BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-07-21 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2995478

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!

Thanks Kerry.  We need manatee cowbells...that would be cool.  Hmmm maybe I'll look into that.

That's funny about the kids and the lifeguards at the pool. It reminds me of this YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6tOzt-nfM

There's nothing wrong with running through a sprint.  It will give you a good chance to practice transitions and bricks and both are very important in racing.  This is your very first tri coming up isn't it??  I am so excited for you! 

2010-07-21 3:22 PM
in reply to: #2995517

User image

Regular
blackledge - 2010-07-21 4:10 PMThis is your very first tri coming up isn't it??  I am so excited for you! 

I am excited too... I think I should be a-skeered because I simply haven't trained enough, but I am super psyched!
2010-07-21 4:41 PM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
GAH! GAH GAH GAAAAAAHHHHH!

This last week has been so crazy but in the most awesome of ways.  We found a house.  Then it went under contract but they asked us if we wanted to put in an offer anyway so we did.  Then they said no.  Then a few days later they asked us to resubmit it.  Then they made us wait for two days before finally accepting it.  Now we have to bust our butts because they want to close on August 13th!

I really want to do the race on the 31st but I don't know if we can spare the money at the moment.  If we can I will but I probably won't know for a few more days.  And I haven't been in the water since my race in June so that should be interesting.  I'll keep you posted Ryan.
2010-07-21 4:46 PM
in reply to: #2995790

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Congrats Allison.  That sounds stressful yet awesome all at the same time!  I too am lacking training in July. I am hoping that this race will get my butt in gear for my 2 August races!  I too understand the cost as it's kind of expensive and you have the new house to worry about too.  It does come with a bike jersey though I think   And they said the cost to race rose by $10 if you registered after 7/17 but mine didn't.  Let me know if I can help out in anyway.
2010-07-21 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2995800

User image

Master
Vista, CA

BIG CONGRATS on the house, Allison. You'll be in time for the kids to start school, no? I'm sure it will be nice to be back in your own space with your own furniture, etc.

Ryan, you'll do fine. Just take it easy on the run and take walk breaks if you need to.

Kerry, you'll do awesome. I just hope you meant you're doing your mini-tri this Friday, not two days before your event, right?

I laugh everytime I see that Cliff tri swim commercial because that's exactly what it can feel like...not always, Kerry, so don't stress. If you're uncomfortable with the possibility of getting a little smack just stay at the back of the pack and to the outside.

2010-07-22 4:27 PM
in reply to: #2996044

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I think I have the flu. I felt horrible last night and was planning on coming into work for 1/2 day but my boss wouldn't let me leave.  Grrrr 
Luckily I had already scheduled to take tomorrow off but unfortunately it was because it's my wife's bday. Oh and the inlaws are already here and staying with us tonight (1100 sq. ft condo) and then my parents are coming this weekend. 
I may have to put training on the back burner due to illness and family but hopefully I'll feel better soon.  I hope that everyone's having a good day. 

Thanks for letting me complain

Have a nice weekend everyone!  Happy training!

Edited by blackledge 2010-07-22 4:29 PM

2010-07-22 10:05 PM

User image

Regular
Oh no, Ryan!  I hope it passes tonight and you are feeling much better in the morning.

Lynn, the swim is the part I am not afraid of.  Being 1 of 6 kids, I am used to jostling for positioning   The swim is also my favorite discipline.

I think I am going to change the order of my trial tri tomorrow, though.  I can't start my swim until 11, which would put my run at the height of the heat (supposed to reach over 100 tomorrow), so I will start with the bike, then run and end with the swim.  A modified tri
2010-07-23 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hey all, did you guys miss me???  I've been silently following along, but no posting.  DH is on nights and it sucks for all of us.  DD was also sick so we have been stuck in the house...and we have to be quiet because poor Daddy is sleeping and the baby is being a class I punk, whining constantly, and man I lost my sh*t yesterday.  So not feeling too chatty, but hey, nights are over and it's nice and hot here in Chicagoland, so things are looking up.

For my weekly marathon training complaint thought:  I thought I was putting in serious miles...on track to be well over 100 for the month and I read a thread where apparently you aren't serious unless you are grinding out close to 100 a WEEK.  Sigh.  It's ok, I don't particularly aspire to "seriousness" in my life.  I am shooting for hilarity and buffoonery mostly.  Now THOSE are some goals I can achieve...

Allison and Ryan, I REALLY want to get down there to see that south shore tri...anyone know where to pick up a nice cowbell?  Keep me up to date on your participant status.  Also if you go to packet pickup at Running Away, let me know, I'll come down and say hi.

Carla, I know I am supposed to tell you to marathon, but I am in a bad relationship with marathon training right now and I am longing for the days with Mr. Right (1/2 mary training) or HottSexx (triathlon training).

Kerry, I like the idea of a reverse trial tri...but I personally would just get in the pool and goof around...I have a hard time forcing myself to do anything but tea parties, handstands, and summersaults  even when swimming is my only workout for the day...if I was already hot and tired it would be all over.  Let us know how it goes...

Q

2010-07-23 5:44 PM

User image

Regular
Hey all!!  I am in an awesome mood today!

Q, welcome back, you were missed!

I am jealous that there are so many of you in Chicago, what great support!

So... I DID IT!!  Okay, okay, I know that you all are marathoners and HIM'ers, but I am a couch potato.  So this is BIG for me

I completed my training tri this morning. In 100 degree heat. I meant to start around 9, but forgot I had a conference call at 9:30, so I didn't get on the road until 10:15.

30K on the bike
4K running. Okay... mostly walking. It was efffing hot! 1K less than the tri, but I was running out of time.
1000 yards in the pool, which felt awesome because it really was so hot.

Then I treated myself to a pedi.

I feel like a million bucks. Bring on the Syracuse Iron Girl!!!

I only have 1 question for you all, you experienced folks, my running issue isn't my legs... it's my lungs.  I can't breath.  This is probably due to being an ex-smoker (smoked for 20 years), but I can't catch my breath even when I am doing low impact SUPER slow running.  Any advice?

Thanks!

K

Edited by kerryd 2010-07-23 6:45 PM
2010-07-24 12:48 AM
in reply to: #3001235

User image

Melon Presser
kerryd - 2010-07-24 6:44 AM Hey all!!  I am in an awesome mood today!

Q, welcome back, you were missed!

I am jealous that there are so many of you in Chicago, what great support!

So... I DID IT!!  Okay, okay, I know that you all are marathoners and HIM'ers, but I am a couch potato.  So this is BIG for me

I completed my training tri this morning. In 100 degree heat. I meant to start around 9, but forgot I had a conference call at 9:30, so I didn't get on the road until 10:15.

30K on the bike
4K running. Okay... mostly walking. It was efffing hot! 1K less than the tri, but I was running out of time.
1000 yards in the pool, which felt awesome because it really was so hot.

Then I treated myself to a pedi.

I feel like a million bucks. Bring on the Syracuse Iron Girl!!!

I only have 1 question for you all, you experienced folks, my running issue isn't my legs... it's my lungs.  I can't breath.  This is probably due to being an ex-smoker (smoked for 20 years), but I can't catch my breath even when I am doing low impact SUPER slow running.  Any advice?

Thanks!

K

YAAAAAAY! For being an ex-smoker. How long have you been quit? Do you ever have any kind of a smoke, or are exposed to second-hand smoke?

It took *years* doing endurance athletics for me to not be hacking and snorting CONTINUOUSLY during any kind of exertion.

I've actually struggled with picking up smoking again during my tenure as an endurance athlete. Most recently quit in November. Still hack a lot, especially during running. Then again, smoking is the national sport here, so I am constantly surrounded by a plume of secondhand smoke.

If you have insurance, you might want to see a doc and have an exercise stress test and lung function test ...
2010-07-24 1:08 AM
in reply to: #3001664

User image

Regular
YAAAAAAY! For being an ex-smoker. How long have you been quit? Do you ever have any kind of a smoke, or are exposed to second-hand smoke?

If you have insurance, you might want to see a doc and have an exercise stress test and lung function test ...

My DH still smokes, so I am exposed to it all the time.  I quit in Nov 2009 (not too long ago) and I was hoping that it would be out of my lungs by now. However, whenever I kick into a run, it's PAINFUL.

Okay kids, another reason not to smoke, as if you ever needed one. 

2010-07-24 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2994636

User image

Melon Presser
crews - 2010-07-21 11:49 PM Jellyfish sting are not fun.  I had to crack up at a fish biting your lip...sure it wasn't trying to kiss you?!?! 

Exotic black jellies and 2 headed monsters and sharks drafting...now that I'm all scared, I'll be sticking with the pool!

It's been in the upper 90s with no rain here for awhile.  It's nice at the lake on the weekends, but it's torture in the afternoons trying to ride.

I can't decide whether or not to do another full mary in March.  I'll do the 1/2 for sure, but the jury is still out on the full.  Any thoughts??

And lastly, I just made the yummiest smoothie...and I have no straw.  Daaaaaang!

Mary mary, you're on my mind ... the folks are gone and the place will be mine Mary, mary wanna be with you!

What's the rest of your season look like? What do the months before March look like?

If you have any kind of performance goal, look at it very, very critically. If you just want to participate in the event, have a blast, and love lots of running (!? heh), then the mary for sure.
2010-07-24 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2995790

User image

Melon Presser
thndrcloud - 2010-07-22 5:41 AM GAH! GAH GAH GAAAAAAHHHHH!

This last week has been so crazy but in the most awesome of ways.  We found a house.  Then it went under contract but they asked us if we wanted to put in an offer anyway so we did.  Then they said no.  Then a few days later they asked us to resubmit it.  Then they made us wait for two days before finally accepting it.  Now we have to bust our butts because they want to close on August 13th!

I really want to do the race on the 31st but I don't know if we can spare the money at the moment.  If we can I will but I probably won't know for a few more days.  And I haven't been in the water since my race in June so that should be interesting.  I'll keep you posted Ryan.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

And I really hope the race works out for you ...
2010-07-24 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2998710

User image

Melon Presser
blackledge - 2010-07-23 5:27 AM I think I have the flu. I felt horrible last night and was planning on coming into work for 1/2 day but my boss wouldn't let me leave.  Grrrr 
Luckily I had already scheduled to take tomorrow off but unfortunately it was because it's my wife's bday. Oh and the inlaws are already here and staying with us tonight (1100 sq. ft condo) and then my parents are coming this weekend. 
I may have to put training on the back burner due to illness and family but hopefully I'll feel better soon.  I hope that everyone's having a good day. 

Thanks for letting me complain

Have a nice weekend everyone!  Happy training!

Oh no! Manatee {{{MELON PRESS}}}

Hope you feel better and are surviving the weekend! Remember the important thing is to take care of yourself best you can while doing the important things

Training will always be waiting for you when you can come back to it.
2010-07-24 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2999610

User image

Melon Presser
quincyf - 2010-07-23 9:20 PM Hey all, did you guys miss me??? 

For my weekly marathon training complaint thought:  I thought I was putting in serious miles...on track to be well over 100 for the month and I read a thread where apparently you aren't serious unless you are grinding out close to 100 a WEEK.  Sigh.  It's ok, I don't particularly aspire to "seriousness" in my life.  I am shooting for hilarity and buffoonery mostly.  Now THOSE are some goals I can achieve...

Carla, I know I am supposed to tell you to marathon, but I am in a bad relationship with marathon training right now and I am longing for the days with Mr. Right (1/2 mary training) or HottSexx (triathlon training).

Of course I missed you. Wait what was your name again?

Don't listen to those serious people on threads. There are a number of ADVANCED marathon plans that call for no more than 50-55 mpw.

25 mpw is more than sufficient for a beginning marathoner.

Focus on the HIGH that long running gives ya ...
2010-07-26 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I still don't know if I'm racing this weekend but I am trying to get my training back on track.  To do so I need to figure out my gym/swimming situation.  I posted a poll on the tri talk forum to get opinions.  Unfortunately I thought it would be a good idea to allow people to add options and someone added "Buy a pool pass and run outside".

I can't run outside in the winter.  This is Chicago and it gets really nasty.  Even if I didn't break out in hives from the cold and didn't have asthma attacks from trying to breath the frigid air I still couldn't do it unless I didn't mind running on icy sidewalks in the dark since Hubs leaves before the sun comes up and comes home after the sun goes down and I'm not pushing the little dude in the jogger through the snow when its freezing outside.  I'm not just being a wuss about running outside.  I stay outside as long as I can in the fall and go out in the spring too early and end up having to cut runs short because of breathing issues. 

Please check my poll and give me an opinion that doesn't include running outside in January.  Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze.

So who raced over the weekend and how did it go?  What's everyone's training plan for this week?  I need a run today and hopefully a swim tomorrow.

2010-07-26 11:11 AM
in reply to: #3004673

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Thanks everyone for the "get well" wishes and advice.  I feel much better but I cannot get rid of this cough. I tried swimming yesterday but started coughing and it through me all. I basically took it easy all weekend in hopes that I would be healed by today. Grrrrr
The race this weekend could be very interesting due to my lack of training in July.  I plan on biking today if my coughing slows down a bit. I figured that might be a bit easier than running or swimming but we'll see.
I hope everyone else is doing well. 

Allison - I'll check out your poll and see if I can offer any advice. I like the new avatar pic of you.

Q - meeting up at packet pickup would have been good but I already did it up in Deerfield on Sat.

Kerry - Good to hear that your training went well on Friday and that you were in such a good mood afterwards!  That's an awesome feeling to have.  Sorry I don't have too much advice on lung capacity.
My wife (she never smoked) always had trouble breathing while running (she was never a natural runner). She started running and walking. So for example she would run 3 min/walk 1min, and then run 5/walk 1, or run 3min/walk 30 sec. She eventually decreased her walk time but tried not to decrease her run pace. I think this helped build up her lung capacity as she could breathe easier when she was walking.  And thus she trained her body to help her breathe better while running and not needing those long walk breaks.  Sorry that was a ramble...I hope it makes sense.  It not then I claim that I am still sick and thus cannot think straight Tongue out

Edited by blackledge 2010-07-26 11:18 AM
2010-07-26 1:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Hey all, I promise I have been reading to keep up, just no time to post.  Hope everyone is doing well.
I raced the NJ State Tri Olympic distance yesterday in some brutal brutal heat.  Race report can be seen in my race log ( I STILL don'tk now how to put a link in a thread... LOL)  

Laura 
2010-07-26 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3005183

User image

Regular
elbi999 - 2010-07-26 2:35 PM Hey all, I promise I have been reading to keep up, just no time to post.  Hope everyone is doing well.
I raced the NJ State Tri Olympic distance yesterday in some brutal brutal heat.  Race report can be seen in my race log ( I STILL don'tk now how to put a link in a thread... LOL)  

Laura 

Way to go Laura!!!  It was brutal all weekend, I can't believe you did an Oly.  You rock!
2010-07-26 2:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Those conditions sound really fierce.  You did a great job working your way through it and I'm just glad it wasn't me out there.  Rock on Manatee!

I have reoccurring blisters myself and I recently started to consider that it make be my socks.  I have a couple pairs of Danskin no-show socks that I wear and I can't recall having issues when I wear them.  The blisters seem to happen when I'm wearing my Champion no-show socks.  I've been testing the theory by only wearing the Danskin socks and I haven't blistered at all, although my volume is way down so I can't be certain.  Anyway, just a thought.
2010-07-26 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3005307

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
thndrcloud - 2010-07-26 2:13 PM Those conditions sound really fierce.  You did a great job working your way through it and I'm just glad it wasn't me out there.  Rock on Manatee!

I have reoccurring blisters myself and I recently started to consider that it make be my socks.  I have a couple pairs of Danskin no-show socks that I wear and I can't recall having issues when I wear them.  The blisters seem to happen when I'm wearing my Champion no-show socks.  I've been testing the theory by only wearing the Danskin socks and I haven't blistered at all, although my volume is way down so I can't be certain.  Anyway, just a thought.

I don't think my socks are the issue.  They are the same socks I have been wearing for almost 2 yrs- balega running socks.  They are excellent socks.  I am almost afraid to try new ones.  I did try an older pair of Nike running socks that I used to use this past week and blisters returned anyway.  I think the skin is just not having a chance to heal underneath.  i am going to try so Nu-skin tomorrow when I run and see what happens.  I can not afford to skip anymore runs with the HIM coming in less than 4 wks.   

2010-07-26 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3005183

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Way to pass that age grouper and stay ahead of her all of the way until the finish line Laura!  That took some work and determination especially in that heat!  Congrats on finishing the Olympic.
2010-07-26 6:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Thanks guys.  I am usually the one being passed so it was a good feeling to pass someone and stay in front of them to the finish line Smile
2010-07-27 9:36 AM

User image

Melon Presser
YAAAAAAAAAAY LAURA!!!!!!!!!! Way to HTFU. Wow. I know you're really concerned about your shoes, socks, blisters for the HIM ... but it WILL get sorted out and you WILL be fine. (FWIW I raced my HIM with an INFECTED blister between my little toe and 4th toe, and it worked out okay. I was in too much pain otherwise to notice, ha ha ha) No really ... it WILL work out.

Allison, will check on your running thread.

Ryan and Kerry ... just some personal info--I am the queen of coughing/hacking/getting over coughs/breathing during exercise blah blah blah. Aside from the smoking, I did some permanent damage to my respiratory system by running a marathon when I'd just been discharged from a hospital with bronchial pneumonia, sinusitis, ear infections (in both ears), tonsillitis and laryngitis. (I'm smart. I know everything to do because I've done everything NOT to do).

Sooo ... I rarely recommend stuff like supplements, it's just that it's been really helpful to me and I've heard from other people I've recommended it to time and time again that it's been helpful. In any case, it's one of those won't-hurt-you-might-help things. Here's the 411 on SELENIUM from the National Institutes of Health ...

Asthma

Preliminary research reports that selenium supplementation may help improve asthma symptoms. Further research is needed to confirm these results.

Bronchitis

Because selenium is proposed to have a role in immune function, selenium supplementation has been studied in patients with various infections. Some evidence suggests that selenium may promote recovery from bronchitis and pneumonia caused by respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). Though selenium may correct selenium deficiency in patients with bronchitis, more studies are needed to show its effectiveness in treating respiratory infections.

So, if you're interested, selenium. DV is 70, and for supplementation (or focus), 140-150 is recommended. FYI here's a table of selenium-rich foods (also from NIH, all this info is from NIH). FYI the tolerable upper limit is considered 400mcg/day:

Table 1: Selected Food Sources of Selenium [11]
FoodMicrograms
(μg)
Percent
DV*
Brazil nuts, dried, unblanched, 1 ounce544780
Tuna, light, canned in oil, drained, 3 ounces6395
Beef, cooked, 3½ ounces3550
Spaghetti w/ meat sauce, frozen entrée, 1 serving3450
Cod, cooked, 3 ounces3245
Turkey, light meat, roasted, 3½ ounces3245
Beef chuck roast, lean only, roasted, 3 ounces2335
Chicken Breast, meat only, roasted, 3½ ounces2030
Noodles, enriched, boiled, 1/2 cup1725
Macaroni, elbow, enriched, boiled, 1/2 cup1520
Egg, whole, 1 medium1420
Cottage cheese, low fat 2%, 1/2 cup1215
Oatmeal, instant, fortified, cooked, 1 cup1215
Rice, white, enriched, long grain, cooked, 1/2 cup1215
Rice, brown, long-grained, cooked, 1/2 cup1015
Bread, whole wheat, commercially prepared, 1 slice1015
Walnuts, black, dried, 1 ounce58
Bread, white, commercially prepared, 1 slice46
Cheddar cheese, 1 ounce46

2010-07-27 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3006987

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Ryan and Kerry ... just some personal info--I am the queen of coughing/hacking/getting over coughs/breathing during exercise blah blah blah. Aside from the smoking, I did some permanent damage to my respiratory system by running a marathon when I'd just been discharged from a hospital with bronchial pneumonia, sinusitis, ear infections (in both ears), tonsillitis and laryngitis. (I'm smart. I know everything to do because I've done everything NOT to do).

Yanti, my husband is an ER doc...working in an inner city hospital, he sees all manner of craziness.  One of my favorite stories is the guy who wanted to leave RIGHT NOW, but he was in a hospital gown...naked underneath of course.  

Instead of waiting for his discharge (and clothing), he simply made a break for it.  Sprinting down Division Street (in Bucktown...this will mean something to Allison and Ryan...very busy street with lots of shi shi bars, restaurants, and boutiques)...with his bare butt hanging out  wearing nothing but his hospital gown.

Somehow this is the image I have of you leaving the hospital for your marathon...perhaps pushing the still attached IV bag on a pole?!?

For those of you who want to know how it ended up...some debate was given to pursuing him, but they figured he wouldn't get too far so they just let him go...ER folks know how to pick their battles for sure...haha
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60