BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-06-20 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3557907

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
MattCan - 2011-06-20 11:14 AM

Had an absolutely awesome race on Sunday! Blew my mind how well it went. Here is a link to my race report

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=257369

My nutrition was spot on, pacing was really good, and I felt like for where my training is at it was the perfect race.

Trying to figure out what to do next now. I haven't signed up for any more races but would like to do at least one more half and hopefully a couple olympics. Problem is I am going to be gone from training for at least 2 weeks in the next month and a half so I don't know how prepared I would be for the early august HIM I was planning on. What do you guys think, would the base I have built  up already help carry me through those 2 weeks out?

Matt-read the race report and it sounds like everything came together for you.  All around excellent effort but your run split for HIM was exceptional.  Great work!

Randy

2011-06-20 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Regular
Carmichael
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

@Christy- I took in about 700 calories on the bike and about 4 salt tablets. I had about 400 calories of Carbo Pro in two bottles and then one flask of powergel with just over 300 calories. I had an alarm set on my Garmin to go off every 15 minutes. I at the very least took down some carbo pro each time the alarm sounded and about every other time I took down a swig of powergel. Then on each hour I took down two salt tablets and grabbed a water bottle from the aid station to help get those down and just to get some cool water in. I didn't take anything in the last 20 minutes or so on the bike except a swig or two of water. I went out on the run with another flask of powergel with 300 calories in it and took a swig just before each aid station and grabbed a cup of water to help get it down. I added some water to the flask as well around the halfway point of the run.

And yes, Victoria was beautiful! Loved the race course, definitely one of the best I have done so far. The swim is in a gorgeous lake and the bike rolls around the island right next to the coast and then the run circles the lake through the forests on dirt trails.

@Joe- I could maybe get in a few runs at least probably not a whole lot of biking or swimming though. Those are probably the two disciplines I need to work on the most though, so we'll see how it goes.

2011-06-20 9:20 PM
in reply to: #3557504

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
jsiegs - 2011-06-20 8:51 AM

I totally agree on the graph envy - nice work Randy!

I've been struggling with a total lack of motivation.  I can bike, and I want to bike, and I even plan to bike, but then the time to bike comes and a generally just say "screw it".  Some is definitely because of the total dissarray my house is in right now (and my fiancee's and my old houses) and our trips to Home Depot, back to the old houses, time spend putting away boxes and building things from Ikea.  That stuff just consumes your whole weekend before you even know it.  That, and my parents early wedding present (a 55 inch LED LCD!!!) have distracted me. 

that all said - it's just an excuse.  Motivation is my real issue.  I can't seem to find a reason to care to train anymore.  I'm not signed up for anything and don't have any plans for anything.  I hope this is just a phase a little dedicaiton will get me out of.  I don't have an indoor bike area in the new house yet, but my goal today is to get home, set it up, and hit the trainer for an hour tonight and tomorrow AM (got my next doc's appt tommorrow AM so I've got some time before it).  Wish me luck!

I'm having the same issue. Once I got side tracked with finishing our remodel, then it was crunch time to clean up construction dust and the house in general in 1 week before my daughters birthday.

Her bday has come and gone, last week was a total bust. I have been beyond exhausted, and my back is killing me - I'm sure from lack of working out. Side note: I've had two rounds of steroid shots for a degenerating spine and 2 bulging discs. I have a feeling something has triggered my discs to flare up again. Nothing is helping: heat, stretching, walking, 'popping' my back, I did yoga today... ugh.

On top of all that, I got in to a wreck on Friday - it was my fault, but the damage to my car just plain sucks. At the end of the day, my daughter and I are perfectly fine, and my car is fixable. It's just so frustrating.

The heat in TX is beyond bearable, which means my lack of training is just that: a lack of.

I feel like I've been in this rut for a while and can.not.get.out.of.it.

Is it worth training indoors to say 'I'm training'? Let's face it, treadmill running is not the same as outdoor running. And spin is not the same as being on the road. I don't know what to do. I don't want to drop the race, but I feel like that is where I'm headed, which would end my season

This just sucks. Cry

2011-06-20 9:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Training is training...

Whether it is on a treadmill, elliptical, or indoor trainer, you are building a strong base to go into your race. Any training is better than no training, simple as that (for the most part at least).

Have a goal for each treadmill workout, or indoor training ride. Try some of the online workouts, many are just an hour or so (tripower.org), and can really get your HR up there (especially the interval spins).

You've got this...!

2011-06-21 5:20 AM
in reply to: #3559071

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
khharms -

I'm having the same issue. Once I got side tracked with finishing our remodel, then it was crunch time to clean up construction dust and the house in general in 1 week before my daughters birthday.

Her bday has come and gone, last week was a total bust. I have been beyond exhausted, and my back is killing me - I'm sure from lack of working out. Side note: I've had two rounds of steroid shots for a degenerating spine and 2 bulging discs. I have a feeling something has triggered my discs to flare up again. Nothing is helping: heat, stretching, walking, 'popping' my back, I did yoga today... ugh.

On top of all that, I got in to a wreck on Friday - it was my fault, but the damage to my car just plain sucks. At the end of the day, my daughter and I are perfectly fine, and my car is fixable. It's just so frustrating.

The heat in TX is beyond bearable, which means my lack of training is just that: a lack of.

Is it worth training indoors to say 'I'm training'? Let's face it, treadmill running is not the same as outdoor running. And spin is not the same as being on the road. I don't know what to do. I don't want to drop the race, but I feel like that is where I'm headed, which would end my season

This just sucks. Cry

I'm glad you and your daughter are safe. That is by far more important than anything.

Training indoors might not be the same as training outside, but it is still training and it is still worth it.  Most of my training has been indoors.  Get to the gym! Get on the treadmill, take a spin class.  You will feel so much better.  A couple of workouts, you'll be back in the groove.  Don't stress about your race.  Everything will fall into place. 

I'm going to be checking your logs!!! Smile

Christy

2011-06-21 5:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Good morning!

I woke up early to get in a quick bike on the trainer.  I have since decided to lay in bed drinking coffee and watching tv until the kids wake up.  I'm taking my taper week a bit to the extreme.  I'm having a hard time making myself do the short training sessions.  It doesn't seem worth it to go the gym to run for 15 minutes.  I know I need to do something.  I'm thinking about trying to get my llittle ones in the jogging stroller.  They should be able to last for 15 minutes without killing each other.  We will see.

Hope everyone finds their motivation and has a great day!!

Christy

One more taper question-Does everyone eat like crazy when they taper?  The past 2 days my husband has made jokes about how much I have been eating.  I've also been sleeping a lot.  Is this "normal"?  I'm going to gain 10 pounds this week if this doesn't stop!!

Edited by cbrookhart 2011-06-21 5:58 AM

2011-06-21 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Good morning all,

After a great strength training session, I finished up with a 20min run on the treadmill (with 2.0% incline), and honestly had one of 'those' runs. Everything came together, my posture and form was phenomenal, and I literally felt like I could've gone forever. I know this sounds like runner's high, but it started the second I got on the treadmill. Regardless, I was really pleased.

Tried to go for a ride this morning, however the smoke set it overnight making it difficult just to go outside and breathe, let alone hammer out 30-40 miles. Oh well, at least I know that I finally ordered a trainer (the one on Craigslist had sold already...boo), and it should be here within a week or. I know this will definitely help having an opportunity to get more saddle time. Looking forward to a good swim tomorrow, and may go get on the spin bike after wards. Today, I focused on a good stretching session (something I never dedicate anytime to), and I feel extremely good. I am definitely going to start and try incorporating longer stretching/ART sessions, especially with my training volume going up after July 9th (my last Sprint race).

I am not sure who is more excited about the trainer, me or my fiance. Even though she knows it will be somewhat noisy, she is just glad I will be home a few more hours a day...a rare thing between our two hectic schedules. At least the (soon-to-be) wife will be happy...

@Christy: Enjoy your taper week, I am sure I am going to go insane during my taper week in September for my HIM. I look at the last two weeks on my plan and literally gave out a "UGGHHHH." I will be nervous/anxious for the race and I can't go train to get that energy out...talk about frustrating.

-Nick

Edited by Savage8778 2011-06-21 8:40 AM
2011-06-21 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3559071

User image

Master
Baltimore
khharms - 2011-06-20 10:20 PM
jsiegs - 2011-06-20 8:51 AM

I totally agree on the graph envy - nice work Randy!

I've been struggling with a total lack of motivation.  I can bike, and I want to bike, and I even plan to bike, but then the time to bike comes and a generally just say "screw it".  Some is definitely because of the total dissarray my house is in right now (and my fiancee's and my old houses) and our trips to Home Depot, back to the old houses, time spend putting away boxes and building things from Ikea.  That stuff just consumes your whole weekend before you even know it.  That, and my parents early wedding present (a 55 inch LED LCD!!!) have distracted me. 

that all said - it's just an excuse.  Motivation is my real issue.  I can't seem to find a reason to care to train anymore.  I'm not signed up for anything and don't have any plans for anything.  I hope this is just a phase a little dedicaiton will get me out of.  I don't have an indoor bike area in the new house yet, but my goal today is to get home, set it up, and hit the trainer for an hour tonight and tomorrow AM (got my next doc's appt tommorrow AM so I've got some time before it).  Wish me luck!

This just sucks. Cry

Not the same in terms of fun or effectiveness?  I do some of my best bike workouts inside on my trainer.  They are certainly mentaly tougher and not as fun, but in terms of effectiveness, they are better than outside, IMHO.  There are some pro's who ONLY train inside!

Running is a little different - treadmill running is slightly different that outside running from what I gather, but certainly not enough to matter or for any of us to really notice, or avoid it.  Just keep in mind that because of the physics of it all, about a 1% incline simulates a flat road. 

Sorry to hear about the accident, but very glad everyone is OK!  Heat is Texas eh?  Come to Baltimore and have some fun in the 100 degree heat and 100% humidity   When it's crazy hot out, just take it easy - your body is working harder because of the heat, but you WILL adapt, slowly but surely (and get plenty of water).  I did some biking while on a work trip to Austin last year.  Very nice, but quite warm as I remember!

2011-06-21 11:29 AM
in reply to: #3559571

User image

Master
Baltimore
Savage8778 - 2011-06-21 9:39 AM

Good morning all,

After a great strength training session, I finished up with a 20min run on the treadmill (with 2.0% incline), and honestly had one of 'those' runs. Everything came together, my posture and form was phenomenal, and I literally felt like I could've gone forever. I know this sounds like runner's high, but it started the second I got on the treadmill. Regardless, I was really pleased.

Tried to go for a ride this morning, however the smoke set it overnight making it difficult just to go outside and breathe, let alone hammer out 30-40 miles. Oh well, at least I know that I finally ordered a trainer (the one on Craigslist had sold already...boo), and it should be here within a week or. I know this will definitely help having an opportunity to get more saddle time. Looking forward to a good swim tomorrow, and may go get on the spin bike after wards. Today, I focused on a good stretching session (something I never dedicate anytime to), and I feel extremely good. I am definitely going to start and try incorporating longer stretching/ART sessions, especially with my training volume going up after July 9th (my last Sprint race).

I am not sure who is more excited about the trainer, me or my fiance. Even though she knows it will be somewhat noisy, she is just glad I will be home a few more hours a day...a rare thing between our two hectic schedules. At least the (soon-to-be) wife will be happy...

@Christy: Enjoy your taper week, I am sure I am going to go insane during my taper week in September for my HIM. I look at the last two weeks on my plan and literally gave out a "UGGHHHH." I will be nervous/anxious for the race and I can't go train to get that energy out...talk about frustrating.

-Nick

Congrats on the run!  It is great to have one of those breakthrough workouts.

What'd you end up with for a trainer?  You are correct - they do save a ton of time and are super convenient.  I avoided them like the plague at first, but as I've mentioned, it's not an indespensible part of my training.

2011-06-21 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3559080

User image

Master
Baltimore
Savage8778 - 2011-06-20 10:26 PM

Training is training...

Whether it is on a treadmill, elliptical, or indoor trainer, you are building a strong base to go into your race. Any training is better than no training, simple as that (for the most part at least).

Have a goal for each treadmill workout, or indoor training ride. Try some of the online workouts, many are just an hour or so (tripower.org), and can really get your HR up there (especially the interval spins).

You've got this...!

Yes!!!  I know for me that is absolutely KEY to having a good workout.  If I go in without a plan, I generally end early, and do less.  With a goal, I know what I need to strive for and can usually summon the motivation to get there.

2011-06-21 1:02 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
I would like to contact whoever is in charge to remove swimming as a part of the "tri" in triathlon.  Not sure what I could substitute so we could still do triathlons and be triathletes but I would be fine if swimming were voted off the triathlon island.  Tough call on what to replace it with but as long as its not swimming I will be happy.  There are very few duathlons down this way and frankly triathlons are just cooler. 

Any guesses on how my swim went today? Really it was not that bad but I really don't see any improvement.  Did a 300 warmup and then a mile (1760yards) TT.  Time was 29:20 which equals 1:40/100scy.  Pace was comfortable although I did push the last 150-200 yards. Really no change in the last year+.  I did run early this morning so I was not 100% fresh but at most that may have been 1-2 seconds/100.  Would really like to be down in the 1:30/100 range.  There is a triathlon coaching group in Pensacola (about an hour away) that does a 2 hour video analysis session.  I think I am going to try to do that within the next month.  Right now I am just repeating my mistakes over and over...time to get better!!!   

Randy  

2011-06-21 1:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
@Joe: I ended up getting a CycleOps Fluid 2. Found a good deal on Amazon, and opted to pull the trigger. Having the ability to plan a PM bike workout will really open up te growth and possibilities. As of now, I go bike for a 1-2 hours at most before work and school. After work/school the traffic and heat are so bad that training is out of the question (as far as biking goes). I have to say, scheduling multisport workouts is no fun, lots of balancing!I can see why some athletes only train indoors (to some extent), when you are on a trainer you are ideally going non-stop, whereas on the road you may start and stop depending on traffic, lights, pedestrians, etc.
2011-06-21 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3560275

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-06-21 1:02 PM I would like to contact whoever is in charge to remove swimming as a part of the "tri" in triathlon.  Not sure what I could substitute so we could still do triathlons and be triathletes but I would be fine if swimming were voted off the triathlon island.  Tough call on what to replace it with but as long as its not swimming I will be happy.  There are very few duathlons down this way and frankly triathlons are just cooler. 

Any guesses on how my swim went today? Really it was not that bad but I really don't see any improvement.  Did a 300 warmup and then a mile (1760yards) TT.  Time was 29:20 which equals 1:40/100scy.  Pace was comfortable although I did push the last 150-200 yards. Really no change in the last year+.  I did run early this morning so I was not 100% fresh but at most that may have been 1-2 seconds/100.  Would really like to be down in the 1:30/100 range.  There is a triathlon coaching group in Pensacola (about an hour away) that does a 2 hour video analysis session.  I think I am going to try to do that within the next month.  Right now I am just repeating my mistakes over and over...time to get better!!!   

Randy  

NO!!!!  The swim is the only reason I'm not dead last in every race I do! 

Getting a video of yourself swimming is extremely helpful.  As well as having someone looking at it for you Smile.  A masters team I was on did this every once in a while. It helped a lot.  Much easier to change things when  you can actually see what you're doing.

Good luck

Christy

2011-06-21 2:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

My son's speech teacher is doing her first tri this weekend.  I'd like to get her something.  Nothing big, just a little something.  Any ideas?  I can't think of anything. 

Christy

2011-06-21 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3560562

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

Just got back from spin. It was an 'ok' workout - I wish my back would decide to heal or something, it makes doing jumps, standing sprints as well as yoga poses and planks difficult. I think it's time to see my Dr again.

Tomorrow is a scheduled off day, but I may do a Jillian Micheals workout just so I keep moving. Sunday a small group of us are going riding, which I'm actually excited about

Thank you for your responses - sometimes a little vent session is needed, and it helps to have people who say anything is possible

2011-06-22 7:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Good morning. 

I am certain everyone is anxiously awaiting my bike gear decision Smile. I talked to the guys at my LBS and decided to keep it how it is.  They were very helpful.  I felt bad asking so many questions, but the seemed to like to talk about bikes.  I did leave it there for a tune up.  Not sure it needed one, but it will make me feel better going into this weekend.

I know I shouldn't do anything new before a race.  I've been eating a luna protien bar before my long workouts.  It has worked fine with my stomach and I've had enough energy.  But I've never done a 6 hour workout.  Do you think I should try to eat more? 

Christy

2011-06-22 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3560562

User image

Master
South Alabama
cbrookhart - 2011-06-21 2:34 PM

My son's speech teacher is doing her first tri this weekend.  I'd like to get her something.  Nothing big, just a little something.  Any ideas?  I can't think of anything. 

Christy

Christy-if you want it to be something she can use in the race how about a "race/number belt"?  I like the ones that have the little toggles for attaching the number rather than the ones with the snaps.  I have a couple of spibelts.  www.spibelt.com  .  The one I have has a really small expandable zip pocket in the front with the toggles to attach the number.  The pocket expands enough to hold 2-3 gels or similar gear but is very small.  I use it on longer runs as well to carry gels.  Really solid piece of gear about $20.

If you are looking for something more long term how about a subscription to Triathlete magazine or another Tri magazine.

Glad you have the cassette issue resolved and its always a good idea to have your bike in top shape heading into a big race.

Randy 
2011-06-22 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3560755

User image

Master
South Alabama
khharms - 2011-06-21 3:40 PM

Just got back from spin. It was an 'ok' workout - I wish my back would decide to heal or something, it makes doing jumps, standing sprints as well as yoga poses and planks difficult. I think it's time to see my Dr again.

Tomorrow is a scheduled off day, but I may do a Jillian Micheals workout just so I keep moving. Sunday a small group of us are going riding, which I'm actually excited about

Thank you for your responses - sometimes a little vent session is needed, and it helps to have people who say anything is possible

Good job Karla.  Glad to see you back at it.  We all have those days, weeks.... that make it hard to exercise or train.  I always say I should get "extra points" for doing those workouts that I just did not want to do or have the time for.  Funny thing is those are typically some of my better workouts...not sure why but maybe all that time working out while patting myself on the back for doing it has something to do with it.  
2011-06-22 9:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I just checked the race participant list for my race Sunday.  There are only 3 of us in my AG Smile.  Only 20 women in all.  I've never done a race this small.  Does it count as a top 3 finish if there are only 3 of us?

Christy

2011-06-22 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3561667

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
cbrookhart - 2011-06-22 9:01 AM

I just checked the race participant list for my race Sunday.  There are only 3 of us in my AG Smile.  Only 20 women in all.  I've never done a race this small.  Does it count as a top 3 finish if there are only 3 of us?

Christy

Ha Ha! I'll go with YES, it counts

2011-06-22 6:54 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Christy-AG podium guaranteed!!! Just have to finish  Maybe shoot for top female overall???? 

Randy

2011-06-22 7:01 PM
in reply to: #3562844

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-06-22 6:54 PM Christy-AG podium guaranteed!!! Just have to finish  Maybe shoot for top female overall???? 

Randy

That's a lot of pressure!!!  I'm going to stick with my "finish" goal.  But I must admit, knowing there are only 20 of us makes it hard not to think about.

Christy

2011-06-23 6:31 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Good morning everyone.  Treadmill run this morning then on the road the rest of the day.  Have a good day.

Randy
2011-06-23 7:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Good morning. 

I should be doing a short bike/run today.  My son is sick, and I don't feel great, so I don't think I'm going to do anything.  Maybe I will make a list of what to pack for the weekend. 

Have a great day!

Christy

2011-06-23 7:53 AM
in reply to: #3561485

User image

Master
Baltimore
cbrookhart - 2011-06-22 8:20 AM

Good morning. 

I am certain everyone is anxiously awaiting my bike gear decision Smile. I talked to the guys at my LBS and decided to keep it how it is.  They were very helpful.  I felt bad asking so many questions, but the seemed to like to talk about bikes.  I did leave it there for a tune up.  Not sure it needed one, but it will make me feel better going into this weekend.

I know I shouldn't do anything new before a race.  I've been eating a luna protien bar before my long workouts.  It has worked fine with my stomach and I've had enough energy.  But I've never done a 6 hour workout.  Do you think I should try to eat more? 

Christy

I can't really help except to say eat as much as you need to.  for racing HIM, about 1.5 to 2 cal/lb/hr is a good jumping off point to find the right amount.  make sure you're able to eat WHILE riding, not just before. 

As a side note - protein isn't great to fueling workouts.  You need carbs for that (before/during).  Protein comes after you're done.  Protein is generally harder to digest (robbing energy from your muscles/potential for GI issues due to strenuous activity) and the calories from it aren't as effective/efficient in providing energy to your muscles.

probably a good chocie with the bike gearing (and riding your own bike).  Go out for a loop or two around Loch Raven - there are some serious climbs there to let you know if you made the right decision!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56