BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2011-03-17 5:10 AM
in reply to: #3400650

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Subject: RE: Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED
sbsmann - 2011-03-16 2:49 PM

That whole Powertap is definitely intriguing and something I want to invest in soon.  I know it would help my bike training.

I was wondering if we can talk a little about diet and food intake (not while exercising).  The last month or so since ramping up my volume and workouts, I've been starting to lose weight.  I've lost about 5 pounds the last month and can't seem to stop losing it.  I'm getting awfully close to my high school weight which is too definitely too thin.  I feel my weight is just about right now or maybe a tad on the thin side and definitely don't want to go down any lower.  My concern is that as my training volume continues to increase I will whittle away to a giant toothpick.

I suspect this might not be a common most of you fight.  However, I am wondering if anyone else struggles with keeping on weight during training?  I am also interested in diet and how often/much people eat.  I eat 2 decent sized meals a day along with a small breakfast, but it seems like I need more.  Just curious to hear any thoughts.

This isn't much of a problem for me so I can't be much help here. I'm a 'methodical' eater. I eat pretty much the exact same thing every day of the year and my weight stays between 150 (in season) and 156 (winter) year round. I'm a 'food is fuel' guy. I don't care about taste at all. As long as it's easy to make and good for me I'll eat it regardless of taste. I know, strange.

I too have had a nutritionist look at my diet. She basically said that I need to add some vitD and other than that it was good.

Jamie

2011-03-17 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3271048

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi everyone! Thanks for the good information about power.. As far as the weight issues.. I AM SO JEALOUS!! I wish my weight would keep dropping! LOL! My mom always said that I was born hungry! I would definitely propose the idea of adding some liquid calories- like the protein drinks that someone mentioned. 

Yesterday after work I was so excited to take my tri bike out on the road for the first time of the year! Holly toledo was I happy!! I've been on my roadie (on the trainer) all winter, in fact, I just turned over 1000 miles! I've been training with a PT since November. I had no idea how that correlate to the road- but lets just say that I was easily almost 2mph faster (my power was 10-15w higher too on the road as opposed to the trainer for the same effort) this year than I was last year for the same route. AND did I mention that I fought 15mph winds too?? So, I am very stoked! I'm going to wait til my community college teaching job (it's my second job) is done the first of May, then bump up my biking to 4x/wk- 2 on the road, 2 on the trainer.

Here's my question.. yesterday should have been a z2 aerobic ride with some force work thrown in (for me, hills). Well, my power on the tri bike was higher than it's been on the trainer. So, I was wondering, how do you make yourself go slower on a simple training ride? 

I guess maybe my answer is is that I will have 2 different test results especially since I use 2 bikes- one for my tri bike out on the road and one for the bike I use on the trainer. Advice is certainly welcome!!

2011-03-17 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
QOTD:  Who, besides me, thinks that maybe Jamie could be some type of triathlon robot?
2011-03-17 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3401788

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
sbsmann - 2011-03-17 10:31 AM

QOTD:  Who, besides me, thinks that maybe Jamie could be some type of triathlon robot?

2011-03-17 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

You are only eating three times/day?  I try to eat 5x/day. I generally keep bfast, lunch and dinner around the same amount of cals and adjust the snacks to meat nutritional/weight goals. I've also found that most triathletes I've spoken to about nutrition don't take in nearly enough protein in my opinion. We need the carbs for fuel, but keep in mind we're also damaging muscle that out body will need protein to repair.  I haven't even begun to do my IM training plan yet, so I don't know about how that will be, but I would recommend a larger breakfast and adding a couple other meals (snacks, really) if you want to up your calories. Protein shakes are easy, but they get to tasting nasty after a while. I'm like Jamie though, I eat for fuel, so I can down them even after years of doing so. 

I fully expect to be facing the same struggle as you when I start my IM training. Right now I'm mostly running and swimming/biking whenever I can and eating a slightly reduced calorie (very slightly) and I can't stop dropping weight.  I have a lot of fat to lose though, so it's good.

AOTD: Jamie is a triathlon robot. 

Edited by syscrash 2011-03-17 10:52 AM
2011-03-17 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3401537

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Here's my question.. yesterday should have been a z2 aerobic ride with some force work thrown in (for me, hills). Well, my power on the tri bike was higher than it's been on the trainer. So, I was wondering, how do you make yourself go slower on a simple training ride? 

I guess maybe my answer is is that I will have 2 different test results especially since I use 2 bikes- one for my tri bike out on the road and one for the bike I use on the trainer. Advice is certainly welcome!!

No comprende. A watt is a watt is a watt. It should be a no brainer that when it calls for z2 (I assume you mean some %of FTP) you just watch the PT and do the work called for? Maybe I'm missing something? Maybe a function of my training program being 100% trainer year round and I train race on the same bike?

If you are saying you have a 'road FTP' and a 'trainer FTP' I've heard that before but usually the difference is negligible. If you aren't in the EXACT position between the 2 bike then your force can definitely be different. Maybe that is what you are experiencing...

When you say 'my power was 10-15w higher too on the road as opposed to the trainer for the same effort' what do you mean by that? The watts are the direct measure of the effort.

Jamie

2011-03-17 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3401974

User image

Extreme Veteran

No comprende. A watt is a watt is a watt. It should be a no brainer that when it calls for z2 (I assume you mean some %of FTP) you just watch the PT and do the work called for? Maybe I'm missing something? Maybe a function of my training program being 100% trainer year round and I train race on the same bike? If you are saying you have a 'road FTP' and a 'trainer FTP' I've heard that before but usually the difference is negligible. If you aren't in the EXACT position between the 2 bike then your force can definitely be different. Maybe that is what you are experiencing... When you say 'my power was 10-15w higher too on the road as opposed to the trainer for the same effort' what do you mean by that? The watts are the direct measure of the effort. Jamie

I know that a watt is a watt. However, yes with two different bikes  and two different PT's (that I zero out the torque each time).. I suppose you are correct in that simply due to positioning, bike differences, then the watts would be different. I suppose I'll be able to test my hypothesis next week when I test FTP on the tri bike on the road.

What I meant by my statement with the 10-15 watts higher on the road is that I was EASILY holding 134 watts with my HR in z2- however, to hold 134 watts on my bike that's on the trainer- my HR is in z3 and it "feels" harder, meaning my RPE is higher. Just interesting stuff I suppose.. Maybe the days of going out and riding and not worrying about all of this stuff was a good thing??

2011-03-17 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA

sbsmann - 2011-03-17 10:31 AM QOTD:  Who, besides me, thinks that maybe Jamie could be some type of triathlon robot?

Im surprised it took until the "food is fuel" comment.  I had that feeling back when he said he only rode on a trainer and spent the entire time just looking at his watts.  I can spend about 13 seconds on the trainer without the tv on, and even with the tv on its a struggle.

2011-03-17 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

I strive to be half the tribot Jamie is.

In fact, I'll get some practice tomorrow...it's my day off and the only time I can get in a long ride, but it looks like rain in the forecast, so I'll be forced to do it on the trainer. Should be a killer - 4 or 4.5 hours. I'm frantically downloading podcasts to fill the time.

2011-03-17 2:54 PM
in reply to: #3402146

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
nuttysami123 - 2011-03-17 1:27 PM

No comprende. A watt is a watt is a watt. It should be a no brainer that when it calls for z2 (I assume you mean some %of FTP) you just watch the PT and do the work called for? Maybe I'm missing something? Maybe a function of my training program being 100% trainer year round and I train race on the same bike? If you are saying you have a 'road FTP' and a 'trainer FTP' I've heard that before but usually the difference is negligible. If you aren't in the EXACT position between the 2 bike then your force can definitely be different. Maybe that is what you are experiencing... When you say 'my power was 10-15w higher too on the road as opposed to the trainer for the same effort' what do you mean by that? The watts are the direct measure of the effort. Jamie

I know that a watt is a watt. However, yes with two different bikes  and two different PT's (that I zero out the torque each time).. I suppose you are correct in that simply due to positioning, bike differences, then the watts would be different. I suppose I'll be able to test my hypothesis next week when I test FTP on the tri bike on the road.

What I meant by my statement with the 10-15 watts higher on the road is that I was EASILY holding 134 watts with my HR in z2- however, to hold 134 watts on my bike that's on the trainer- my HR is in z3 and it "feels" harder, meaning my RPE is higher. Just interesting stuff I suppose.. Maybe the days of going out and riding and not worrying about all of this stuff was a good thing??

Oh. 2 different PT's as well. That is a lot of variables. I would seriously ditch the HR monitor. With power, HRM is basically just a nifty toy of little to no consequence. HR is dependent on WAY too many things to compare two different training sessions even under nearly identical conditions. Ditch it and go with power.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Jamie
2011-03-17 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3402434

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
dhopman - 2011-03-17 3:37 PM

I strive to be half the tribot Jamie is.

In fact, I'll get some practice tomorrow...it's my day off and the only time I can get in a long ride, but it looks like rain in the forecast, so I'll be forced to do it on the trainer. Should be a killer - 4 or 4.5 hours. I'm frantically downloading podcasts to fill the time.

Hah! It will be the best session for you yet! Just put a sign in front of you that says 'Carpe Diem' and stare at it the entire time.

Good luck!

Jamie

2011-03-17 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3402346

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
vibratingp00 - 2011-03-17 1:49 PM

sbsmann - 2011-03-17 10:31 AM QOTD:  Who, besides me, thinks that maybe Jamie could be some type of triathlon robot?

Im surprised it took until the "food is fuel" comment.  I had that feeling back when he said he only rode on a trainer and spent the entire time just looking at his watts.  I can spend about 13 seconds on the trainer without the tv on, and even with the tv on its a struggle.

Yeah...sometimes I'm a bit slow in picking up the obvious!

2011-03-18 12:15 AM

User image

Yeah, definitely a seems like a tribot.  On race day you see some tri coach pointing at Jamie and yelling to his student, "You see...he's not a machine...he's a human!!!"

Anyone know what movie that comes from?  When I was a kid I'd watch it at least 50 times every summer.  Practically have it memorized.

2011-03-18 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3403049

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
clewis38 - 2011-03-18 12:15 AM

Yeah, definitely a seems like a tribot.  On race day you see some tri coach pointing at Jamie and yelling to his student, "You see...he's not a machine...he's a human!!!"

Anyone know what movie that comes from?  When I was a kid I'd watch it at least 50 times every summer.  Practically have it memorized.

Is that from the Rocky with the Russian boxer??

2011-03-18 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA

sbsmann - 2011-03-18 8:57 AM
clewis38 - 2011-03-18 12:15 AM Yeah, definitely a seems like a tribot. On race day you see some tri coach pointing at Jamie and yelling to his student, "You see...he's not a machine...he's a human!!!" Anyone know what movie that comes from? When I was a kid I'd watch it at least 50 times every summer. Practically have it memorized.
Is that from the Rocky with the Russian boxer??

You mean Rocky IV??? One of the greatest movies ever??? If I had to do a 5hr trainer ride, I think I could survive it by watching Rocky movies.

Most enjoyable trainer ride of the year so far, in celebration of St Pattys day and the NCAA tournament, I went with a 1:1 ratio of water to beer. Finished up my quick ride right before the Bucknell/UConn game (me and my fiance both went to Bucknell), which turned out to be a pretty ugly beating. 

2011-03-18 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3403265

User image

Yes, Rocky IV, and yes, one of the greatest movies ever.

2011-03-19 3:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Got in my first 30 mile running week in a long time. Felt pretty good and the warmer weather around here sure helped! Too bad it's not supposed to be staying for good!

Jamie
2011-03-19 2:01 PM

User image

New user

I'm back....looks like I missed some fun conversations...tribot...

Got a long run in today.  Was a bit of a struggle likely do to travel.  Even got a few runs in last week in between walking the trade show floors.  I also got my bike back from its biannual maintenance...new chain and cassette as well.

QOTD: Does anyone have a bike carrier that attaches to a hitch?  If so, what brand?  I am looking for a good one and so far I have seen a Saris platform that looks really good.

2011-03-19 4:49 PM
in reply to: #3404760

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
JBougher - 2011-03-19 2:01 PM

I'm back....looks like I missed some fun conversations...tribot...

Got a long run in today.  Was a bit of a struggle likely do to travel.  Even got a few runs in last week in between walking the trade show floors.  I also got my bike back from its biannual maintenance...new chain and cassette as well.

QOTD: Does anyone have a bike carrier that attaches to a hitch?  If so, what brand?  I am looking for a good one and so far I have seen a Saris platform that looks really good. 

I have the Thule 2 bike hitch mounted platform rack.  This is the current model, but mine looks almost identical (http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/BikeCarriers/Hitch/916XTR%20T2.aspx).  It's an expensive unit but I feel it was well worth the price to protect my baby.  I ended up buying it through Amazon to save some $$ (definitely cheaper online).  Anyway, it takes me about 2 minutes to load two bikes and it holds them very securely in place on the road (i.e. no more bungee cords or worrying about disaster while driving).  I did a good amount of research and did end up narrowing it down to both the Saris & the Thule.  I think either one is a good buy and I don't remember why I chose the Thule.

Oh....one other thing that I really liked about the Thule is that it has a bolt that goes through the hitch and into the main arm which really snugs it up tightly so there is no rattle or movement from within the hitch.  You can ride around with the rack on the back and not even know it's on your car.  Well made.  Only drawback is that the entire assembly is a bit heavy, but that's what I would expect from a quality unit.

2011-03-20 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Pretty slow weekend here. Got in a 1hr 40' trainer @HIM watts ride yesterday and a 6 mile trail run in this morning.

Hope everybody is having a good weekend.
Jamie
2011-03-20 1:26 PM

Winnipeg

Hey all just back from vacation for a couple weeks in Cancun. What a switch form training in Wpg to running daily down south. Didn't do much but run , but did run 100 km each week I was down there. My body says enough running for a couple days so I'll give it a listen and get back in the pool and on the trainer tomorrow.

Back to the real world today and time to get back with the program. Was great to catch up on the blog.

2011-03-20 1:46 PM

User image

New user
got a little swim in today.  Felt pretty good while getting dusted by the guy in the lane next to me...
2011-03-20 2:34 PM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

Good weekend here -

Friday 1.2 mile swim -

Saturday - 51.5 mile bike - Garmin said 14mph but we stopped alot and the hills were killer

Sunday 13.1 mile race - legs were drained and sore this morning - got going and things went well for the race but legs got real heavy and stiff about mile 7.  Ended up with a 1:35 (7:17pace) wanted to be under 7:15 but I will take it!

Day off tomorrow - well needed then off to Long Island NY for a quick project.

Also - it was my wifes second race ever! She did the 15K and finished in 1:38 - so proud of her!  She hinted she wants to do the half pig! (Flying Pig Half Marathon) - I am doing the full!

2011-03-20 2:40 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Got in a solid 90 minute ride today despite being a bit run down from a late binge of an evening.

Anyway, as the weather warms and outdoor biking finally becomes a reality, I realize I might want to invest in a good pair of nice, new tires this year.  My handlebar tape is pretty worn as well and I'd like something a little thicker and more comfortable.  I am just curious what types of tires people like for both training and racing and whether you swap out tires for training vs racing (for those of us with only one set of wheels/rims)?

2011-03-20 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3405598

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
wallico - 2011-03-20 3:34 PM

Good weekend here -

Friday 1.2 mile swim -

Saturday - 51.5 mile bike - Garmin said 14mph but we stopped alot and the hills were killer

Sunday 13.1 mile race - legs were drained and sore this morning - got going and things went well for the race but legs got real heavy and stiff about mile 7.  Ended up with a 1:35 (7:17pace) wanted to be under 7:15 but I will take it!

Day off tomorrow - well needed then off to Long Island NY for a quick project.

Also - it was my wifes second race ever! She did the 15K and finished in 1:38 - so proud of her!  She hinted she wants to do the half pig! (Flying Pig Half Marathon) - I am doing the full!

Nice job Wally. Pretty solid run.

jamie
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40