BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-06-14 6:07 AM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Originally posted by Hoos
Originally posted by slornow

Anyone racing this weekend?

Oooh oooh oooh Mr. Kotter!!

Saturday morning, I'm doing my first Oly.  Wish me luck!

Anybody got any inspirational (or funny) "first time at a new distance" stories?

I don't have any funny stories, but you can remind yourself that you are about to PR since you've never done the distance!  The question can become "how big of a PR do I want?" when things get tough!  Good luck.  Have fun.

2013-06-14 6:18 AM
in reply to: d3term1ned

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Good luck Scott and Suzy! Anyone else this weekend?

I'm doing a 3.3 trail race. I'm not really going to race it since I have limited trail experience. I'm just going to have fun
2013-06-14 6:21 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Jimmy...that is a BEAUTIFUL bike!

No racing for me, but I'm just heading out to ride the HIM course with a group this morning. Fortunately, the 100 degree heat broke when a 'cold' front came through last night, and today's high is only 86.
2013-06-14 7:30 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Scott,

I don't know if it is funny or not, but my first Olympic I was severely undertrained for the bike. It was a small race and I did not have a cycle computer. At one point I went about five miles on the bike without seeing a single other competitor. I was hurting badly from my undertraining and I became convinced that I had missed a turn somewhere and that I was off course, and surely must have ridden (at least) 30 miles at that point....... Until I came to a labelled turn that also had a sign telling me that I was at the 15 mile point on the bike. I almost cried when I realized I had almost 10 miles left and then a 10K run.

Suzy,

Sounds like a really cool event. We had a ride like that last weekend in Michigan (Michigan Mountain Mayhem, 10,000 feet of climbing in 130 miles I have been told) that someone offered me their bib number to do it but it did not fit in to the family or training schedule.

Jim,

That bike looks very familiar. Mine is the exact same paint scheme. I am glad that you are enjoying it so much.

I am back on the training band-wagon after two days off. It feels good to get moving again, although I will admit that it felt pretty good to sit around too.
2013-06-14 7:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Calgary, AB
Originally posted by SSMinnow
Originally posted by Hoos

Anyone racing this weekend?

Oooh oooh oooh Mr. Kotter!!

Saturday morning, I'm doing my first Oly.  Wish me luck!

Anybody got any inspirational (or funny) "first time at a new distance" stories?

I don't have any funny stories, but you can remind yourself that you are about to PR since you've never done the distance!  The question can become "how big of a PR do I want?" when things get tough!  Good luck.  Have fun.

Hey, I forgot about that!  Good call.  Always a good idea to set a PR that can then be easily trumped with another PR down the road.  Smile

I actually have another Oly on the calendar in July -- and that one is a much flatter course, at sea level (vs. my training at altitude) -- so conditions should bode well for a better time.  Hence the goal here is just to set a low enough bar...  !

Jason  -- good story / cautionary tale about the bike.  I may be in a similar boat -- the bike course is 20km of pretty solid uphill, and 20 km of pretty solid downhill.  I may be ready to cry at the turnaround -- but it's all fun and games on the return!

Edited by Hoos 2013-06-14 7:54 AM
2013-06-14 7:57 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Oh, and as a follow up, when I finished the Olympic race I swore that I would never, ever do a race longer than an Olympic because only the truly insane would do something longer than that.......

2013-06-14 11:14 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Scott-good luck at the race. I find the olympic distance to be really challenging.  Often it seems that people kind of lump sprints and olympics together but the olympic distance is usually at least twice the distance of a sprint.....so at least 2X the pain. Don't overcook the bike. 10k is still a long way to run/walk/shuffle/stumble/crawl....... I know you appreciate all the encouragement

Well, finally back to training today. Easy 5 mile run this morning. May do 20-30 minute swim at lunch then this evening I need to clean up all of my race stuff, clean my bike and take the race wheels off. The next race I have on the calendar is an olympic at the Gulf in early September. My coach thinks I should do AG Nationals in Milwaukee in August...the olympic on Saturday and the sprint on Sunday.  I'm leaning toward doing it but frankly am scared of what my bike workouts are going to look like over the next couple of months....lots of brutal intervals. That plus a "swim focus" to work on speed don't make the training sound too appealing.  Guess I'm just a wimp.

Jim-that is a great looking bike. Hope you enjoy it.  Nothing like a new bike to make riding even more fun! Wishing lots of safe and fast miles on it! 

2013-06-14 11:20 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Scott-good luck at the race. I find the olympic distance to be really challenging.  Often it seems that people kind of lump sprints and olympics together but the olympic distance is usually at least twice the distance of a sprint.....so at least 2X the pain. Don't overcook the bike. 10k is still a long way to run/walk/shuffle/stumble/crawl....... I know you appreciate all the encouragement

Well, finally back to training today. Easy 5 mile run this morning. May do 20-30 minute swim at lunch then this evening I need to clean up all of my race stuff, clean my bike and take the race wheels off. The next race I have on the calendar is an olympic at the Gulf in early September. My coach thinks I should do AG Nationals in Milwaukee in August...the olympic on Saturday and the sprint on Sunday.  I'm leaning toward doing it but frankly am scared of what my bike workouts are going to look like over the next couple of months....lots of brutal intervals. That plus a "swim focus" to work on speed don't make the training sound too appealing.  Guess I'm just a wimp.

Jim-that is a great looking bike. Hope you enjoy it.  Nothing like a new bike to make riding even more fun! Wishing lots of safe and fast miles on it! 

2013-06-14 12:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Calgary, AB

Yeah... that's some fine mentoring there Randy Laughing   Would hate to see your motivational speech in the locker room before a big football game!

Good advice though.  Hopefully the downhill bike portion will help preserve the legs for the run.  

The swim is 3x the distance which is the most daunting.  Luckily it's set up as 2 loops of 750m so there's a natural break.

Scott.

Edited by Hoos 2013-06-14 12:37 PM
2013-06-14 2:58 PM

User image

Had an absolutely fantastic 51 mile ride (my first ride beyond 40 miles) with a small group from the local tri club this morning. The weather was absolutely PERFECT (85 was the high and a lovely cool breeze). Keep in mind that it was also 99 degrees here yesterday, so 85 felt like an Alberta Clipper had moved in.

One of my friends cut her ride short, so was riding back in solo when she was pushed off the road by a car. She took a tumble, has some scrapes and bruises and her bars were tweaked, but fortunately, she's okay.
2013-06-14 3:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Jim - great bike! Looks awesome, and I love the wheels.

Scott - good luck with the OLY. I think it's a lot of fun doing new distances, so just remember to enjoy the new experience ;-)

I'm not racing this weekend, but my Dad is. It's his first triathlon and he's doing a new race organised by my club. I'll be there marshalling with my husband and my mum, so I'm looking forward to seeing him complete his first race. Comically, he's managed to work out that he will come 2nd in his AG (M65-69), but if he was in the category above or below he'd be coming first ;-) I'm both incredibly proud of him for doing it, and really nervous on his behalf. Possibly more nervous than he is!

2013-06-14 5:36 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

One of my friends cut her ride short, so was riding back in solo when she was pushed off the road by a car. She took a tumble, has some scrapes and bruises and her bars were tweaked, but fortunately, she's okay.

so scary! Glad she's ok!
2013-06-14 8:38 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

New user
Originally posted by chapfallen

I'm not racing this weekend, but my Dad is. It's his first triathlon and he's doing a new race organised by my club.

That is awesome, his first tri on Fathers Day weekend! Let us know how he does!

Scott, good luck on the Oly....and the whole twice the pain thing!!!

Jim, that bike is beautiful! I like how happy your rides have sounded on the new ride!

I have a group ride Sunday. My Y pool has been frustrating with the heavy kid population right now. One whole lane open today! 3 people in it so I asked one of the young people doing a class for kids if I could do laps between the one lane and the lesson area. He said sure but the other instructors kept floating their kids in the way. Ugh I am gonna try one tomorrow at a location with both indoor and outdoor pools and hope it is better.
2013-06-15 2:06 AM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Champion
Hi all. Morning/night from France. It has been a busy week. In Paris and I'm not even attempting to build my bike and ride it here. Traffic is insane. Waiting till Nice for that. Coach says to run/swim/walk everyday. Today is just for walking. Hips are a bit tight from tourist walking. Lol.

Good luck to those racing this weekend!
2013-06-15 2:20 AM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by mndymond

Hi all. Morning/night from France. It has been a busy week. In Paris and I'm not even attempting to build my bike and ride it here. Traffic is insane. Waiting till Nice for that. Coach says to run/swim/walk everyday. Today is just for walking. Hips are a bit tight from tourist walking. Lol.

Enjoy Paris! I love walking around there, there's just stuff to see everywhere. Good plan not trying to cycle though, the drivers are terrifying.

Can't wait to hear about IM France. We nearly did it last year, but then opted for Switzerland because our friend was doing it and the hills were rather more friendly.
2013-06-15 8:58 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by mndymond

Ok. My second DCRainmaker recommendation in a week. He has been living there for over a year and on his blog has a list of places to swim/bik/run while in Paris. It is pretty good. Check it out if you have a chance. I swear I am not getting any kickbacks for directing web traffic to him.

2013-06-15 11:33 AM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Good workout this morning for the most part 10K worth of running, and a 21 mile bike ride today. Everything was great until 8 miles into the ride when I joined the crash club, went down making a U-turn in a cul-de-sac, not too bad only one banged up elbow and a cut up thumb no broken bones but I'm sure i'll be stiff in the morning.
2013-06-15 3:05 PM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I'm back from Horribly Hilly experience and I can safely say there was no walking or tipping over today!  Rained the first hour and then was overcast and very humid so we totally lucked out on the weather.  I'm happy with the day overall.  I've not attempted terrain like this so early in the season so I am hoping it bodes well for the rest of the build to IM WI!

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

PS.  I am totally jealous of your time in Paris (now go stretch!)

2013-06-15 7:50 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Learned to change a flat today (no, I didn't have one...just had a little tri club bike maintenance/tire changing seminar and came home to practice). Sometimes it's the little successes...
2013-06-15 8:36 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Calgary, AB

Oly is complete!   Quickie version of a race report:  

Swim was, in a word, phenomenal.  Given my experience with open-water swimming last year, I was apprehensive going in.  This time -- at 3x the distance -- had zero issues, swam confidently, and set a PR for 1500m (even faster than the pool).  Woohoo!  Couldn't believe how well this went.

Bike was also above expectations.  There was a bit of wind (better than I'd feared, but worse than I'd hoped!) which made the outbound uphill 20km rather slow -- but man, was I ever screaming on the return trip -- downhill, downwind.  Averaged >26 km/hr for the round trip, which I've never done over such a long distance.

The run... well, let's just say that Randy is a wise prophet.  Smile   Disappointed with the run.  I think -- much like with the half-marathon a few weeks back, once I started to cross into "never exercised this long before" territory, my body didn't know what to do.  So -- did a fair bit of run/walk.  Weather didn't help -- it was warmer than usual with a beating sun and no breeze on the run course.

On the whole -- my time was 3:21 which is not super fast, but probably on the faster end of what I'd expected.  (and of course, still a PR!)  The run will come as my body gets used to long distance events.  The real victory for me is the swim.   I have another Oly on the schedule for July, hoping to beat today's time.

Scott

2013-06-15 9:47 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Good job Scott!!

2013-06-16 1:55 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Champion
Hey Jason! Thanks for the recommendation! I took out one of the "velib" bikes this morning and rode around this and took this picture....NBD.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (33KB - 7 downloads)
2013-06-16 6:39 AM

User image

Well done Scott, I would be (or rather I will be) delighted with a 3:20 for a first Oly, can't wait to hear how much you improve on your second one, knowing what to expect and all.

Melissa - I'm jealous... lol

I've done my longest ride yet, just over 27 miles and even though I'm delighted with the distance, I can't help but feel disappointed that I'm not seeing progress on speed ... Today the weather was lovely and there were lots of cyclists out, and they were all passing me... MUCH faster... Anyway, next sunday I've a sprint and that should be a better measure of progress I guess.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/328487780

I have my second OWS later on today, looking forward to it.
Have a great sunday everyone!
2013-06-16 9:19 AM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Well done Scott!!

Melissa...I'm green with envy. First Hawaii, now France. I'm living vicariously through your travels at this point!
2013-06-16 10:41 AM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Scott, awesome job my first oly is October so I am excited for it. Melissa, very jealous France looks awesome, my wife spent some time there and loved it. I'm pretty sore after yesterday's crash but I got in a little 2 mile run this morning. I had to stop and stretch a few times, I crawled back into bed and then got up really sore looks like the rest of the day will be on the couch. Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88