BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-05-30 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

Expert
San Jose
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED

Weight In Monday-down 3.4 lbs! 

This was a build week and I put in a lot of hours getting my workouts done so I'm sure that helped. I did pay attention to that and tried to eat to fuel but I think I'll have to add more calories some weeks so I don't lose energy along with the pounds.

Mike, congrats to your daughter. Sounds like it was a great family weekend!

Curt, great race! Love the attitude of improving your health and not jeopardizing it. Smart

Laura, if the real estate drama is over that must mean you sold your house and bought the other. Congrats! Now the weather will be better and you can get back into your routine

Chet, are you going to do Ironman Coeur d'Alene???

Tracie, DO have fun at your race. That's what it's all about.....plus the t-shirts.........and the medals Wink

Hope everyone is having/had a great Memorial Day. 

Johanne

2011-05-30 9:19 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Hey group!! 

I am back from an amaaaazing trip to New Orleans-best wedding I've ever been to!  I accidentally did a long run on Saturday because I was trying to find the Garden District and didn't see gardens.  Between walking on Friday and Saturday I can honestly say without exaggeration we must have walked at least 20 miles!!  I ate all those calories throughout the reception and after, though. =)

Curt-congrats on a great race!

I'll be sure to post more later.  I'm wiped out! Flew in last night, home by 11pm and up at 5:45am to work the day shift at my part time gig then headed out for OWS with our tri club.

2011-05-30 11:31 PM
in reply to: #3524179

Extreme Veteran

Mike - congrats to your daughter on her tournament awards and good work on the speedy bike ride

Joanne - Great work on the weight loss

Sara - Glad you enjoyed the wedding and trip. Have fun with your OWS and good work on the LR.

I've decided my goals for June are:

Limit fast food to healthy options

Limit soda to 1 can per day

swim 3 times a week - probably 2 form and 1 endurance session.

Bike 3 times a week - still following the Beginner Exercise program and starting from week 1 again as I couldn't do all workouts as prescribed

run more regularly - probably looking at 3 times a week but I'm not sure.

I'll still be walking for hills and LD's though - these will mostly be trails as BFF's mum has started up a group for it.

2011-05-31 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Hello everyone!

How are we today?  I'm exhausted! PHWEW! We're starting to get heat in New York, hurray! BUT, it has made sleeping comfortably at night a little challenging. =)

I'm in the middle of being trained to lead a diabetes self-management class.  The great thing about it is I'm learning that you don't really have to do anything "special" to eat healthy meals... just use your plate as your guide!  I love the idea of using this "plate" method and I hope the information can help those of us in the group who are trying to figure out how to get the nutrients our body needs to keep our immune system in check and fuel our training/racing. 

Follow this link for more information: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/create-your-plate/ 

One take away message in particular: it's okay to get your carbs from fruits and vegetables!  I was always under the impression that I needed to get my carbs from pasta, rice, bread, etc.  These foods ARE great sources of them, but typically the portion sizes we choose are more than we need. So, fruits and vegetables as a carbohydrate source can serve as a "portion control" that packs lots of vitamins and minerals!

2011-05-31 1:41 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Thanks for the link Sara. I love my fruits and vegetables but I do have a soft spot for good bread   I'll check it out.

Finished a 90 min run. The longer I go, the slower I go. Faster then 2 years ago but for me, my progress comes in baby steps. After yesterdays rest day, I did feel pretty good overall though.

So Dave and I did a major goof. We've done the Disney 1/2 marathon with our daughter for the last 3 years. We completely forgot/kept putting off registering and now the race is full and the wait list is full. We are so bummed because it has always been such a fun weekend I'm going to try to find another 1/2 that will work in that date range more for my daughter then me. She's training for the Nike Women's 1/2 in October and late August/early September gives her a 'fun' one to do to keep motivated.

I added a little local weekday race for this week just for the wetsuit/open water/body contact with people type of fun. Dave wanted to do another oly between his June and September races so we added one in Santa Cruz in August. I did the sprint last year there. It'll be fun/a challenge to do another ocean swim

I might add a 5K and 10K sometime if it works out just to try to challenge myself to get a under 30 min and 60 min time.

Other then that, NO MORE RACES!!!! Stop me if I talk about signing up for something else.

Johanne

2011-05-31 9:42 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Wow, Johanne! You are one busy chica!  Speaking of Dave....where has he been??? =)

2011-05-31 9:46 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Can you believe May is already over?  Oh man! So... with that being said, I propose a 

PEACH CHALLENGE!

For the month of June, let's all try to log some sort of physical activity for each day.  I just checked everyone's logs and we're pretty split about who uses this valuable feature of BT.

Let the challenge begin!

2011-05-31 9:54 PM
in reply to: #3526661

User image

Expert
San Jose
WittyCityGirl - 2011-05-31 7:46 PM

Can you believe May is already over?  Oh man! So... with that being said, I propose a 

PEACH CHALLENGE!

For the month of June, let's all try to log some sort of physical activity for each day.  I just checked everyone's logs and we're pretty split about who uses this valuable feature of BT.

Let the challenge begin!

You're on!

2011-05-31 11:46 PM

Extreme Veteran

Johanne - sorry about the race

Sara - I was thinking of doing a peach challenge anyway so I'm in.

Not sure what today is going to involve yet though.

2011-06-01 5:34 AM
in reply to: #3526661

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
WittyCityGirl - 2011-05-31 9:46 PM

PEACH CHALLENGE!

Let the challenge begin!

Sounds like fun. I'll do what I can (couple of business & family trips this month!).

2011-06-01 6:54 AM
in reply to: #3526781

Extreme Veteran
suzielea - 2011-05-31 11:46 PM

Johanne - sorry about the race

Sara - I was thinking of doing a peach challenge anyway so I'm in.

Not sure what today is going to involve yet though.

Started the month off with 100 bench push ups - I'm thinking I may need to find a way to make them harder, lol. Maybe I'll try using the couch or my bed next time. Tomorrow I'm going to head out for a run/walk - Time to be decided but I'll probalby continue with the ratios I used last time.

2011-06-01 10:25 PM
in reply to: #3526853

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Mike_D - 2011-06-01 5:34 AM
WittyCityGirl - 2011-05-31 9:46 PM

PEACH CHALLENGE!

Let the challenge begin!

Sounds like fun. I'll do what I can (couple of business & family trips this month!).

Against my better judgement, I'm in -- so much for the planned rest days!!!!!

2011-06-02 12:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

I am down with the challenge!!!

Finally about after a tough week. I kept up with my workouts, but its been difficult. My cat has been having issues, work has been difficult, and life has been busy....Namely, this has led to VERY little sleep...I think I've turned a corner, so now I have a bit more awake hours. Anyway, I may or may not have a race on Saturday---it all depends on the weather---it was thunder, lightning, tornadoes, hail, and rain today--and it may be similar on Saturday--my coach is racing with me, but we will decide for sure on Friday night or Saturday morning. Who knows?

Well, I'd best be off to bed, as its back to work early tomorrow---hopefully I can catch up tomorrow night.

2011-06-02 3:47 AM
in reply to: #3528478

Extreme Veteran

Kate - hope everything gets better.

Day 2 of the peach challenge is in - 17:30 run walk (00:15 run/2:15 walk) to see what how whether it would work out for the aggressive c25k program - looks like it will except it was super slow - probably because I was walking more than running and wasn't running very fast when I did, lol - but I'll need to work out how to do the intervals on my phone though - I might try a different interval next time though.

Tomorrow - 20 min bike ride.

2011-06-02 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Im still in on Day 2. A short (30 min) trainer ride this AM was good. Pushed it hard. I'm double dipping today as I have a 5k race this evening which should be fun. My foot has been acting up the past couple days so I'm leaving the participation as a game time decision.

My first race of the year is just over 3 weeks away, and I'm quite sure at this point I'm going to have to really push it to have a decent run. The swim & bike I'm OK with, and I'm just hoping the run doesn't completely fall apart. This had been my "A" race for the year, but nearly 3 months of foot injury/non running are making it a 'just finish with dignity" event. Oh, well .

2011-06-02 5:27 PM
in reply to: #3528730

Extreme Veteran

Mike - I'm sure you'll do great in both races. And dignity will definitely let you finish - after all you can always do a run/walk thing if running the whole way is too hard on your foot, just don't forget to run over the finish line.

Me - I'm meant to be doing another trail walk today but I'm not sure what time I have to be at BFF's mum's house so I may skip it and do the bike ride anyway - I'll see what happens I guess.

2011-06-02 7:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Mike -- Hope you took the 5k easy and did not push it.  You've climbed all the way back / need to take your time and make sure you're ready for the tri.

I'm just about recovered from Saturday.  My legs were killing me for a few days afterwards.  The weekend was a ton of fun -- I took Friday off and played golf, tri on Saturday, and Sunday went fishing with my Dad and oldest daughter.

Have come to the conclusion that I'm going to need to accept that for this year "success" is going to consist of training regularly and completing the tri's with ease.  There's just not enough time available right now with some of the things I've got going on inside and outside of work.  I will be working on getting better on planning/formalizing the workouts AND I've got the get back on the HRM to make sure I'm using intensity properly.

2011-06-02 7:19 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Well, I have managed to make both days in June PEACH days-but with a little bit of flubbing.  Not sure if you all know this feature in your log, but there's a section for "other" activities.  Scroll through that and there are things like "home improvment" and "walking" and "volunteering" that you can add which will turn your square to a peach color. =)  I had to use washing dishes as home improvement since I bruised the bottom of my foot stepping on something stupid (husband's hockey stick at bottom of stairs!).

I'll give our group until tomorrow to get some more peaches in before I start checking your logs. =)

2011-06-02 8:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
I don't know Sara -- washing dishes?!!?!?!?  Now if you were working on your breathing technique by immersing your head during the process, MAYBE.  Hope you're OK.  The peach challenge is really, really tough.  I did it in December and was hurting by the end of the month.  I've already planned some leisurely MTB rides for the days where I need to rest.
2011-06-02 10:26 PM
in reply to: #3529808

Extreme Veteran

Decided not to go trail walking today but I wouldn't have been going anyway. When I rang BFF's mum to tell her I wasn't coming she informed me she had to take her foster daughter to a hospital appt. Still got day 3 in with a total of 154 push ups (bench, and knee) - details are on my log and I may try getting out for a ride or something later - I've got to go pick up something from BFF anway.

Curt - I'm sure you'll get success this year. You may even surprise yourself.

Sara - I've looked in the sports section and never seen the "home improvement" category, but then I usually just go straight to walking and log. Are you telling me I can use cleaning my room to get a peach?  

I think I'm going to like this month - still haven't worked out all my workouts but I'm sure I'll find something to do if I can use simple things. I'm guessing tomorrow may be a challenge but I could always sneak in a run to/from a station or stair repeats while I'm on break, lol

2011-06-02 10:52 PM
in reply to: #3530138

Extreme Veteran
suzielea - 2011-06-02 10:26 PM

Decided not to go trail walking today but I wouldn't have been going anyway. When I rang BFF's mum to tell her I wasn't coming she informed me she had to take her foster daughter to a hospital appt. Still got day 3 in with a total of 154 push ups (bench, and knee) - details are on my log and I may try getting out for a ride or something later - I've got to go pick up something from BFF anway.

Curt - I'm sure you'll get success this year. You may even surprise yourself.

Sara - I've looked in the sports section and never seen the "home improvement" category, but then I usually just go straight to walking and log. Are you telling me I can use cleaning my room to get a peach?  

I think I'm going to like this month - still haven't worked out all my workouts but I'm sure I'll find something to do if I can use simple things. I'm guessing tomorrow may be a challenge but I could always sneak in a run to/from a station or stair repeats while I'm on break, lol

[/QUOTE

Just checked out the "sports" section of the log and Sara's right there is a "home improvement" section. There's also a Misc (miscellaneous) section so you can probably put pretty much anything down to get peaches including the stuff you don't actually want to make public in an internet log, lol. And yes my mind is stuck in the gutter, lol

2011-06-03 7:18 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Forgot to mention I had a race last night. The Boston edition of the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge road race. A 3.5 mile run through downtown Boston. I ran at a 9:00 even pace for the entire distance and felt good the whole way. No foot issues - the biggest problem is the number of runners, nearly 12,000!. It was hard to find space to run, but I just muddled along, and was happy to run in the time I did. Its been my longest continuous run since I hurt my foot in February. Overall, it was encouraging.

I'm traveling the next couple days, so my peach challenge may come to an end. There is a pool at the hotel but I'm guessing its not built for swim work outs

2011-06-03 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3530348

User image

Master
Dunedin
Mike_D - 2011-06-03 8:18 AM

Forgot to mention I had a race last night. The Boston edition of the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge road race. A 3.5 mile run through downtown Boston. I ran at a 9:00 even pace for the entire distance and felt good the whole way. No foot issues - the biggest problem is the number of runners, nearly 12,000!. It was hard to find space to run, but I just muddled along, and was happy to run in the time I did. Its been my longest continuous run since I hurt my foot in February. Overall, it was encouraging.

I'm traveling the next couple days, so my peach challenge may come to an end. There is a pool at the hotel but I'm guessing its not built for swim work outs

Sounds fun!  I can't wait to be in your neck of the woods two weeks from today!  I haven't decided if I'm staying with friends on the North Shore or South Shore yet.  Either way, I don't think the drive to the Harpoon Brewery is going to be bad at 4:30am. =)

2011-06-03 7:32 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Ahh, cleaning counting as a peach challenge... 

I'm sure some hardcore athletes would scoff at the thought, BUT I see the other side of the coin almost every stinking day... people that are inactive and don't realize that standing to do dishes IS working core muscles to keep your balance or that taking a load of laundry up stairs is strengthening your muscles.  True, it's not 30+ minutes of vigorous activity and it's activity nonetheless. 

After Ironman Lake Placid I saw a sizeable increase in the number of BT friends that were sick or injured and bummed/blue that they couldn't exercise at the length and intensity that they used to.  If we allow ourselves to believe that parking a little farther away from the grocery store or taking the stairs instead of the elevator is physical activity too, I think we set ourselves up for a healthier relationship with our body when it's not performing as we hoped it would.  PLUS, I think when we do have things like vacations or business trips we're more likely to find a way to sneak in a 10 minute walk because it "counts" rather than shrug off the whole day as an all out wash.

Hope that helps and that some of you who would have a blank white day will see that you can use some short walks or time "training your pet" as a way to turn it to a peach day-we're setting ourselves up for a long-term healthy lifestyle by seeing the little opportunities we have everyday to be "active".

Laughing

2011-06-03 7:33 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Uh oh, fuzzy smiley faces aren't so cute, huh?

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that the U.S. food pyramid is getting replaced by the portion plate (hmm.... I remember someone mentioning this a few days ago....).

Take a look! http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72