BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-02-17 1:20 PM
in reply to: #4049535

User image

New user
Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED
tmoran80 - 2012-02-15 3:12 PM

Congrats on signing up!  I remember waiting in line for hours last September in Madison then finally getting to the room where you register and having a fleeting thought of just turning around and running.  It all good though - its crazy how you can go from fearing the race to thinking its manageable.  Good luck 

Batlou - 2012-02-15 9:15 AM

Well it Official!  My Wife and I talked more last night about IronMan Louisville and i'm in for 2012.  The weird part is that my initial excitement has been taken over by complete fear and dread.  Ackk, what the heck am I doing?!  Guess it's time to step up my game and get on it.  Only thing left to do now is pay the 600 bucks to register and start training. 

Congrats on signing up! It's going to be an epic journey! :-)

Lol! I, too, had the same thought of turning around and running! I'm also sorry to hear about your dog, Tim. Mine's only 6 and I can't imagine what a mess I'll be when his time comes.

Rest day today! I had a bike test that killed me Tuesday but my FTP went up a little so that was good. Run intervals Wed and then bike intervals yesterday.  Was supposed to 2x10'@95-100% but had to break it down to 4x5. It was tough but got 'er done and today is REST!  Wahoo!  Gonna leave work a little early to take Murph to the beach and curl up on the couch with some movies tonight.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2012-02-18 6:28 AM
in reply to: #3943322

User image

Veteran

YEAH BRIAN!!  Welcome to IM land - it is going to be a fun ride.  I will be doing a group ride or 2 wth the I am tri group this sumer.  Also will be supporting some other friends on the 26th.  Glad I will have the chance to cheer you on as well.

KC - Please have fun with your skiing this weekend, and don't try to break it up with a lap swom in the middle.  You won't miss out on much by skipping a swim this early in the training.

Coach - have fun in vegas.

Saakat - What beach are you heading to?

So, I am going to try some easy running today.  After 2+weeks of only swim or elliptical I am yearning for the  road.  Hip feels mostly back into shape - we will see after an easy 3-4 miles

2012-02-18 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4054225

User image

Expert

Good luck - hope everything goes good.  When is your marathon?

Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-02-18 6:28 AM

So, I am going to try some easy running today.  After 2+weeks of only swim or elliptical I am yearning for the  road.  Hip feels mostly back into shape - we will see after an easy 3-4 miles

2012-02-18 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4054326

User image

Veteran

April 22.  getting to point where I may have to recognize that if I do it, it will be just to finish.  Did 3 ish miles this morning.  Felt ok, sore, but no sharp pains.  So, decent start.

tmoran80 - 2012-02-18 9:39 AM

2012-02-18 7:38 PM
in reply to: #4054385

User image

Expert

Well at least that is a good sign that you felt ok today.    You still have a decent amount of time so just take it slow and you will be fine.

Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-02-18 10:14 AM

April 22.  getting to point where I may have to recognize that if I do it, it will be just to finish.  Did 3 ish miles this morning.  Felt ok, sore, but no sharp pains.  So, decent start.

tmoran80 - 2012-02-18 9:39 AM

2012-02-18 7:39 PM

User image

Expert

So I've been really focusing on those swim tips everyone gave me but it is hard to analyze yourself in the water!  i just found this video and I think it explains exactly what you guys were talking about.  Right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LqqNO3WYZ0

2012-02-19 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran

Tim - great swim video!

I got in a swim (had to circle with a complete ) non stop 30 minutes did 1700 yards.  then ran upstairs to the rowing machine for 25 minutes, then an easy mile on the indoor track.  Wanted to run more, but the hip was starting to get sore.  Felt good to be that active today.

Let's all get ready for a great week!

2012-02-19 4:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Check out swimsmooth.com of you haven't.  Mr. Smooth is an avatar with the "perfect" stroke in their estimation. 

I'm tapering to a FTP test to update my numbers on Tuesday. Then start my running clubs warm-up group on Wednesday with k bells and a short vo2 test on the bike...

Last week of work as a newspaperman coming up.  Weird but good.

Thinking about mentoring for a beginner's program my tri club does.  Also will probably do the online training course for tri coaches at international triathlon coaching asso.

2012-02-20 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4055708

User image

Expert

My sister and I were talking at a party yesterday about how her daughter (15) needs to get a job and then we started reminising on our paper routes growing up.  We then realized that they probably don't have kids delivering papers or paper routes anymore.  Crazy how with the internet we are actually seeing a complete industry, something that all of us grew up with be eliminated. I think I mentioned before my cousin was let go over 2 years ago and has to go back to school because he can't find anything in the industry. 

I have no doubt you are gonna keep yourself busy and and will actually be better off!  Have you ever thought off writing a syndicated column that would go along with your book?

IceManScott - 2012-02-19 4:52 PM

Check out swimsmooth.com of you haven't.  Mr. Smooth is an avatar with the "perfect" stroke in their estimation. 

I'm tapering to a FTP test to update my numbers on Tuesday. Then start my running clubs warm-up group on Wednesday with k bells and a short vo2 test on the bike...

Thinking about mentoring for a beginner's program my tri club does.  Also will probably do the online training course for tri coaches at international triathlon coaching asso.

2012-02-20 11:30 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Back safe and sound. Will check posts later today to see what has been going on.

This is my 4th week and a scheduled recovery week - off to the pool right now for a little technique work.

Have a great day team.

KC

2012-02-20 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4056418

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
tmoran80 - 2012-02-20 9:07 AM

My sister and I were talking at a party yesterday about how her daughter (15) needs to get a job and then we started reminising on our paper routes growing up.  We then realized that they probably don't have kids delivering papers or paper routes anymore.  Crazy how with the internet we are actually seeing a complete industry, something that all of us grew up with be eliminated. I think I mentioned before my cousin was let go over 2 years ago and has to go back to school because he can't find anything in the industry. 

I have no doubt you are gonna keep yourself busy and and will actually be better off!  Have you ever thought off writing a syndicated column that would go along with your book?

IceManScott - 2012-02-19 4:52 PM

Great idea when I'm famous!

2012-02-20 10:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Hey team!

I finally got caught up on posts here.  This weekend was hectic between racing in a 10k and going down to Illinois to visit my in-laws, and visiting my grandma at her new place.  I had the best run of my life in the 10k Saturday.  Not sure how to explain it, other than it felt like someone else was running for me.  I felt awesome, and was flying!  Ended up getting a new PR by 5 minutes, 49:40, and placed 5th in my age group.  I'm loving the results I am seeing from my training so far, especially on the run.

This is a recovery week for me too, and I am looking forward to it for sure.  My husband caught the stomach bug going around, so I am trying to keep my distance as much as possible so I don't get it...

Tomorrow is my favorite Polish holiday- Paczk Day.  Here's a link in case you don't know what that is...I will be in line at the Polish bakery tomorrow after Masters for mine!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paczki

2012-02-21 7:58 AM

User image

Expert

Started week 2 of training today.  Week 1 went well so hopefully they can continue.

While at the pool today, one the Master swimmers (actually my dentist-haha) noticed something in my stroke.  I had also noticed it in the training video also but what I am doing is after my entry I am making a movement my catch almost too high and in front of my face.  I worked on it a little and it felt weird but think it helped.  So hopefully with that and the left arm extension I can start to see my times decrease.  We'll see....

I also finally finalized my race schedule for the year to fit my IM plan.

• May 20 - Galena Triathlon (sprint)
  • June 16 - Rockford Triathlon (Olympic)
  • July 15 - Racine 70.3 
  • August 5 - Oshkosh Triathlon (Olympic)
  • September 9 - Wisconsin Ironman

2012-02-21 8:28 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

Happy Paczki Day Jenn.

Tim - glad to hear your firs week went well. I would be interested in seeing your plan if you care to share it. Week 4 - taper week- started yesterday for me. I am still a bit indifferent about my plan to be honest. I know I have to be patient and build but some of it seems so remedial. As an example, yesterday called for only an 18 minute run and today a 15 minute 3.8 mile bike ride - does that make sense to anyone? I know it is a taper week but it does just not seem like enough. I am making some adjustments to it on my own as I go but would appreciate some feedback.

FYI - I built this plan right here on BT.

Thanks Team.

Have a great day.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2012-02-21 8:31 AM
2012-02-21 11:12 AM
in reply to: #4057910

User image

Expert

KC - How many hours are you putting in this week?  i looked at your logs and you seem good.  What type of workouts are the 18 minute run and 15 minute bike?  That does seem kind of short but a what intensity is it at?

The one thing that I really like about the Fink program is the consistency of each workout:

• Mon - Rest Day
  • Tue - Swim (2500-3500yards)   / run
  • Wed - 30 minute bike / 15 min run BRICK (average)
  • Thu - swim (2500-3500yards) / 100+rpm bike
  • Fri - run (during base and peak phase a 3rd swim is added on Friday)
  • Sat - Long bike
  • Sun - Long run

It stays like that every week so I pretty much know what I am doing without even having to look at my plan.  The times change a bit.  Plus everything is done in Z2 and based off of time.  During the build and peak he throws in some short Z4 efforts at the end workouts.  I think that if I can stick with this I will be more than ready for the race come September. 

I can scan the plan out of the book to give you a better understanding if you want.  Just message me.

kcgolf - 2012-02-21 8:28 AM

Good Morning Team.

Happy Paczki Day Jenn.

Tim - glad to hear your firs week went well. I would be interested in seeing your plan if you care to share it. Week 4 - taper week- started yesterday for me. I am still a bit indifferent about my plan to be honest. I know I have to be patient and build but some of it seems so remedial. As an example, yesterday called for only an 18 minute run and today a 15 minute 3.8 mile bike ride - does that make sense to anyone? I know it is a taper week but it does just not seem like enough. I am making some adjustments to it on my own as I go but would appreciate some feedback.

FYI - I built this plan right here on BT.

Thanks Team.

Have a great day.

KC

2012-02-21 5:47 PM

User image

SE North Carolina

I need some advice on what to do about an upcomming race, Ive signed up for a sprint race on the 10th of March, then I have the first half marathon the very next weekend that Ive signed up for. Im doing the Hal Higdon training program and Im scheduled to run a 10 mile run the same weekend as the sprint, the 10 mile run would be the longest run Ive ever done....Should i do the sprint and when Im done get some more miles in later that day...I really think its important to get that 10 miles in...

2012-02-21 6:44 PM
in reply to: #4059346

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Team.

Kevin-

From my point of view - just simply get some more miles in later that day. I am going to be faced with this same dilema after a few early season sprints that also fall on longer training days so I plan on just doing more that day to cover my planned distances.

Hope all is well.

KC

MANDOWN - 2012-02-21 6:47 PM

I need some advice on what to do about an upcomming race, Ive signed up for a sprint race on the 10th of March, then I have the first half marathon the very next weekend that Ive signed up for. Im doing the Hal Higdon training program and Im scheduled to run a 10 mile run the same weekend as the sprint, the 10 mile run would be the longest run Ive ever done....Should i do the sprint and when Im done get some more miles in later that day...I really think its important to get that 10 miles in...

Edited by kcgolf 2012-02-21 6:45 PM
2012-02-22 6:57 AM

User image

Veteran
MANDOWN - 2012-02-21 6:47 PM

I would think about which race is more important to you, then adjust your plan accordingly.  If the 1/2 is more important - move your 10 mile run up a day or 2.  You may be tired for the sprint tri, but you won't be dong too much in 1 day.  If the tri is more important - race it hard, then do a 10 miler the next day or even 2 days later.  It does seem like the most important part for you is to run a full 10 miles nonstop to give you confidence for your 1/2 - so I would do whatever you can to run 10 nonstop.

Hope that does notmuddy the training waters for you.  Good luck with both! 

2012-02-22 7:24 AM

User image

SE North Carolina
the half is more important to me, Ive been training for it since jan 1, Ive done a couple of sprints so Ill keep my focus on the half since I havent done one...
2012-02-22 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

I almost feel guilty posting here now I have been MIA so much. I would do the sprint, cross the line then keep going until you hit 10miles. Last year I rode my bike to a sprint (only 8km) did the race, biked home then did a 5km run. From a pure "training" perspective I cant say that it is truly benificial but it did give me a good idea of what it was like to run and continue to run after feeling that my body was wasted. It was a good mental work out.

2012-02-22 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
MANDOWN - 2012-02-21 5:47 PM

This comes up a lot during B and C races training for A races.  Just train through them.  Add on the miles you are scheduled to do.  Make certain you stretch and do the other recovery things you need to do after your sprint to avoid injuries if you stop for awards and such and tighten up, but go for it. 

2012-02-22 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Cruel or Unusual Punishment?

The winter here seems to be winding down so I am thinking about riding to work. Work is about 20km from home so a relitively short ride but miles are miles (right?). I have 2 bikes to subject to the abuses of sand, salt and general dirt at least untill the roads are cleaned up a bit. SO should I take the Cervello P1 tri bike or my Klein Attitude mountain bike with slicks. I dislike the slowness of the Klein but worry about the skinny tires on the P1. Both are pampered babies

Training has been okay at best. I am jaming alot of work outs into the last week or so of Feb as the start of a 4 month ramp up. I am still undecided on races, I am doing the 100mile,100km charity ride might check out an extera and might do a HIM again this fall. Still undecided.

2012-02-22 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I did my FTP test last night on the bike after battling a migraine yesterday morning.  I went up to 297 from 288.  Progress.  But I was higher at 15 mins, just couldn't hold it to 20 mins.  I was feeling out of gas, running at 96 rpm when 88 to 90 would have been best.  Live and learn.  We will work with this for now, I'm told as we head into the LT phase of training.  That will be pushing hard to my lactate threshold and holding it for longer and longer periods. Race ready!  Will have to work in hill repeats. Time trials will start when the daylight allows.  Bike 4-5X a week.

Continuing strength training with kettle bells.  Swims X2 to X3/week.  Running club season-start program begins tonight.  Ought to be OK with that.  Run will be 3X a week. One speed work (with the club), one long base run and a moderate distance tempo run.

Sticking with Paleo but going to target calories (mostly liquid and gels) around longer workouts.

Last day at the paper is Friday.  Then looking for work to do, maybe the International Triathlon Coaching Asso certification, book writing.  Excited

Edited by IceManScott 2012-02-22 8:26 AM
2012-02-22 6:38 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

I hope everyone is having a great day.

DaveL – once a member of RFP, always a member- great to see you and nice to see you are doing well – tough choice about which bike to use right now though.

IceMan – as usual you motivate us all – very excite for you and the next step in your life – you will rock it!

Off to the pool – wish me luck.

KC

2012-02-23 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Hi group, I am just getting back on schedule after a 5 day bender in vegas.  I did manage to do 1 workout mt biking in redrock.  I hope to catch up with posts but I am still about 72hrs behind in sleep as the earliest we went in at night was around 4am (vegas time 7am our time)

So how is your schedule going?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 43