BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-07-15 10:26 PM
in reply to: #2288264

User image

Illinois
Subject: RE: Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED

Ah, Christine, I remember some Sundays when my kids were little and I was really looking forward to heading back to work on Monday.  And I only had two kids!  Raising kids is really tiring!  When I was little my mom stayed home to take care of us four kids -- no home schooling though.  On the other hand, in those days, kids were a lot more "free range" as my husband calls it.    It does get less all-consuming as the kids get older.  And now I'm an empty nester and semi-retired to boot so I get plenty of me time.  I like it.

Hang in there and enjoy your visit with your brother.  No guilt though.  It will be nice for your husband to have more time alone with the kids.

Sue

2009-07-16 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2288264

User image

Veteran
Northern VA

Chris,
I feel guilty when I am off on my own too! But it is good for us, and good for them, so have fun, and eat good food!
I love NYC and wish I could get up there sometime, I think it is all the little hole in the wall resturants and galleries that I love the most :0)

Edited by freeflykami 2009-07-16 1:44 PM
2009-07-17 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2068936

User image

For those of you who have already completed your tri...

Did you do the full race distance before the actual race day?  My race is next Sunday 7/26, and I am thinking about practicing the full bike/run distance this Sunday 7/19, but leaving out the swim.  I've practiced some swim/bike bricks, some bike/run bricks, but never done all 3 at once.  I'm honestly most comfortable with the swim, so I figure if I can do a full bike/run brick this Sunday, I'll be able to handle the adding the swim next week.  Do you feel like it's beneficial to run the whole swim/bike/run sequence before the race, or not?

And then, next week, I will taper!

Mary Sue
2009-07-18 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2291942

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
myoun - 2009-07-17 12:46 PM For those of you who have already completed your tri...

Did you do the full race distance before the actual race day?  My race is next Sunday 7/26, and I am thinking about practicing the full bike/run distance this Sunday 7/19, but leaving out the swim.  I've practiced some swim/bike bricks, some bike/run bricks, but never done all 3 at once.  I'm honestly most comfortable with the swim, so I figure if I can do a full bike/run brick this Sunday, I'll be able to handle the adding the swim next week.  Do you feel like it's beneficial to run the whole swim/bike/run sequence before the race, or not?

Mary Sue

Hey, Mary Sue.  I wouldn't worry so much about doing an SBR brick.  I would recommend doing at least one bike/run brick before your race, though.  I did train the full distances of each event prior to the tri, but I only got up to that distance a couple times beforehand, though.    I know, shame on me.

I think your plan heading into next weekend is perfect.
2009-07-18 4:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Hello everyone!   What a crazy week it has been here.  Yesterday morning I was out baling hay and was absolutely certain it was Wednesday so there I sat making plans for Thurs and Fri.    Imagine my surprise when I came in to do some computer work and saw a weather report that seemed to be saying it was Friday!!   I had to ask my dd if that was right! LOL    We have been putting in 14-15 hour days all week, loading out wheat, cutting/raking/baling hay, etc.   I did get one pool swim in on Wed morning but only because I had to go to town for ranch things.   As it was, I was so late leaving home because dh had to go get the electric motor's pulley belt for me to take along, that I arrived at the pool with only 10min left of lap swim.  I got in and swam 500m before the lifeguard told me to leave.     Every night I have thought I would get a training run or bike in but I have been too exhausted to go.    Yesterday as I was cutting hay and thinking back over the week, I said to myself that very few people realize how much goes into making that juicy burger or steak!!

MarySue - I agree with Lora in doing at least one bike/run brick, even if it is not the full race distances.   The Trek series plans only have you do 7mile bike, 1.5mile run.   It was good for me to know how my legs were going to feel...and as you know from my sharing, I had some trouble figuring out how to be properly hydrated and energized.    I did go to my race route a few weeks prior, road the bike route (not at a race pace) and then walk/ran the 5K route.    I was very glad I had ridden the bike route because it made me more confident on race day.   

Chris - hope you are having FUN in NY!   Enjoy and don't feel guilty about the kids.   They get more time with you than most kids today and I have found it is very good for us homeschooling moms to get away and get refreshed.    I used to feel the same way, but have seen positive growth in the kids as a result of my doing things for me!   I think it has helped them realize that I am actually a human being!

Lora, good to see you around.  How is the new job?

Lisa - did I miss your RR?

I finally got my computer up and running again, but the lightening zapped my Quicken files...yes, I know...I should have backed them up more recently!  Anyway, I have several months of financial stuff to redo now.      Also, our oldest ds, 23yo, is flying in tomorrow.   I pick him up in Denver at noon.   We flew him home to do some work and welding for us...and he is going to meet a girl he met online, who lives just north of us.    Then next Saturday, the 2 youngest and I will fly to San Diego for 3 days (thanks to my mom).   She and my sis rented a house right on Mission Beach.   I can't wait!   Much needed R&R.      The last of the hay should be baled and stacked by tomorrow and then I pray I can get back to training again.

Blessings,
SHarie
2009-07-19 12:45 PM

User image

Hi all-
Did my full race distance BR brick today - 11.5 mi bike/5K run.  Overall, I was pretty happy with the results - especially since my town is much hillier than the race course.  My knees are a little sore, but nothing awful.  I definitely need to drink more on the bike.  Since I only had one water fountain that I passed on the run, I was definitely feeling it by that point.  Now I plan on getting a few easy workouts in this week, and mostly tapering for next Sunday's race.

One week to go!  I can't believe it - how time flies!  I'm excited and nervous, but now I'm at least pretty sure I'll finish!
Mary Sue

2009-07-19 5:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
ok girls, I'm feeling pretty down about my next tri, 2 weeks from today.... So this is where I would have begun to taper for the last one, but it has felt like the last 2 weeks have been a taper!
2 weeks ago we were at the beach, I ran a bunch and swam some, but didn't get a single bike in since I couldn't bring it with us. Last week I got one bike in of just over an hour since my ds' preschool was (surprisingly) closed on my usual long bike day. I was goind to do a swim/bike today which didn't happen because I am feeling stomach "weird" and thought I stay out of the pool... So I am WAY down on my volume....

I don't know what to do... Taper or not? am I going to poop out on the tri since I haven't gotten all that much volume in???
2009-07-19 10:45 PM

User image

Hi Kami -
I am by no means an expert, but I'd suggest a good solid week this week, and taper for one week before the event.
Just my 2 cents -
Mary Sue
2009-07-20 12:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
I am not an expert either, but I read quite a few things just before my tri - after I tapered for a week - that most don't taper at all for a sprint!    My advice would be to do some good workouts this week and then take next week a little easier but still do something up til 2 days before the race, i.e. if the tri is Saturday, take thurs and fri off.    My tri was on Sunday and my plans had me start tapering on Wed.   I think it was too long.  

If I can find the article I read, I will post it.
2009-07-20 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2295223

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
please post the article if you find it.
Thanks to you both. I think I am going to hit it kinda hard this week and take it easier next week with fri. sat. off before the race... I did a run this morning and got a huge quad cramp, but I am still planning on getting on the trainer tonight so I can get in 2 bikes this week.
2009-07-21 12:29 PM

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY
Hi ladies!

Sorry I haven't been around lately.  Life got in the way for a few weeks.  Things are settling down now.  The house is sold and I am just dealing with the nitty-gritty details of getting to closing.  And packing.  And my last two weeks at work.  Still busy, but I feel more in control of things than I did two weeks ago.

Congrats to the new triathletes!  I've got to catch up on race reports and posts.

2009-07-22 9:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi everybody,

MarySue - Hey, good luck on your tri this weekend.  I just read your swim/run race report.  I didn't know there were such things - I'm sure there aren't any in Minnesota.

Janet - I've been to St Louis in the summer and there is NO WAY I could ever run a 5K in that heat and humidity.  Good for you!

Sharie - The 1st time I went OWS,  I was too afraid to go in water over my head - especially with the weeds.  I just made myself go a little further each time and gradually I lost my fear.  I always swim where there's lifeguards and at a time when there aren't many people there so the lifeguard can concentrate on watching me - haha.  I'm not wearing a wetsuit for my tri - just a trisuit which I just got in the mail and it fits great - thank goodness

Kami -  My tri's in 2.5 weeks and I'm agonizing over how to taper, too.  One book recommends a 3 day or 1 week taper based on fitness.  My other 2 books both say "It takes 10 to 12 days to realize the benefits of a given workout.  Therefore, training with a high workload within 10 days of a race reaps no additional fitness benefits.  I think I'm going with a 5 day taper.

Denise

2009-07-23 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Morning ladies!  Despite being a little tired from my swim this morning, I'm feeling good.  I've been a little off with my training lately - not really burnout I don't think, just boredom.  I was doing basically the same workouts on the same days every week.  It was getting kind of repetitive.  So this week I've mixed things up a little - went swimming on different days, got up early one morning for a run, things like that.  It seems to be helping because I'm not dreading my workouts any moreSmile.   I figured as long as I get everything in, that's all that really matters.  I've only got 3-1/2 weeks until my tri so I need to get the workouts in however I can.   
2009-07-23 3:23 PM

User image

Illinois

Hi all,

My mini-tri (about 2/3 of a sprint tri) is next Saturday and I'm trying to figure out what to wear.  I ordered some Yankz for my shoes.  And will order a black sports bra to wear under the top of my swimsuit.  I wore one of my other bras for my walk/run the other day and talk about chafed!

I'm wondering if I even need to bother wearing a shirt over my swim suit top.  It's a tankini that comes several inches below my belly button so it's modest enough.  I anticipate being on the course between 60 and 75 minutes so don't know I'd need much sun coverage.  I figure getting on a top would be that much more to wrangle with during transition.  Will I just get too hot during the run if I don't have something wicking the sweat away?  What do you think?

Our tri training class is tapering after our Monday class next week.  Monday we do a mini-mini mostly to help with the transitions.

I have been doing bricks with someone from the class on Fridays.  That's helping quite a lot.  She's great to run with, slow but can go forever!

Sue

2009-07-23 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2302801

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
LadyNorth - 2009-07-22 10:01 PM
Kami -  My tri's in 2.5 weeks and I'm agonizing over how to taper, too.  One book recommends a 3 day or 1 week taper based on fitness.  My other 2 books both say "It takes 10 to 12 days to realize the benefits of a given workout.  Therefore, training with a high workload within 10 days of a race reaps no additional fitness benefits.  I think I'm going with a 5 day taper.

Denise

Good thing I got in that 32 mile ride yesturday, just in time! ;0)
I am feeling better about it today, minus the run... I am just having the hardest time fitting those in!
Me and 2 guys from my swim team are going out to ride the bike course and do a short run on sunday, THEN I will taper!! might even skip swim practice on thursday night... oooohhhhh.
2009-07-24 7:33 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

Hey all...it's bee a while!  I haven't been doing much posting on BT lately...haven't been doing much training lately either Embarassed

I did my first TRI!!  (Race Report is up...) Which was somewhat anti-climatic...but have my 2nd tri in a little over 2 weeks.  I've been battling a virus and mental "don't-wannas"...but after doing the first tri - I'm pretty sure I can do the next one...it'll just be a matter of how sore I am after!

...ooohhh...toppage Hi!

Edited by lkc01234 2009-07-24 7:34 AM

2009-07-24 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2291942

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
myoun - 2009-07-17 11:46 AM For those of you who have already completed your tri...

Mary Sue

I had done the full race distance for each component - but never all at the same time.  Specifically - I  had swam a 1/2 mile before; I had biked over 13 miles before and had done a 5K.  Just never all at once.  I might've done a short swim and a long bike - or something like that...

One thing that I would suggest to you and everyone... RELAX!!  Remember why you are racing - is it cuz you benefit from training or what??  And - the more people you can have there with you the better!  I think that was one of my things.  I was by myself waiting for the race...for the race and after the race... (mom had to go get the car and meet me - took well over an hour...)  I would've appreciated someone to hug, celebrate with... 

Also - if you are lucky enough to have spectators - I am realizing that triathlons are very weird to watch.  If you can tell them where and WHEN you think you might be going by - that'll be good!
2009-07-24 7:39 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
GOOD LUCK to everyone racing this weekend!!
2009-07-24 4:13 PM
in reply to: #2305293

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
lkc01234 - 2009-07-24 7:33 AM

Hey all...it's bee a while!  I haven't been doing much posting on BT lately...haven't been doing much training lately either Embarassed

I did my first TRI!!  (Race Report is up...) Which was somewhat anti-climatic...but have my 2nd tri in a little over 2 weeks.  I've been battling a virus and mental "don't-wannas"...but after doing the first tri - I'm pretty sure I can do the next one...it'll just be a matter of how sore I am after!

...ooohhh...toppage Hi!

hey Lisa,

Congrats!  Read your race report.  I would give anything to be able to swim  2'20"/100- and you complained it was so bad and you were even doggy-paddling part of the time.  Next year, ditch the mountain bike.  Good luck in 2 weeks - that's when my 1st tri is.

Denise

2009-07-25 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2302801

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
LadyNorth - 2009-07-22 10:01 PM Hi everybody,

Denise

I usually start pulling distances back about a week before a Sprint.  I don't train the day before and I may just do a short run or swim two days before.  That's just become my personal preference.  Good stuff.
2009-07-25 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2303501

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
soccermom15 - 2009-07-23 10:37 AM Morning ladies!  Despite being a little tired from my swim this morning, I'm feeling good.  I've been a little off with my training lately - not really burnout I don't think, just boredom.  I was doing basically the same workouts on the same days every week.  It was getting kind of repetitive.  So this week I've mixed things up a little - went swimming on different days, got up early one morning for a run, things like that.  It seems to be helping because I'm not dreading my workouts any moreSmile.   I figured as long as I get everything in, that's all that really matters.  I've only got 3-1/2 weeks until my tri so I need to get the workouts in however I can.   

That is SOOOOO smart, Janet.  Boredom can be a common phase for us so mixing it up, in whatever ways work, is a solid move.

2009-07-26 1:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
What a poopy day!

So - I got up this morning at 4am to ride the bike route for my tri.  I wanted to avoid traffic cuz part of it's on a highway and part on a road with no shoulder.  45 minutes to get there.  So - start out fine.  Then get a flat shortly after a mile.  And it's the back tire which I don't know how to change (I've practiced the front but the back is different - I guess I'll have to learn how to do that too).  So I walk it back to my car and drive home.

However - I am darn lucky - I didn't have a cell phone and if it had happened 7 or 8 miles out, I would  have been in big trouble.  Not many houses around and I don't know if I would have had the guts to knock on some stranger's door at 5:30 am on a Sunday.

Well - that's in the past - time to forge onward.
Denise
2009-07-26 7:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
I road my tri route today with 2 training buddies, they are tough! I hope that I can keep that pace up for the race, then we ran the course too, me slowly ;0)

Anyway, I got some nasty chafing on my chest from my tri top, I didn't feel it as it happened but I now have 2 pink holes in my tan, I hope they heal enough by next weekend that the body glide will work. I have another top but it is a bra top which I'm not too sure about for the bike...

Planning on taking it "easy" for the rest of the week... we'll see!
2009-07-26 7:43 PM

User image

Hi all-
Yay me!  I did my first tri today.  I was hoping for under 2 hours, and I came in at 1:49, so I'm very happy.  I was a great experience - I felt OK about the swim, GREAT about the bike, and a little disappointed by the run.  Overall though, I was very proud of my efforts today.  I'll write the race report up in the next few days to share with all.

Mary Sue
2009-07-27 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2309041

User image

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say that I completed my triathlon yesterday!  It was so fun and exciting.  My race report is up.  Thanks for the support early on in my training, even though I did not find time to join in this thread more recently.  I am going to stick with running only for the rest of this year since it was very hard to fit all three sports into my schedule.  But who knows, I may decide to do another tri next year.

myoun - 2009-07-26 8:43 PM Hi all-
Yay me!  I did my first tri today.  I was hoping for under 2 hours, and I came in at 1:49, so I'm very happy.  I was a great experience - I felt OK about the swim, GREAT about the bike, and a little disappointed by the run.  Overall though, I was very proud of my efforts today.  I'll write the race report up in the next few days to share with all.

Mary Sue

Great job Mary Sue!  You did the NJ state sprint, too, right?  You beat my time of 1:55, and I felt better about my swim than my bike. So who knows, you may've been one of the many ladies passing me on the bike.  Wink
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36