3 times together for a final time.  I was 52 overall and 7/15 in my age group.  Crazy weather today.

I hope everyone else had a good race. 

2007-09-09 2:04 PM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
I survived the weekend. And I can now say that I am a triathlete!! I got 3rd in my age group, but I'm pretty sure there were only three total in the age group. I'm ok with it though!

Over all, it went ok, not as well as I would have liked but not bad for my first race considering that 6 months ago, I couldn't make it around the block or the length of the pool even!

I did a race report but I don't have my times yet, I just gestimated what I think they were. I'm hoping they'll have the times up sometime this week. And I tried to download pictures, but I couldn't get it to work.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!
2007-09-09 4:26 PM
in reply to: #956997

User image

Expert
The RPD WON THE FRIEKEN TRIATHLON STANLEY CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2007-09-11 6:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
Congrats to all the racers from this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!
2007-09-11 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Guys,
I had the best swim I have ever had in all of the years I have been doing triathlons. I stayed back and counted to 10 after the gun and then, I swam! I still can't get over it. I even encouraged a couple of newbies as I was slowly passing them. The bike was great...one hill of death on a two loop course that was rather hilly. The walk surprised me. I passed several folks who were just beat by the heat and had started out so strong. In fact, I walked one of them in. Overall, I would love to have all of my races end up like that one. I came in 15/18 in my age group. My swim and bike had me higher in placement, but the walk averaged it all out . Again, just floored by the whole thing. My initial heart rate reflected nerves, being around 117, as opposed to the 168 that I typically get ... like I was going all out on the bike or run and I am just standing in line. WHOO HOOO!!!! Thanks to all of you who buoyed me up when my last swim was so awful. Thanks for the suggestions, too. I see the Doc again at the end of this month. Eventually, maybe I will get to start running, again. But, if I don't, I have the Dilloman (the name of the race)!
Later,
Vanessa
2007-09-11 11:37 AM
in reply to: #959650

User image

Expert
Congratulations. That is a great story. Most of us won't compete for trophies here, so having a positive experience like that is awesome!!
2007-09-11 5:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
Great job Vanessa!!!! That is a great story...not to mention a lesson to all of us to stick with it no matter what. Congrats!
2007-09-11 9:05 PM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
YAY Vanessa! Your awesome for racing even though you were hurt!

I have a question for those who are more experienced than me. I realized during my first race that the mental aspect of racing is so huge! How do you cope with being alone and battling yourself during the race? I doubted myself and my abilities and my mind wondered all over the place. Is there a way to cope with this? Or is it one of those things you just have to practice and figure out on your own??

2007-09-12 8:02 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Excellent job Vanessa!  Great that you went out and did it knowing that you weren't going to be able to run.  Gave you the experience that will help you for future races.
2007-09-12 8:16 AM
in reply to: #960947

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

erhoffma - 2007-09-11 10:05 PM YAY Vanessa! Your awesome for racing even though you were hurt! I have a question for those who are more experienced than me. I realized during my first race that the mental aspect of racing is so huge! How do you cope with being alone and battling yourself during the race? I doubted myself and my abilities and my mind wondered all over the place. Is there a way to cope with this? Or is it one of those things you just have to practice and figure out on your own??

I thought of the race as just an extension of my training.  Sure the swim was a new experience, but once I got in the groove, I just swam it as one stroke at a time, and tried not to think about how far I still had to go.

The bike was easy for me because I love being on the bike!  I wanted to go around again, rather than come in for the run.  However, for the last 5 miles, I paced myself a little way behind another rider.  That gave me something to focus on other than the distance, and all other thoughts went out of my mind other than staying with her.

The run is still my biggest challenge although I've improved in that quite a bit this year.  I did want to stop a number of times, and at those points, I eased off the pace a little and that's always helped me. 

The worst though was shortly after mile 2 when I saw over a 1/2 mile straightaway followed by a 1/4 mile uphill.  Around here you just don't see that far ahead at once, so I was suddenly thinking, you've gotta be kidding me, and I quickly doubted I could do it.  At this point though, I started following another guy, and I just looked at his back and forgot about the scenery.  Don't you know, a little while later I was at the top of the hill before I knew it!

So in a nutshell, my strategy to stop the doubts was to focus on one step at a time, and not the whole race; pace with the people around you as a distraction.  Also to just look at the next telephone pole, or the next landmark and run to that, then to the next, and the next, until you're done.  I also thought about my technique and concentrated on that to keep my mind from wandering and doubting (stretch the strokes out, nice and steady, keep the rotation going, nice smoothly pedaling, keep the cadence up, lean forward, land midfoot, keep my arms back, etc, you get the idea)  If I kept thinking about how far I had to go, I would really struggle.

2007-09-12 8:41 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

erhoffma - 2007-09-11 10:05 PM YAY Vanessa! Your awesome for racing even though you were hurt! I have a question for those who are more experienced than me. I realized during my first race that the mental aspect of racing is so huge! How do you cope with being alone and battling yourself during the race? I doubted myself and my abilities and my mind wondered all over the place. Is there a way to cope with this? Or is it one of those things you just have to practice and figure out on your own??

willie05 is dead on.  The biggest problem people (myself included) is thinking about the race as a whole but putting that feeling in the moment.  Case in point, you're in the swim worried that you are BOP and then start thinking how can you recover and that the whole race is going to be like that.  Now not only do you have negative thoughts, but you have taken yourself out of the moment and are not "working" during the race.

Treat every disipline on it's own.  Focus on the swim only during the swim, etc.  use others as referance but not as a measuring stick.  Like on the swim, I focus on sighting, pulling through, etc.  Then I will glace to see if I am still by the person to my left or right as reference.  When I get out of the water, it's done.  No need to worry if I had a bad or good swim.  I hit my lap timer, but NEVER actually look at it.  There is nothing I can do at that moment, so you can analyze it later.

It's the hardest part of your training to master!  I think it starts by getting out to train on the days you really don't want to.  That's the first step.  Then when you need to be mentally tough on race day, it's easier.  Focus on short goals and give yourself rewards.  At my last race, it was walking the aid stations and getting fluids.  I didnt' stop to walk even though I REALLY REALLY wanted to.  I walked the aid stations and still stalked one guy down.  The only reason I beat him was because he stopped to walk and I didn't. 

Another way to work on it is when you are out for lets say a 1 hr ride.  You get back to your starting point at 56 min.  Do you Call it good enough?  or do you ride that extra 4 min?  Most people do the former.  Do the latter more often and it helps.  Especially with running...that's the hardest.  Those are some little things that I do to work on my mental game.

2007-09-12 9:00 AM

User image

Expert
I just take my shirt off and start yelling at people. They seem to like it and it takes my mind off the pain....and bloody nipples
2007-09-12 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Great races this weekend, it is great to hear so much positive feedback about all the events and experiences--it makes doing this sport just that much more rewarding!

Thanks for the race moment advice, as well.  It is easy to let the mind wander off.... I guess focus is one of those skills that comes with practice!!!   I know when I am wanting to stop and walk or get off the bike or whatever, I just tell myself "ten more steps" or something small and simple, and go from there.  It usually works.  Last night on the long run, one of the gals told me that increasing your cadence when you are tired works to keep you going and keeps your pace up.  We all tried it about 45 minutes into the run, and lo and behold, we all finished strong.  And I can still walk today (LOL).

2007-09-12 10:31 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
2007-09-12 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma

Great job, Vanessa! I hope I can do as well in the water. I still want to wet my pants when I think about it.

Dan! That was one hell of a race! Glad to see you did not fry all your brain cells.

Great advice on the head game. I know that when training if I find a fluffy bunny to chase, my workout is faster and flies by than if I am just out there going: one mile.... there is two.... etc. 

2007-09-13 4:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
I haven't had time to read everyone's comments on this thread since I'm in Germany. My friend Axel and I didn't get a chance to participate in the tri in Nibelungen, but we did stop by to see it. I'm so grateful we did.

For one, the temperature outside and the water temperature were both 65 degrees.

There was a brisk 20 mph wind out of the west.

The transition area was nightmare. Literally, there were 1200 bikes less than a foot apart. So stuff is everywhere, and it's difficult to find anything. (You were allowed to have people in the transition area to help you out, though.)

I was cold...living in Dallas has made me able to cope with heat, but not cold. Can anyone give tips for dealing with a triathlon where the water and the outside air area cold? I can't even imagine how cold that bike ride would be.
2007-09-13 8:43 AM

User image

Yup... glad to see that everyone has come to a point in their training that they are thinking about their head game... that means we are all confident enough to be able to do the distance, right?

To keep my head in the game, I have entire coversations with myself when I start to slack off... I'll find someone to chase down when I am on the bike or run, and when I pass them I will find the next person.  If I am starting to get tired I just remind myself there is a difference between being uncomfortable and being in pain.  So suck it up.  On the swim, I have a mantra that I repeat to myself over and over and over and it helps keep my stroke relaxed and smooth.... "Long and strong.."  I know its nerdy, but it helps me.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 42