BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-02-21 7:25 AM
in reply to: #4057678

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
quincyf - 2012-02-21 12:31 AM

Hi guys, my turn to return from falling off the face of the earth...I have felt like absolute crud for three whole days! WTH?!? Ice pick in the sinuses + no ibuprofen because my surgeon says so (sadist) + fever + no training = unhappy Q. But these breaks happen and it appears a lot of us are having the wrong week to stop sniffing glue, so let's just get over it, drop it, and move forward, shall we?

I know there are some specific aero bar fit questions (Todd) and other information floating around plus our upcoming swim QA, so let's get back to it tomorrow, refreshed from our long weekend...

But for now I'm going to bed...see you in the morning!

Q

If you were sniffing glue last week, then maybe you were not actually sick?   its glue in your sinuses?

Yup bad week for many of us!  sorry to hear that you were sick as well.    

2012-02-21 5:19 PM
in reply to: #3942395

Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)

I think it is a common thread amongst us, perhaps there was some precognition amongst us that we woudl all get off somehow.

Last friday after spin class, my knee started balooning up like it was nobody's business until about mid to end of sunday, when I simply couldn't deal with teh pain any more, and started hobbling eveywhere.  I had a dream sunday night it was gout in teh knee, turns out my dream was correct.  I have experienced gout before (you don't get to be 350 pounds eating lettuce), but never in my knee.  I literally couldn't walk, I could barely scootch along the floor on my backside.  Forget training.  I was worried I had strained a muscle, but once I knew it was just gout, I could deal with it, and now I am on the road to recovery.  I suspect I will be fine by monday or tuesday, but man this hurts. 

Anyway, I have been in the proverbial world of Sh*t because of this flare up, and have just turned on a computer (well even really jsut got to be able to hobble to a computer) for the first time in days, and read all the inspiring things about taking things and rolling with punches, and realized that as bad as it has been (teh pain that is), it will pass, and I can get back out on the trail some other day.

So kudos to all of you fighting something, and winning.  Even if you're losing, you're still at least fighting.

MW

2012-02-21 6:11 PM
in reply to: #4059307

User image

Veteran
mrkwhittaker - 2012-02-21 6:19 PM

I think it is a common thread amongst us, perhaps there was some precognition amongst us that we woudl all get off somehow.

Last friday after spin class, my knee started balooning up like it was nobody's business until about mid to end of sunday, when I simply couldn't deal with teh pain any more, and started hobbling eveywhere.  I had a dream sunday night it was gout in teh knee, turns out my dream was correct.  I have experienced gout before (you don't get to be 350 pounds eating lettuce), but never in my knee.  I literally couldn't walk, I could barely scootch along the floor on my backside.  Forget training.  I was worried I had strained a muscle, but once I knew it was just gout, I could deal with it, and now I am on the road to recovery.  I suspect I will be fine by monday or tuesday, but man this hurts. 

Anyway, I have been in the proverbial world of Sh*t because of this flare up, and have just turned on a computer (well even really jsut got to be able to hobble to a computer) for the first time in days, and read all the inspiring things about taking things and rolling with punches, and realized that as bad as it has been (teh pain that is), it will pass, and I can get back out on the trail some other day.

So kudos to all of you fighting something, and winning.  Even if you're losing, you're still at least fighting.

MW

That's tough...hang in there you can get through this!

2012-02-21 6:16 PM

User image

Veteran

Add me to the list of people struggling this week I finally got past my very sore and tight calves.  Had a HORRIBLE run on Saturday and had a little pity party with myself. By Sunday night I thought, enough, I can still do this. Monday morning got up and had a bit of crink in my neck, must have slept funny, did an hour on the stationary bike. It continued to hurt throughout the day.  Got up this morning and could barely move! ugghhh...chiro couldn't fit me in but I was able to get my sports massage therapist to give me an appointment.  It is still killing me Was suppose to run and swim today but that didn't happen....nervous to see how it feels tomorrow, I have to swim, only have a couple of days to change my swim time before my upcoming tri, only two weeks and so not ready for it!!!

2012-02-21 8:16 PM

Rochester

OK there is a couple things that I will reply on. First...Q, Sniffing glue will not help you run faster, it will kill precious brain cells. Also, gold paint is not good to huff also. If you need help we are here for you. Of course if you do have a runny nose I guess gluing your nose shut would eliminate the need for tissues, however you would have to go see your hubby at work and then they will make fun of you. LOL

Dave, giving up the soda is going to be very tough. I have noticed an increase lately of my soda intake so I think ultimately it will be better for me. I know recent research has shown the negative effects of soda, but I am waiting for the day that they find a positive effect. I can always hope I guess. I am always hopeful that the Buffalo Bills will win a Super Bowl, but of course some may argue that I am delusional on that.

Mark, having joint issues sucks. Sorry to hear, take it easy for now so you can do stuff later.

On another note, just prior to really getting started on here a few months ago I had to have ankle surgery because they thought I had a septic joint (right ankle), of course the cultures came back negative, which in a way I was very happy about, but of course the had to do more testing to see what the heck was going on. The blood tests came back finally and they told me I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. I will be honest I am really bummed out at this. With RA, it is not if I have another flare up but more when.  So now even more research for me to do. Fun wow. I am going to start on Methotrexiate (sp?), and the DR said, "oh it is a mild drug". Of course as a nurse I do know this med and my reaction was, "Really, I don't think that a drug that has a side effect of DEATH is a mild drug, I'm just saying" This made her laugh. So I am starting treatment now so I can hopefully minimize the worsening of this diease. Just hate having another thing wrong with me.

Pete

2012-02-21 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4059307

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
mrkwhittaker - 2012-02-21 5:19 PM

MW

YES!  we are the walking wounded club right now aren't we?   Ugh  Glad you got back to the computer to write.  See you are still fighting too.     Yes there are the down times.   It just makes  getting across that finish line even more sweeter!     Just keep pushing man,  you will be back on the trail.   

2012-02-21 9:40 PM
in reply to: #4059377

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Ybeal - 2012-02-21 6:16 PM

Add me to the list of people struggling this week I finally got past my very sore and tight calves.  Had a HORRIBLE run on Saturday and had a little pity party with myself. By Sunday night I thought, enough, I can still do this. Monday morning got up and had a bit of crink in my neck, must have slept funny, did an hour on the stationary bike. It continued to hurt throughout the day.  Got up this morning and could barely move! ugghhh...chiro couldn't fit me in but I was able to get my sports massage therapist to give me an appointment.  It is still killing me Was suppose to run and swim today but that didn't happen....nervous to see how it feels tomorrow, I have to swim, only have a couple of days to change my swim time before my upcoming tri, only two weeks and so not ready for it!!!

Yvonne!  I do love your spirit.   I can't help  but be excited for when you come back on the forum after your tri  and tell us  how tough, but fun your experience is.     So  for now  I hear ya.   But I'm still thinking what I'm thinking 

2012-02-21 9:54 PM
in reply to: #4059527

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
peterflagg - 2012-02-21 8:16 PM

OK there is a couple things that I will reply on. First...Q, Sniffing glue will not help you run faster, it will kill precious brain cells. Also, gold paint is not good to huff also. If you need help we are here for you. Of course if you do have a runny nose I guess gluing your nose shut would eliminate the need for tissues, however you would have to go see your hubby at work and then they will make fun of you. LOL 

Sniffing glue was so last week for her.    I'm thinking you are on to something with the gold paint!

Dave, giving up the soda is going to be very tough. I have noticed an increase lately of my soda intake so I think ultimately it will be better for me. I know recent research has shown the negative effects of soda, but I am waiting for the day that they find a positive effect. I can always hope I guess. I am always hopeful that the Buffalo Bills will win a Super Bowl, but of course some may argue that I am delusional on that.

Peter-  Dude if you want to give up the soda  (POP 'round here)  you will do it.   Look at what you have already done.    Yes  I'm with you there.  If they find something good about drinking diet pop.  I'm so all over it again! 

Bills were looking really good for the first what like 6-7 games.  Fitzpatrick is a really nice QB   so who knows?  and what's wrong with being delusional?    dang!  In my head  I'm Craig Alexander!  lol    Oh yeah and the orioles are so going to sign me to a contract next year!  Even though I have not played baseball in a decade. 

Mark, having joint issues sucks. Sorry to hear, take it easy for now so you can do stuff later.

On another note, just prior to really getting started on here a few months ago I had to have ankle surgery because they thought I had a septic joint (right ankle), of course the cultures came back negative, which in a way I was very happy about, but of course the had to do more testing to see what the heck was going on. The blood tests came back finally and they told me I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. I will be honest I am really bummed out at this. With RA, it is not if I have another flare up but more when.  So now even more research for me to do. Fun wow. I am going to start on Methotrexiate (sp?), and the DR said, "oh it is a mild drug". Of course as a nurse I do know this med and my reaction was, "Really, I don't think that a drug that has a side effect of DEATH is a mild drug, I'm just saying" This made her laugh. So I am starting treatment now so I can hopefully minimize the worsening of this diease. Just hate having another thing wrong with me.

What is up with all those side effects from meds?  And what meds do you need to take for the side effects  it can never end!!    

Sorry to hear about the RA.    Life always has a way with sending us more to deal with  ya know??    My youngest also has RA   she also has an incredible pain tolerance.   so that is good.      

Pete

2012-02-21 10:00 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

PEOPLE  PEOPLE!    I think we need this AWESOME movie scene to put a diff twist on things!

Apollo 13 quote 

NASA Director: This could be the worst disaster NASA's ever faced.
Gene Kranz: With all due respect, sir, I believe this is gonna be our finest hour.

Gene Kranz: Let's look at this thing from a... um, from a standpoint of status. What do we got on the spacecraft that's good?
[pause]
Sy Liebergot: I'll get back to you, Gene.

2012-02-21 10:56 PM
in reply to: #4059639

Rochester

Dave,

I actually knew a scout for Baltimore at one time. I am trying to remember his name. If I remember it I will try to find him and send you his way. We will have to get a nickname for you. How about Dangerous Darling Dave...wait that would be your wrestling name. I will have to think of a good one for you.

Yes the Bills did look good for a little bit, then Fitz signed that contract and forgot how to throw the ball. Looks like Stevie Johnson will not be back. He is good but not 9-10 million good. I always hope, if I lose that then life would suck, Santa would die of a stroke, the Easter Bunny would get shot and the tooth fairy, well bad things will happen to the tooth fairy.

I will do fine w/o the soda, or pop, I am REFUSING to give up my coffee. If I did that then I would go postal w/in a day or two.

2012-02-22 6:23 AM
in reply to: #4059703

User image

Veteran
peterflagg - 2012-02-21 11:56 PM

Dave,

I actually knew a scout for Baltimore at one time. I am trying to remember his name. If I remember it I will try to find him and send you his way. We will have to get a nickname for you. How about Dangerous Darling Dave...wait that would be your wrestling name. I will have to think of a good one for you.

Yes the Bills did look good for a little bit, then Fitz signed that contract and forgot how to throw the ball. Looks like Stevie Johnson will not be back. He is good but not 9-10 million good. I always hope, if I lose that then life would suck, Santa would die of a stroke, the Easter Bunny would get shot and the tooth fairy, well bad things will happen to the tooth fairy.

I will do fine w/o the soda, or pop, I am REFUSING to give up my coffee. If I did that then I would go postal w/in a day or two.

LOL...my husband's always trying to get me to give up both! I have given up the soda on occassion and once I can get past those first couple weeks I feel so much better - BUT DON'T MESS WITH MY COFFEE TOO! He just doesn't understand how horrible HIS life could be

2012-02-22 6:47 AM

User image

Veteran

Wow...there is a lot of SH&# that is thrown at the group right now.  Some thoughts...

* I think all these obstacles will make the accomplishments even sweeter.  When we reach our goals and think that we reached them IN SPITE of what we faced.  That just makes the accomplishment bigger.  The gout.  The RA.  The family issues.  It's trite...but we can choose to let all of that make us stronger by continuing to work toward our goals.

* It also made me think of something Q said early on in a post, when we're having a crappy indoor workout...that those tough periods are actually part of what prepares us for race day.  Think about that too.  These struggles get you ready for what you'll face while you're racing.

Everyone hang in there and keep doing what you're doing.  Keep moving the ball forward.  DH's BT group has a slogan that I'll steal...  Relentless Forward Progress! 

Regarding lent...I'm Catholic and I've been searching for the right lent projects...here goes...   * Giving up soda...thanks for the inspiration, team.  No more Diet Dr. Pepper for me!   * Giving up commercial radio in my car...only listening to K-Love.      * Completing The Love Dare book with DH.  It's a 40-day couples exercise inspiried by the moving Fireproof.    I always like to combine a sacrafice of some kind with a commitment to add something positive to my life, as well.

Have a good day, friends!

2012-02-22 6:48 AM
in reply to: #4059377

User image

Veteran
Ybeal - 2012-02-21 7:16 PM

Don't worry about times or anything for this first Tri.  Just get it under your belt.  You'll feel SO good when you cross that finish line.  Focus on THAT and THAT ALONE!  You can do it!!

2012-02-22 8:08 AM
in reply to: #4059857

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Ybeal - 2012-02-22 6:23 AM
peterflagg - 2012-02-21 11:56 PM

Dave,

LOL...my husband's always trying to get me to give up both! I have given up the soda on occassion and once I can get past those first couple weeks I feel so much better - BUT DON'T MESS WITH MY COFFEE TOO! He just doesn't understand how horrible HIS life could be

I didn't give up coffee when I was pregnant. I cut down (as I am doing now) but it was a matter of life or death as my husband was going to kill me...haha...

2012-02-22 8:09 AM
in reply to: #4059647

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-02-21 10:00 PM

PEOPLE  PEOPLE!    I think we need this AWESOME movie scene to put a diff twist on things!

Apollo 13 quote 

Gene Kranz: With all due respect, sir, I believe this is gonna be our finest hour.

Gene Kranz: Let's look at this thing from a... um, from a standpoint of status. What do we got on the spacecraft that's good?
[pause]

Bwaaahaaa

2012-02-22 8:16 AM
in reply to: #4057476

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: Hello strangers!
oriolepwr - 2012-02-20 8:20 PM
DaDooRunRun - 2012-02-19 4:47 PM

Hi everyone!  Sorry I've fallen off the face of the earth.  Things got hectic at work and at home and I lost a little focus.  My training has fallen off a bit, but I have kept up with my running.  I find that running keeps me sane and centered, so I usually keep up with it even when life gets in my way.  Swimming and biking...well that's another story!  I hope to hit it hard again this week and get back to some serious training!

I've read the last page of posts and it seems that life is throwing obstacles at many of us, as it often does.  Sigh...just gotta keep moving forward.  I'm reading a book called "The Rhythm of Life" by Matthew Kelly.  I read something that I really liked and it seems appropriate to share.  "Have courage, smile, keep your chin up, laugh often, be kind to yourself, stay focused, be gracious and appreciative, think happy thoughts, and carry on regardless." 

I hope you are all well and I look forward to being active with the group!

Jacki

Jacki       Was just chatting about this kind of thing with my DW   going to tell her about the book you are reading.  Those words of wisdom seem so simple, yet hard to really achieve.       Running always does seem to help with things.      

I read this post at the gym yesterday and I spent the rest of the day smiling at people instead of frowning or avoiding eye contact...sometimes simple thoughts like that go a long way!!!

2012-02-22 8:29 AM
in reply to: #4057796

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-02-21 7:25 AM
quincyf - 2012-02-21 12:31 AM

Hi guys, my turn to return from falling off the face of the earth...I have felt like absolute crud for three whole days! WTH?!? Ice pick in the sinuses + no ibuprofen because my surgeon says so (sadist) + fever + no training = unhappy Q. But these breaks happen and it appears a lot of us are having the wrong week to stop sniffing glue, so let's just get over it, drop it, and move forward, shall we?

I know there are some specific aero bar fit questions (Todd) and other information floating around plus our upcoming swim QA, so let's get back to it tomorrow, refreshed from our long weekend...

But for now I'm going to bed...see you in the morning!

Q

If you were sniffing glue last week, then maybe you were not actually sick?   its glue in your sinuses?

Yup bad week for many of us!  sorry to hear that you were sick as well.    

Seriously, it feels like someone stuck a caulk gun up my nose and pulled the trigger! I did get a workout in yesterday and I DID feel better! Got your PM on the race situation...we need to get you guys down here for a visit, or us up there so we can figure everything out...

I say let's do Bigfoot and stay at a fun water park place for the kids...

I was shocked Door County sold out, is that the norm? Should we register for Racine? It didn't even sell out last year...and I was waiting to see what my shoulder does, but I don't want to miss it either...ugh????

2012-02-22 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Todd...

I think you should look at something like this...

The Fast Forward Aluminum is a triathlon and time trial specific seatpost that, when used with a standard road geometry frame, allows the rider to obtain a position 
commonly found with steeper seat-tube angled triathlon and time trial bikes.

• AL seatpost effectively changes a 73° seat tube angle frame to 78°
  • Moves the riding position forward up to 38mm
  • 6061-T6 aluminum construction

Diameter:27.2mm & 31.6mmLength:265mmOffset:38mmHead:2 Bolt, non-reversibleColor:Anodized matte blackWeight:300 grams (27.2)

2012-02-22 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

OK folks, happy thoughts! Gotta go feed the kids (they want to eat, like every day! it's exhausting!).

1. A lot of us have had a tough week...but we're still engaged here, even though we're complaining, which means we still care, which means we all will get back on the wagon, soon (I already have).

2. It's a tough time of year...at the Academy we called this stretch between Christmas vacation and Spring Break the "Dark Ages" and to this day, I still struggle with depression and the blahs...helps to recognize and name it. So, we're in the Dark Ages! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! There I feel better!

3. Personally I am in a great place, my son has started school and he is loving it and the teachers love him (for all of his 'issues' he is a sweet, funny kid and pretty pleasant to be around). I feel a lot better about it, and thanks for SO many of you coming forward with your stories...WOW! Made me feel so much better to hear how many kids have gotten help and gotten through 'rough patches.' Who's the mentoree now???

4. And on another personal victory note, I am going in for my 10 week post-op checkup which means, REHAB! and my surgeon doesn't know it yet, but he's gonna clear me to run today...

Smiles everyone, SMILES!!!

2012-02-22 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4060110

User image

Veteran
quincyf - 2012-02-22 9:39 AM

OK folks, happy thoughts! Gotta go feed the kids (they want to eat, like every day! it's exhausting!).

1. A lot of us have had a tough week...but we're still engaged here, even though we're complaining, which means we still care, which means we all will get back on the wagon, soon (I already have).

2. It's a tough time of year...at the Academy we called this stretch between Christmas vacation and Spring Break the "Dark Ages" and to this day, I still struggle with depression and the blahs...helps to recognize and name it. So, we're in the Dark Ages! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! There I feel better!

3. Personally I am in a great place, my son has started school and he is loving it and the teachers love him (for all of his 'issues' he is a sweet, funny kid and pretty pleasant to be around). I feel a lot better about it, and thanks for SO many of you coming forward with your stories...WOW! Made me feel so much better to hear how many kids have gotten help and gotten through 'rough patches.' Who's the mentoree now???

4. And on another personal victory note, I am going in for my 10 week post-op checkup which means, REHAB! and my surgeon doesn't know it yet, but he's gonna clear me to run today...

Smiles everyone, SMILES!!!

This literally made me laugh out loud! I don't know you that well but I can totally see you talking your surgeon into clearing you   Good luck!

2012-02-22 9:18 AM

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
Morning everyone.  Happy Hump Day.  I hope that everyone is doing well.  My legs are killing me today after 2.5 hours on the Spin Bike (only a 45 min class but I got there early to take out some aggression on the poor unsuspecting pedals) and a Half Hour swim afterwards.  I am walking like I'm about 90 years old.  Oh well, its provided some good humor in the office today. 

2012-02-22 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4060027

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Hello strangers!
quincyf - 2012-02-22 9:16 AM
oriolepwr - 2012-02-20 8:20 PM
DaDooRunRun - 2012-02-19 4:47 PM

Hi everyone!  Sorry I've fallen off the face of the earth.  Things got hectic at work and at home and I lost a little focus.  My training has fallen off a bit, but I have kept up with my running.  I find that running keeps me sane and centered, so I usually keep up with it even when life gets in my way.  Swimming and biking...well that's another story!  I hope to hit it hard again this week and get back to some serious training!

I've read the last page of posts and it seems that life is throwing obstacles at many of us, as it often does.  Sigh...just gotta keep moving forward.  I'm reading a book called "The Rhythm of Life" by Matthew Kelly.  I read something that I really liked and it seems appropriate to share.  "Have courage, smile, keep your chin up, laugh often, be kind to yourself, stay focused, be gracious and appreciative, think happy thoughts, and carry on regardless." 

I hope you are all well and I look forward to being active with the group!

Jacki

Jacki       Was just chatting about this kind of thing with my DW   going to tell her about the book you are reading.  Those words of wisdom seem so simple, yet hard to really achieve.       Running always does seem to help with things.      

I read this post at the gym yesterday and I spent the rest of the day smiling at people instead of frowning or avoiding eye contact...sometimes simple thoughts like that go a long way!!!

If there was a like button, I'd push it! 

2012-02-22 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4060230

User image

Veteran

mjh1975 - 2012-02-22 10:18 AM Morning everyone.  Happy Hump Day.  I hope that everyone is doing well.  My legs are killing me today after 2.5 hours on the Spin Bike (only a 45 min class but I got there early to take out some aggression on the poor unsuspecting pedals) and a Half Hour swim afterwards.  I am walking like I'm about 90 years old.  Oh well, its provided some good humor in the office today. 

Call me crazy, but I LOVE it when I get sore!  It means I worked and worked HARD!  Soreness = Progress!  So...GOOD JOB!

2012-02-22 3:19 PM
in reply to: #4061207

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
DaDooRunRun - 2012-02-22 3:15 PM

mjh1975 - 2012-02-22 10:18 AM Morning everyone.  Happy Hump Day.  I hope that everyone is doing well.  My legs are killing me today after 2.5 hours on the Spin Bike (only a 45 min class but I got there early to take out some aggression on the poor unsuspecting pedals) and a Half Hour swim afterwards.  I am walking like I'm about 90 years old.  Oh well, its provided some good humor in the office today. 

Call me crazy, but I LOVE it when I get sore!  It means I worked and worked HARD!  Soreness = Progress!  So...GOOD JOB!

I completely agree with you. 

2012-02-22 4:22 PM
in reply to: #4059647

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-02-21 11:00 PM

Apollo 13 quote 

[pause]

My favorite quote:  FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!  I have a hat from Kennedy Space Center with that quote.  I always remind myself of it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44