of 47

2009-03-30 9:03 AM
in reply to: #1856289

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY
Subject: RE: Sesh's Group - FULL!

Happy Monday!

So Bill, is the taper madness setting in yet?

2009-03-30 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2045418

User image

Master
sdalessio - 2009-03-28 8:57 AM
serendipity - 2009-03-27 11:06 AM

(Oh, and I can post from work again!  Yay!  There goes my productivity.)

Thank goodness!  I missed you during the week when I trying to procrastinate at work.

I hated not being able to post.  I would read the thread and want to say something, but couldn't.  It was so frustrating.

Edited by serendipity 2009-03-30 9:05 AM
2009-03-30 11:51 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

Happy Monday group

The lovely cough my children gave me and seasonal whatever is trying hard to settle into my chest.  UGH!!!  I finished a bike ride w/ a friend this morning on somebig hills and just about died. My chest hurt by the end b/c I was sucking in (or trying to) so much oxygen.  LOL

And this, of course, is my bike focus training week.  Come on drugs - kick in!!!!!!!!!!

How was everyone's weekend?

2009-03-30 6:59 PM
in reply to: #2048280

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
serendipity - 2009-03-30 9:03 AM

Happy Monday!

Oh so close.

The wife had a flat and I had to go get a bunch of flyers for a race today.  In addition to general insanity at werk, I didn't think much about the race today.  I've got some shows I watch coming on tonight, so that'll help, too.

2009-03-31 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2046321

User image

Expert
Florida
sdalessio - 2009-03-28 8:04 PM

BeginnerMan - 2009-03-26 9:03 AM sounds like everyone's got their plates full! Sesh- no worries man! keep it up, im sure your gonna kill that HIM, is it your first race in a wetsuit? if it is youll def. notice a difference, but your a swimmer anyways so have no fear man you will tear it up! SD-damn, your schedule is looking like mine, stay strong and keep it up! serendipity-i was thinking bout another 5 or 10k as well to try and get an actual 5K time. those are a ton of fun as well. definately get another one if you can ! Anyone have any good advice on recovery? with this marathon training and intermeidate olympic plan, im only 4 days in and i can't feel anything fromt he waist down...of course im exaggerating-but not really, past two days workouts have been me mentally working through the extreme soreness in my hips,quads,hams,calves, and pretty much everything else down there. I would love to BQ as well at my first marathon-but it will never eeeeeever happen not in my AG. i need to run a 3:00 marathon hahahahahahahaha, yea-ok. i dont see that happening first time out, but im from boston and thats been a "never gonna happen" goal for about my entire life as a fat kid.. long story short-fat kid, 11 years old, two days before the boston marathon they had a kid race that was a mile near heartbreak hill-one of the worst expeirences of my life, walked the entire thing basically(my mothers idea to sign me up) well-im looking to get back to that spot, and do some damage anyone got good advice bout running other than building my base, speedwork, and intervals? im allllll ears

I'm not sure how much you have been doing but it sounds like your body is asking you to back off a bit.  I know there are weeks/days in my plan when I am tired but no prolonged soreness.  I've heard others in our group comment about being tired but not necessarily sore.  Also make sure you have enough recovery workouts and days off in your plan.

As far as the marathon training - I start 16-20 weeks out from a race so unless you have a race that soon I would not worry about that now.  Your tri training will add base miles to your running so you will be ready for the plan when the time comes.  For adding speed at an endurance distance, I think it takes times especially of you are new to it.  I like do a running race at least once a month even if it's just a 5k.  This way I know how I am or am not improving on my pacing.  I love the Runner's World running plans - Smart Coach and McMillan's running calculator for paces - http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

Good luck - I saw you are doing Miami Man HIM.  That seemed like a nice one to do.  I did the INternational last year.  The swim is nice - small lake and warm but wetsuit legal, the bike is flat but strong headwinds and crosswinds UGH on the out and back (not sure how that happens but it does), and the run is fun through the zoo.  They give lots of stuff but the after race food is not the best.

Great advise SD, I spoke to soon tho i guess.
My legs a day after i posted that message started feeling better and the soreness disapaited. I had long runs/bikes on teh same day this weekend and swim session intervals that included lots of kick sets, and the whole weekend my legs felt great! And they have been feeling very good ever since, i think it was just my body re-adapting to the load it used too, plus im doing more legs wiehglifting now, which i was ignoring before because i didn't want overuse on my legs, now that they are stronger overall ive added squats etc... back in for strength.
Thanks for the descriptino of miami man, iw asn't sure what to expect. If i do that one ill do the disney marathon in january as my first mary. if i dont do the HIM then ill do the marathon of the palm beaches on december 6th.
decisions decsions lol.
Monday was my day from hell work-wise and continuation of hell from friday. finally got it all situated late yesterday.
got a nasty 60 minute hill training run in this morning, and i got a 1 hour steady-state Z1/2 bikeride planne dfor this afternoon.
Finally did my LT test for the bike and i avg a 134 so at least now i know my HR and what zones to use.
still need to do my run test, maybe do it later this week.
Im excited, my new swim jammers, pull bouy, mesh bag, and kickboard are on a UPS headed to my house from swimoutlet.com, finally!
cant wait, already a decent swimmer but i know having an ACTUAL pull bouy will help my pull drills since i dont have to drag my legs now.
anyways-can't wait for TV tonight after bikeride, american idol AND biggest loser
hope everyone is doing well...SD feel better, there are mad people at my job sick right now.
Sesh-i know your gonna kill it bro, just take it easy and get ready!
2009-03-31 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2049660

User image

Master
sesh - 2009-03-30 7:59 PM
serendipity - 2009-03-30 9:03 AM

Happy Monday!

Oh so close.

The wife had a flat and I had to go get a bunch of flyers for a race today.  In addition to general insanity at werk, I didn't think much about the race today.  I've got some shows I watch coming on tonight, so that'll help, too.

It's good that you have things to keep you busy, although I'm sure your wife didn't enjoy the flat tire!

I was feeling left out because it seems so many people are racing this weekend, so I went looking for another local 5K and I found one 5 minutes from home.  Friday night will probably be a late night at work, so I'm not committing yet, but I'm itching to do another one.

2009-03-31 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2048749

User image

Master
sdalessio - 2009-03-30 12:51 PM

Happy Monday group

The lovely cough my children gave me and seasonal whatever is trying hard to settle into my chest.  UGH!!!  I finished a bike ride w/ a friend this morning on somebig hills and just about died. My chest hurt by the end b/c I was sucking in (or trying to) so much oxygen.  LOL

And this, of course, is my bike focus training week.  Come on drugs - kick in!!!!!!!!!!

Take care of yourself!  I hope you are feeling better.

2009-03-31 11:50 AM
in reply to: #2051167

User image

Expert
serendipity - 2009-03-31 11:42 AM
sdalessio - 2009-03-30 12:51 PM

Happy Monday group

Take care of yourself!  I hope you are feeling better.

That sounds like fun - you should do it.  Sleep is for the weak!  LOL

I'm excited about running through the Cherry Blossoms this weekend.  I've walked around the Tidal Basin in DC where most of the trees are before but the race goes by all the different locations and they should be at their peak.  My hubby and I are running together and are just going to enjoy the scenery.  :-)

2009-03-31 1:26 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Matt237 2009-03-31 1:27 PM
2009-03-31 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2051500

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

Happy 40th!  or happy 32nd part two.  Hope things work out OK with the knee.

I've also been bad about posting but I've been trying to read regularly and keep up with what everyone is up to.

March was so-so for me... motivation has flagged just a little and as a result my weight loss has slowed to a near halt.  I just need to give myself a kick in the backside and get going again - I can definitely see where I've slacked off.

I had some of my best runs and rides in March but also took too many days off (2 per week) and that definitely needs to stop.

I'm off on vacation from tomorrow for about 10 days - going back to New Zealand with my wife for the first time in over 3 years.  I can't wait and I'm definitely bringing my running shoes and planning to get in some good runs.

I missed getting my weekly inspire - it's good to have serendipity back!  Hope everyone and their families are well.

Edited by danielc 2009-03-31 2:36 PM
2009-03-31 2:48 PM

Master

Wow, the end of the month brought everyone out of the woodwork!  Great to see you all checking in.

Matt, it's frustrating, but hopefully the doctor will get you all fixed up and back to training soon.  It's great that you are still focusing on that sprint in August. 

Daniel, back to work! Don't make me come over there!   Enjoy your vacation.  It sounds wonderful.

2009-03-31 2:56 PM
in reply to: #2051188

Master
sdalessio - 2009-03-31 12:50 PM

That sounds like fun - you should do it.  Sleep is for the weak!  LOL

I'm excited about running through the Cherry Blossoms this weekend.  I've walked around the Tidal Basin in DC where most of the trees are before but the race goes by all the different locations and they should be at their peak.  My hubby and I are running together and are just going to enjoy the scenery.  :-)

Yeah, it's quarter end, so sleep is about to become a thing of the past anyway.  Might as well get used to it!

I hope you have good weather for your race.  It should be beautiful with everything blooming.  We're a couple weeks behind here, so no cherry blossoms yet, but my daffodils just started opening.  Spring is here for real.

2009-03-31 4:19 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-04-01 7:24 AM

Expert
Matt237 - 2009-03-31 1:26 PM

Hi Everyone, I know its been forever since I have posted.  I am still working some stuff out.  Looks like I am headed back to surgery for my knee.  Physical Therapist thinks I have what is called Cyclops Lesion on my new ACL.  Its causing pain and the inability to straighten out my leg.  It has been really frustrating because there are some exercises I just cant do. At least I feel like I know what the problem is now.  On the positive side I swam my first 400m without stopping.  So while my running ability is nonexistant my swimming is coming along.  Hope everyone is doing well.  I am still hoping to do my first ever sprint in August.  Even if i have to walk the run!

Oh ya, I turned 40 last week.  I am still not sure how that happened.  Wasn't I 31 last year?

Sorry about the knee.  I hope this surgery gets things worked out for the best.  Awesome job on the swim - I know how hard it is to make progress there.  Some of us aren't part fish like Bill.  ;-)

I'll look forward to reading that Aug. race report.  And Happy Belated 32nd Bday!!!!!!!!  :-)

2009-04-01 7:29 AM
in reply to: #2051795

Expert

serendipity - 2009-03-31 2:56 PM

Yeah, it's quarter end, so sleep is about to become a thing of the past anyway.  Might as well get used to it!

I hope you have good weather for your race.  It should be beautiful with everything blooming.  We're a couple weeks behind here, so no cherry blossoms yet, but my daffodils just started opening.  Spring is here for real.

Thanks - the weather is supposed to be lovely.  We have things blooming here like crazy which is very pretty but not helping my respiratory system.  I need my recovery week to come soon so I can get my garden in order.  I've got dead plants all over the place and seeds to get into the ground.

I hope the quarter end goes smoothly.  My brother-in-law works in an accounting dept. and he's pretty much chained to a desk 4 times a year.  :-)

BTW - I love the new pic.  I'm thinking about changing mine.  My husband took a pic of my daugther yesterday w/ her wearing one of his tri tshirts, nike running hat, gloves and running shoes.  It looked like Honey I Shrunk the Kids since everything was so big on her.  LOL

2009-04-01 8:16 AM

Champion
Brandon, MS
Matt237 - 2009-03-31 1:26 PM

Hi Everyone, I know its been forever since I have posted.  I am still working some stuff out.  Looks like I am headed back to surgery for my knee.  Physical Therapist thinks I have what is called Cyclops Lesion on my new ACL.  Its causing pain and the inability to straighten out my leg.  It has been really frustrating because there are some exercises I just cant do. At least I feel like I know what the problem is now.  On the positive side I swam my first 400m without stopping.  So while my running ability is nonexistant my swimming is coming along.  Hope everyone is doing well.  I am still hoping to do my first ever sprint in August.  Even if i have to walk the run!

Oh ya, I turned 40 last week.  I am still not sure how that happened.  Wasn't I 31 last year?

Nice work on the swim!  That's really tough to hear about the knee, though.  On the bright side, it may give you time to work on that swim even more.  They say the way to become a better cyclist is to become a better swimmer, and the way to become a better runner is to become a better cyclist.  I guess that's because the better you come out of the water or off the bike, the better the next leg goes.  There will be a way to keep up your fitness so when it's time to run again, you should be good to go.

2009-04-01 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2051732

Champion
Brandon, MS
danielc - 2009-03-31 2:32 PM

Happy 40th!  or happy 32nd part two.  Hope things work out OK with the knee.

I've also been bad about posting but I've been trying to read regularly and keep up with what everyone is up to.

March was so-so for me... motivation has flagged just a little and as a result my weight loss has slowed to a near halt.  I just need to give myself a kick in the backside and get going again - I can definitely see where I've slacked off.

I had some of my best runs and rides in March but also took too many days off (2 per week) and that definitely needs to stop.

I'm off on vacation from tomorrow for about 10 days - going back to New Zealand with my wife for the first time in over 3 years.  I can't wait and I'm definitely bringing my running shoes and planning to get in some good runs.

I missed getting my weekly inspire - it's good to have serendipity back!  Hope everyone and their families are well.

Heh... some friends of mine from college are actually coming back very soon from working over there for about 2 years.  I really wanted to go visit, but couldn't make the cost of a plane ticket work out.  Enjoy yourself!

2009-04-01 8:19 AM
in reply to: #2047186

Champion
Brandon, MS
53epilot - 2009-03-29 2:35 PM

Hey guys, I hope that everyone is having a great weekend.  I am finally relaxing at home after spending the last three days with family in Chicago (end of my son's Spring Break).  My training suffered a little bit, but mostly because of the head cold and a slight pain in my right leg that I am hoping is not shin splints.  I will be back at running tomorrow and will see if there is any pain.

Hope you all had a great weekend and for those that had races, that you ran a PR in every event.

Tried a run out yet?  Hope it's not shin splints.

2009-04-01 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2051188

Champion
Brandon, MS
Have a good one at Cherry Blossom, Samantha!  You deserve a nice 'enjoy the scenery' event after that awesome PR.
2009-04-01 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2053608

Master
sdalessio - 2009-04-01 8:29 AM

serendipity - 2009-03-31 2:56 PM

Thanks - the weather is supposed to be lovely.  We have things blooming here like crazy which is very pretty but not helping my respiratory system.  I need my recovery week to come soon so I can get my garden in order.  I've got dead plants all over the place and seeds to get into the ground.

I hope the quarter end goes smoothly.  My brother-in-law works in an accounting dept. and he's pretty much chained to a desk 4 times a year.  :-)

BTW - I love the new pic.  I'm thinking about changing mine.  My husband took a pic of my daugther yesterday w/ her wearing one of his tri tshirts, nike running hat, gloves and running shoes.  It looked like Honey I Shrunk the Kids since everything was so big on her.  LOL

The new avatar is for the April challenge I'm in.  (Although I might have to change it again because I think my team lost in March and we will have to make it marshmallow themed.)

You know, it took until your last race report to figure out who your husband was on BT.  Yes, I can be a bit slow on the uptake.

2009-04-01 10:08 AM

Expert

Yay he's a big forum kinda person so he's been on longer and posts more than I do.

We spy on each other too so one of us will say this person in my mentor group blah, blah, blah and I'll/he'll say of yeah I saw that.  LOL  It's fun to share the training and competing.

2009-04-01 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2054023

Master
sdalessio - 2009-04-01 11:08 AM

Yay he's a big forum kinda person so he's been on longer and posts more than I do.

We spy on each other too so one of us will say this person in my mentor group blah, blah, blah and I'll/he'll say of yeah I saw that.  LOL  It's fun to share the training and competing.

It sounds like fun, and it's impressive that you can both manage time to train with the kids.

2009-04-01 12:22 PM

Master

I wanted to share another swimming milestone.  This morning I did a 300, then a couple 200s.  My goal is to do a 500 in my first long swim in May, if not sooner.  I had a thought as I was doing a few 100s to finish up my workout.  When I started swimming at the beginning of February I was struggling to do 100 yards.  Now I get near the end of my time and think "Might as well knock out another 100 or two."

Then I get distracted by being all impressed with myself and forget I'm not supposed to inhale with my face in the water.  Embarassed

2009-04-01 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2054414

Expert

serendipity - 2009-04-01 12:12 PM

It sounds like fun, and it's impressive that you can both manage time to train with the kids.

We are so fortunate to live close to work and have flexible work schedules.  And my husband has access to a pool at work.  Still we do lots of early morning and late night workouts.  Plus we have wonderful family support for race days and we help each other by tag teaming with the kids.  Sometimes one is out the door as the other is coming in.  :-)

2009-04-02 10:21 AM

Regular

Hey guys,

Hope you are all having a great week of training and living the dream.  I am having a pretty decent week of training, even though I am not running.  The shins are starting to feel better (lots of ice, massage, heating pads, and research into shin splints).  I am starting to wonder if it really is shin splint or just a case of muscle pain close to the inner shin.   My calf is really tight after runs and during weight training and I am suspecting that it is just a sore muscle.  However, I am still not running this week (the eliptical machine and I have worked out a deal) and will start up again on Monday. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sesh's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 47