Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 137

2009-03-19 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2027239

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - FULL

Tide will make you and everyone else faster/slower so it is what it is.  I like the goggle tip from Kelli, just make sure not to do it with people behind ya or you might get dunked

For swallowing salt water, you want to avoid this it doesn't take too many gulps of that stuff and you'll be sick.  You should get comfortable 'filtering' air/water during your breaths without having to stop swimming because as Kelli said you will get salt water in your mouth at some point. You can do this in a pool, just don't roll your mouth completely out of the water when breathing and you'll get a mix of air/water. Spit water out underwater, enjoy air, repeat

Nicole83 - 2009-03-19 7:57 AM

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Buoyancy is good.

What about sighting?   Does the tide play a role in pace/speed?  Any good ways to avoid swallowing salt water?  What happens if my goggles leak?

I'm overthinking this, huh?

2009-03-19 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2027239

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!

Well, Mrs. Sassy-Pants!  WOW, at least now I feel like a super hero! 

I concur with my fellow BT posters on this matter, as they seem to have provided you with the sufficient data that you were seeking! (In the deep James Earl Jones - super hero voice)!

BTW, if you are not nicer to your fellow BT'er (me), I fully plan on blowing some snot-rockets at you & your hubby at the aid station during IMFL! Cool 

2009-03-19 2:04 PM
in reply to: #2028071

User image

Master
Houston

Save those babies for the wheel suckers! 

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-03-19 12:28 PM

BTW, if you are not nicer to your fellow BT'er (me), I fully plan on blowing some snot-rockets at you & your hubby at the aid station during IMFL! Cool 

2009-03-19 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2027459

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
evondo - 2009-03-19 10:17 AM

You can do this in a pool, just don't roll your mouth completely out of the water when breathing and you'll get a mix of air/water. Spit water out underwater, enjoy air, repeat

Okay, this totally makes me feel sick.  You mean I have to VOLUNTRAILY suck in water that baldy mcsmellypants in the lane next to me is swimming in and probably blowing snot in and peeing in, and let it sit in my MOUTH?

Hmmm... that's going to take some mental preparation.  But thanks for the tip.

2009-03-19 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2028071

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-03-19 1:28 PM

I concur with my fellow BT posters on this matter, as they seem to have provided you with the sufficient data that you were seeking! (In the deep James Earl Jones - super hero voice)!

Whose James Earl Jones? Innocent

2009-03-19 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2028366

User image

Okay, now you're just yanking my chain!  JEJ = Darth Frickin' Vader! There sponge-bob-young pants!  Don't you have some salt-water swim to be preparing for instead of picking on me! Cry

Nicole83 - 2009-03-19 2:25 PM

2009-03-20 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1856928

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

Happy Friday!

Anyone got any killer workouts planned for the weekend?

I did my long run yesterday so only have my long bike left.  I also want to do some running speedwork one day this weekend.

2009-03-20 8:28 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY

Happy Friday AND Happy First Day of Spring!!!! 

I'm starting to follow a structured training schedule (yay HIM training), and today is meant to be an off day but I've had a harder time than I thought getting back into the swing of things this week and didn't get in the workouts I thought I would, soooo I think I'm going to take a little dip in the pool this evening.  Just an easy, breezy swim to get my body moving.

Tomorrow is my long run and Sunday my long ride.  There's a tiny, tiny chance the weather just may be warm enough on Sunday to ride outside...fingers crossed.

2009-03-20 8:37 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

I just realized that your HIM is a month before mine... guess that means I need to start looking for a training plan too, huh?

What plan did you end up deciding to use?

2009-03-20 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2029652

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX

Good Morning all. 3 days of hanging out with the kids on spring break has been fun. I had an awesome swim this morning. There were actual moments when I would be swimming and realize I was just smoothly gliding and had lower effort than usual, then it would quickly pass once I thought about it. But that is a glimpse of hope. I am trying to work on keeping my arse from dragging in the water.

A Q for the ladies. I am looking for a bike for the wifey and was wondering how you found yours, you tallness and the size you have. I know I can go to my LBS but I would rather go the route of buying a used one (yeah I am cheap like that). Of course when I ask her if she wants a tri or a road the gives me the "What ever you think is best".

2009-03-20 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2028418

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX

To put a face with a name he was in Field of Dreams.

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-03-19 2:45 PM

Okay, now you're just yanking my chain!  JEJ = Darth Frickin' Vader! There sponge-bob-young pants!  Don't you have some salt-water swim to be preparing for instead of picking on me! Cry

Nicole83 - 2009-03-19 2:25 PM

2009-03-20 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2029902

User image

Master
Houston

That's awesome about the swimming, pretty common too most of my beginning friends say they have small moments where the feel everything click.  Will just take time and you'll feel that more often

So I'm not a lady but you might want to checkout some of the LBS's used selection that way you can make sure the bike fits correctly. Bike sizes don't translate directly to height and will vary based on brand.  I'm 5'11" and ride a 54cm Cervelo but if I switched to something else I'd probably be a 56, my first road bike was a 61cm which was obviously too big and caused me back pains. Guess the point is, just cause you can jump on the bike and pedal it doesn't mean it's a good fit for you, better fit = more enjoyable, more enjoyable = more riding

Newtons1st - 2009-03-20 9:59 AM

Good Morning all. 3 days of hanging out with the kids on spring break has been fun. I had an awesome swim this morning. There were actual moments when I would be swimming and realize I was just smoothly gliding and had lower effort than usual, then it would quickly pass once I thought about it. But that is a glimpse of hope. I am trying to work on keeping my arse from dragging in the water.

A Q for the ladies. I am looking for a bike for the wifey and was wondering how you found yours, you tallness and the size you have. I know I can go to my LBS but I would rather go the route of buying a used one (yeah I am cheap like that). Of course when I ask her if she wants a tri or a road the gives me the "What ever you think is best".

2009-03-20 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2029552

User image

Master
Houston

I got my long run out of the way this AM so I've got a 52mi bike ride tomorrow and an open water swim. I want to checkout how wearing my bike jersey underneath the wetsuit goes, has anyone ever done this?

Nicole83 - 2009-03-20 7:44 AM

Happy Friday!

Anyone got any killer workouts planned for the weekend?

I did my long run yesterday so only have my long bike left.  I also want to do some running speedwork one day this weekend.

2009-03-20 12:14 PM
in reply to: #2029902

User image

Master
New York, NY
Newtons1st - 2009-03-20 10:59 AM

I'll never forget the moment when I was swimming and everything clicked.  It was the best feeling!!  Congrats!

I'm 5'10" and ride a 54cm Cannondale.  Before deciding on my bike I probably test rode 6-8 different bikes.  I also tried a 56cm bike, which was too big and I didn't feel quite as comfortable on.  But as Eric said, sizes can vary based on the brand.

2009-03-20 1:48 PM

User image

I am finally enjoying a much needed day off from work... I had to put in a couple real early hours this morning, but now I am soaking up the last day of spring break.  My oldest son, turned 18 today...and we are all taking that in.  I am going to get a run in today (soon methinks)...it's nice and warm here today, so I will see how I feel.

A planned swim for tomorrow (and a bike), then a long bike again Sunday...

Bike jersey under a wet suit... I have not tried that, so can't offer anything there.  Tri top and tri suit has never ben a problem... but then again they are skin tight.

I hope y'all have a great weekend of training, socializing, family time or better yet... All three!

2009-03-20 7:41 PM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

Dear Girls rollerblading on the bike path,

I respect your commitment to fitness and your desire for exercise.  Even though it is clearly posted that the loop is a one way loop, I can even appreciate you not wanting to go the entire 7 miles around it and turning around early and therefore going the wrong way.

However, there are two things I can not understand.

One, the two of you taking up the ENTIRE path when you can plainly see a cyclist (who incidentally IS going the correct way) approaching and refusing to move over thereby forcing them off the path and into the gravel...

And two- this one more important, why you would think it intelligent to wear HEADPHONES while ROLLERBLADING on arguably the busiest bike path in freaking Tampa.  Understandably you probably do not want to hear cyclists yelling "hey moron, get the freak out of my way" at you... but you also can not hear those of us trying to tell you that we're approaching so that you don't jump 5 feet in the air, scream at the top of your lungs and crash firmly into us.

Please do not ever do either of these moronic things again.  If I crash again because of you, you will take a spoke to the heart and not live to tell about it.

Sincerely,

Your friendly neighborhood triathlete Suzy Sunshine  

2009-03-22 9:44 AM

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN
I agree with Kelli that you need to go out and ride a bunch of bikes.  When I bought my LeMond I tried a bunch of bikes until I found it.  Being comfortable on the bike is important for "riding longevity".  If she isn't comfortable on it she will stop ridding after a while then its money lost in the wind!!!  This is why I'm afraid of my BMC.  I have never ridden a BMC before but I bought one cause it was dirt dirt dirt cheap and based of the gemetry of my LeMond it "should" be good.  Just need to save up the 100 bucks for a good bike fitting now.
2009-03-22 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2031193

User image

NICE!  LMAO at your lovely way of putting it!  It is very frustrating - not so much rollerblader types here, but the group of runners on the paths - that run 4 and 5 a breast!  Then they get offended when you try to run around them... That is why I like to run through them...lil' shoulder block, snot rocket, kind word exchange...  How to make friends and influence fellow runners by the Intimidator Jr!

BTW, the spoke through the heart - nice touch!  D.A.R.E. to resist Violence! Laughing

Nicole83 - 2009-03-20 7:41 PM

I respect your commitment to fitness and your desire for exercise.  Even though it is clearly posted that the loop is a one way loop, I can even appreciate you not wanting to go the entire 7 miles around it and turning around early and therefore going the wrong way.

One, the two of you taking up the ENTIRE path when you can plainly see a cyclist (who incidentally IS going the correct way) approaching and refusing to move over thereby forcing them off the path and into the gravel...

And two- this one more important, why you would think it intelligent to wear HEADPHONES while ROLLERBLADING on arguably the busiest bike path in freaking Tampa.  Understandably you probably do not want to hear cyclists yelling "hey moron, get the freak out of my way" at you... but you also can not hear those of us trying to tell you that we're approaching so that you don't jump 5 feet in the air, scream at the top of your lungs and crash firmly into us.

Please do not ever do either of these moronic things again.  If I crash again because of you, you will take a spoke to the heart and not live to tell about it.

Sincerely,

2009-03-22 2:53 PM

User image

Master
New York, NY
Nicole83 - 2009-03-20 8:41 PM

Sincerely,

Oh no!!  I hope you're ok!  God damn rollerbladers!

I totally understand where you're coming from on this!  You wouldn't believe how many idiotic pedestrians walk around the Park Drive (the street/path that loops around Central Park) paying absolutely no attention to cyclists and runners.  It really is shocking.  I've had more than a handful of really close calls with idiots (all of which happened to be tourists for that matter) who saw me coming but thought they'd have enough time to dart in front of me to cross the street.  Really??!?!?!  Would it kill you to wait 5 whole seconds.  The solution hear....find your bike voice.  I might look like a nice, sweet cyclist who wouldn't hurt a fly but get in my path and you'll hear very loud & clear.....ON YOU'RE LEFT/RIGHT, HEADS UP, WATCH OUT, or if you me off OUT OF THE WAY!!!  Sure, you'll get some nasty looks, but better than a crash.

2009-03-23 8:10 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Congrats Eric and Betsy!
2009-03-23 8:12 AM

User image

Master
Houston

I love reading Kelli and your letters to people, training logs, AM workouts

We have a 1.2mi loop that is pretty much the only 'safe' place to ride in Houston during the week and it can become crazy with bikers/runners/rollerbladers too so I understand your frustration. Thankfully I've never crashed because of them but I did bump shoulders with a guy who tried to cut a corner last Thursday.. of course he had headphones on but I'm pretty sure he heard me screaming at him afterwards

Nicole83 - 2009-03-20 7:41 PM

Sincerely,

2009-03-23 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
I had a 2 terrible accidents this weekend. One on Saturday and one on Sunday. I ate a box of Do-si does each day. Those damn Girl Scouts. They are the devil.
2009-03-23 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2034071

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

Newtons1st - 2009-03-23 9:38 AM I had a 2 terrible accidents this weekend. One on Saturday and one on Sunday. I ate a box of Do-si does each day. Those damn Girl Scouts. They are the devil.

Okay, the way that reads just makes me giggle.  I would have tummy related accidents if I ate that many girl scout cookies this weekend... not sure what kind of accidents you're referring though.  Haha...

2009-03-23 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2034014

User image

Master
New York, NY

Nicole83 - 2009-03-23 9:10 AM Congrats Eric and Betsy!

x2!  SO EXCITING!!

2009-03-23 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2034071

User image

Master
New York, NY

Newtons1st - 2009-03-23 9:38 AM I had a 2 terrible accidents this weekend. One on Saturday and one on Sunday. I ate a box of Do-si does each day. Those damn Girl Scouts. They are the devil.

I LOVE GS cookies!!!!  I'm always torn whether my favorite is Thin Mints or Samoas.  YUM!!  I recently discovered Edy's (or Dryer's, depending on where you live) Limited Addition Slow Churn Samoa Cookie Ice Cream.  Do yourselves all a favor and go out and buy a few cartons immediately!!!!!  You'll thank me later.  Don't buy just one bc you never know when they're going to stop offering it, and you don't want to be left craving a dish of frozen heaven only to find you're going to have to wait a year for it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 137