BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2011-03-11 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3392997

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED
JBougher - 2011-03-10 9:34 PM

I generally get 7hrs a night.  My back doesnt like me to sleep more than that.  I definitely need a new mattress.

good run today.  Off to Germany tomorrow.

Sehr schön. Gute Reise und nicht zu viel trinken Bier!

2011-03-11 9:04 AM
in reply to: #3271048

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
Bad week this week. Only got three short workouts in. I normally get about 6 -7 hrs of sleep. Hope everyone has a good weekend. This is not a question of the day but I was wondering if I was strapped for time on the long rides if it's ok to do a high Intense workouts to replace it. Like big ring kinda stuff. Then come race day drop down. That way my legs would have the strength to last at a higher rpm
2011-03-11 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3393501

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

mpdiotte - 2011-03-11 7:04 AM Bad week this week. Only got three short workouts in. I normally get about 6 -7 hrs of sleep. Hope everyone has a good weekend. This is not a question of the day but I was wondering if I was strapped for time on the long rides if it's ok to do a high Intense workouts to replace it. Like big ring kinda stuff. Then come race day drop down. That way my legs would have the strength to last at a higher rpm

Probably much better than doing nothing!

So far I'm on track to complete all my workouts this week. I'll do a short (30 minutes) run after work then the lady and I are going out for dinner tonight. Saturday: 1.5 hr. bike, 1.5 hr. run. Sunday: 2.5 hr. run. My legs are definitely feeling a little fatigued from all the running. I did an hour on the treadmill last night after a good swim and just didn't have much power. Sweat rate seemed up, legs were tight. Need to stretch!

Okay here's a QOTD - I saw a Q&A from Lava magazine with Jordan Rapp today. I can't exactly put my finger on it but there's something about that guy that I admire the hell out of. Really smart, really talented, and a real class-act. So, do you have a triathlon or endurance sports "hero/role model"? Who and why?

2011-03-12 3:18 AM
in reply to: #3393403

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
sbsmann - 2011-03-11 9:32 AM

JBougher - 2011-03-10 9:34 PM

I generally get 7hrs a night.  My back doesnt like me to sleep more than that.  I definitely need a new mattress.

good run today.  Off to Germany tomorrow.

Sehr schön. Gute Reise und nicht zu viel trinken Bier!

I'll second that!

Jamie
2011-03-12 3:21 AM
in reply to: #3393737

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
dhopman - 2011-03-11 11:42 AM

mpdiotte - 2011-03-11 7:04 AM Bad week this week. Only got three short workouts in. I normally get about 6 -7 hrs of sleep. Hope everyone has a good weekend. This is not a question of the day but I was wondering if I was strapped for time on the long rides if it's ok to do a high Intense workouts to replace it. Like big ring kinda stuff. Then come race day drop down. That way my legs would have the strength to last at a higher rpm

Probably much better than doing nothing!

So far I'm on track to complete all my workouts this week. I'll do a short (30 minutes) run after work then the lady and I are going out for dinner tonight. Saturday: 1.5 hr. bike, 1.5 hr. run. Sunday: 2.5 hr. run. My legs are definitely feeling a little fatigued from all the running. I did an hour on the treadmill last night after a good swim and just didn't have much power. Sweat rate seemed up, legs were tight. Need to stretch!

Okay here's a QOTD - I saw a Q&A from Lava magazine with Jordan Rapp today. I can't exactly put my finger on it but there's something about that guy that I admire the hell out of. Really smart, really talented, and a real class-act. So, do you have a triathlon or endurance sports "hero/role model"? Who and why?

I really don't have one but I'm interested in them all. Having seen a lot of them hanging out at Lava Java in Kona over the times I've been there, my opinion is Faris Al-Sultan and Chrissie Wellington seem the nicest of the bunch. I do like Macca's attitude though.
Jamie
2011-03-12 3:45 AM
in reply to: #3393501

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
mpdiotte - 2011-03-11 10:04 AM

Bad week this week. Only got three short workouts in. I normally get about 6 -7 hrs of sleep. Hope everyone has a good weekend. This is not a question of the day but I was wondering if I was strapped for time on the long rides if it's ok to do a high Intense workouts to replace it. Like big ring kinda stuff. Then come race day drop down. That way my legs would have the strength to last at a higher rpm

The basic equation you have to try to solve in your question is:

Volume X Intensity = training stimulus.

So, if you don't have the time to go long, you have to go hard. You have to figure out how to best 'solve' the equation for your personal situation. There are times that you have to go long though just to get the time in the saddle.

I do have a bit of a problem with what you wrote. I believe that each person needs to spin at their self-selected rpms'. Trying to maintain some uncomfortably high cadence that isn't natural is VERY aerobically taxing. It sounds as if you plan on racing at an unnaturally (for you) high cadence. If so, I think this is a bad idea. If you want to focus on a 'measure' during the race/training then I would monitor power/HR and not cadence. Cadence was really popularized by Armstrong in the 90's but it is not the gold standard of how to do it. Jan Ulrich, Andreas Kloden and Chrissie Wellington among others did just fine as low cadence mashers.

Also, the 'intensity' part of the equation should be based on HR/Watts and not gearing as you suggest in your question.

For example. This is an early season ride I would do for HIM prep. This would be a total of a 3 session that I would equate to about 4 hours of actual riding b/c of the intensity in the session. Note that a full hour is at FTP/Z4-5. These are all out gut buster, gotta vomit, intense intervals. Another hour is riding at my desired HIM pace (85%FTP/Z3) and the other hour is somewhere between 70-80%FTP/warm up/cool down. Only 10' would be what most people call (z1 easy) which is just recovery from a very, very intense hour.

All in aero:
Warm Up: 20' @ 70%FTP/z2/ IM pace
Main Set:4 x 15' (3') @ FTP/z4-5,
10' Easy
3 x 20' (5') @ 80-85%/ z3 HIM pace
Remainder of ride time is @80%/z2
5' cool down

So, the rule of thumb is that if you can't go long, you gotta go hard. REAL hard as measured by FTP power or Z4/Z5 work not gearing. If you want to do big gearing that is fine but measure intensity by HR/Watts.
There is no equation to say that, for example, 15 minutes at Z5 = 45 minutes at Z2. You just have to try to judge that for yourself. If you had a powermeter and the right software it would be easy to do but with a HRM you have to go on feel.

Hope this helps,
Jamie

Edited by jamiej 2011-03-12 3:48 AM

2011-03-13 2:02 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

AQOTD: I'm a big fan of Chrissie Wellington mainly bc she embodies what the sport is all about not only with her amazingly great attitude, but also her work ethic and professionalism.  Oh, yeah, and not to mention one hellava athlete who dominates the sport it's almost unbelievable.

Today I did 90 minutes on the ole trainer and also decided to do a sweat test which I haven't done yet on the bike.  Only lost .2 of a pound and consumed 48 total ounces of water.  I used this calculator (http://www.triharder.com/THM_SwRate.aspx) and it came up with a rate of about 34oz per hour.  For whatever reason, it seemed like I didn't sweat as much as usual, so I'll continue doing these tests with different distances and workloads.  I am happy to see that two full bottles of water over 90 minutes seemed pretty good for me.

2011-03-13 4:42 PM
in reply to: #3395689

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
sbsmann - 2011-03-13 3:02 PM

AQOTD: I'm a big fan of Chrissie Wellington mainly bc she embodies what the sport is all about not only with her amazingly great attitude, but also her work ethic and professionalism.  Oh, yeah, and not to mention one hellava athlete who dominates the sport it's almost unbelievable.

Today I did 90 minutes on the ole trainer and also decided to do a sweat test which I haven't done yet on the bike.  Only lost .2 of a pound and consumed 48 total ounces of water.  I used this calculator (http://www.triharder.com/THM_SwRate.aspx) and it came up with a rate of about 34oz per hour.  For whatever reason, it seemed like I didn't sweat as much as usual, so I'll continue doing these tests with different distances and workloads.  I am happy to see that two full bottles of water over 90 minutes seemed pretty good for me.

Keep on checking it. Especially as the temperatures get warmer. They will get warmer right? Right?

Jamie
2011-03-13 11:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Yes Jamie - things will definitely warm up!

Got in a 2.5 hour/17.7 mile run today, and nearly 50 running miles on the week. My feet are super pissed at me...I'm asking them to HTFU but they are resisting. Luckily not much running planned for this coming week - it's a 14 hour week with 11 of those spent on the bike. Yowsers! I better start downloading more podcasts to keep myself entertained.

2011-03-14 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3396256

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

Computer got a cold over the weekend (Virus) - and I was just able to get it back to normal this morning. 

This was a recovery week for me and I took advantage!! Today is an off day but with warmer weather headed this way I feel a good week comining on!  Wife got a cold saturday/sunday and still felt like crap this morning so took a little vitamin C this morning and hoping it doesnt migrate my way.

AOTD - I need my beauty sleep - I usually get 8-9.  I too seem to get upstairs between 8-9 and I can fall asleep pretty quickly.  I do tend to get up between 5:45 and 6 and with having all my stuff ready to go can be out the door for workout quickly.  I almost alsway do work outs in the morning. 

AOTD - Not a fan of any one athlete - most likely because I have yet to read up or watch any of them in great detail. 

2011-03-14 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3396256

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
dhopman - 2011-03-14 12:33 AM

Yes Jamie - things will definitely warm up!

Got in a 2.5 hour/17.7 mile run today, and nearly 50 running miles on the week. My feet are super pissed at me...I'm asking them to HTFU but they are resisting. Luckily not much running planned for this coming week - it's a 14 hour week with 11 of those spent on the bike. Yowsers! I better start downloading more podcasts to keep myself entertained.

Nice work Dave. 50mpw is the pointy end of IM running weekly mileage IMO.

Jamie

2011-03-14 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3396520

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
wallico - 2011-03-14 9:26 AM

Computer got a cold over the weekend (Virus) - and I was just able to get it back to normal this morning. 

This was a recovery week for me and I took advantage!! Today is an off day but with warmer weather headed this way I feel a good week comining on!  Wife got a cold saturday/sunday and still felt like crap this morning so took a little vitamin C this morning and hoping it doesnt migrate my way.

AOTD - I need my beauty sleep - I usually get 8-9.  I too seem to get upstairs between 8-9 and I can fall asleep pretty quickly.  I do tend to get up between 5:45 and 6 and with having all my stuff ready to go can be out the door for workout quickly.  I almost alsway do work outs in the morning. 

AOTD - Not a fan of any one athlete - most likely because I have yet to read up or watch any of them in great detail. 

Supposed to be 60 on Thursday. 60! I can't even imagine it!
2011-03-14 3:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Pretty good day for me today. I woke up feeling pretty tired but had a really good masters swim in this morning. Then 5 mile lunch run. Then 60' on the trainer after work with a FTP test in which I added another 4-5W to my FTP.

All in all I felt pretty good today. It's still cold but it's starting to feel like the temps are creeping up.

Jamie

PS. After all of this griping about the weather, my wife and I are planning a vacation to Alaska!
2011-03-15 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

Alaska? You do know it generally tends to be more snowy and cold when you head north :P  I've always wanted to visit Alaska, heard it's beautiful.

I had a great vacation in Mexico. Jamie was right, I was enjoying the sun too much to run.  I ran once, mid-week, then decided I'd stick to actually getting some rest while on vacation. I did, however, swim almost every day...in the ocean   I couldn't resist the temptation to practice open water swimming since I don't get to do that here very long during the summer. I've no idea how far a swam each day, but based on pace 1/2 to 1 mile I'm guessing. My confidence in open water grew tremendously, which I needed.  We did a lot of nothing while we were there and I feel refreshed.   I'll try and post some pics later to help people remember what the sun looks like. Not working out today. Tomorrow I'll go for a very short run...maybe 20 minutes.

2011-03-15 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3398325

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
syscrash - 2011-03-15 9:52 AM

Alaska? You do know it generally tends to be more snowy and cold when you head north :P  I've always wanted to visit Alaska, heard it's beautiful.

I had a great vacation in Mexico. Jamie was right, I was enjoying the sun too much to run.  I ran once, mid-week, then decided I'd stick to actually getting some rest while on vacation. I did, however, swim almost every day...in the ocean   I couldn't resist the temptation to practice open water swimming since I don't get to do that here very long during the summer. I've no idea how far a swam each day, but based on pace 1/2 to 1 mile I'm guessing. My confidence in open water grew tremendously, which I needed.  We did a lot of nothing while we were there and I feel refreshed.   I'll try and post some pics later to help people remember what the sun looks like. Not working out today. Tomorrow I'll go for a very short run...maybe 20 minutes.

yeah I know it's cold up there!

Glad you had a good vacation. OWS is much better than pool swimming in my opinion.

Washout in Indy today. 40 and rain. Got an hour on the trainer this morning but def. no run at lunch.

Jamie
2011-03-15 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Great article on how to climb a hill during HIM and especially IM.

http://www.endurancenation.us/blog/2008/05/15/climbing-hills/#

I've used this technique for years. Remember that power/HR spike KILL your performance. Avoid them at all costs especially in IM.

Sit back and watch all of the idiots race to the top of any random hill. Then smile as you blow by them at the top/downhill while they are gassed. It really does work. Keep this article in your back pocket and refer to it often.

Jamie

2011-03-15 4:58 PM
in reply to: #3398468

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

jamiej - 2011-03-15 9:00 AM  OWS is much better than pool swimming in my opinion. Washout in Indy today. 40 and rain. Got an hour on the trainer this morning but def. no run at lunch. Jamie

Agreed. After having easy access to OWS every day for even 6 days it is going to be very very tough to go back to the pool. I actually was looking forward to swimming every day in the ocean. The distance doesn't seem nearly as far when it's "there and back" vs. "there and back 35 times" 

2011-03-15 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3398579

User image

As much as I know about triathlon, I've never taken the time to learn much about power.  This article is very interesting and consistent with advice I've heard from lots of experienced riders.  In the article they mention "Powertap" and "SRM".  Are these two different brands of power meters?  How do power meters work, and how do they monitor wattage without creating drag to the legs of the cyclist?  I'm assuming these power meters measure the wattage being produced by the turning of the cranks, but where is the power meter located on the bike?...somewhere in the bottom bracket?  Is a power meter easily added to any bike, or does it require an extensive retrofit?
2011-03-15 11:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/08/power-primer-cycling-with-power-101.html

I think I skimmed this post but he's usually REALLY detailed with his blogs - this one is "Power 101" and should give you a really thorough start to understanding power meters. Enjoy!

2011-03-16 3:37 AM
in reply to: #3399446

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
clewis38 - 2011-03-15 8:32 PM

As much as I know about triathlon, I've never taken the time to learn much about power.  This article is very interesting and consistent with advice I've heard from lots of experienced riders.  In the article they mention "Powertap" and "SRM".  Are these two different brands of power meters?  How do power meters work, and how do they monitor wattage without creating drag to the legs of the cyclist?  I'm assuming these power meters measure the wattage being produced by the turning of the cranks, but where is the power meter located on the bike?...somewhere in the bottom bracket?  Is a power meter easily added to any bike, or does it require an extensive retrofit?

The article that Dave posted is good but it gives you a few junk options in terms of powermeters. Do not buy ibike, polar or Ergomo. The first 2 are crap and the 3rd is basically out of business.

SRM and quarq are crank based so they completely replace your crank. I'd say the best choice between the 2 is a quarq. It's newer/cheaper and more reliable based on what I've seen so far.

Powertap is the oldest and cheapest of the viable options. It's based in the hub of the rear wheel and can be either wired to the computer up front or wireless. I have a wireless PT.

Here is a quick run down of pros/cons in my opinion:

Quarq/SRM
Pros: lighter, good choice if you already have race wheels.
Cons: more expensive. If you ever decide that you want to change your crank arm length you are SOL and have to buy a new one. Send back to factory to replace/fix.

Powertap:
Pros: tried and true. Cheapest of all of the viable options. Excellent customer service. Most bike shops know how to fix them if they ever do break.
Cons: heavier but as discussed before weight does NOT matter in IM TT's. The hub is laced right into your wheel. This means that you will train/race with 1 wheel. If you want a training wheel and then a dedicated racing wheel then you need TWO powertaps. I train/race with the same wheel and just throw on disk cover for racing.

One other factor that may/may not be of importance. If you have multiple bikes then you need to swap out the crank completely between the bikes for SRM/Quarq. This really isn't too difficult but some may not like this. For PT all you have to do is swap out the wheels (assuming wireless) and you are good to go. For most peeps, changing out the wheel is much more intuitive than changing cranks.

One other way to look at it:

If you already have a fancy pair of dedicated race wheels then in the long run it will be cheaper to go with a quarq/SRM. If you don't then you can decide from either. For me, I sold my race wheels to buy a Powertap. Best decision I ever made. Quarq was just a startup company at the time and that made me nervous. SRM was way too expensive for me.

The powermeter will measure how many watts you are generating as you bike. Think of it as a direct measure of how hard you are pushing on the pedals. Unlike HR training that is a very indirect measure of effort at best, power training is unaffected by anything other than you pushing on the pedal. IMO, you haven't trained until you've trained with power.

Computrainer is a viable tool for training with power as well but it is a trainer and obviously can't be used on the road.

I'm of the opinion that I powermeter (PT, Quarq, SRM) is the best tool to make you faster. It should be #1 on the list of upgrades that you want to make you faster.

Jamie
2011-03-16 7:59 AM

User image

Thanks for the info on power meters. I'm starting to think seriously about making that my next upgrade.  This is the third time my training has been derailed by overuse injuries, and I think at least part of the reason is that I have no way of knowing the true effort during my training sessions. 

2011-03-16 1:49 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

That whole Powertap is definitely intriguing and something I want to invest in soon.  I know it would help my bike training.

I was wondering if we can talk a little about diet and food intake (not while exercising).  The last month or so since ramping up my volume and workouts, I've been starting to lose weight.  I've lost about 5 pounds the last month and can't seem to stop losing it.  I'm getting awfully close to my high school weight which is too definitely too thin.  I feel my weight is just about right now or maybe a tad on the thin side and definitely don't want to go down any lower.  My concern is that as my training volume continues to increase I will whittle away to a giant toothpick.

I suspect this might not be a common most of you fight.  However, I am wondering if anyone else struggles with keeping on weight during training?  I am also interested in diet and how often/much people eat.  I eat 2 decent sized meals a day along with a small breakfast, but it seems like I need more.  Just curious to hear any thoughts.

2011-03-16 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3400650

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
sbsmann - 2011-03-16 2:49 PM

That whole Powertap is definitely intriguing and something I want to invest in soon.  I know it would help my bike training.

I was wondering if we can talk a little about diet and food intake (not while exercising).  The last month or so since ramping up my volume and workouts, I've been starting to lose weight.  I've lost about 5 pounds the last month and can't seem to stop losing it.  I'm getting awfully close to my high school weight which is too definitely too thin.  I feel my weight is just about right now or maybe a tad on the thin side and definitely don't want to go down any lower.  My concern is that as my training volume continues to increase I will whittle away to a giant toothpick.

I suspect this might not be a common most of you fight.  However, I am wondering if anyone else struggles with keeping on weight during training?  I am also interested in diet and how often/much people eat.  I eat 2 decent sized meals a day along with a small breakfast, but it seems like I need more.  Just curious to hear any thoughts.

I eat well and still can't lose the weight right now.  I went from 209 to 179 (over last 2 years) and will float between 178 and 183.  Seem to struggle getting any lower.

So sorry not much help here?!?

Got 3450yds in the pool today and averaged 1:38 for the first 1000yds.

70 degrees here in Cincy tomorrow - might take an easy day and get 9 holes in????

Got a race on sunday - 1/2 marathon.

2011-03-16 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3400650

User image

I have experienced the same thing.  I've always been thin, but when I'm training for a triathlon (which is pretty much all the time now), it can get bad.  For me it was a bigger problem until a nutritionist examined my diet and told me I was not taking in nearly enough protein.  I added a 25-gram shake, twice daily, to my diet, and my weight stabilized at a place that's right for me.  I'm currently at 160 lbs which feels right on my 6'0" frame.  If you're getting the right amount of hydration and protein, you probably just need to take in more calories.
2011-03-16 8:45 PM
in reply to: #3401131

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

clewis38 - 2011-03-16 7:40 PM I have experienced the same thing.  I've always been thin, but when I'm training for a triathlon (which is pretty much all the time now), it can get bad.  For me it was a bigger problem until a nutritionist examined my diet and told me I was not taking in nearly enough protein.  I added a 25-gram shake, twice daily, to my diet, and my weight stabilized at a place that's right for me.  I'm currently at 160 lbs which feels right on my 6'0" frame.  If you're getting the right amount of hydration and protein, you probably just need to take in more calories.

Good info Cody.  I've mixed protein shakes before, but I have been tossing around the idea of buying canned drinks for ease and more consistent consumption.  I think that might be a good option for me.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40