Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2010-02-24 9:55 PM
in reply to: #2555870

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Experior's Group - CLOSED
Well well well, I finaly got a second core in one week, actualy I performed Core 1 and 2 today plus added a few sets of weights using light weight (just reminding my body how it feels cause its been a while). Now need to sleep so I can recover to perform long run tomorrow.

2010-02-25 8:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Boy it's quite. Had a 6 mile run tonight (108 laps indoor track, gawd can't wait for daylight savings time). Jumped in the pool for a mile swim...............that didn't go so well. Note to self: Mile swim following a 6 mile run may not be a good idea at this point of my conditioning. Focused on drills instead of distance.

Phil
2010-02-26 6:13 AM
in reply to: #2694350

User image

Expert
StlPhil - 2010-02-25 9:56 PM Boy it's quite. Had a 6 mile run tonight (108 laps indoor track, gawd can't wait for daylight savings time). Jumped in the pool for a mile swim...............that didn't go so well. Note to self: Mile swim following a 6 mile run may not be a good idea at this point of my conditioning. Focused on drills instead of distance.

Phil

Nice! How do your legs feel after that many laps on a small track?
2 miles is my limit before I start to feel the stress on which ever leg is taking the stress of the turns.
2010-02-26 6:15 AM

User image

Expert
No work out for me last night
I sat down on the couch at 7:45 to listen to my daughter read to me. The next thing I knew, my husband was waking me up, telling me it was midnight.
I almost never fall asleep before 11 PM- so I was shocked.
2010-02-26 7:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Prety ugly today in Toronto area, very cold, windy and some snow. Missed my long run this morning as I didn't hear my alarm at 4:30am and to my surprise neither did my wife. Ah well, I did get a swim workout in last night. Only swam for about 25 minutes just doing drills. I need to set up new program which will also include bike.

Sylvain
2010-02-26 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2694728

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Hi All,

Looks like it has been quite a week for everyone.  I finally kicked my cold on Wed and got in a good workout yesterday.  Might run a 5K race here on Saturday am, but it is going to be cold and windy and it is partial trail run (snow run?), so I'm not exactly thrilled with the prospect.  Plus, I haven't been feeling particularly strong this week, so a sub-25 PB is probably out of the question.  Hope everyone is surviving otherwise.  Spring is just around the corner... just a particularly long corner... like maybe a hairpin turn.

Anyway, I'll postpone updating the goals for Feb until Monday, so we can wrap up the whole month.   Think on the weekend about March goals.  I'm guessing we'll finally turn the corner on this nasty winter in March and we can really start to get excited about the upcoming season.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Hey, one thing on that inside track running to watch for.  I found it to be hard on my knee as the turns are kind of tight on the indoor track where I run (1/12 mi).  I definitely found that running in one direction was putting pressure on my knee... so I stopped and decided the dreadmill was better for the ole knee.

Have a good weekend everyone!  Hope you're surviving, Michael.
-Stu

2010-02-26 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2694672

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis

slow turtle - 2010-02-26 6:13 AM
StlPhil - 2010-02-25 9:56 PM Boy it's quite. Had a 6 mile run tonight (108 laps indoor track, gawd can't wait for daylight savings time). Jumped in the pool for a mile swim...............that didn't go so well. Note to self: Mile swim following a 6 mile run may not be a good idea at this point of my conditioning. Focused on drills instead of distance.

Phil

Nice! How do your legs feel after that many laps on a small track?
2 miles is my limit before I start to feel the stress on which ever leg is taking the stress of the turns.

No question. I always develope tightness and soreness in my upper-inner thigh (not quite the groin) in the leg on the high side of the track around the 4 mile mark. Not ideal, but I HATE treadmills. The weather will be breaking soon so it will not be a problem until next year. Unless I move to South Carolina.

Phil

2010-02-26 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
I'm back from Costa Rica...due to stacked schedule and very hilly terrain I was unable to do any running and haven't worked out since Sunday morning.  A steady diet of fatty, carb-loaded foods and beers has seemingly erased all of the work I'd put in over the previous four weeks.  It's amazing how fast it slips!

The trip ruined my chances of meeting my Feb goals, but at least I got to smell some flowers and feel some sunshine on my skin.  Totally worth it!

Going to try to get back on track today with a run.

2010-02-26 12:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
happy friday to everyone. i have almost completed my feb goals-another bike ride and a run tomorrow-hopefully no rain in the morning and i will be there. happy training-and what is going on in march for a challenge????
2010-02-26 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2694964

User image

Expert
Stone Cutter - 2010-02-26 10:10 AM I'm back from Costa Rica...due to stacked schedule and very hilly terrain I was unable to do any running and haven't worked out since Sunday morning.  A steady diet of fatty, carb-loaded foods and beers has seemingly erased all of the work I'd put in over the previous four weeks.  It's amazing how fast it slips!

The trip ruined my chances of meeting my Feb goals, but at least I got to smell some flowers and feel some sunshine on my skin.  Totally worth it!

Going to try to get back on track today with a run.

Welcome back! Warm sun and the smell of flowers sound fantastic!
I'm sure you'll hit your groove quickly.
2010-02-26 9:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Big weekend planned. My longest run EVER scheduled 10 miles. Should be sunny and 40. Not sunny and 60 like last Saturday, but sunny none the less. Hope everyone has a great weekend. Tomorrow is weigh in day. I have a feeling what has been a bad month weight wise is going to finish pretty strong. : )

Phil

2010-02-26 10:20 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Hello everyone!  Remember me?

Sorry I've been incommunicado for the past few days.  Work has been absolutely devastating the past several days.  I just got back from a talk I gave at a big meeting (which was just one cause of my recent work agony), and I'm feeling good, and ready to get back on track!  I'm planning to get up early tomorrow morning and do the long run that I skipped last Wednesday (my usual long run day.)  Wish me luck -- it's already after 11pm, so we'll see how things go...

I've read through the past few pages that I missed, and it looks like lots of us are struggling through February.  You all know what Garrison Keillor says about February, right?  "February is the month that God invented to show people who don't drink what a hangover is like."  Just remember that as we all struggle to train through this month -- it's like trying to train through a hangover!

Have a great weekend everyone.

2010-02-26 10:22 PM
in reply to: #2688024

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2010-02-23 10:55 AM

Workout today. The only thing consistent about my workout times is they are inconsistent. I try to workout a schedule and something always comes up to change it. I am surrendering to the fact that I just need to get the work in during the slices of time that are available. That being said, I had to get up at 4:30 this morning to get 6 mile run in. Hope to squeeze in mile swim after work

Phil

I hear ya!  Lately I've just been carrying around running shoes and swim gear everywhere I go in some almost-vain hope that I'll find a few minutes to do something.  But sometimes it works out and I DO find a spot of time to do something, so I guess it is worth hauling the gear around.
2010-02-26 10:30 PM
in reply to: #2689857

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
sstucker - 2010-02-23 11:07 PM
Experior - 2010-02-23 7:47 PM Just a quick check-in to say:  two more days before I return to the land of the living.  Then life will be good again!

I'll give everything a careful look-over then.  Until then:  Keep training!  Do an extra lap for me---I'll live vicariously through you....

Well Michael I did 1650 meter straight today to complete my 0 to 1 mile program. I finished with a bang, I reduce my 25m lap by two strokes now at 16. Well most of the workout was at 16 strokes, on occasion I hit 17 when not paying attention or trying to remember what lap number I was at. Now that I have some swim endurance I can start adding some speed drills to those 16 strokes. My new goal is to break 2 min/100m avg over 1000m by end of March. Bring it on! Good night Sylvain

Nice!  Oh, and 16 strokes per 25m is in fact pretty low.  That's probably a very good sign!  How tall are you?  (Taller people tend to be able to do fewer strokes.)  But don't assume that lower is always better.  Some swimmers -- I mean really good swimmers! -- have quite a high turnover rate.  (Janet Evans is famous for this.)  It just depends on what works for you.

There was a recent thread on the USMS web site about this that I found interesting.  It is here.
2010-02-27 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Hey guys!
I finished the week strong with  a 50 minute run today. That's the second week in a row that I've hit 5 days of training. I also increased my volume by 20 minutes from last week.
Stu- I'll PM you my goals for March. My weight has not budged all month, so I'm taking an honest look at my food intake. Chips are a definate weekness for me
I've added an iron supplement to my diet, because 2 RN's told me I'm showing all the signs of significant anemia. I wasn't surprised, once I looked at my diet from the perspective of iron intake.
Every one have a great week.
~Heidi
2010-02-27 7:28 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I hope we're all having a great weekend.  I'm not entirely out of the woods work-wise, but I'm back on track training with a strong run today.  I hope you are all doing well too.

Just curious:  when is everybody's next race?  My first of the season is March 27, and honestly I'm already fantasizing about it.  Is that weird?

2010-02-27 7:44 PM
in reply to: #2696565

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Experior - 2010-02-26 11:30 PM

sstucker - 2010-02-23 11:07 PM
Experior - 2010-02-23 7:47 PM Just a quick check-in to say:  two more days before I return to the land of the living.  Then life will be good again!

I'll give everything a careful look-over then.  Until then:  Keep training!  Do an extra lap for me---I'll live vicariously through you....

Well Michael I did 1650 meter straight today to complete my 0 to 1 mile program. I finished with a bang, I reduce my 25m lap by two strokes now at 16. Well most of the workout was at 16 strokes, on occasion I hit 17 when not paying attention or trying to remember what lap number I was at. Now that I have some swim endurance I can start adding some speed drills to those 16 strokes. My new goal is to break 2 min/100m avg over 1000m by end of March. Bring it on! Good night Sylvain

Nice!  Oh, and 16 strokes per 25m is in fact pretty low.  That's probably a very good sign!  How tall are you?  (Taller people tend to be able to do fewer strokes.)  But don't assume that lower is always better.  Some swimmers -- I mean really good swimmers! -- have quite a high turnover rate.  (Janet Evans is famous for this.)  It just depends on what works for you.

There was a recent thread on the USMS web site about this that I found interesting.  It is here.

Interesting post on USMS. I'm only 5'10". I think the main reason why I reached 16 strokes was because I was working hard on using my lats and fully extending my arm to get maximum push, but was also using slow RPMs so I glided far between each stroke. Maybe I should also mention I was using a one beat kick. Overall my avg 100m (2:09) was about the same as my other workouts. In my mind, what I need to do now is increase my RPMs but keeping the same full stroke. This in turn should make me faster. During the program I used the catch-up method the entire time, hence reason I glided far between strokes. I found a drill, on BT, that I'll incorporate in my routine (Lesson #6 – Implementing Catch-up For More Fluidity) which I think will help me acheive this. My main goal for March is break 2min/100m for 1k swim.

Edited by sstucker 2010-02-27 7:52 PM
2010-02-27 9:00 PM
in reply to: #2696554

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Experior - 2010-02-26 10:20 PM Hello everyone!  Remember me?

Sorry I've been incommunicado for the past few days.  Work has been absolutely devastating the past several days.  I just got back from a talk I gave at a big meeting (which was just one cause of my recent work agony), and I'm feeling good, and ready to get back on track!  I'm planning to get up early tomorrow morning and do the long run that I skipped last Wednesday (my usual long run day.)  Wish me luck -- it's already after 11pm, so we'll see how things go...

Well hello everyone.  Between a rediculously busy week at work, a ton of family commitments, and generally just not feeling great, my training has suffered.  Hoping to get back in the groove on Monday.  It doesn't look like I'm going to make any of my February goals.  But I did get some inspiration in my inbox the other day...Here's the text of the email...

We have received your registration into the 2010 Quakerman Half Ironman
Triathlon on Saturday, September 11.  Please review all the race
information on the website and let us know if you have any questions.

Train hard and we'll see you in September!

There's no turning back now....

Scout
2010-02-27 9:35 PM
in reply to: #2697508

User image

Expert

Well hello everyone.  Between a rediculously busy week at work, a ton of family commitments, and generally just not feeling great, my training has suffered.  Hoping to get back in the groove on Monday.  It doesn't look like I'm going to make any of my February goals.  But I did get some inspiration in my inbox the other day...Here's the text of the email...

We have received your registration into the 2010 Quakerman Half Ironman
Triathlon on Saturday, September 11.  Please review all the race
information on the website and let us know if you have any questions.

Train hard and we'll see you in September!

There's no turning back now....

Scout

Hey- that is inspiring!
2010-02-28 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
Sent goal outcomes in this am.  Core workouts suffered again this week.  Have been fousing so much on just getting the workouts in I don't have time to add this in as well.  Not sure what to do with it right now.  What's more important right now keeping up with Core Workouts or building my base; that tis the question? 
2010-02-28 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2697416

User image

Veteran
DC
Experior - 2010-02-27 7:28 PM I hope we're all having a great weekend.  I'm not entirely out of the woods work-wise, but I'm back on track training with a strong run today.  I hope you are all doing well too.

Just curious:  when is everybody's next race?  My first of the season is March 27, and honestly I'm already fantasizing about it.  Is that weird?

Not weird at all...I fantasize about crossing the finish line of my HIM regularly.

As for races, first up is a sprint in mid-April...can't wait.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

2010-02-28 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2697416

User image

Expert
Experior - 2010-02-27 8:28 PM I hope we're all having a great weekend.  I'm not entirely out of the woods work-wise, but I'm back on track training with a strong run today.  I hope you are all doing well too.

Here in upstate NY, I don't have a tri on the books until late June.
2010-02-28 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
so i got a sunday morning brick in this morning-5 mile run and a hard 20 miler on the bike. it was chilly but there was no traffic in the early am.
i have actually figured out a way to make it to the pool in march-i work crazy hours(IT Manager at an arena),but in march mondays will be one of my days off. the pool is open from 12-1 monday thru friday. so i will finally get a chance to get back into the water i hope at least 8 times in march. this makes me happy.
2010-02-28 5:52 PM
in reply to: #2698275

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Got in a 8.2 mile run yesterday and a 24 mile bike ride today.  I felt like a human kite out there biking and I must have looked something like one of those circus bears on the bikes cuz I was all bundled up (it was COLD biking).  Got home in time to see the end of the Olympic hockey match... have to say, the best team won... congrats to Canada (that was for you Sylvain)... but the best goaltender made it a classic :-)  Also have to say that Vancouver is the most beautiful city I've visited in North America.  If you haven't had a chance to visit... I hope you do sometime... make sure to bike around Stanley Park!

Next race for me is an 8K in a few weeks.  I'm going to decide next week if I'm going to give the HIM in May a shot or not... can't believe that is two months away.  I don't think I'm on track for it.  Really wish it was early June instead.  I'm leaning more toward the Sept HIM, but a little concerned about a bunch of travel in June-July that will mess up my training schedule.  First Tri will likely be the end of April... indoor pool.  Michael, I trust yours is also a pool one... it isn't *that* warm in South Carolina - especially this year!  As a side note, I really like the tri-state series that VA, NC, and SC organize.  Great series of races here in Virginia and they have some statewide competitions based on it as well which add some interest (at least to those of us who can't break the top 1000 nationally!)

Send those end of month results my way tonight and I'll post tomorrow.  It's been a challenging month for almost everyone I think.  Doesn't mean that we didn't accomplish anything.  Goals are there for us to strive for... to stretch us... if we make it... fantastic... if we don't, we regroup, decide if it was a good goal and set something new to push us.  I always say that if you achieve all your goals, your not setting challenging enough ones.

March goals by Wed and I'll post Thursday. 

Cheers,
Stu

2010-02-28 7:15 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Sounds like several of us have gotten some good workouts in this weekend.  That's great!

Wil, congrats on finding a way to start swimming.  That must feel great.

Sylvain, sounds like you are making good progress on the swim.  Catch-up remains one of my most important drills too.  I always feel like I learn something when doing it.

Scout, I'm with you -- work this week has been awful for me too.  I sort of blew it off today to get the training in, which means that the rest of tonight and tomorrow is going to be tough again...  Here's hoping you can get back on track soon!  I guess the HIM registration should help!

Bryan, yep, you and me both.  Why do we find it so hard to get the core workouts done?  I guess I just haven't made it a 'habit' yet.

Stu, thanks again for doing the goal thing.  It really does help.  And I'll have to agree about Vancouver -- I've visited there a few times and I love that city.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46