BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2008-05-06 1:53 PM
in reply to: #1098772

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME
Right now, I keep hearing, start at a 2/1 and then as your body and training allow, build up to a 3/1   then 5/2

2008-05-06 2:05 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

Suzanne, I would be inclined to try to pick it up where I left off...if you can't do it, take it down a notch. 

As an aside, I would also round things off more, because it's easier to keep track of, but that's just me!  I use a walk run program with clients that once they can do 30 min of walking at a brisk pace, they move on to 5 walk/1 run X 5...then after 4x of that, or more if they aren't ready, they do 4/2 X 5....then 3/3 X 5...then 2/4 and finally 1/5 before running...they just repeat each step each time until they are ready to move to the next one.   This means cardio-wise and leg-wise...and they don't work on speed AT ALL until they have a solid running base... work on one thing at a time when starting to run.  Should be all zone 1-2 for the running....After 3-6 months of running 30 min, either work on building speed or more distance. 

That was probably way more information than you wanted!!!! 

2008-05-06 2:56 PM
in reply to: #1385216

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Mimir98 - 2008-05-06 12:05 PM

Suzanne, I would be inclined to try to pick it up where I left off...if you can't do it, take it down a notch. 

As an aside, I would also round things off more, because it's easier to keep track of, but that's just me!  I use a walk run program with clients that once they can do 30 min of walking at a brisk pace, they move on to 5 walk/1 run X 5...then after 4x of that, or more if they aren't ready, they do 4/2 X 5....then 3/3 X 5...then 2/4 and finally 1/5 before running...they just repeat each step each time until they are ready to move to the next one.   This means cardio-wise and leg-wise...and they don't work on speed AT ALL until they have a solid running base... work on one thing at a time when starting to run.  Should be all zone 1-2 for the running....After 3-6 months of running 30 min, either work on building speed or more distance. 

Actually, that is the program that I worked from originally.  I just found the jump from one level to the next to be a little rough so I was thrilled when I realized that I could program the Garmin for separate run/walk intervals. 

I'm still a little tired and slightly queasy, so I might bump tomorrow's run back a couple of notches, but based on the prevailing advice, I'll probably bring it back up to my previous level pretty quickly.

Thanks, all!

2008-05-06 5:21 PM
in reply to: #1385348

User image

Master
South Florida
jacsuza - 2008-05-06 3:56 PM
Mimir98 - 2008-05-06 12:05 PM

Actually, that is the program that I worked from originally.  I just found the jump from one level to the next to be a little rough so I was thrilled when I realized that I could program the Garmin for separate run/walk intervals. 

I'm still a little tired and slightly queasy, so I might bump tomorrow's run back a couple of notches, but based on the prevailing advice, I'll probably bring it back up to my previous level pretty quickly.

Thanks, all!

The Garmin is a lovely thing.    And if you wake up tired and queasy tomorrow, it may not be the best day to start back...or it could prolong it.   And, I would just say, cause I always have to have the last word , that if the jump is too tough, you need to hang for longer in the present level.  But, if what you are doing is working and you like it, then tell me to STHU! Surprised 

2008-05-07 1:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark

No luck at the embassy. Jette could not expect an answer in 1-2 weeks, and the worker at the embassy could not guarantee the outcome of the application.

So we aren’t coming to Florida this time. I won’t come to the race alone either, as this was planned as a family trip.

We tried to get a last minute trip to some island in the Mediterranean Sea, but right now it’s just as warm in Denmark. The sun is shining and the sky is blue here. 

I was really looking forward to the race in Disney, it would be my first ½ ironman. Right now I’m thinking about doing the “Disney race” here in Denmark, all by myself. And I’m still doing all the other planned races this year.

Maybe we are coming to Florida later this year or next year.

Mimi - when is Florida Ironman? Just kidding

Happy training to you all

2008-05-07 7:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Well, Hans, you sound like you've made peace with it, in any event. If the weather is nice in Denmark, you can stay home and relax. I often long for a vacation where I could just stay home...though I wonder if I would ever want to go back to work!  I'm still sorry your plans didn't work out, but the idea of racing the Disney race on your own is a good- why not? Then treat yourself to a super delicious night out to dinner with the family afterwards! Cool

2008-05-07 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Will some kind soul remind me how to change my avatar now that I can finally ditch that Peeps thing?  I can't really recall all the steps, and it's saying that my picture is too large- how do I change the size? It was taken with the same camera as my last avatar before the Peeps one!

Thanks in advance.

2008-05-07 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1386731

User image

Veteran
Tucson
aquinn - 2008-05-07 6:45 AM

Will some kind soul remind me how to change my avatar now that I can finally ditch that Peeps thing?  I can't really recall all the steps, and it's saying that my picture is too large- how do I change the size? It was taken with the same camera as my last avatar before the Peeps one!

Thanks in advance.

I struggle with this too -- for the last one, I had to crop it a bit to get it small enough.  Anyone got better advice?

2008-05-07 2:30 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
I have no clue...whenever I get pics on here, it's by mistake!  Maybe try uploading it to photobucket or the likes, then copy and paste?  That's maybe how I've done stuff before.  And how do people put picutres IN INSPIRES???????  Damn geniuses.
2008-05-07 2:45 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

In this day of high quality digital images, the 50KB limit is a challenge.

I usually take a copy into PAINT, and crop some of it.  It usually takes down some of the size from the original JPG file.  Just keep playing til I get it below 50KB.

go into your control panel and upload it.

Once I upload it, I remember to hit F5 to refresh my cache and it appears.

Hopefully someone out there has a better way!!!  

2008-05-07 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1387723

User image

Master
South Florida
peto_primo - 2008-05-07 3:45 PM

I usually take a copy into PAINT, and crop some of it.  It usually takes down some of the size from the original JPG file.  Just keep playing til I get it below 50KB.

What language is this you are using??? 

2008-05-07 6:36 PM
in reply to: #1387767

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Mimir98 - 2008-05-07 1:00 PM
peto_primo - 2008-05-07 3:45 PM

What language is this you are using??? 

Computer-ese, sounds like.  Definitely not a language that was around when we were kids.  Wink
2008-05-07 9:48 PM
in reply to: #1386731

User image

Veteran
Tucson
aquinn - 2008-05-07 6:45 AM

Thanks in advance.

Hey, you did it!!!!!!  And it's cute too!
2008-05-08 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson

Found in my inbox this morning: 

Firecracker Triathlon Entrants:

It is with deep regret that we inform you of the cancellation of the 2008 Firecracker Triathlon scheduled for July 6.

WAAAAH!

2008-05-08 12:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
2008-05-08 2:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
Canceled races suck!!! At least they gave you lots of notice (not much consolation, I know).

And I'm sorry to hear about the trouble coming to Florida, I honestly never know what to expect when crossing borders these days. Sometimes its nothing at all and some times its a full on search of the car. What a terrible experience.

Edited by k_hase 2008-05-08 2:08 PM

2008-05-09 9:24 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Hey it is Friday!!!   Whats going on this weekend.  (Can't imagine what Kelly's plan looks like)

I am resting today, Sprint DU tomorrow and then taking Sunday off again to focus on God and Mom (my kids mom, mine is 1000 miles away

Never raced a DU before, I am really not sure how to approach it.  From the different ideas I have heard, I am going with taking the initial 5k out about 45 seconds slower than your standalone 5k.  If things go right, that should be right below LT coming into transition.  Then I would like to do the same thing on the bike, keep it right below LT (even on those pesky hills - the one right at the start of the bike, the one about 7 miles in and the one at about 16 miles) - then hitting run # 2 I want to take it out strong and hopefully be able to sustain pace in zone 5a for the whole run and come in within 30 seconds of the opening run.  (that would make the total run within about 10 seconds of my 10k PR )

If I can pace the bike right, that should bring me in under 1:40.  

There, I put my plan down in writing (and actually made it public - at least to those folks hundreds to thousands of miles away, except for breckview )

Have a great weekend everyone. 

2008-05-09 10:55 AM

User image

Master
South Florida

Execute that plan properly and you'll have a great race!!  Good luck...and kick some butt

I have a 3 hour ride tomorrow...then may get a pedicure while Quinn goes to a bday party (boys are going up to ST. Cloud to practice for their state champ race, which is next saturday up there)...then I will focus on God on saturday evening or early sunday am   ...then I am swimming 1.5 and running after that.  Coach told me I could do the swim on monday since it's mother's day, but I told him it's MY DAY...I WILL swim, and not rush to get back to clean or cook or carpool   Having mom and dad and father in law and nephew over for a cookout that will all be done by my husband. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend and has a chance to honor/remember their mommies in their own special way.

2008-05-09 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson

I, too, shall swim on Mother's Day.  The Tri-Girls have a coached Sunday morning swim workout so I told my family that part of my Mother's day present is that I get to go!  (btw Zilla's gonna be there too! Smile).  After that, we'll probably go visit MIL, who pretty much stuck at home due to the state of her health.  Then a nice meal somewhere and REST.

Tomorrow is cleaning and swim.  Also a short easy run in the morning -- my poodle training partner has her "spa day" tomorrow and her "spa" is on the running route.  (Although she's stinky and needs it, it's still sad that she gets her fur done far more frequently than I get my hair done.)  Probably also work in a quick visit to my mom after the poodle is clean to see how she's doing and let her have a visit from the dog -- it used to be hers until she moved into assisted living a couple of years ago.

2008-05-10 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

No, I'm not dead or MIA.   Just a crazy week.  Thursday was no workout- there was sort of no way around it- my friend Lisa at the gym was turning 50 and we all surprised her by decorating alll the spinning bikes and having fruit, muffins and mimosas -- at 6:00 am-- so there was no work out to be had there. But you can't give up moments like that in life! And then I was at work until 9:30 pm waiting for a jury verdict to come back.

And then, yesterday-- didn't want to work out since I had the Prospect Mountain Uphill Road Race this morning-- need fresh legs for a moutain race! Ended up only staying at work till noon- we all bagged after the late night- and went home. My parents were here to watch my son's choral festival concert-- which was very lovely-- and after that, me, my kids, and my parents took off for their house (race was near their house) and slept there.

Picked up my sister after 7 and went to race. It was a beautiful sunny, cool morning for the race. I haven't done this race since 2004, at which time I ran it in 1:01:xx- it is 5.67 miles up the toll road highway of Prospect Mountain. 

This year-- I placed either third or second in my age group! My time was 55:5X- didn't quite see the exact time, and then when I looked at race results I was really only concerned with my age group place-- so I didn't look. The posted results said I was third, but then when they gave age group awards (a coffee mug that says Prospect 2008 Age Group Winner-- and I do love coffee!) they announced me as second! You can imagine my shock when the announced SOMEONE ELSE as third and I thought I was getting shut out of the coffee mug!  Smile Either third or second-- I am fine with it! My sister blistered up the mountain in 49 minutes and placed first in her age group. She has long legs and gritty determination!

Home now and pretty tired. FOR SURE did not drink enough water, so I'm a bit dehydrated/headachy. Will be an early night at Chez Quinn, for sure.  Mother's Day-- I want to see what I feel like-- that could include

a bike (it needs to include a bike, but that makes me happy), a hike, a beach outing, a workout with the trainer, assistance with household projects, a pedicure/manicure. If only the day were longer!! It sadly cannot include a swim, as I am no in the now man's land of a closed pool until June 2 and a lake that probably has 3 more weeks till it's warm enough to swim in. BUMMER. We will open our pool next week- the best I will be able to do is crank up the heater, swim on my swim harness BORING BORING BORING and then do lots of core and lats/shoulders to stay strong.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL  MOTHERS!!

Edited by aquinn 2008-05-10 4:31 PM
2008-05-10 7:10 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Way to go Amy, Ceramic-ware!  Even more functional than hardware!

At my Duathlon today, the top 3 age groupers were from the male 40-44, so it was a great thing I was racing Clydesdale.  I was 12 or 13 minutes behind Markdill38 from BT, but for the "big guys"  I joined you in the drinking ware.  The top 3 got a nice "beer" glass, could go well with smoothies and ice tea too!

2008-05-10 8:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Race results were just posted on coolrunning.com- I was third. They havc me listed as second, but they completely neglected to include in the age group listing the woman that was third over all- who beat both me and the woman just ahead of me. So not fair for her, she really smoked up the mountain!

My time was 55:48.

Way to go, Scott- going to see if you posted a race report- Your glass-ware sounds great!  There were lots of good raffle prizes at my race- dinner gift certificates, etc, but I like my ceramic-ware. Better than my last tri where I won and got ZERO= not even an awards ceremony or a paper certificate!!

my race was not listed on BT and I was too annoyed by the pain of having to list it and enter and enter it and so did the race report here as a post. Sorry.

2008-05-10 10:14 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Often times the top 3 get "overall" prizes and are taken out of age group.  So while you may have "finished" 3rd in your age group you get credit for 2nd.

Nice job!

As for door prizes, I got a "Go-Lite" Hydration Pack.  Official results aren't posted yet so I will finalize race report after they get put out there. 

2008-05-11 10:02 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Happy Mother's Day to all!!
2008-05-12 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran

Hello all - I have come to apologize for the disappearing act. You guys were there for me and I walked away without any explanation. I have no excuse - I lost all motivation to train and was kinda embarrassed and before I knew it - I was ignoring all contact to try & ease my shame. One day turned into one week turned into one month......

Anyway - I would like to say thanks for the inspirations and I am sorry to have let you all down. I let myself down also. I started this training thing over 2 years ago and have battled motivation the whole time. I go strong & gung ho for a couple of months then just fade away into complete lack of motivation for a couple months. It is so frustrating. My hat is off to all of you who are able to maintain a steady motivation. I hope to one day find it.

I did start a little something agian last week and now have a solid week behind me on which to build.

Edited by tntexpres 2008-05-12 10:48 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  

of 36