BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2012-01-22 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED

Got my longest run in a long time in today (6.5) and got back in time to catch the opening kickoff.  I've got an Ole Miss Rebel on all four teams today so I'm guaranteed to win.

Hope everyone has a good week.

2012-01-22 7:16 PM
in reply to: #4004658

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC

I guess there's something to be said for consistency. I was feeling pretty bummed (aka PO'd) after my 1st group track workout Tuesday, wondering where those d*n hills on the track came from, and all I did was 3 painfully slow miles. Did my prescribed 3 again on Wednesday & Thursday, and it sucked progressively less (if you don't count my klutz sprawl in the street). Had to miss yesterday's run bc of the white crap on the ground, but enough sidewalks were de-iced today for me to have a 95% clear route, and the 4 today, even after spin class, didn't totally suck. Maybe there's hope for me yet Tongue out

Tonight's agenda, the ultimate in endurance training: sleepover with 7 teen/pre-teen girls (no school tomorrow). Wish me luck!

2012-01-23 4:41 AM
in reply to: #4004957

User image

Expert
Canada
MarlaS - 2012-01-22 9:16 PM

Tonight's agenda, the ultimate in endurance training: sleepover with 7 teen/pre-teen girls (no school tomorrow). Wish me luck!

The ultimate endurance event!!!!

Good Luck!!!

2012-01-23 7:48 AM
in reply to: #4004558

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kenj - 2012-01-22 1:36 PM
IceManScott - 2012-01-22 11:25 AM
CarlaLThompson - 2012-01-22 9:58 AM

*  Power Meters       * Training with Power      * Power Testing Protocols

QOTD:  Who has trained with power and seen results of this specific type of training?

I know we  had a discussion earlier related to Power and Testing Protocols, etc... but I'd like to bring that back up again.

I just got the SRAM Quarq GXP Powermeter Compact Crank (S975) and plan to test my Threshold power using 2 x 20 min Testing Protocol.  Not looking forward to hurting for 40 min but if it means I finish my next Ironman in June it will be worth the effort.

Training with power is incredibly helpful if you have the spendable cash.  Unsure the benefit to the weekend warrior justifies the price tag.  I use Power Tap.  It was awesome with a trainer alone but incredible with a computrainer.  My coach can send me workout files and the computer "tells" me what to do. 

I agree with Ice on training with power, it is not inexpensive, but if you have a coach or a plan that you can follow and understand, the value of training with power is very valuable and you should see impressive gains, assuming you stay consistant with following your plan.

I have used 2 downloaded plans, the Jorge plan from this site is the one I am currently using and seeing 5- 7% gains every 4 weeks.  Curious what I would see when I don't miss a week a month of riding due to my travels.  I should be able to find out when I get home from this current trip as I should be home through the end of February, other than 1 over nighter in Feb. 

Carla, I am interested in how you do with the Quarq.  I currently have  PT, but am considering switching to the Quarq or the forth coming Garmin pedal system.  I am thinking of doing this for 2 reasons, one better choice of wheels, the other is so I can switch it between bikes. 

ETA, one other thing I will add about training with power, is there is no hiding from the results.  If you do the work it will show in the numbers.  If you do the work, you will also see the results.  I used to struggle with pushing myself hard enough on the bike. 

I'm wondering about the pedal based systems too.  But I invested on eBay in a deal and got 3 Bontrager Aerolus 5.0, two rear wheels and a front, including one with a rear PT hub so I have a race wheel and a training wheel.  The deal was too good...1800 for the complete PT and 3 wheels?  My first auction.So I'm set for a while.  I have PT cradles on two road bikes and my TT bike and only have to change out the rear wheel. Works pretty good. 

2012-01-23 9:37 AM

User image

Regular
Denver
kenj - 2012-01-22 1:36 PM

I agree with Ice on training with power, it is not inexpensive, but if you have a coach or a plan that you can follow and understand, the value of training with power is very valuable and you should see impressive gains, assuming you stay consistant with following your plan.

I have used 2 downloaded plans, the Jorge plan from this site is the one I am currently using and seeing 5- 7% gains every 4 weeks.  Curious what I would see when I don't miss a week a month of riding due to my travels.  I should be able to find out when I get home from this current trip as I should be home through the end of February, other than 1 over nighter in Feb. 

Carla, I am interested in how you do with the Quarq.  I currently have  PT, but am considering switching to the Quarq or the forth coming Garmin pedal system.  I am thinking of doing this for 2 reasons, one better choice of wheels, the other is so I can switch it between bikes. 

ETA, one other thing I will add about training with power, is there is no hiding from the results.  If you do the work it will show in the numbers.  If you do the work, you will also see the results.  I used to struggle with pushing myself hard enough on the bike. 

Ken,

"Will work for 5% - 7% Gains!" 

OMG, if I could just gain an extra 2 MPH Average I'd be ok... 3MPH Average I'd be estatic!  I bike so slow, that my bike "Beep's" to alert other riders that I'm moving in "Reverse" !!!! 

I rode it for the first time on the Computrainer on Saturday and I barely pushed 100 WATTS.  Add that to my weight (205lbs) and an incline 2% - 5%... not a winning combination.   

I will download the Jorge plan and read more about the suggestions there... but if I can see a gain by June 2012... I will be one very happy individual!

If I had the patience to wait for the Pedal Based Power Meter I think that would be the best way to go.  It allows the best flexibility across bikes and wheels.

Will let you know once I start and how "I go!" 

Keep sending good thoughts because I don't know myself to be a fast, strong cyclist... I just keep hoping that it will somehow be possible.

~Carla

2012-01-23 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4005251

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
GoGoGo - 2012-01-23 5:41 AM

Good Luck!!!

...could've been worse - stopped my daughter from brewing coffee as requested at 8:30 pm....

2012-01-23 1:14 PM

User image

Regular

Not sure if any of you are members of "The " , but there is a sale on Sugoi gear right now - some of it's 60% off.

https://www..com/invite-from/russrisher

I'm not sure if you have to have an invite to look at this stuff.  If you do, let me know your email and I can send it to you.  I think I get $10 credit if someone signs up.

Edited to try to fix the link - It's removing the website.  If this is against the forum rules in anyway, let me know and I will delete.

Edited by russrisher 2012-01-23 1:20 PM
2012-01-23 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4005765

User image

Expert
Canada
MarlaS - 2012-01-23 12:11 PM

Good Luck!!!

...could've been worse - stopped my daughter from brewing coffee as requested at 8:30 pm....

Ha-Ha...that IS Funny!!!

How old were they?

2012-01-23 4:18 PM

User image

Regular
Denver

Kenj,

You mentioned the Jorge Plan you were using with your Power Trainer... where would I find that here on BT?

I still find this site terribly difficult to navigate...

Directions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

~Carla

2012-01-23 4:40 PM
in reply to: #4006637

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
GoGoGo - 2012-01-23 4:30 PM
MarlaS - 2012-01-23 12:11 PM

Good Luck!!!

Ha-Ha...that IS Funny!!!

How old were they?

almost & just 13.. 7th graders. when I asked why, she said "but people drink it at home." no one could tell me if decaf or not... like i was really going to give them caffeine on top of the chocolate cake & ice cream they'd just polished off. this is also a group that also sneaks books & flashlights into their sleeping bags, so it could've been wilder...

2012-01-23 4:42 PM
in reply to: #4006732

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CarlaLThompson - 2012-01-23 5:18 PM

Kenj,

You mentioned the Jorge Plan you were using with your Power Trainer... where would I find that here on BT?

I still find this site terribly difficult to navigate...

Directions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

~Carla

Hi Carla!

The Jorge program is actually described at BT as a winter cycling program.  If you click programs it is the last available program if you page all the way down.  I think it refers to something like cycling with power program. 

2012-01-23 9:10 PM

New user
Walterboro

I just got my elite fluid trainer and went for my first ride tonight. I have a real hang up with having to konw how far I've gone and how fast I was going.  I have a Cats II bike computer.  I moved my sensor to the rear wheel but I don't think it was giving and accurate reading.  My speed was considerably slower with what I feel like would have been a much faster speed with the same effort outside.  I wish there was a better way to keep up with speed and time on the trainer.  Anyone have any ideas? 

2012-01-23 9:56 PM
in reply to: #4007205

User image

Regular
Denver
Wesley12 - 2012-01-23 9:10 PM

I just got my elite fluid trainer and went for my first ride tonight. I have a real hang up with having to konw how far I've gone and how fast I was going.  I have a Cats II bike computer.  I moved my sensor to the rear wheel but I don't think it was giving and accurate reading.  My speed was considerably slower with what I feel like would have been a much faster speed with the same effort outside.  I wish there was a better way to keep up with speed and time on the trainer.  Anyone have any ideas? 

Wesley, double check your rear sensors... I have always had my sensors on the rear tire and feel that my readings are accurate based on both indoors and outdoor training sessions. 

The drag on  your rear wheel may be greater on your trainer than outside... and depending on the fly wheel weight and pressure against your tire you may be riding "slower" indoors. 

I would trust the equipment reading.  I have a very old Cateye along with my Garmin 310XT and I get similar readings from both with respect to speed indoors vs outside. 

Let us know how it goes.

~Carla

2012-01-23 9:58 PM
in reply to: #4006777

User image

Regular
Denver
kenj - 2012-01-23 4:42 PM

Hi Carla!

The Jorge program is actually described at BT as a winter cycling program.  If you click programs it is the last available program if you page all the way down.  I think it refers to something like cycling with power program. 

Found it... reading now... Interesting!!!

2012-01-23 10:04 PM
in reply to: #4007262

User image

Regular
Denver

Hi Carla!

Kenj,

Q.  So... where it says to go @ 80 - 85% of CP... is there a way to set your Garmin for that threshold?

2012-01-24 5:42 AM

User image

Expert

I get the same thing. I have a very basic trainer from Nashabar and i think the resistance is just higher indoors. I am enjoying all the banter about tech. I am about as low tech as can be when it comes to training. It kills me to spend a nickel on this stuff. I have been riding the same $400 bike for six years with all the same parts (except tires and pedals). I know that I am in the minority too. I figure I need to lose fifty pounds from my gut before any new bikes parts would make the journey lighter....

2012-01-24 7:20 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Wesley12 - 2012-01-23 10:10 PM

It may or may not be accurate, but it is only relavent to other rides on the trainer for the reasons Carla mentioned.  For a while I had 2 trainers, one was a Kurt Kinetic and the other a Cycle Ops.  Both comparable fluid trainer.  There was a 5 mph difference in avg. speed with the same power readings consistantly.  The Kurt Kinetic would have me struggling to avg 14 mph and I could easily do over 20 on the Cycle Ops.  So I sold the Kinetic.  

But where it is relevant is in measuring your efforts against previous trainer rides.  HR helps with that too if you have a monitor.

Enjoy the fitness gains the new trainer will bring you!

2012-01-24 7:26 AM
in reply to: #4007268

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CarlaLThompson - 2012-01-23 11:04 PM

Hi Carla!

Kenj,

Q.  So... where it says to go @ 80 - 85% of CP... is there a way to set your Garmin for that threshold?

Yes, I have loaded the workouts into the Garmin before.  It has been a while though and I don't have my users manual with me here.  I beleive it is in the training menu when you are in the bike mode.  It is a handy feature that I never remember to program ahead of time.

If I don't remember to post the instructions this weekend when I get home, remind me and I will do that.  Did you do the test to determine your CP?  I don't know if you saw the link on the instruction page that gives you the instructions for the test and once the test is done you can load in your results and it will give you your CP and all the training ranges.

Have fun with it!

2012-01-24 4:59 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

The 3 weeks with the boot has flown by - today is the first day without it.  Ken you asked earlier whether I think it helped my pf. It is definately not worse and I think it is slowly (very slowly) getting better but I doubt it had anything to do with the boot. Being on my feet (walking, standing, etc...) seems to be the driving force here.  When I am not on my feet for the day it feels good and vice versa. Still continuing to stretch, ice, sleep in the sock, etc.... til it dissapears (which will hopefully be soon!)

Got a great swim in today - my main set was 4x500's all of which came in within 5 seconds of each other. 

I hope everyone is having a great week!  Ken soak up some of that sun for me!

2012-01-24 5:35 PM

User image

Expert
Canada

Work got the best of yesterday.

Today was a little aggravating...what better reason to "run it out"

10k for me on treadmill...

Edited by GoGoGo 2012-01-24 5:37 PM
2012-01-24 9:42 PM
in reply to: #4007377

User image

Master
Sin City
gator22 - 2012-01-24 3:42 AM

I get the same thing. I have a very basic trainer from Nashabar and i think the resistance is just higher indoors. I am enjoying all the banter about tech. I am about as low tech as can be when it comes to training. It kills me to spend a nickel on this stuff. I have been riding the same $400 bike for six years with all the same parts (except tires and pedals). I know that I am in the minority too. I figure I need to lose fifty pounds from my gut before any new bikes parts would make the journey lighter....

Trainer indoors and outdoor speed rarely are exact.   When you're outside, you can coast, and when you go downhills you can go incredible high speeds. On the trainer, you can't do that. You're consistently pedaling. 

I'm about 2-3mph slower on the trainer than I am outside. I do find that I go lower effort as I'm not on daunting hills like in Vegas.  I normally go on a trainer for shorter rides/intervals/drills, etc.

Don't worry about the speed.  When I'm on the trainer, I log it as TRAINER, and put in 15 per hour (if it's 30 min, I put in 7.5mi for example), because I know I avg 15mph outside.

Instead, focus more on your cadence, that doesn't change.   I don't use Power, so I don't know if watts is the same in and out. 

2012-01-24 9:43 PM
in reply to: #4009001

User image

Master
Sin City
GoGoGo - 2012-01-24 3:35 PM

How did you do? :-)   Sometimes when I'm feeling frustrated from school or just damn annoyed, I go for a quick run, and find that I'm a min/mi faster than I normally am, and it feels great! Perhaps someone can p*$$ me off before race day...:-

2012-01-24 10:21 PM
in reply to: #4007484

User image

Regular
Denver
kenj - 2012-01-24 7:26 AM

Yes, I have loaded the workouts into the Garmin before.  It has been a while though and I don't have my users manual with me here.  I beleive it is in the training menu when you are in the bike mode.  It is a handy feature that I never remember to program ahead of time.

If I don't remember to post the instructions this weekend when I get home, remind me and I will do that.  Did you do the test to determine your CP?  I don't know if you saw the link on the instruction page that gives you the instructions for the test and once the test is done you can load in your results and it will give you your CP and all the training ranges.

Have fun with it!

I see on the Garmin under Bike > Training > Custom that I can program an Interval, say Time = 5 min and have a Power Commitment...

Q.  Is that what you mean by "Loading workouts into your Garmin"?

I have not yet done the Power Test... I think I'm a little nervous to "See how I go"... the hiding is over and the stats will be posted...  Stats are personal, yet I'll have to share them with my coach(s) <-- including you guys here on BT!  ;-

Kenj - I plan to just test for 1 x 20 min Max Effort.  Just to get a baseline.  I see the link that you gave me and the testing protocol (1 x 20 min + 1 x 5 min)... and had someone simply advise me to use 1 x 20 min.

I feel like there is so much input regarding Power... how to test and how to train... I hope I can find a happy medium with respect to information overload and  trusting my "Primary Coach".

2012-01-25 4:35 AM
in reply to: #4009462

User image

Expert
Canada
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-24 11:43 PM
GoGoGo - 2012-01-24 3:35 PM

How did you do? :-)   Sometimes when I'm feeling frustrated from school or just damn annoyed, I go for a quick run, and find that I'm a min/mi faster than I normally am, and it feels great! Perhaps someone can p*$$ me off before race day...:-

I agree, this is often the case!!!!

2012-01-25 7:01 AM
in reply to: #4008921

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2012-01-24 5:59 PM

The 3 weeks with the boot has flown by - today is the first day without it.  Ken you asked earlier whether I think it helped my pf. It is definately not worse and I think it is slowly (very slowly) getting better but I doubt it had anything to do with the boot. Being on my feet (walking, standing, etc...) seems to be the driving force here.  When I am not on my feet for the day it feels good and vice versa. Still continuing to stretch, ice, sleep in the sock, etc.... til it dissapears (which will hopefully be soon!)

Got a great swim in today - my main set was 4x500's all of which came in within 5 seconds of each other. 

I hope everyone is having a great week!  Ken soak up some of that sun for me!

I will send some your way!  But, sadly I am packing up and heading home today. 

Nice work in the pool!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72