BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2010-08-08 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3029658

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: RE: Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED
slow turtle - 2010-08-07 7:27 PM Thanks guys.
Here is my race strategy for tomorrow...an believe me, I've actually put thought into this.

I will always be at the back of the pack. So, I can't really take myself too seriously. Therefore, I'm racing tomorrow as if I was a kid again, in honor of my 2 great uncles who I lost in the past year. These guys were always laughing and having fun. tomorrow, I'll race as if it's one big game of tag, I'll laugh an have fun, and not get stressed.
I'll let you  all know how it goes.

Have a great time Heidi.  Good luck. 

Brian

2010-08-08 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2775149

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Brian -- like Randy said, running is a funny thing; feel great one day, awful the next.  Heck, during a long run I'll go from feeling great one mile, to awful the next, to great the next.  Funny thing.  I find that the higher my volume is, the more this variability kicks in, and I really have to start letting my body dictate the pace on any given day.

Heidi:  Great plan!  I guess you're racing about now.  I hope you are laughing!

Mark:  Hang in there.  It sounds like you're dealing well with the injury.  Best of luck in your race.  I know it'll feel good to accomplish a longer distance. 
2010-08-08 2:45 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Finished another solid week of training with one, hopefully small, hiccup. Scheduled for a 10 mile easy run this morning-got about 3 miles out from the house and my right calf got really tight.  Not like a cramp but more of a strain.  Stretched it good but no better. So, I started the long walk home. Frustrating, but didn't want to make it worse. Hopefully, will be better in the next few days as I just signed up yesterday for an olympic distance race next Sunday.  Lots of time with "the stick" and foam roller in store for the calf this week.

My first 13 hour training week

Swim 10300 yards/ 4hr 2min

Bike 118.59 miles/ 6hr 15 min

Run 18.28 miles/ 2hr 43min    

Randy

2010-08-08 5:52 PM

User image

Expert
Hey guys-
The race this morning was great. I don't have splits yet, but my overall time was 5 minutes faster than last year. I think the swim and run were both slower this year, but I made up for it on the bike.
I did keep the spirit of having fun in a few ways. First, last year I had to walk 3 times on the bike. This year, each time I hit the top of those hills, I yelled, "Ha! I won!!"
The run was hard, and I knew it would be, because my training hasn't been sufficient for this course. SO, when running stopped being fun, I gave myself permission to walk a little. I was slowed down by the fact that I stopped to get sick twice during the run.

Full race report coming once I get official times.
~Heidi
2010-08-08 6:35 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Heidi-congrats on the race. Sounds like you stuck to the race plan of having fun. Although, having fun and getting sick don't seem to go together in my mind.   Looking forward to the race report!

Randy

2010-08-08 7:46 PM

User image

Expert
Official results are in. I did my best to provide balance to this group- and succeeded by coming in last in my age group

Oh well, still took 5 minutes off last years time. This year there were 40 people fewer than last year- So I'd like to think I wouldn't have done so bad if others had registered.

There were other small successes for me, and it's for a great cause. Race report to come, when I'm a little more rested.

2010-08-08 8:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Lousy week for training. I was out of town on business. The hotel I stayed  at had great facilities I just did not have time. I had a grand total of 2 hours of running, indoor bike snd swimming. I will try to get back at it tomorrow. From a positive outlook I guess I could call it a recovery week. : (

Phil
2010-08-08 10:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Nice race Heidi.  Does not matter how many people were in the race, that fact that you have a PB is fantastic.  Great job!

I just did my last endurance run before my next two races.  I believe my bike and run are ready for these two races.  Not sure about the swim though.  My training in the pool has been good, but the lack of OWS is what's going to hurt.  So for this Sunday's race I will take my time and not worry about time.  I will just take nice long strokes and find a rythm I'm confortable with and once I plant my feet down the race begins.  First race is flat for both bike and run.  I wont have a problem finding my pace for the run but not having race experience on the bike I don't know what speed my legs are ready for a 30K ride.  All my training have been on hilly routes so my avg speed is like a yo-yo. 

2010-08-09 7:39 AM
in reply to: #3030255

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
slornow - 2010-08-08 3:45 PM

Finished another solid week of training with one, hopefully small, hiccup. Scheduled for a 10 mile easy run this morning-got about 3 miles out from the house and my right calf got really tight.  Not like a cramp but more of a strain.  Stretched it good but no better. So, I started the long walk home. Frustrating, but didn't want to make it worse. Hopefully, will be better in the next few days as I just signed up yesterday for an olympic distance race next Sunday.  Lots of time with "the stick" and foam roller in store for the calf this week.

My first 13 hour training week

Swim 10300 yards/ 4hr 2min

Bike 118.59 miles/ 6hr 15 min

Run 18.28 miles/ 2hr 43min    

Randy

Wow... that's a great week of training, Randy... and I gather you would have had more on the run if it hadn't been for the injury.  Hope the calf issue clears up pronto!

[Edit so I don't use up lots of space]  Really interesting discussion going on in this thread (if you ignore some of the yadayadayada)... many questions I've had over the years being tossed about with some experts weighing in.  Very helpful as I'm retooling my routines for the Fall.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=221203&start=1

Stu

Edited by juneapple 2010-08-09 4:21 PM
2010-08-09 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
I chose my next race. It's the DACC print on Sept. 11. I id this one last year and it's much easier than yesterdays race.

Cool news: My 14 year old niece has asked me to help her train for it!This is really great because she's overweight and self conscious, but she seems motivated to do this race. She's nervous about the run, so I told her she can walk most of that if she needs to. (with 5 weeks to train, she'll need to.)

Any one else help a 14 year old train for their first tri? Any suggestions for keeping it fun, and letting her succeed? I think her goal is to finish- pace doesnt matter to her right now.
2010-08-09 9:36 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Heidi:  Great race!  PB means a lot more than AG placement, in my view.  And of  course being happy with how things went trumps all.  I think back to when you were injured and could barely train and the word that comes to mind is 'resilient'.  Way to go!

Sylvain:  Your swim fitness and ability are there.  Your strategy is good -- stay relaxed and do the swim you know you can do.

Randy:  That's a great week of training.  Very well balanced too.  Keep it up!  I'm also in the midst of a serious volume increase, and the biggest thing I've noticed is that I have to be much more flexible about when I go hard and not.  I can't just dictate that 'today I will run hard' or whatever.  I have to do what the body allows....  Also, sleep is your friend.

OK, I need to put a little 'proud moment' out there for a second:  I stepped on the scale yesterday (and today, just to be sure I wasn't hallucinating!) and I am now solidly below 140 (138 to be precise, but who's counting??).  It took a long time, but I told myself that I'd go out and buy some new clothes when I was convinced that I really am there.  So the kids and I did back to school shopping for them, and for Dad!  Now I don't have to wear a belt to hold my pants up!

2010-08-09 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3033468

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Experior - 2010-08-09 9:36 PM
OK, I need to put a little 'proud moment' out there for a second:  I stepped on the scale yesterday (and today, just to be sure I wasn't hallucinating!) and I am now solidly below 140 (138 to be precise, but who's counting??).  It took a long time, but I told myself that I'd go out and buy some new clothes when I was convinced that I really am there.  So the kids and I did back to school shopping for them, and for Dad!  Now I don't have to wear a belt to hold my pants up!

138? My right thigh weights 138. LOL It feels great getting a new wardrobe. All I had was baggy clothes and workout gear until last weekend. I had to buy new threads for a business trip. I know that "proud" moment. I looked REALLY GOOD. Cool

Phil

Edited by StlPhil 2010-08-09 10:06 PM
2010-08-09 10:29 PM
in reply to: #3033516

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2010-08-09 11:05 PM
Experior - 2010-08-09 9:36 PM

138? My right thigh weights 138. LOL It feels great getting a new wardrobe. All I had was baggy clothes and workout gear until last weekend. I had to buy new threads for a business trip. I know that "proud" moment. I looked REALLY GOOD. Cool

Phil

You must have had several rounds of readjusting clothing by now!  I remember the picture you posted a while back.  I don't think any belt could take care of that difference!

Don't sweat the 'off' week. It was recovery.  It's good for you.  Now get back to it!
2010-08-10 2:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Good ride this morning. I was at a local state park that is know for it's hills. I've been trying to ride it 2-3 times a week. When I started riding I had to walk most of the hills, but it has gotten easier over the last several month. I had gotten to the point were I could climb all the hills except for the one that local riders affectionately call "the beast." The "beast" has whipped me countless times. This morning I CONQUERED THE BEAST. I love break throughs. This one will open a lot of doors. Missouri is VERY hilly. I can't wait to ride routes I have avoided because of hills.

Phil
2010-08-10 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3033300

User image

Expert
slow turtle - 2010-08-09 9:03 PM  Cool news: My 14 year old niece has asked me to help her train for it! This is really great because she's overweight and self conscious, but she seems motivated to do this race. She's nervous about the run, so I told her she can walk most of that if she needs to. (with 5 weeks to train, she'll need to.)

Any one else help a 14 year old train for their first tri? Any suggestions for keeping it fun, and letting her succeed? I think her goal is to finish- pace doesn't matter to her right now.

That is the best thing I've heard all week... just plain love it!  No advice except to keep on doing whatever you're doing... obviously she adores you... just keep it fun and tell her plenty of people on your tri-board walk during the run, even after they've been doing tris for awhile and that it's okay to walk the bike on the hill too.  All that matters is that you smile alot, especially at the water stops!

Congrats Heidi :-)

Stu
2010-08-10 5:40 PM
in reply to: #3035222

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2010-08-10 3:23 PM Good ride this morning. I was at a local state park that is know for it's hills. I've been trying to ride it 2-3 times a week. When I started riding I had to walk most of the hills, but it has gotten easier over the last several month. I had gotten to the point were I could climb all the hills except for the one that local riders affectionately call "the beast." The "beast" has whipped me countless times. This morning I CONQUERED THE BEAST. I love break throughs. This one will open a lot of doors. Missouri is VERY hilly. I can't wait to ride routes I have avoided because of hills.

Phil

Way to go!  Being able to embrace hills opens lots of doors for great training rides.

2010-08-10 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3033300

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slow turtle - 2010-08-09 9:03 PM I chose my next race. It's the DACC print on Sept. 11. I id this one last year and it's much easier than yesterdays race.

Cool news: My 14 year old niece has asked me to help her train for it!This is really great because she's overweight and self conscious, but she seems motivated to do this race. She's nervous about the run, so I told her she can walk most of that if she needs to. (with 5 weeks to train, she'll need to.)

Any one else help a 14 year old train for their first tri? Any suggestions for keeping it fun, and letting her succeed? I think her goal is to finish- pace doesnt matter to her right now.

I haven't done that, but wow, that's really cool.

I'm teaching my kids to run, and finding it really challenging to find the right balance between 'this is fun' and 'don't stop -- you can keep going'.  Obviously I don't force march them or treat them like army recruits, but at the same time, I think that many people need to learn what kind of discomfort is normal and just part of the process.  I have found that one of the more successful strategies is to let them know that you understand how they feel, and it's OK -- you feel that way too (tired, legs hurt, whatever).  And at the end, definitely encourage them to revel in their accomplishment. 

But it sounds like you already have a great relationship with her, so I'm guessing that if you follow your instincts you'll be great.

The one practical thing I'd say is to really focus on being sure she is comfortable on the swim.  You can't 'fake' that part.  If she's uncomfortable on the swim, I'd work on some 'survival' tactics with her (flipping on back, floating, treading water, staying away from the pack, etc.).
2010-08-10 6:22 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Wow-lots of good stuff going on.

Phil-I think we have all encountered "a beast" of our own at some point.  Pushing through/past our limitations is one of the great things about the sport.  So many opportunities to back off and just say "its too hard" or "I can't."  You have certainly conquered many obstacles in your journey. Congrats on being able to scratch another one off the list.

Heidi-should be alot of fun getting her ready for the triathlon. Agree with Michael on working on the swim.  My first OWS was beyond miserable.  Keep it fun for her and she will soak it all in and be anxious for more.  I suspect you will get as much out of it as she does.    Who knows, this may be the first step toward becoming a professional coach!!

Randy

2010-08-10 7:09 PM

User image

Expert
Michael and Phil! Great job on the weightloss!

I hope  buying new clothes was a fun experience!

I took today off from training- my right foot is really sore and pretty swollen.

Heidi
2010-08-11 6:38 AM
in reply to: #3035731

User image

Expert
Just an article on Google's foray into biking routes:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/08/15/travel/15Prac.html

Stu
2010-08-11 6:44 AM
in reply to: #3036258

User image

Expert
One other thought Heidi depending on how the training goes for you and your niece is to consider a relay team effort... maybe she has a friend who is a swimmer or cross-country runner, etc.  It's an option we have at all our local races, I'm presuming that's fairly common everywhere.  I almost talked my daughter and father-in-law into a multi-generational tri relay team one time... so a family approach is another alternative (maybe to get your husband or your nieces' parents to tri it out).

Stu

2010-08-11 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3036271

User image

Master
South Alabama

juneapple - 2010-08-11 6:44 AM One other thought Heidi depending on how the training goes for you and your niece is to consider a relay team effort... maybe she has a friend who is a swimmer or cross-country runner, etc.  It's an option we have at all our local races, I'm presuming that's fairly common everywhere.  I almost talked my daughter and father-in-law into a multi-generational tri relay team one time... so a family approach is another alternative (maybe to get your husband or your nieces' parents to tri it out).

Stu

Stu-that's a great idea. Allows her to race but not be overwhelmed by having to complete the distance in each sport. Certainly, easier to prepare for.  She could train for all three but focus on the leg she would do.

Randy

2010-08-11 11:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario

Well this week is not going as planned.  Work is crazy, my two year old is having night terrors and I'm sleep deprived.  Also today on my bike workout something funny going on with my front derailer, maybe it's the rear.   It occasionaly feels like it's trying to change gear (only feels but I don't hear the chain moving) or spinning in dead air.   Don't know if it was just me but it felt like the bike was slowing down much faster then normal( I checked tire pressure and if brake pads touching wheel) , again could be me being a little tired.

Well better get to bed have another long day at work.

2010-08-12 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Hang in there Sylvain.  Get good sleep if you can!  Parenting is hard...

I'm headed for the mountains this weekend -- hoping to get in a hard long ride, but I'm going to help out my sister's family, so we'll see whether I can get away.
2010-08-13 5:44 AM

User image

Expert
Sorry to hear about the tough week Sylvain. I hope your little one has peaceful sleep soon.

The relay idea is a great thought. We're going to the pool tonight, so I'll talk to her about it there. And, her grandfather is a great cyclist, (who hasn't ridden much in the past few years) so we might be able to convince him to get back on his bike.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40