BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sesh's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 47

2009-04-02 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2057196

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Sesh's Group - FULL!

I almost forgot.  I finally pooled my birthday money together (B-day was in February, 38 years young) and bought myself a wetsuit.  Nothing fancy or brand named like a BlueSeventy or X2U or anything like that.  I bought a NeoSport Long John, 2008 clearance model, for a really good price (can't afford much right now).  It is a nice starter wetsuit that will help my swimming.  It arrived yesterday and now I am itching to find a lake to do an open water swim (not too many of those in Indiana).

Hopefully my shins and my ribs (I bruised them this morning wrestling an alternator out of my jeep, long story) will be fully recovered so that I can use the wetsuit at my first race on June 20.

Take care, have a great day.

2009-04-02 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2057450

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY
53epilot - 2009-04-02 12:27 PM

Hopefully my shins and my ribs (I bruised them this morning wrestling an alternator out of my jeep, long story) will be fully recovered so that I can use the wetsuit at my first race on June 20.

Take care, have a great day.

The first time I read that I thought you were wrestling an alligator out of your jeep and I couldn't imagine why you didn't tell us the rest of the story!  Sometimes I think my hair should be blonder than it is.

I found some video on YouTube from last year of the tri I am doing.  I was watching the swim and thinking that they were all wearing wetsuits, which makes sense because the lake is so cold in June.  So I probably ought to look into getting one myself.  I don't have much money now either, so I will have to try to find a bargain.

Take care of your legs and stop wrestling alligators!

2009-04-02 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2057693

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

serendipity - 2009-04-02 12:26 PM

The first time I read that I thought you were wrestling an alligator out of your jeep and I couldn't imagine why you didn't tell us the rest of the story!  Sometimes I think my hair should be blonder than it is.

I found some video on YouTube from last year of the tri I am doing.  I was watching the swim and thinking that they were all wearing wetsuits, which makes sense because the lake is so cold in June.  So I probably ought to look into getting one myself.  I don't have much money now either, so I will have to try to find a bargain.

Take care of your legs and stop wrestling alligators!

You can always rent a wetsuit.  I have 3 tris this spring that will be wetsuit legal and I plan on renting.  I use it as a way to try a bunch of different ones to see what one I want to buy in the future.  Do you have a local tri/bike shop that rents them?

2009-04-02 7:45 PM
in reply to: #1856289

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington

Hey all,

I've been a bit busy.  Spring break hasn't been much of a break.

2009-04-03 10:20 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Well, I'll be on my way to New Orleans now.  Y'all hold the fort down.
2009-04-03 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2060504

User image

Expert

sesh - 2009-04-03 10:20 AM Well, I'll be on my way to New Orleans now.  Y'all hold the fort down.

I know you probably won't see this but good luck!  We'll all be thinking about you.  :-)  Kick some butt!!!!!!!!!!!!

2009-04-05 10:21 PM
in reply to: #2053608

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
sdalessio - 2009-04-01 5:29 AM

BTW - I love the new pic.  I'm thinking about changing mine.  My husband took a pic of my daugther yesterday w/ her wearing one of his tri tshirts, nike running hat, gloves and running shoes.  It looked like Honey I Shrunk the Kids since everything was so big on her.  LOL

The picture sounds perfect. 
2009-04-06 10:44 AM

User image

Regular
Hey guys,
Hope everyone had a great weekend.  Sesh, I hope that you did well, let us know when you get a chance so that we can stop wondering.

My shin splints (or whatever they are) are progressing slowly.  I decided last week to take Friday through Sunday off.  I am also not running this week and will do the eliptical to keep up the cardio.  My bruised ribs are getting better, although they are extremely sore. I tried to do some pushup and situps with them, but that was a dumb idea.  Running (joggin in place) also aggrivated them a little so we will see how this week goes. 

Take care and I hope that you all have a great week of training.
2009-04-06 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2065394

User image

Master
53epilot - 2009-04-06 11:44 AM Hey guys,
Hope everyone had a great weekend.  Sesh, I hope that you did well, let us know when you get a chance so that we can stop wondering.

My shin splints (or whatever they are) are progressing slowly.  I decided last week to take Friday through Sunday off.  I am also not running this week and will do the eliptical to keep up the cardio.  My bruised ribs are getting better, although they are extremely sore. I tried to do some pushup and situps with them, but that was a dumb idea.  Running (joggin in place) also aggrivated them a little so we will see how this week goes. 

Take care and I hope that you all have a great week of training.

Rest and heal!

2009-04-06 6:49 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Hey all,

How's everyone doin? I'm back on track - AND we've had three absolutely perfect days in a row of 70+ degree temps! (the spring tease!) I thought I was gonna have heat stroke on my run today 75* - my body does not like it when it goes from 45ish to 75ish in one day Was out in the garden dead-heading, assessing the snow damage, and marveling at how many thing are quickly climbing out of the ground. Still tons of work to do out there, already blistered and sore and a tiny bit tanned. First tri less than a month now - getting nervous! I'm still dialing in the saddle and fit on the tri bike, ridden it about 140 miles, but it still doesnt feel comfortable to me in aero, i'm thinking it might be too aggressively set up for my current shotty flexibility. More yoga & stretching!
Keep it up all, and can't wait to read some race reports!

Kiri
2009-04-06 6:56 PM
in reply to: #2066709

User image

Expert
kirih - 2009-04-06 6:49 PM Hey all,

How's everyone doin? I'm back on track - AND we've had three absolutely perfect days in a row of 70+ degree temps! (the spring tease!) I thought I was gonna have heat stroke on my run today 75* - my body does not like it when it goes from 45ish to 75ish in one day Was out in the garden dead-heading, assessing the snow damage, and marveling at how many thing are quickly climbing out of the ground. Still tons of work to do out there, already blistered and sore and a tiny bit tanned. First tri less than a month now - getting nervous! I'm still dialing in the saddle and fit on the tri bike, ridden it about 140 miles, but it still doesnt feel comfortable to me in aero, i'm thinking it might be too aggressively set up for my current shotty flexibility. More yoga & stretching!

Kiri

I have been out in the garden the past 2 days as well trying to get things cleaned up from last year.  This is a recovery week so I actually have some time.  I hope to get a few seeds in the ground and some divisions in pots for selling or trading.  :-)

Bill's report is up - he had a great race.  And I have a race report up from a 10 miler on Sunday.  The run was not all that exciting but I had an adventure getting there.  LOL

My first tri is just 2 weeks away.  1500m open water swim in butt a*s cold water.  If I survive the swim, I'm hoping to use the bike and run to gauge my fitness.  I hope everyone has a good training week.

And CONGRATS BILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2009-04-07 7:45 AM

User image

Expert
OK group - I swear this is not whining but a real worry.  And I know we've talked about this but I need some reassurance, help or something.  But for the past 2 weeks I have really struggled to get any power/speed/etc. from my body during my workouts.  I've done an honest 90% of my plan (time and distance) plus added extra run miles in b/c of my 1/2 marathon training.  But I feel like my fitness is going backwards. 

For instance yesterday, I had an easy, easy spin for 30 min. on the bike.  I got on the trainer and wanted to do 16-18mph but everytime I got up to 14mph by legs were burning.  I was dying just trying to keep that speed going.  I know I had 2 hard workouts on the weekend (sat - 2 1/2 trainer ride 34miles and sun - 10 mile race) but I keep thinking I'm training for a HIM.  So my butt better be used to these workouts!

Has anyone else felt like the more you do, the less in shape/stronger you feel?
2009-04-07 8:04 AM
in reply to: #2067633

User image

Master
sdalessio - 2009-04-07 8:45 AM OK group - I swear this is not whining but a real worry.  And I know we've talked about this but I need some reassurance, help or something.  But for the past 2 weeks I have really struggled to get any power/speed/etc. from my body during my workouts.  I've done an honest 90% of my plan (time and distance) plus added extra run miles in b/c of my 1/2 marathon training.  But I feel like my fitness is going backwards. 

For instance yesterday, I had an easy, easy spin for 30 min. on the bike.  I got on the trainer and wanted to do 16-18mph but everytime I got up to 14mph by legs were burning.  I was dying just trying to keep that speed going.  I know I had 2 hard workouts on the weekend (sat - 2 1/2 trainer ride 34miles and sun - 10 mile race) but I keep thinking I'm training for a HIM.  So my butt better be used to these workouts!

With the racing you are doing, are you taking your recovery weeks?  Maybe with the extra run time you are just not giving your body enough rest.  The third build week before a recovery week is hard for me.  I feel like I struggle through every workout.  The first week after recovery usually feels good.

2009-04-07 8:44 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Thanks!  Done with 70.3 miles and right back to werk.  Get to talk about Loan Loss Reserve percentages.  Woo hoo!!  I'll catch up with everyone this afternoon, hopefully.  No rest for the weary
2009-04-07 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
This is my recovery week so I promised myself to follow it.  That said I am not doing Master's practice this week b/c those workouts are harder and longer than what my plan calls for and I'm supposed to do an all out 10K race Sunday (from the plan) but I ran the 10 miler last Sunday so I may just do a 5K race on Friday.

I think I'm just getting anxious.  When I was younger and showing horses I always pushed myself up levels never content to just cruise along.  I would get to the point where I would have nightmares and talk in my sleep about upcoming events that worried me.  I never had any real problems, I guess I would just get myself worked up for nothing.  But the other night, I had a nightmare about Mooseman.  LOL

Maybe I just need my head examined!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2009-04-07 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2067774

User image

Master
sesh - 2009-04-07 9:44 AM Thanks!  Done with 70.3 miles and right back to werk.  Get to talk about Loan Loss Reserve percentages.  Woo hoo!!  I'll catch up with everyone this afternoon, hopefully.  No rest for the weary

We can't wait to hear all about it, but loan loss reserve percentages sound too exciting to pass up.  (Okay, not!)

2009-04-07 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2067839

User image

Master
sdalessio - 2009-04-07 10:08 AM

Maybe I just need my head examined!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would see how you feel after this week before you panic about your training.  You ended up putting more effort into the 10K than you had planned.  I'm sure your HR was higher than it was supposed to be while you were trying to catch up after the late start.  You probably just need to rest.

I had tri dreams right after I registered for June.  They seemed to have settled down for now, but I totally expect to have a few bad dreams when it gets closer.
2009-04-07 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2068015

User image

Expert
serendipity - 2009-04-07 10:21 AM

I would see how you feel after this week before you panic about your training.  You ended up putting more effort into the 10K than you had planned.  I'm sure your HR was higher than it was supposed to be while you were trying to catch up after the late start.  You probably just need to rest.

I had tri dreams right after I registered for June.  They seemed to have settled down for now, but I totally expect to have a few bad dreams when it gets closer.

Thanks  :-)  You are probably right!  I will at least wait until next week to panic.  Hopefully I will feel better then.  And if all else fails, I'll start dreaming about loan loss whatever - that would really give me nightmares trying to understand that! Laughing
2009-04-08 8:06 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Ok... so about those loan loss reserves.. Or, here is my race report:  New Orleans 70.3

It was an amazing race.  The water was like glass, though not quite as clear.  Still, compared to what I normally swim in, it was like swimming in pool.  The winds got rough on the bike, but I felt really good for all 56 miles.  I totally burned out after eight miles of the run, but I did the fun shuffle/walk/jog to mile 12.5.  After that, you could hear the finish line and the spectators were starting to line the road.  Then they were two deep, then three deep, four deep, and by the last hundred yards it was just a sea of people.  It was like we were doing a mountain stage of the tour de France.  High fiving people on both sides, St. Louis Cathedral hanging over you.  Absolutely the coolest thing I've ever experienced in a race.  If you ever are looking for fun trip with a nice 70.3 mile challenge, get thyself to New Olreans!!

2009-04-08 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2067633

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

sdalessio - 2009-04-07 7:45 AM OK group - I swear this is not whining but a real worry.  And I know we've talked about this but I need some reassurance, help or something.  But for the past 2 weeks I have really struggled to get any power/speed/etc. from my body during my workouts.  I've done an honest 90% of my plan (time and distance) plus added extra run miles in b/c of my 1/2 marathon training.  But I feel like my fitness is going backwards. 

Sounds like training is doing what it's supposed to do  That 30 minute ez trainer spin is supposed to be just that.  Ignore the mph and just spin the legs out.  Recovery isn't always just taking the day off.  Sometimes it's shortening duration and intensity just to give the body a break while still working on the 'ol heart muscle.  Most of my hard training rides were a pain to get to 17.5 mph on average.  I was getting a bit worried as well, but after a nice taper and getting recovered, I managed a race pace that was faster than any single training ride over the last four months.  It'll come if you let it.  And always remind yourself, like I had to do for the longest time...  It's all about being at your best on race day.  Don't worry about the training paces, just put in the time and effort and it will come. 

2009-04-08 8:18 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

And it looks like I'm not the only one that has gardening to do   I think I can put it off until the weekend, though.

Also, my grandmother had to go the hospital two days ago.  Apparently it's pretty advanced colon cancer.  They've done some surgery so far to ease the pain, but as she's 90 years old, they don't really think any treatment will be able to get the cancer without taking her out first.  My Dad seems to be doing ok right now, but he's a CPA with the 15th only days away, and my sister is getting married in May.  So now he's dealing with probably losing the last of his parents on top of all that (his dad died a month after his wedding when he was 28). 

2009-04-08 8:27 AM
in reply to: #2066709

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

kirih - 2009-04-06 6:49 PM Hey all,

Kiri

Keep at it on that tri bike.  I remember thinking that there was no way this can be better when I first go aerobars.  It does come with repetition and practice.  

Can't wait for your first!

2009-04-08 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2070400

User image

Expert
sesh - 2009-04-08 8:11 AM

sdalessio - 2009-04-07 7:45 AM OK group - I swear this is not whining but a real worry.  And I know we've talked about this but I need some reassurance, help or something.  But for the past 2 weeks I have really struggled to get any power/speed/etc. from my body during my workouts.  I've done an honest 90% of my plan (time and distance) plus added extra run miles in b/c of my 1/2 marathon training.  But I feel like my fitness is going backwards. 

Sounds like training is doing what it's supposed to do  That 30 minute ez trainer spin is supposed to be just that.  Ignore the mph and just spin the legs out.  Recovery isn't always just taking the day off.  Sometimes it's shortening duration and intensity just to give the body a break while still working on the 'ol heart muscle.  Most of my hard training rides were a pain to get to 17.5 mph on average.  I was getting a bit worried as well, but after a nice taper and getting recovered, I managed a race pace that was faster than any single training ride over the last four months.  It'll come if you let it.  And always remind yourself, like I had to do for the longest time...  It's all about being at your best on race day.  Don't worry about the training paces, just put in the time and effort and it will come. 

Thanks - I will keep telling myself that race day is weeks away.  :-)  I remember you saying something about that during your training.

BTW - are we losing our group?  :-
I thought I read the mentor groups are up in April or am I wrong?
2009-04-08 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2070422

User image

Expert
sesh - 2009-04-08 8:18 AM

And it looks like I'm not the only one that has gardening to do   I think I can put it off until the weekend, though.

Also, my grandmother had to go the hospital two days ago.  Apparently it's pretty advanced colon cancer.  They've done some surgery so far to ease the pain, but as she's 90 years old, they don't really think any treatment will be able to get the cancer without taking her out first.  My Dad seems to be doing ok right now, but he's a CPA with the 15th only days away, and my sister is getting married in May.  So now he's dealing with probably losing the last of his parents on top of all that (his dad died a month after his wedding when he was 28). 

Sorry to hear about your grandmother - I hope they can at least make her comfortable.  And hang in there for your Dad - I'm sure he'll need some help along the way. 
2009-04-08 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2070669

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
sdalessio - 2009-04-08 9:27 AM
sesh - 2009-04-08 8:11 AM

Thanks - I will keep telling myself that race day is weeks away.  :-)  I remember you saying something about that during your training.

BTW - are we losing our group?  :-
I thought I read the mentor groups are up in April or am I wrong?

I think they just start some new ones.  Some people don't have races so early in the season, so they don't sign up for a group at the turn of the year.  I plan on sticking around until we all cross a finish a line or two

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sesh's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 47