BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-02-14 8:10 AM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed
Im 33 but after workouts feel like 50!lol

2008-02-14 8:15 AM

User image

I think Giants make great bikes... here's why.  Giant is the only brand that makes their own frames... that means a direct cost savings to you.  You can usually get a better bike with Giant at a given price point than with Trek, Cannondale, etc.  Spend the extra on a helmet and some bike shorts.

I have been in this sport for 3 years and I STILL ride a rode bike.  Hopefully, that will change within the next 2 weeks.

2008-02-14 8:19 AM

User image

Oh, and I had to make my training logs private... I am having problem with a certain someone breaking in to all of my accounts (email, facebook, and who knows what else) and trying to cause problems.  Sorry to take that away from all of you, but I gotta deal with this.  But I am still here and ready to help!
2008-02-14 8:41 AM
in reply to: #1211233

User image

Eastern PA

Aviator1596 - 2008-02-13 4:28 PM

OK, early on in this thing I promised some bike action, so here you go....

I am very interested in the Giant OCR1.  Why you ask... It has an aluminum frame with carbon fork, and seat stay.  Component level is 105, and I think you get the most bang for your buck (at least at my price point for a first road bike). 

I have heard that the Giant OCR1 is a great bike!

I bought a 2007 Fuji Finest 1.0 and have been really happy with it. I got it at performance bike on one of their 20% points back weekend and paid $1049. With the $200+ in store credit I was able to get ultegra pedals and shoes! So it was a great buy for me and I really like the bike. My Fuji has Ultegra rear and 105 front derailleurs and it is women's specific so it fits well too. I think because it is not as popular as the Trek and Cannondale brands, you can get a little more componentry for the money.

I think the bottom line is test ride it and be sure you LOVE it! Love the feel, love the fit, and love the look of it.

I have LOVE LOVE LOVE on the brain. HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

Leticia
2008-02-14 9:22 AM

User image

OK.. I think I posted this before, but I am going to throw it out again in case you guys missed it.  Test riding a bike means nothing.... and I mean absolutely nothing.  You can't tell if the bike fits in 3 minutes riding around the parking lot of the store.  If they allowed you to take it on a 40 mile ride up the hill, then that might be a little different.

A proper bike fitting should consist of a bunch of measurements.  No bike involved.  They crunch a bunch of numbers and spit out a bike at you.  "You can have THAT one."  Granted, I don't know a lot of bike shops that do this fit properly, and the only place I have been that do it is the Bike Sport here in Michigan.

When buying my first bike, I walked into the shop and they said, "oooooo, a woman... lets put her on this 48 cm that we can't get rid of."  Little did I know that I should be on a 53 cm.  Now I have nagging hip flexor issues that will not heal.

2008-02-14 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1211704

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

That is great advice, Robyn.  I'm going for a fitting soon and am a little nervous not knowing much at all about bikes.  So they should basically take measurements and then point to a few that fit, right?  I say "a few" because I'm hoping that at least one that fits will be in the low price range. 

There's a shop in my area that does a quick fit (free) and then a custom fit ($150).  While I don't want to spend a fortune on a bike right now, I don't mind spending the money for a fitting because I know a bike isn't worth anything if the fit is all wrong.  From your experience, would the quick fit give me all I need?  Here's a link to their description.

http://www.wheeliefun.com/fitdescriptions.html

Thank you so much!

2008-02-14 2:01 PM
in reply to: #1212459

User image

lkagop - 2008-02-14 1:22 PM

That is great advice, Robyn.  I'm going for a fitting soon and am a little nervous not knowing much at all about bikes.  So they should basically take measurements and then point to a few that fit, right?  I say "a few" because I'm hoping that at least one that fits will be in the low price range. 

There's a shop in my area that does a quick fit (free) and then a custom fit ($150).  While I don't want to spend a fortune on a bike right now, I don't mind spending the money for a fitting because I know a bike isn't worth anything if the fit is all wrong.  From your experience, would the quick fit give me all I need?  Here's a link to their description.

http://www.wheeliefun.com/fitdescriptions.html

Thank you so much!

IMHO.. if you are buying a bike from them, they should give you a custom fit for free.  That is usually standard.  And most bike shops know that if they give you good service (ie.. good bike fit) you will be back over and over again for everything you need for your bike... including clothes, helment, shoes, socks, pedals, wheels, tires, service, more bikes, etc... you get the point.  Custom fit should be free (unless you don't buy the bike from them).

And usually, all bikes from the same manufacturer should fit close to the same way, regardless of price point.  There might be tweaks here and there, but the overall fit should be the same.  In other words, a Giant might fit you but a Trek might not.  Price point doesn't matter when it comes to fit.  And all major road bike brands (Trek, Cannondale, Giant, etc.) have bikes that fall in relatively the same price ranges.  They might have a bike that is around $1000, and across the board they will all have the same components, they will all be made from the same material, and generally perform the same way.  When you get to the higher prices is when you start to see the different in bike manufacturers.  Guru makes a custom bike, Specialized has a really cool looking bike that is really expensive, Cervelo is... well, Cervelo.  But even then at the higher prices, you are going to get a carbon fiber frame, Ultegra or Dura Ace components and a few additional bells and whistles.

2008-02-14 2:04 PM

User image

Oh, and I ride a Giant TCR2.  Her name is SuperFly.
2008-02-14 2:35 PM
in reply to: #1212624

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

I've read that paying for a fitting was kind of expected, so I was prepared for that possibility, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks that's a little odd.

I can totally understand bringing in a bike you already own for a fitting and being charged, but paying for a fitting where I'll be dropping several hundred dollars afterwards doesn't make sense.  It's kind of like paying for a movie ticket, sitting in your seat and then the usher coming by to collect from you a "start the movie fee" before he can draw back the curtains.  (OK, that's really bad analogy.)

I'm buying running shoes tomorrow.  You don't have to pay for shoe fittings do you?

Thanks a lot for your advice, Robyn.  I know you've got a lot of us on here so I'll try not to hog anymore time.

Lora

2008-02-14 2:56 PM

User image

Pay for shoe fittings?  No way... but shoe fittings work a lot like bike fittings.  They measure your footsie, stick you on a tready, and say..... "You can have this shoe or that shoe.  Sorry they are ugly."

2008-02-14 2:57 PM
in reply to: #1212636

User image

Pro
Irvine, California

triOK - 2008-02-14 12:04 PM Oh, and I ride a Giant TCR2.  Her name is SuperFly.

Hey cool, same bike I have!  What year is yours?  Got mine last fall, and though I LOVE the bike, I don't really care for the paint job.  Haven't come up with a name for her yet either...  (And yes, it's gotta be female, no way I'm riding a guy. )

2008-02-14 2:58 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

I called another shop in another major city around here and they want $125 to do the fit.  Sounds like I'd better plan on ponying up.

2008-02-14 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1212769

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

triOK - 2008-02-14 3:56 PM Pay for shoe fittings?  No way... but shoe fittings work a lot like bike fittings.  They measure your footsie, stick you on a tready, and say..... "You can have this shoe or that shoe.  Sorry they are ugly."

LOL.  Thanks a lot, Robyn.

2008-02-14 5:27 PM
in reply to: #1212772

User image

Master
Vista, CA
krludwig - 2008-02-14 12:57 PM

triOK - 2008-02-14 12:04 PM Oh, and I ride a Giant TCR2. Her name is SuperFly.

Hey cool, same bike I have! What year is yours? Got mine last fall, and though I LOVE the bike, I don't really care for the paint job. Haven't come up with a name for her yet either... (And yes, it's gotta be female, no way I'm riding a guy. )

ooh, aahh, ooh ahh.
I don't have a cool bike yet!

If I remember correctly, you're in So. Cal, too. Where did you get it?

~Lynn
2008-02-14 5:37 PM
in reply to: #1211704

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Thanks for the bike info. I rode with the family on Sunday and realized my Giant mountain bike is NOT going to work for Tri's. So husband decided to get me one. We may go for a fitting tonight. So you recommend a road bike and get the clip on with shoes? What about the aerobars? Should I do components, like the saddle or will all that come with it?

Would you recommend a Giant? About how much should I expect to spend?

I'm so new to this - sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks for your mentorship!!

~Lynn
2008-02-14 6:02 PM
in reply to: #1213172

User image

Pro
Irvine, California

Hey Lynn, yep I live in SoCal.  I got my Giant at Two Wheels One Planet in Lake Forest.  Worked with Kristin (who's the owner I believe), and she was extremely nice and knowledgeable.  They do offer a free fitting once you've selected a bike, too.

24844 Muirlands Blvd
Lake Forest, CA 92630
http://twowheelsoneplanet.com/

I was choosing between the Giant TCR C2 and C3, and the Trek Madone, and went with the Giant, since it just felt better to me. 

I think to get a full carbon frame and Ultegra components, you'll end up paying a minimum of $2k.  My Giant is full carbon and mostly Ultegra, but the brakes are 105, and out-the-door with a cycling computer and various accessories, plus tax, it came to $2200.

Worth every penny.

Oh, and most bikes will come with a fairly decent saddle, but no pedals, so expect to add another $50 to $100 for that.  Plus you'll need biking shoes and a helmet.  It all adds up pretty quick!

2008-02-14 10:22 PM
in reply to: #1212774

User image

Master
lkagop - 2008-02-14 2:58 PM

I called another shop in another major city around here and they want $125 to do the fit.  Sounds like I'd better plan on ponying up.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your price point?  Because if it is anything north of $500 dollars, there is no way you should be paying for a fit if you buy from the shop you are being fit at.  It is in their best interest to develop a relationship with you, and charging $125 for a fit is no way to to that in my opinion, if you are buying the bike from them.  Visit more shops.  You will find one that is right for you.  I think you should keep looking.  Just my two cents.

2008-02-15 7:57 AM

User image

I agree that you should not have to pay for a bike fitting... why would a bike shop sell you a bike that you won't be able to ride because it doesn't fit?  Look for a shop that fits for free...

As far as price goes, you really can choose your own price... but you pay for what you get.  At the lower end of the spectrum you'll get an aluminum frame with Shimano components.  That's pretty standard across the board.  As you go up in price, they will tweak it a little by adding a carbon fork, upgraded components (shifters, brakes, F&R derailler, etc).  But as you jump price points you get a whole new bike.  There is a massive difference between Shimano and Ultegra, Ultegra and Dura Ace, etc.  There is a huge difference between aluminum and carbon fiber or titanium...

But the above posters are correct... its not just a bike you need.  Keep in mind that you will need shorts (seriously, don't skimp on this one), helmet (I will hurt you if you walk out of that shop without a helmet), pedals and shoes (yes, this is a must, especially for a road bike), extra tubes, and a tire pump.  So, yes, it adds up quickly.

You might want to check the local bike shops in the area to get a feel for what you are looking for.  Also scope them out to see which one will give you the best service (that is very important, especially when buying a bike).  Once you have seen all of your options, decide what it is you want on your bike, knowing what everything is going to cost.  You want a bike with Dura Ace?  Well, expect to pay $3k, but if you can make it happen with Shimano then the price will be significantly lower than that.

When looking, keep in mind that the price of things has a lot to do with how much it weighs.  If you want to know why aluminum is cheaper than carbon, well, the answer is:  its lighter (and more difficult to manufacture).  The lighter your bike is, the more expensive it will be.  When looking at pedals, the "its lighter" answer is always the correct answer.

Good luck and happy shopping!

2008-02-15 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1213986

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Thanks, Robyn -- Appreciate all the advice. I'll let you know what we come up with!
2008-02-15 7:16 PM

User image

Denver,CO
Ok a few things. I am turning 50 next month and this is my mid life crisis. At least that is what everyone is saying.

I signed up to do the Tri for the Cure Aug 3,2008. we have a mini one in may 27th I think. I am looking for one in July to do. And maybe June.

Julie- the Boulder sprint is already closed and they are almost ready to close the Tri for the Cure. The Danskin in Denver changed to June 29th. I don't know when that one opens. Soon I am sure.
2008-02-15 8:32 PM
in reply to: #1213680

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

My price point is low, but I do expect to pay more than $500.

I could not agree with you more, Bennet, and I've already started a list of other shops in the area.  Thanks for you opinion.  I appreciate it.

Edited by lkagop 2008-02-15 8:42 PM

2008-02-15 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1213986

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
triOK - 2008-02-15 8:57 AM

I agree that you should not have to pay for a bike fitting... why would a bike shop sell you a bike that you won't be able to ride because it doesn't fit?  Look for a shop that fits for free...

As far as price goes, you really can choose your own price... but you pay for what you get.  At the lower end of the spectrum you'll get an aluminum frame with Shimano components.  That's pretty standard across the board.  As you go up in price, they will tweak it a little by adding a carbon fork, upgraded components (shifters, brakes, F&R derailler, etc).  But as you jump price points you get a whole new bike.  There is a massive difference between Shimano and Ultegra, Ultegra and Dura Ace, etc.  There is a huge difference between aluminum and carbon fiber or titanium...

But the above posters are correct... its not just a bike you need.  Keep in mind that you will need shorts (seriously, don't skimp on this one), helmet (I will hurt you if you walk out of that shop without a helmet), pedals and shoes (yes, this is a must, especially for a road bike), extra tubes, and a tire pump.  So, yes, it adds up quickly.

You might want to check the local bike shops in the area to get a feel for what you are looking for.  Also scope them out to see which one will give you the best service (that is very important, especially when buying a bike).  Once you have seen all of your options, decide what it is you want on your bike, knowing what everything is going to cost.  You want a bike with Dura Ace?  Well, expect to pay $3k, but if you can make it happen with Shimano then the price will be significantly lower than that.

When looking, keep in mind that the price of things has a lot to do with how much it weighs.  If you want to know why aluminum is cheaper than carbon, well, the answer is:  its lighter (and more difficult to manufacture).  The lighter your bike is, the more expensive it will be.  When looking at pedals, the "its lighter" answer is always the correct answer.

Good luck and happy shopping!  [/QUOTE

Thanks, Robyn.  That is really good advice, especially regarding the different brands.  I'd seen some of those names thrown around but didn't know how good they were.

Looks like I'll have to do more store shopping for my bike shopping than I'd anticipated, but sounds like it'll be worth it.  Thanks again.

Lora

2008-02-15 10:09 PM

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

It's Official .... I am an @ss!!!!

My grandmother passed away this morning after a very extended illness. I was just sitting here thinking, " Work today, and in a meeting until well after six, then back to the station where I had to pass along the info from the meeting to my crew. I have Brodie all day Saturday and Sunday becuase Monica has her 12 hour shift x 2 this weekend, The Funeral is Monday and then I'll be back here at work after the funeral. Geex when Am I gonna train????" Then  I realized what an @zz I must be to be worried about my training, my grandmother and I were very close gorwing up...and here I am worried about when I can ride my bike again.  

2008-02-16 4:52 PM
in reply to: #1215563

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

thanks to those of you who the kind words in my log. It is greatly appriciated. My mother offered to watch Brodie today so i could get a ride in. The weather is supposed to be really bad around here tomorrow so I am glad i could something in today. I may try some Yoga tomorrow ( from On Demmand TV), while Brodie takes a nap...we'll see. Hopefullyu after the funeral Monday I can get a run or short swim in...Hope evry one has a GREAT week!!!! As we say here in the south..."YA"LL ROCK, YA'LL!!!!!Laughing

2008-02-17 8:37 AM

User image

Eastern PA
I am disappointed in my workouts last week, so I am setting goals for this week:

Run 2x3mi
Swim 2x1000m
Bike 1x15 (if it gets warmer... otherwise, bike machine at the gym 3x4mi)
Strength Training,etc 3x30min

Leticia
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52