BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2010-10-05 10:41 PM
in reply to: #2778561

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED
Okay, a half way serious post if I'm capable.

So, I just purchased the Kinetic Road Machine trainer with the Cateye Cadence computer and a riser block.  I think I'm set with what I need to get started???  I didn't go for the wattage computer yet...thought the cadence, speed, etc. would be enough for now.  I'm way excited to get that probably early next week.  Question - especially for Denise - what DVD Spinevils should I think about???  I noticed there are a few and at $25 bucks or so a pop I wanna have a recommendation?  I know others are using these too, so what do you all think?  I've seen the triathlon packs and singles....so lots to choose from.  I may be buying a treadmill soon....so maybe that will open some other doors too???

Okay, there's the half serious post...pretty good for me - huh!!!!

I also met a guy today that just got done running the KY IM - his first IM.  He's the husband of one of my girl's preschool teachers.  I've been talking to her about his training off and on...but really cool that tonight I met him.  He was so cool and chatty...loved the conversation and he was so inspiring...and he didn't minimize in any way what I've been doing - he was very supportive.  He was describing when his lower body kind of shut down on the last 12 miles of the bike...He was very well trained but thinks he may have screwed up the nutrition and just started cramping severely where the triangular muscle on the inside just above the knee part of the quad was bulging out and locked up....man hearing him describe it sounded excruciating then the dude ran/walked the marathon....Amazing!!!  This guy was 4th out of the water in his age group (40-44)!!!  Blinding swimmer!  I need him as a coach!!!  There are some really amazing people out there.

I heard something said recently that has really resonated with me.

When you meet someone remember to treat them as if they could be your very next best friend...... 

I love that thought... can you imagine if we all behaved like that???? 

2010-10-07 7:19 PM

User image

Expert
Man, that WOULD be an amazing change in the world, Wilson! Love the saying! And how very cool to have met and chatted with another local tri buff-- so glad you guys enjoyed hanging out and talking triathlon.

I picked up 3 Spinervals DVDs at the Chicago Tri expo (they were on sale, yay!): the Aero Base Builder (a great 80-minute workout that does what it says), a recovery & technique DVD (that I should probably use more often-- it works on things like one-legged spinning drills), and a hard-intensity workout called Suffer-O-Rama (that also does exactly what it says: LOTS of sprinting intervals, oof!). I really enjoy them and would love to get more...we'll have to see about Christmas ideas!

I've also heard there are podcasts one can download from Sufferfest; I've not tried them yet, though.

Excellent that you got a bike computer with your trainer: I've managed to hook up my Garmin so I can see it while I pedal; it's amazing what keeping track of cadence etc. can do, I find. Enjoy the new variety of suffering! Laughing
2010-10-07 7:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the thoughts and well wishes for my grandfather you all sent via "inspires". Sadly, he passed away this afternoon. I am waiting for my mom to call with details on the funeral arrangements - I'll likely be traveling back to WI sometime next week for the service.
2010-10-08 4:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL
Marsha, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.  It's very sad to lose a grandparent.  I've been there several times.  Unbelievably I still have one grandma left.  She is 99 years old.  Will be 100 in March! 
2010-10-08 4:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL
Does anybody know what channel is covering the Ironman Kona event tomorrow?  And maybe what time?
2010-10-08 5:44 PM
in reply to: #3139647

User image

Expert
PTWykes - 2010-10-07 7:27 PM Thanks for the thoughts and well wishes for my grandfather you all sent via "inspires". Sadly, he passed away this afternoon. I am waiting for my mom to call with details on the funeral arrangements - I'll likely be traveling back to WI sometime next week for the service.

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Marsha. You and your family are in my thoughts!

Alex

2010-10-08 9:58 PM
in reply to: #3141816

User image

Extreme Veteran
As for Ironman coverage, I couldn't find any on actual TV, but Ironmanlive.com will have continuous live coverage.

Sorry to hear about your loss Marsha. Hope you are doing OK. 
2010-10-09 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3142141

User image

Extreme Veteran
Trainer question: I just tried out my new (used) mag trainer. I love it, except that the bike doesn't seat exactly level in it; the quick-release hub makes it tilt slightly to the right. Those of you that use trainers, is there some trick to getting it level, or some alternate part I need?
2010-10-11 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3142746

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
tstl - 2010-10-09 4:15 PM Trainer question: I just tried out my new (used) mag trainer. I love it, except that the bike doesn't seat exactly level in it; the quick-release hub makes it tilt slightly to the right. Those of you that use trainers, is there some trick to getting it level, or some alternate part I need?

I have a Kinetic Road Machine, but imagine they are all about the same.  I had to switch-out a special piece that was included to handle the quick release side.  The piece on the left that holds the quick release side of the wheel has a large slot in it to fit around the quick release mechanism.  The also included a new bolt/quick release for my bike to specially fit their slotted connector - my stock quick release would not have worked with their piece.  I may have just confused the situation??????  I can take a picture for you if you'd like.  

found a pic on the web

2010-10-11 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3142746

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
tstl - 2010-10-09 4:15 PM Trainer question: I just tried out my new (used) mag trainer. I love it, except that the bike doesn't seat exactly level in it; the quick-release hub makes it tilt slightly to the right. Those of you that use trainers, is there some trick to getting it level, or some alternate part I need?

I have a Kinetic Road Machine, but imagine they are all about the same.  I had to switch-out a special piece that was included to handle the quick release side.  The piece on the left that holds the quick release side of the wheel has a large slot in it to fit around the quick release mechanism.  The also included a new bolt/quick release for my bike to specially fit their slotted connector - my stock quick release would not have worked with their piece.  I may have just confused the situation??????  I can take a picture for you if you'd like.  

found a pic on the web

2010-10-11 9:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ah, it's all starting to make sense now. I'll have to see if those parts are available for mine when I get home. Thanks!

2010-10-16 5:42 PM
in reply to: #3146320

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
          I rode my bike today..... that is all.

sdf
2010-10-16 7:08 PM

User image

Veteran
LOL Hilde!

How's everyone been? I'm doing well. Had a good Mommy day today hanging out with the kids Tomorrow is posing practice and project "clean out the playroom" - gotta make room for the new incoming stash: Easton's birthday in less than 2 weeks, Christmas, and Rya's birthday in February. Going to take all the stuff we have "outgrown" to the local charity/second hand store for donation

2010-10-17 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3155953

User image

Extreme Veteran
hildekq - 2010-10-16 3:42 PM           I rode my bike today..... that is all.

sdf

Congratulations!! Is it true what they say? (That you don't forget how?
2010-10-18 4:57 AM
in reply to: #3156951

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Yes, it is true!!  I usually feel a little wobbly on the aerobars if I've been off my bike for awhile, but everything just felt great!  I'm hoping to get out again today after school...
2010-10-18 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
So glad to hear you've been out on the bike, Hilde! I must confess I've not yet worked up the courage to try my aerobars out on the road...any tips for a newbie?

The conference was great, and I got to spend time in a city I love (I used to live in Montreal) and thus rediscover favourite places. My dad's tests were done last week, and he'll be seeing a doctor this week to find out what (if anything) they know, so we're all still waiting... which SUCKS, but it seems to be good for my training! Laughing

Marsha, I'm glad to hear you had such a lovely time with your kids! Clearing out old toys to make room for upcoming birthdays is useful on a number of fronts: you get more space (temporarily), and your kids get the pleasure of giving things to those who need them. A win all round!

Hope everyone else is doing well as fall wends its way onwards!

2010-10-18 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3158896

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I don't know that I have any aerobar tips Alex... I just love being aero all the time.   Huge semis buzzing by me, cars, motorcycles, huge ginormous hills where I'm going 35+ mph, nothing seems to bother me.  I just go aero and claim my little piece of the road and go for it.  Of course I haven't had a major crash, so I may be a bit over-confident... (gosh, hope I didn't just jinx myself!)

Once you go AERO you'll never go back.... or so they say.
2010-10-18 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3159082

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
I was interested in putting aero bars on my roadie....but I understand that the geometry setup would have to be altered to get the right position on the aero bars....So then my roadie position would be messed up??????  So I guess I'll just stick with the roadie setup.....maybe a special seat post will do the trick dunno...Maybe I just need a sexy tri bike...but 3k++ is hard to swallow.  eeek.

Since I've sold my BMW - I need speed somewhere in my life..haha. 

Edited by wsilverthorne 2010-10-18 8:49 PM
2010-10-19 5:11 AM
in reply to: #3159300

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Hey Wilson, this is a good time of year to find some bike bargains... I bought my 2008 bike in 2009 for about $500 off.  It's aluminum, but it's still sexy as hell.  $1400!  I had aerobars on my road bike, but it don't think I as any more aero than being in the drops, although it was a lot more comfortable to ride on the aero bars. 
2010-10-19 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Wilson, You could take your roadie to a bike shop that does fittings and have them see what they can do.  Look for someone that is certified to do fittings.  They measure all sort of angles and use video and computer graphics to make sure the geometry is right.  Of course if you want a new bike, I agree with Hilde, shop the deals!
2010-10-20 5:50 PM

User image

Expert
x2 on both Hilde's and Janet's posts, Wilson-- I got my LBS to fit my aerobars on my roadie, and they make a HUGE difference on long trainer rides already. And right about now is indeed the time to shop for deals... just in case, don't you know!

2010-10-24 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3160226

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
jcarmody - 2010-10-19 12:06 PM Wilson, You could take your roadie to a bike shop that does fittings and have them see what they can do.  Look for someone that is certified to do fittings.  They measure all sort of angles and use video and computer graphics to make sure the geometry is right.  Of course if you want a new bike, I agree with Hilde, shop the deals!

Good idea...I had my bike professionally fitted a while back...I should investigate it again to see what happens...I guess I could always set it back if I don't like it.  I mentioned getting a new ride to the wife and the look I got didn't express...."Great idea hun...go out and treat yourself....."  Ha Ha...Maybe I'll book a few more weddings next year that will finance one. 
2010-10-24 8:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
I like this hat....it simply says " I'm a $hithead"...sweet and simple.  I could add some butyric acid to the pile and it would be excellent!!!!  I'm feeling snacky...I should probable go to bed ..... bad time of night for a snacky.  But, sounds good.  Poor Marsha is probably eating fish right now...UGH....

2010-10-24 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Is it hard plastic? Could you wear it as your bike helmet - LOL! Nope, no fish for me this late...I was practicing, practicing, practicing my routine for the past hour! All my fish IS prepped for tomorrow though
2010-10-24 9:07 PM

User image

Expert
LOL! Boy, do I know some people who're probably the original models for that hat...Laughing

Way to hit the practice button hard, Marsha! Hope the fish you've prepared for tomorrow is tasty-- I had baked salmon yesterday that was delicious... and hey, at least it's not egg whites, right?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41