Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-10-10 10:01 AM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL

HELLO EVERYONE!  Got a chance to pop back in and check in on all of the latest...  :-)

I have been spending some time chillin' -- Carl & I went to NY for a day last week to see the Colbert Report (very funny!); been watching some movies; and of course, the Philadelphia Dragon Boat races were this past Saturday. 

And who would have guessed it...but OUR TEAM WON!  (Well, we won our division after 3 races.)  And we got these totally awesome gold metals to bring back to the office!  We did loose one crew member -- after the first race; he passed out on the dock -- emergency room; irregular heartbeat; 3 days in the hospital with tests; he may have some type of heart issue.  He doesn't work with me but the word is he is one of those 24/7 "A" type personalities (35 years old). Hopefully this will be the wake-up call to get off the stress-addicted rollercoaster and find some balance. He's a nice guy.  I hope it works out for him.

Wishing you all       B  A  L  A  N  C  E              and a beautiful day!

P.S.  RICH -- LOVE the photo!

2007-10-10 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami

rich love the avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cHRIS great to hear from you!! conGRATUALATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that sounds like fun! 1ST PLACE, lets see a pic of the medal! awesome awesome..glad renovations are over.

I have a sprint on the 21st, will put up my RR. then my 2nd Olympic Nov 11.

Hows everyone else doing???  Hope all is well with ALLLLL!!! SEND U TONNES OF LOVE....

2007-10-14 6:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Gang!

Well...one of the benefits of having a bad shoulder is that I've been able to focus on my running.......at best I'm slow!

Did the Long Beach Half-Marathon today and had my personal best effort! I'm doing well, now....but, I think I might be a little sore tomorrow! Woooo Hooo!

GREAT weather for running......low 60s when we began.....was high 60s when we finished.

OK.......we need to get serious about our winter training plans!

So some considerations:

1) What of the three disciplines do you want to improve the most?
2) How will you maintain the technique of the other two disciplines?
3) For those that experience poor weather, where will you work on your cycling? swimming?
4) How often would you like to train during the week?
5) How many hours would you like to train per week?
6) When is the best time for you to train?
7) What classes are available during winter months for you to learn or improve your technique in any of the disciplines?
8) What equipment needs repairing , improving, or replacing? (Form your Christmas List)

This is also a good time to start thinking about what races you want to do next year so that you can plan ahead to register and identify your A, B and C races.

So these are some basic questions for you....you don't need to respond, but will be helpful in formulating how you want to train for next year.

Enough for now.....

Rich
2007-10-15 7:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Subject: Where's Your Head At?

Yesterday was officially the last event of my season - the Covered Bridges tour - 33 very hilly miles.  Perfect day for a bike ride. Leaves falling, sun shinning, 42F.  The last 8 miles hurt like hell though because I haven't been out on my bike much the past month.  I almost didn't go because we were out so late the night before.  But fortunately it was a later start than many bike rides (9:00 am) and only 30 minutes away, so when I rolled out of bed at 7, it was still do-able to get there on time.  I'm so glad I did.

It's funny, I started thinking last night as I lay in bed -- about training for next season; getting back in the pool more; all of the anxiety about sucking in water and/or drowning; all of the things that other people have said about the swim; how stressful fitting in training can be -- and then I stopped myself and thought, "Tonight is not the time to think about these things.  Think about them tomorrow when the sun is shinning again." 

...And then this morning I read Rich's post and I can think about things with a completely different focus.  Thanks Rich!  Thanks you guys! 

I know I will have "dark thoughts" from time to time (I still miss Tom terribly).  I know I will get down about things.  But I have places to go to "shift my attitude" and that's a precious thing.  And I continue to grow more and more confident in the tools I am gaining (physically and mentally) to deal with whatever comes my way. 

Again, thanks to all of you for what you have added.  You're the best and I learn from you all the time!   X X X X X X X

2007-10-15 9:48 AM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Hey everyone! Hopefully I'll be back online a bit more often. I got a little unmotivated after my triathlon. I was amazed at how quickly that happened!!! It's so easy to just fall back into the habit of loving my sofa and not getting my butt in gear.

Rich, here are the answers to your questions. Thanks for getting us to think about this!

1) What of the three disciplines do you want to improve the most? I need to improve my running speed. I am able to run (what I condider) long distances (10K) but am quite slow. Running is first priority. Cycling will be a close second, though not as much of a concern. I hope to strengthen my muscles so that I can conquer hills more successfully.

2) How will you maintain the technique of the other two disciplines? I have signed up for a triathlon that takes place two weeks before my half Ironman in May. (Rich, I signed up for the Wildflower!!!) I realized just a week after completing my tri in Washington DC that I’m not too successful training on my own, and thrive in a group setting. SO, I have to start from scratch on the fundraising but at least I’ll be able to train in a group like I want!

3) For those that experience poor weather, where will you work on your cycling? swimming? The group trainings will be indoors at local bike shops, where they have 30 trainers for us. Team in Training will also be giving me my own trainer as a thank you for doing triathlon #2 for them. (The first thank you gift was a kick *ss wet suit.)

4) How often would you like to train during the week? I plan on training 4-5 times a week.

5) How many hours would you like to train per week? I’d say I’ll be training around 10 hours a week.

6) When is the best time for you to train? Evenings or very early morning before work, and Saturday mornings.

7) What classes are available during winter months for you to learn or improve your technique in any of the disciplines? I’ll be continuing learning from my TNT coaches (they are all the same for the Wildflower, which is awesome), and of course, from my online mentor Rich and the great friends I’ve made in this group!
8) What equipment needs repairing , improving, or replacing?
#1: Purchase clips and shoes to replace my cages.
#2: If Santa had deep pocket books, I’d say I want a tri bike!
#3: New running shoes at some point this winter
#4: Winter running clothes

Races next year:
Wildflower Olympic Distance (very challenging, but I’m approaching this as a B race)
Florida 70.3 Ironman (this is my A race)
Whatever else I can fit on my list

2007-10-17 8:50 AM
in reply to: #1007702

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hello everyone!  Sorry I've been out of touch again....I had some unexpected crisis/busy-ness come up.  All is well and the dust is settling, so I'm getting back into my groove.  I actually went running this morning!  It felt great, too....

So, Rich...in answer to your questions (you're so great at keeping us on track!)

1) What of the three disciplines do you want to improve the most? Cycling

2) How will you maintain the technique of the other two disciplines? Run with a neighbor friend and swim when I can!

3) For those that experience poor weather, where will you work on your cycling? swimming? Cycling, I have a trainer.  Swimming, my local pool is heated and open all year so I'll get that in once a week to maintain.

4) How often would you like to train during the week? 4-5 times

5) How many hours would you like to train per week? 7-8 hours

6) When is the best time for you to train? Mornings right after the kids go to school or late evenings after my hubby gets home from work.

7) What classes are available during winter months for you to learn or improve your technique in any of the disciplines? I'm training with a neighborhood team that has connections with the running coach at UT.  We get together with him from time to time for some pointers. I think that will be really useful for me.

8) What equipment needs repairing , improving, or replacing? (Form your Christmas List)
I need a new helmet this year.  I also need a new tri suit - I shrank out of mine this year (hooray!!)

Love to all of you! Stay warm and dry!

2007-10-17 10:19 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hi Y'all!  I hope everyone is doing well.  Marathon training is going well.  For me, it's easier to keep up with one discipline than training for 3!  Also, my pace is improving and I'm not sure how, why, etc.  I'm running a lot, but I've been adding hills/inclines instead of just flat trails.  Shouldn't my pace be slower since I'm not running on a flat surface?  It's still quite humid here (93% this morning)  I'm curious to see my pace during the fall/winter when humidity is lower.  I've been running consistently now for 1 year.  Will my pace continue to improve or will I plateau?  I need some perspective.

Also, I've found a group of ladies that like to train and they train hard!  We meet several times a week to run and weight train(5 AM).  We'll be adding swimming 1x a week in Nov.

Rich, great questions.  I've put some thought into how I want to proceed with winter training...balance, balance, balance!

1) What of the three disciplines do you want to improve the most? Cycling...I know it should be swimming, but I feel like I can make more headway with cycling.  I'm just a sinker in the pool! 

2) How will you maintain the technique of the other two disciplines?  I meet with a group of ladies to run 3x a week.  I'll swim enough so that I maintain a sense of comfort in the water.  I've come to terms with the fact that I'm not a strong swimmer, but I want to keep up my endurance in the water.

3) For those that experience poor weather, where will you work on your cycling? swimming?  The gym I belong to provides weekly spin classes and has a heated pool. 

4) How often would you like to train during the week? 5-6 days

5) How many hours would you like to train per week? 7-10 hours (this includes yoga & core training)

6) When is the best time for you to train? 4x a week early morning before work/school/soccer games!  2 days late afternoon before dinner/homework!

7) What classes are available during winter months for you to learn or improve your technique in any of the disciplines?  spin classes, swim lessons (I'll try again in Jan. with tri swim lessons) yoga, pilates, weight training to improve my core.

8) What equipment needs repairing , improving, or replacing? (Form your Christmas List) I need a heart monitor, new running winter clothes, tri top to race in.  I would also like a new insulated water bottle and a running belt that holds more ounces for my long runs.  (the one I use now only holds 20 oz.

I think I need to send this list to Santa soon! I didn't realize I need/want so much! 

Hey Kat, I'm looking into doing the OLY distance at Lone Star in Galveston.  Are you and your family stilling doing it?  It will be my first OLY.  What do you think?

Have a great day everyone!

Angela

2007-10-17 11:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Morning, GANG!

Your posts have a lot of GREAT information and thought. I don't know that there is a right or wrong answer to winter training.....I will look at your answers to the questions and provide some individual feedback, however, glancing over them I think you all pretty much nailed things right on the head. Good Job!

And Andi.......if all goes well with my shoulder, I will try to find you at the TNT Wildflower Encampment and stick around Sunday for the Oly to root you on! Gooooooo Andi!

Have a GREAT Day everyone!

Rich
2007-10-20 4:46 PM
in reply to: #1008085

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Feedback for Christine - Where's my head at?
To everyone: I thought the best way to provide feedback is open forum and this way others can chime in with thoughts and ideas.

To Christine:

Your "GREAT MENTOR" knows all and sees all! (Kidding!). As you think about your training for the winter months, I want you to first find things that are enjoyable to you. Of course in PA, the weather will be a limitor!!!

I also want you to think about a getting in the water during the winter months at an indoor pool if it is available to you. I don't want you to worry about distance as much as focusing on technique and becoming more comfortable in the water. The more comfortable you are in pool will translate somewhat to your open water swims. I guessing that you are not feeling comfortable with lots of people around you. When you are in the pool, pick lanes intentionally that have another swimmer in it....(i.e. split the lane.) It helps you get use to other swimmers next to you or passing you.

Here is a challenge.....every time you start getting "dark thoughts".....go out for a run or get on the treadmill......if you have a headset with music you enjoy, plug into it. It is called escapism (?), re-directioning your mind (?), changing your focus (?). What ever you want to call it! Change your focus.

As you make more detailed plans, let me know and I can give you more specific feedback.

Hope this helps Christine!

Rich

2007-10-21 1:14 AM
in reply to: #1008253

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Winter Training Feedback for Andi!
Hey Andi!

It is totally natural to become unmotivated after your "A" Triathlon Race.

With respect to your need to increase running speed, this is going to sound counter to what makes sense.....but, here it goes! I want you to get a heart rate monitor if you don't have one already. For the first month, keep your heart rate at below 135. These means that your perceived effort will be very low....like a 2 or 3 on a scale of 10. Then introduce stride workouts.....warm up for 30 minutes at perceived efforts and then lengthen your run stride for 30 seconds and then go back to warm up pace for 2 minutes....... repeat 4 times. In third month introduce speed work......monitor your heart rate and perceived efforts throughout your workouts.

I hope to be racing at Wildflower Long Course (the day before your event). Wooooo Hoooooo! Wildflower Long Course is a 70.3 distance. If I can guess correctly that my surgeon will suggest surgery about March, I will ask him to postpone until after Wildflower.

The rest of your training program looks GREAT. TNT's training program will lend the structure you need. Many of us do not well training by ourselves, so you were smart to acknowledge that and take a course of action! KUDOS!

As a rule of thumb, running shoes should be replaced every 300 miles max. They will breakdown and can contribute to issues like shin splints. So don't wait too long on replacing your shoes.

Andi.....I'm so proud of you! You have come so far! Keep it up and I want to definitely meet up with you at Lake San Antonio (Wildflower). As we get closer to the event, we can swap notes so I can find out your travel plans. I normally arrive on Wednesday before the event to set up camp and rest for a couple of days...... will talk more!

Let me know if you have any questions!

2007-10-28 7:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Where is everyone?
Hey gang? I think we all fell off the face of the earth. Hope everyone is well! Let's do a quick check-in!

Rich

2007-10-28 7:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Annual Training Hours for Specific Distances
Hey Gang!

Have been reading different triathlon training books/manuals. I've been reviewing Joe Friel's "The Triathlete's Training Bible" (Second Edition). There is a lot of great information. In addition to talking about being very specific as to the purpose of your workout, he also provides a guideline for "Suggested Annual Training Hours" (Pg. 88).

Race Distance/Age Annual Hours
Ironman 600 - 1200
Half-Ironman 500 - 700
Olympic 400 - 600
Sprint 300 - 500
Juniors 200 - 350

Take a look at your training logs.....Are you close in your training hours for the races you plan on completing/competing in next year?

Just a thought!

Rich
2007-10-28 8:25 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hey Rich,

I feel really good about the training I've been doing.  I ran my longest run ever this Saturday....18 miles and felt great!  Looking over my running mileage for the month, I'm almost at 120 miles just for October.  I still have 2 more runs planned for this week.  I'll have to check out the book to help me prepare for next year.   I think I might begin the season with an OLY distance!  YIKES! 

Hope everyone is doing well!  Happy off-season training...

Angela

2007-10-28 8:29 PM
in reply to: #1027626

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Angela! You are doing a super job preparing for your marathon! Sounds like you are right on track. What will be your longest run?

There are some schools of thought that you do not need to run the 26.2 miles before the actual event. I tend to agree with them. At this point, you can go the distance. The key, in my opinion, is to remain healthy at this point of your training.

Rich
2007-10-28 8:29 PM
in reply to: #1027626

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Angela! You are doing a super job preparing for your marathon! Sounds like you are right on track. What will be your longest run?

There are some schools of thought that you do not need to run the 26.2 miles before the actual event. I tend to agree with them. At this point, you can go the distance. The key, in my opinion, is to remain healthy at this point of your training.

Rich
2007-10-28 8:44 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

My longest run will be 20 miles 3 weeks out from the race.  I've heard/read that if you can do 20 miles, the rest is a mental run.  I felt so good after my run on Saturday.  The temperature was 45 degrees and blue skies.  (We began our run at 5:45 AM)  I think with the humidity gone, my running pace has improved.  I'm trying to stay injury free by warming up on runs and stretching really well.  I'm also continuing yoga and core training as much as I can.  I feel really good about this marathon training...I'm so pumped!  I've also found nutrition that works for me on my runs...before, during and after.  It's all very exciting to me!  (Plus, the pounds and inches keep melting away.)  

2007-10-29 8:24 AM
in reply to: #1027649

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hello, hello everyone!  Believe it or not, I'm still out here.  I haven't been posting - or working out - all that much lately.  Seems life has been one crisis or illness after another.  I'm just now getting over bronchitis, so I keep hoping that I'll be able to settle in to a routine again soon.  Just in time for the holidays!

Angela - I am DEFINITELY going to be in Galveston for the Oly at the Lone Star.  It was my first oly, and I had a total blast.  If any of the rest of you would like to join us at Moody Gardens, Galveston TX for a really cool triathlon festival, feel free to join in! They're planning three races (a sprint, oly and HIM) along with a dinner, live music, expo, food, massages, the works!

OK...back to the grind.  Gotta finish a couple of kiddo costumes before Wednesday.  My daughter wants to be a chihuahua - go figure....

2007-10-29 9:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA

Hey Rich!  Saw your message -- I'm doing fine, thanks.  Just busy with lots of other stuff and keeping the workouts low-key for a bit so I don't burn out.  Daylight is shorter and shorter, and today we woke to our first frost.  What I REALLY want to do this time of year is sleep.  (I may be part groundhog.)  So that I get any workouts in is a small miracle.

My goal for now is to run, bike and swim once a week.  If I get more in, great, if not, that's okay too.  In December I will ramp back up to "in training" mode again.  I don't think I could maintain the 4-6 workouts a week,sometimes 2 workouts a day -- year-round.  And my husband wouldn't enjoy it either.  There has to be some variety for me.

I am still loosing weight -- slowly but surely...  :-)

2007-10-29 9:41 AM
in reply to: #1017362

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Cyclingmaniac - 2007-10-21 2:14 AM

With respect to your need to increase running speed, this is going to sound counter to what makes sense.....but, here it goes! I want you to get a heart rate monitor if you don't have one already. For the first month, keep your heart rate at below 135. These means that your perceived effort will be very low....like a 2 or 3 on a scale of 10. Then introduce stride workouts.....warm up for 30 minutes at perceived efforts and then lengthen your run stride for 30 seconds and then go back to warm up pace for 2 minutes....... repeat 4 times. In third month introduce speed work......monitor your heart rate and perceived efforts throughout your workouts.

So Rich, I'm concerned about the stride part of this exercise. It was the longer strides that contributed to my shin splints (along with weak hip muscles).

I can try the heart rate option, though I have to say I'm going to find it very frustrating because I'd in a sense be walking. I really have to push myself to get past 170 (which is the high end of my average...forgot the technical term for that offhand.)

One of my TNT coaches recommended that I start with trying to get 100 strides in per minute. I counted, and I run around 96 average. She also mentioned speed work, but mentioned that I could do that right away. Hillwork, too...

Can you briefly touch on the pros and cons of each coachs' advice (yours and hers)? Or perhaps I should do both?

I did run yesterday (it's been intermittent at best lately) but cranked out 7 miles with ease at a 10 minute pace...that rocks for me! Of course, the brisk 50 degree weather surely helped!!!
2007-10-29 1:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami

hey guys, I still have to do a lot of planning for winter workout,.I'll come up with a plan after my nov 11th race...i havent been training consistently, b/c of work..but ive been working myself up to it..I will pump this week and the next and just taper 1 day before..

Did they sprint tri but made the mistake of training the day before adn running 10 miles at a semi fast pace 3 days before.... still did a decent time and beat my friend...we had a bet.... I did do something that was very hard this weekend, I did a 65.9 mile ride in the super heat of homestead miami with major winds and no shade...got very dehydrated since i didnt do nutrion adequately i hit a wall at 61 after 4 water bottles and 2 1/2 gu's..i was super lucky to have someone volunteer to go my pace during the ride...he was absolutely fabulous and I was able to draft when i was tired... i really need to get nutrition down when doing long rides... it was a very fun ride though, extremely beautiful scenery, very relaxing.

Glad to hear everyone is doing so well...its still sunny and warm here in the south so its still fun to g outside and train.  miss you all guys! send u love!

2007-10-29 1:14 PM
in reply to: #1027649

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Oooh Caru, that long ride sounds similar to what you and I are going to face come May for the Florida HIM...I have never done a ride farther than 25 miles, so I am totally taking notes from your experience!!!

2007-10-29 3:43 PM

User image

Regular
Hey guys!!!!

I am terribly sorry for abandoning you guys and my log. I hope everyone is doing well. I have been extremely busy with work and what not, however I have not abandonded my training.

I have been getting back into shape and I think I am finally getting there. I am back to speed and have been clicking 18:30's in my 5k's which is good and hopefully I'll be able to break 17 by the end of the year. This past weekend I was running in Orlando in Diseney's Tower of Terror 13k, it was an awesome event which I highly recommend everyone, what an awesome course. I did pretty well and placed 13th overal and 1st in my age group.

I have also begun my full training for TOKYO MARATHON 2008. The race is in February so I am looking forward to that. On the journey to that marathon I have about 3 to 4 half marathons that I will be running and a bunch of 5k's and 10k's.

I have been training with some really fast guys and have gotten some pretty good advice from them. I am not focusing solely on the weekly mileage, but rather on the quality of the workouts, a little bit less miles a week, but a lot more quality and effort. They have some pretty sick workouts but they all seem to make sense somehow.

Now, looking into next year, I would love to be able to do an Ironman in 2008, however, I don't think it's the smartest thing, so I am leaning towards doing about 2 or 3 Half-Ironmans. Well I hope everyone is doing great and having a great healthy running season.

Rich, how's the shoulder??

Take care,

FR

2007-10-30 12:03 AM
in reply to: #1028083

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Andi...if the strides contributed to the shin splints then forget what I said. If you have a weak hip muscle issues, see if your coach has some exercises. Your TNT coach has an advantage......direct observation.......so as much as I can give you some cyber recommendations, I would go with the TNT coach at this point...if that makes sense. She has the ability to directly observe.

Hope this helps.......Andi, you are doing such a GREAT JOB and now moving to TNT Mentor. KUDOS!!!!!!

Rich

2007-10-30 12:05 AM
in reply to: #1028083

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Andi...if the strides contributed to the shin splints then forget what I said. If you have a weak hip muscle issues, see if your coach has some exercises. Your TNT coach has an advantage......direct observation.......so as much as I can give you some cyber recommendations, I would go with the TNT coach at this point...if that makes sense. She has the ability to directly observe.

Hope this helps.......Andi, you are doing such a GREAT JOB and now moving to TNT Mentor. KUDOS!!!!!!

Rich

2007-10-30 12:13 AM
in reply to: #1027994

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Christine!

Good to hear from you! You are probably doing the right thing in working out 2 to 3 times a week right now.......you are absolutely right that training year around is difficult and can lend itself to burn out! I guess it is workout/life balance verses work/life balance.

We have been forced indoors out here in Southern Cal. I'm smack dab in the middle of all of the fires......fires are not close, but the smoke/air quality is horrendous. So, I'm in a similar situation on the training frequency.

That is GREAT news that you are still loosing weight! I wonder how much weight we have all lost collectively. Hmmmmm!

Have a GREAT ONE, Christine!

Rich
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46