BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-06-03 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3530386

User image

Expert
San Jose
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED
WittyCityGirl - 2011-06-03 5:33 AM

Uh oh, fuzzy smiley faces aren't so cute, huh?

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that the U.S. food pyramid is getting replaced by the portion plate (hmm.... I remember someone mentioning this a few days ago....).

Take a look! http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

That someone must be such a smartie!

2011-06-03 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3530378

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
WittyCityGirl - 2011-06-03 7:32 AM

Ahh, cleaning counting as a peach challenge... 

I'm sure some hardcore athletes would scoff at the thought, BUT I see the other side of the coin almost every stinking day... people that are inactive and don't realize that standing to do dishes IS working core muscles to keep your balance or that taking a load of laundry up stairs is strengthening your muscles.  True, it's not 30+ minutes of vigorous activity and it's activity nonetheless. 

After Ironman Lake Placid I saw a sizeable increase in the number of BT friends that were sick or injured and bummed/blue that they couldn't exercise at the length and intensity that they used to.  If we allow ourselves to believe that parking a little farther away from the grocery store or taking the stairs instead of the elevator is physical activity too, I think we set ourselves up for a healthier relationship with our body when it's not performing as we hoped it would.  PLUS, I think when we do have things like vacations or business trips we're more likely to find a way to sneak in a 10 minute walk because it "counts" rather than shrug off the whole day as an all out wash.

Hope that helps and that some of you who would have a blank white day will see that you can use some short walks or time "training your pet" as a way to turn it to a peach day-we're setting ourselves up for a long-term healthy lifestyle by seeing the little opportunities we have everyday to be "active".

Laughing

There's no way I'm telling my wife that doing the laundry or dishes is good for my core -- I'll end up with extra work outs that I definitely do not want to do!!!!  But, I do agree that there is value in a lot of the things that we take for granted / doing anything that gets you out from in front of the TV is good.

Have a great weekend.

2011-06-03 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida

I'm back from being MIA. Got back this morning around 2am.  We had a great trip to Orlando with my parents and sister for my daughters high school graduation.

I purposely ignored BT while we were gone. I wanted to make sure that I really wanted to Tri this year. And the verdict is...

I'm all in.  I really missed not having the opportunity to train this week, other than we walked about 20000 steps everyday, so my logs will be Peachy as soon as I log the estimates.

Anyway, I'm doing the sprint tri in 2 weeks as more training and re-acquainting myself with triathlon, and then another sprint in July and the Oly in September.

Off to log my walking...Surely, if washing dishes counts then walking around an amusement park counts. :P

2011-06-03 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3530973

User image

Master
Dunedin

croixfan - 2011-06-03 12:10 PM

There's no way I'm telling my wife that doing the laundry or dishes is good for my core -- I'll end up with extra work outs that I definitely do not want to do!!!!  But, I do agree that there is value in a lot of the things that we take for granted / doing anything that gets you out from in front of the TV is good.

Have a great weekend.

LOL! I think there was an "Everybody Loves Raymond" episode about that...I think Ray was "bad" at folding laundry, but he faked it because he didn't like the chore!

2011-06-03 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3531217

User image

Master
Dunedin
jayhawkrichie - 2011-06-03 1:44 PM

I'm back from being MIA. Got back this morning around 2am.  We had a great trip to Orlando with my parents and sister for my daughters high school graduation.

I purposely ignored BT while we were gone. I wanted to make sure that I really wanted to Tri this year. And the verdict is...

I'm all in.  I really missed not having the opportunity to train this week, other than we walked about 20000 steps everyday, so my logs will be Peachy as soon as I log the estimates.

Anyway, I'm doing the sprint tri in 2 weeks as more training and re-acquainting myself with triathlon, and then another sprint in July and the Oly in September.

Off to log my walking...Surely, if washing dishes counts then walking around an amusement park counts. :P

GO TIM, GO! Nice work, welcome back to Tri Geek Land. =)

2011-06-03 4:25 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
jayhawkrichie - 2011-06-03 12:44 PM

Excellent news!

2011-06-03 7:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
jayhawkrichie - 2011-06-03 12:44 PM

Welcome back -- just make sure you don't "fake it" on the walk......

2011-06-03 10:01 PM

Just got back from OWS at Hawk Island. It was much harder than I thought, but I swam the whole thing. So glad I went now I know what it is going to be like on Sun. The water was a balmy 76 in the shallow and 72 in the deep, a lot warmer than I thought it was going to be. I think the best part was hearing my kids yelling go mama go!

Sara-I'm all for making June peachy.

Can't hardly wait for Sunday!Laughing

2011-06-04 12:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Just got home from work--we had an extra event tonight--special needs kids and their families are invited into the zoo for a night to enjoy the zoo without other people staring, laughing, etc....apparently a whole mess of zoos do this across the country---with no publicity--So cool!

Anyway, I often dress into the role of the zoo's mascot--Gus- The Green Tree Frog--it is a professional mascot suit, complete with heavy, oversize head! This event is always a favorite--I meet all the guests, pose for pictures, and eventually, 'Gus' ends up dancing with a whole mess of kids by the end of the event--its one heck of a workout! I always enjoy (and usually am brought to tears by) the effect that 'Gus' has on kids--they can be totally withdrawn and unresponsive, but then this giant, fuzzy frog just turns on a light and next thing you know, they smile or even just reach out to him---I tell ya, it is a beautiful moment.

On another note, I wont be doing tomorrow's tri after all--we have another storm coming in tonight, and its just not really worth it (apparently, no one told the Cali weather that it is JUNE!!!!). So my coach and I discussed it, and there is another race from this series in July--so I will do that one (along with my coach)--which means MORE time for training--especially overcoming my OWS anxiety issues--I'm still fighting 'em...

Alright, enough tonight...its bedtime.

2011-06-04 2:59 AM
in reply to: #3530378

Extreme Veteran
WittyCityGirl - 2011-06-03 7:32 AM

Ahh, cleaning counting as a peach challenge... 

I'm sure some hardcore athletes would scoff at the thought, BUT I see the other side of the coin almost every stinking day... people that are inactive and don't realize that standing to do dishes IS working core muscles to keep your balance or that taking a load of laundry up stairs is strengthening your muscles.  True, it's not 30+ minutes of vigorous activity and it's activity nonetheless. 

After Ironman Lake Placid I saw a sizeable increase in the number of BT friends that were sick or injured and bummed/blue that they couldn't exercise at the length and intensity that they used to.  If we allow ourselves to believe that parking a little farther away from the grocery store or taking the stairs instead of the elevator is physical activity too, I think we set ourselves up for a healthier relationship with our body when it's not performing as we hoped it would.  PLUS, I think when we do have things like vacations or business trips we're more likely to find a way to sneak in a 10 minute walk because it "counts" rather than shrug off the whole day as an all out wash.

Hope that helps and that some of you who would have a blank white day will see that you can use some short walks or time "training your pet" as a way to turn it to a peach day-we're setting ourselves up for a long-term healthy lifestyle by seeing the little opportunities we have everyday to be "active".

Laughing

Sara - well said. There are people out there who would love to be able to "stand and do the dishes" or "carry a load of washing up stairs" as part of their daily activities. If and when I get a job I'll probably be able to count half of it under something relating to peach days, lol

2011-06-04 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Happy Saturday to all!!!  Feeling 1000 x better today -- don't think I realized how much the race last week took out of me.  Had a great swim lesson today where we learned about open turns and pushing off the wall.  This will probably save me 6-8 SPL and makes it a ton easier!!!!  Think the even better news was how comfortable I felt in the water.  While I'm far from a fish, it's nice to actually relax and enjoy it.

2011-06-04 5:41 PM

Extreme Veteran

Jay - of course walking around amusement parks counts as exercise

Twhitthum - great work on your OWS. Good luck for sunday

Kate - love your "extra work" and the response Gus gets from the kids but it's sad you have to have a special night for the special needs kids so they don't get laughed at, etc. After all people are there to see the animals not the other visitors.

2011-06-04 5:46 PM
in reply to: #3532157

Extreme Veteran

Curt - WTG on the swimming improvement

Me - Went to my cousin's engagement party last night (not even going to try logging food though, lol) and found that I really don't know how to walk in heels, lol. Today I'll probably do some more push ups - I signed up to a challenge on FB where you have to do the number of push ups each day as the number day it is of the year (e.g. today would be 156 as it is the 5th of june) - and I may get some "home improvement" done by cleaning my room but I'm not too sure.

2011-06-05 2:48 AM

Extreme Veteran
Day 5 in with 19 push ups - a mix of knee, bench (using my bed) and wall variations. I'm pretty more I'm doing the knee one wrong though.
2011-06-05 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3532033

User image

Master
Dunedin
kgore - 2011-06-04 1:05 AM

Just got home from work--we had an extra event tonight--special needs kids and their families are invited into the zoo for a night to enjoy the zoo without other people staring, laughing, etc....apparently a whole mess of zoos do this across the country---with no publicity--So cool!

Anyway, I often dress into the role of the zoo's mascot--Gus- The Green Tree Frog--it is a professional mascot suit, complete with heavy, oversize head! This event is always a favorite--I meet all the guests, pose for pictures, and eventually, 'Gus' ends up dancing with a whole mess of kids by the end of the event--its one heck of a workout! I always enjoy (and usually am brought to tears by) the effect that 'Gus' has on kids--they can be totally withdrawn and unresponsive, but then this giant, fuzzy frog just turns on a light and next thing you know, they smile or even just reach out to him---I tell ya, it is a beautiful moment.

On another note, I wont be doing tomorrow's tri after all--we have another storm coming in tonight, and its just not really worth it (apparently, no one told the Cali weather that it is JUNE!!!!). So my coach and I discussed it, and there is another race from this series in July--so I will do that one (along with my coach)--which means MORE time for training--especially overcoming my OWS anxiety issues--I'm still fighting 'em...

Alright, enough tonight...its bedtime.

Awwww, so cool!!!  Bummer about the race, but you'll be EXTRA ready for the next one!

2011-06-05 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3532157

User image

Master
Dunedin

croixfan - 2011-06-04 9:31 AM Happy Saturday to all!!!  Feeling 1000 x better today -- don't think I realized how much the race last week took out of me.  Had a great swim lesson today where we learned about open turns and pushing off the wall.  This will probably save me 6-8 SPL and makes it a ton easier!!!!  Think the even better news was how comfortable I felt in the water.  While I'm far from a fish, it's nice to actually relax and enjoy it.

AWESOME!!!! Laughing Good to hear. Keep up the great work!

2011-06-05 8:43 PM
in reply to: #3532630

User image

Master
Dunedin
suzielea - 2011-06-04 6:46 PM

Curt - WTG on the swimming improvement

Me - Went to my cousin's engagement party last night (not even going to try logging food though, lol) and found that I really don't know how to walk in heels, lol. Today I'll probably do some more push ups - I signed up to a challenge on FB where you have to do the number of push ups each day as the number day it is of the year (e.g. today would be 156 as it is the 5th of june) - and I may get some "home improvement" done by cleaning my room but I'm not too sure.

That's quite the push up challenge! Nice job with all those push ups!

2011-06-05 8:48 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Back from the weekend wedding trip to PA -- lots of fun, but a fitness disaster. Ate lots, worked out close to zero, and had a humiliating open water swim this AM which is making me question my ability to complete a race in a couple weeks.

the OWS -- was at my sister in laws in NJ today. There is a big lake near them, and is about as perfect a spot to do some OWS as there is anywhere. My brother in law & i went down and we started. Planned on a mile swim which I didn't have any issue with. However abotu 100 yards in, I had the old open water freak out, and bailed on the swim. Rather than just chill, pull it together, and go on, I wussed out. Pathetic. The worst part is, I felt *great* in the water. strong, easy stokes, moved well. then kaboom. WTH??!?!?!

Anyway, back on the bike tomorrow, run tomorrow, swim tuesday, etc.

2011-06-05 8:49 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Hope our racers had a great time this weekend!  

On Friday, the doctor said I can take 2 tylenol x 3/day plus one Meloxicam/day and it has been working fantastic!  I did a VERY hilly 100 mile ride yesterday.  I just have some slight discomfort, but no pain like I had during some of my previous rides.  Goes to show how important it is to go see the doctor when something feels wrong. =)  Unfortunately, post ride I went to a hockey game (our Binghamton Senators are playing for the Calder Cup) and after one beer I was almost asleep!

Hope everyone is enjoying the peach challenge.  I put in 5 hours of cleaning and since it was more involved than just doing dishes I feel slightly less guilty for counting it towards a peach day. 

Have a good week!

2011-06-05 9:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
100 mile hilly ride!  You're my hero!!!!!  Seriously, I am so impressed with foks that can do these kinds of distances.  Seems so very far away to me.
2011-06-05 10:43 PM
in reply to: #3534025

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

croixfan - 2011-06-05 7:56 PM 100 mile hilly ride!  You're my hero!!!!!  Seriously, I am so impressed with foks that can do these kinds of distances.  Seems so very far away to me.

I so agree---after 12 miles I'm ready to call it on my rides!

Tonight was a swim workout at my gym--900 meters, it actually felt pretty decent--I still had to briefly stop at every lap, but it was literally about 5 seconds each time, so I'm not too bothered by that. I'm thinking that at my next swim session (in the pool, not OW) I will try to do 50 meters without stopping, and get used to that, adding laps as I can in future workouts--I'm pretty sure that will translate well to my open water experience as well. After the workout it was dinner, then a fun game of catch in the backyard---with our dog running back and forth between us hoping for a dropped ball---TOO CUTE! Bonus: the dog is now worn out for the night! Laughing

Tomorrow I think I will try and run...Its weird-my class ended so now I have to get used to planning and doing my own workouts again! Its okay, there is another session in 2 weeks or so...now to improve before that session even starts!

2011-06-06 3:10 AM
in reply to: #3533914

Extreme Veteran

Sara - I'm not doing the push up challenge properly just using it as some inspiration to drop and give some, lol. On ST can you give me any pointers on beginner ab workouts? And great work on the 100 mile hilly ride. I'm with Curt and Kate - I can't even imagine riding that far.

Mike - I'm sure it was just a one time thing with the swim

Kate - are you talking stopping to turn around before you keep going or actually grabbing the wall and stopping altogether? If option a then I'd personally class that as continyous swimming - I do in my workouts anyway. Anyway with the distances you can do in ows where there are no walls/turn arounds I'm sure you'll be fine.

Me - got in my first 1/2 hour run/walk session and ended up with 1.5 miles - a major improvement on my first walking workout, lol. I'm also thinking of upping my intervals for my next run as the ones I used tonight (used a sort of ladder approach) all went pretty well  

2011-06-06 7:46 AM

Goodmorning! I had an absolute fabulous time yesterday. It was a perfect day for a race. I was one of the first ones there- I didn't want to be stuck in a line trying to get into the park.  The weather was perfect, not sure of the temp of the water but it had to be close to air temp.

The only problem I had was the ows. It wasn't with the swim but with my head. I had a slight headache from stress and anticpation, and when I hit the water I got the worse headache and almost gave up. I pushed myself and halfway through the headache started to go away.

Here are my stats swim 12:00 min. bike 46:31 run 35 min.  First transition 4 min second 2 min. Total time was 1 hr 41 mins.

Things I would/will change for my next race GET A NEW BIKE! All I heard was left on your left the whole 10 miles. I did get to say that a couple of times, but not enough. But I had a great time. I had trouble with my music and I love running with music but next time I don't think I would use my MP3, because my headphones got tangled and and I mess with it to get my music and not the radio.

I can't wait for the next race-I think I'm going to do the trek woman series in Aug. I'm sure that would be more competitive. I'm hoping to get a new bike before that.

I'm am now a triathlete!

Tracie

Thanks everyone for all the advice and encourgement!

Edited by Twhittum 2011-06-06 7:56 AM
2011-06-06 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3534326

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Twhittum - 2011-06-06 7:46 AM

Goodmorning! I had an absolute fabulous time yesterday. It was a perfect day for a race. I was one of the first ones there- I didn't want to be stuck in a line trying to get into the park.  The weather was perfect, not sure of the temp of the water but it had to be close to air temp.

The only problem I had was the ows. It wasn't with the swim but with my head. I had a slight headache from stress and anticpation, and when I hit the water I got the worse headache and almost gave up. I pushed myself and halfway through the headache started to go away.

Here are my stats swim 12:00 min. bike 46:31 run 35 min.  First transition 4 min second 2 min. Total time was 1 hr 41 mins.

Things I would/will change for my next race GET A NEW BIKE! All I heard was left on your left the whole 10 miles. I did get to say that a couple of times, but not enough. But I had a great time. I had trouble with my music and I love running with music but next time I don't think I would use my MP3, because my headphones got tangled and and I mess with it to get my music and not the radio.

I can't wait for the next race-I think I'm going to do the trek woman series in Aug. I'm sure that would be more competitive. I'm hoping to get a new bike before that.

I'm am now a triathlete!

Tracie

CONGRATS, Triathlete!! Awesome job!!   Have you signed up for your next race yet?

BTW -- you were able to use an MP3 player during the race? This is usually a no-no (USAT rules)

2011-06-06 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3534326

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Twhittum - 2011-06-06 7:46 AM

I'm am now a triathlete!

Tracie

Congrats Tracie.  Sure you're on a mental high from the accomplishment -- take the time to enjoy it!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72