BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-06-23 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3563251

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
cbrookhart - 2011-06-23 8:24 AM

Good morning. 

I should be doing a short bike/run today.  My son is sick, and I don't feel great, so I don't think I'm going to do anything.  Maybe I will make a list of what to pack for the weekend. 

Have a great day!

Christy

Just remember: pain is temporary - results (with an AG podium) posted on the internet are forever!

2011-06-23 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

Well, bronchitis sidetracked me from my first real training week...of course! Guess my older body doesn't like the push I am giving it! Never give up, though!

Christy, I got first place in my age group my first tri...only 4 of us! I took it! Great new pic of you, by the way. Good luck with your race!

Joe and Randy, we're lucky to have you guys as mentors. You have a wealth of knowledge (most of which is beyond me) and are good encouragers (is that a word?). Thanks!

Karla, I love venting! Makes us human!

2011-06-23 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3563284

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 

Just remember: pain is temporary - results (with an AG podium) posted on the internet are forever!

I will keep this in my head for the entire race!

2011-06-23 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3563281

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 2011-06-23 7:53 AM
cbrookhart - 2011-06-22 8:20 AM

Good morning. 

I am certain everyone is anxiously awaiting my bike gear decision Smile. I talked to the guys at my LBS and decided to keep it how it is.  They were very helpful.  I felt bad asking so many questions, but the seemed to like to talk about bikes.  I did leave it there for a tune up.  Not sure it needed one, but it will make me feel better going into this weekend.

I know I shouldn't do anything new before a race.  I've been eating a luna protien bar before my long workouts.  It has worked fine with my stomach and I've had enough energy.  But I've never done a 6 hour workout.  Do you think I should try to eat more? 

Christy

I can't really help except to say eat as much as you need to.  for racing HIM, about 1.5 to 2 cal/lb/hr is a good jumping off point to find the right amount.  make sure you're able to eat WHILE riding, not just before. 

As a side note - protein isn't great to fueling workouts.  You need carbs for that (before/during).  Protein comes after you're done.  Protein is generally harder to digest (robbing energy from your muscles/potential for GI issues due to strenuous activity) and the calories from it aren't as effective/efficient in providing energy to your muscles.

probably a good chocie with the bike gearing (and riding your own bike).  Go out for a loop or two around Loch Raven - there are some serious climbs there to let you know if you made the right decision!

Thanks for the protein info.  I knew it was good to eat protein after and carbs during, but I didn't know protien was bad before. 

Christy

2011-06-23 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3563428

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

As a side note - protein isn't great to fueling workouts.  You need carbs for that (before/during).  Protein comes after you're done.  Protein is generally harder to digest (robbing energy from your muscles/potential for GI issues due to strenuous activity) and the calories from it aren't as effective/efficient in providing energy to your muscles.

I didn't know that either! I almost always have a protein bar before a workout. I've never put a second thought in to having a carb instead.

Now that i learned something new.. I can go back to bed

2011-06-23 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3563331

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
djb45 - 2011-06-23 8:15 AM

Well, bronchitis sidetracked me from my first real training week...of course! Guess my older body doesn't like the push I am giving it! Never give up, though!

Christy, I got first place in my age group my first tri...only 4 of us! I took it! Great new pic of you, by the way. Good luck with your race!

Joe and Randy, we're lucky to have you guys as mentors. You have a wealth of knowledge (most of which is beyond me) and are good encouragers (is that a word?). Thanks!

Karla, I love venting! Makes us human!

Sorry to hear you've been sick.  Hope you're feeling better.  Nice work with your 1st place!  I'm with you, I'll take it.

Christy

2011-06-23 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore

I wouldn't say it's necessarily a BAD thing to have protein, but just keep the caveats I mentioned in mind.  If the bars aren't affecting your stomach and impacting your workout, you may not have a problem continuing.  My only advice might be that if you're "carb deficient" you may not be having the best workout you could be.  Theoretically, if you are well fueled, you'll go a little harder/longer, and reap the benifits of doing so.   I do know some sports drinks (accelerade is one i believe) that does have a small amount of protein in it (same with powerbars, cliff bars).  I think I've heard it can be helpful for very long races/workouts, but I'm really no positive on that.  Any nutritionists here want to offer any advice?

Personally, I'll eat w/e for training even it it has protein.  I will make sure I have some carbs in there too though.  For racing, for the reasons I mentioned, I probably won't eat any protein/fat, it would be all carbs (gels and drink mix) immediately before and during a race.  For breakfast, I eat what I normally eat, even if its a protein source (e.g. yogurt, milk).

2011-06-23 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore

Just got an email from my Tri club that was interesting.  It has some information about fatigue and our understanding of how it works and then tying that back into the ultimate goal of the email - getting people to go on the course preview ride we're hosting.  Copied and pasted below (I took the club president's name out since it was specifically mentioned):

?-------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do you slow down at races when the going gets hard? In your head you want to keep going, you want to keep going fast, you want to beat [the club president] this time out, but when it comes time to gut it out, something inside you tells you that slowing down, stopping, or taking a nap would be a better idea.

There are lots of theories on what fatigue actually is, intramuscular pH getting low, glycogen reserves getting low, even leaky Calcium channels have been blamed. Actually it looks like all of these are partially to blame at one time or another or in some sorts of racing or another. But there is yet another theory, less well fleshed out but one that encompasses all those ideas; that is the Central Governor Theory. The central governor theory says that there is a region of your brain keeping track of all sorts of things, protecting you from harming yourself and changing your behavior accordingly. For example, low glycogen may not directly affect your muscles, but rather that there is an area of your brain keeping track of blood sugar and when your blood sugar starts to get low, it wont allow you to recruit as many muscle fibers, this to keep you from getting your blood sugar so low that you endanger yourself.

By the same token the theory says that elevated or depressed levels of many different things in many different parts of your body may be the cause of fatigue. It's a nice theory that has weaknesses, every fatigue theory has weaknesses in one way or another.

But here's an interesting part about the Central Governor Theory. The theory says that your brain makes calculations based on current levels and what is expected to occur. This can explain nicely the finishing kick some people display. You are going along, your brain is holding you back because your blood sugar is kinda low, but when you see the finish, your subconscious brain then allows you to recruit more muscle fibers again, the idea is that well, you know how far it is and this won't kill me, so now i can run fast. This all is supposed to happen without you consciously thinking about it.

And what does this have to do with the BATC course preview of the Diamond in the Rough Triathlon? Well, the central governor theory says that you are always holding something in reserve; always holding back a little. But also that you are holding back according to the uncertainty you face. So if you are on a course you have ridden, if you recognize where you are, you will subconsciously hold back less than if you were in a totally new position. SO if you go to the BATC course preview Saturday, you will go faster on race day.

And who doesn't want to go faster on race day? I know I do.

End result, RSVP to our group workout director and go do the preview ride! 
-------------------------------------------------------

Some more reading if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_governor
2011-06-24 12:55 AM

User image

Regular
Carmichael

@Joe- that was an awesome article thanks for sharing! Definitely makes you think. I just watched a clip of Rasmus Henning's thoughts on his 2010 World Champioship race. He basically said he was prepared physically and had spent the time to be ready for a good race, but mentally he was a wreck. When something went wrong at the swim start it was like his whole day went down the tubes. Our minds are powerful tools! Pushing past those boundaries and finding that happy place even when your suffering or seemingly doing poorly is key to success in racing.

A month or so ago I watched a video by a sports psychologist talking about mental preparation for racing. He has gone to the world championships for several years now and been one of the motorbike leads for the leading women and men. He told a story about one professional women, I can't remember the name, but she was visibly starting to slow down just a bit on the run. He looked at her closely and what she did next surprised him. She closed her eyes and started flapping her wings like a bird for several minutes. Her stride previously had been pretty heavy and slowing, after this exercise it lightened and quickened slightly. He talked to this woman after the race about what she had done. She said she had been imagining the birds overhead effortlessly flapping their wings, but yet generating strong power. She pictured herself floating over the race course as she flapped her wings and powering her way to the finish line.

It sounds kind of funky and weird but I am a believer. I believe you can use exercises like that to trick your mind, and push through the 'fatigue'. The complete opposite can be true though as seen by Rasmus Henning's Kona effort. He let his mind go to that dark place and it ruined him, he had no answer and suffered a long day. Chrissie in talking about her 09' race when she got her flat said you should not only have a physical flat plan of how you are going to change your tire, but also a mental plan for how you are going to respond when things don't go well. Something like that could not only deflate your tire but your mind as well, unless your prepared to deal with it like Chrissie did.

2011-06-24 9:01 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Its Friday!  We know Christy is going to kill it in WVA this weekend.  Anyone else racing??

Randy
2011-06-24 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3565400

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

Good Luck Christy!!! Can't wait to hear about it

I had tri training this morning. I took everything nice and slow. I'm very worried about my back right now. I did make sure to tell the instructor so he is aware, in case you know, I fall to the ground unexpectedly! I felt fine as long as I was moving. But by the time I got home I could barely  get dressed.

I'm kind of asking opinions right now. In 2008 I saw a wonderful orthopedic, but he's not exactly right around the corner from where I live (his office is near my old employer). Do I suck it up and go back to him, or go to the guy literally 5 minutes from home?

I have a planned group ride on Sunday, we are planning 16+ miles. Really looking forward to it

hope everyone has a great weekend!!

2011-06-24 11:41 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Karla-How far is the previous ortho?  Bottom line for me is I want someone I feel comfortable with.  If its not too far I would go with the previous doc. Hope you are able to do the ride this weekend.

Deb-you feeling any better?

Christy-out of curiousity...how did you decide on the HIM in WVA?  Looking for some hills, availability of moonshine, proximity to the "Scenes from Deliverance Tour"???   Kidding but just curious.
Randy
2011-06-24 11:42 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Hard swim for me at lunch done!  (all swims are hard for me!) Long easy run tonight.  Family out of town so looking to get 4-5 hours of biking in over the weekend.  Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Randy
2011-06-24 6:24 PM
in reply to: #3565790

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Christy-out of curiousity...how did you decide on the HIM in WVA?  Looking for some hills, availability of moonshine, proximity to the "Scenes from Deliverance Tour"???   Kidding but just curious.
Randy

I grew up in Georgia, I'm always looking for a little moonshine and Deliverance Smile.  I'm not sure how I ended up with a race in WVA.  I got the nerve to sign up for a HIM after Eagleman (a kind of local race) was full.  I started to look for a HIM near by, around this time of year, and this is what I ended up with.  It is MUCH smaller than the races I've done the past few years.  I'm hoping that will be nice.

I have the house and kids all ready for my mom to come over for the weekend.  I'm getting really excited about the race and getting away for 2 nights!!  We leave tomorrow morning.  I think my husband is bring his work computer so I might be able to let you know how I do before I get back (if WVA has the internet).  If not, I'll have a full report monday.

Have a great weekend.

Christy

Edited by cbrookhart 2011-06-24 6:30 PM
2011-06-24 6:27 PM
in reply to: #3565614

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
khharms - 2011-06-24 10:32 AM

I'm kind of asking opinions right now. In 2008 I saw a wonderful orthopedic, but he's not exactly right around the corner from where I live (his office is near my old employer). Do I suck it up and go back to him, or go to the guy literally 5 minutes from home?

I have a planned group ride on Sunday, we are planning 16+ miles. Really looking forward to it

hope everyone has a great weekend!!

Thanks!  I would go to the dr you're comfortable with if he's not too far away.  Closer is not always better.  But I guess you could try the closer guy and see what you think of him.  If you're not comfortable, go back tot he old guy.  Good luck.

Christy

2011-06-24 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3566439

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
After spending a few hours online (eyeroll!) My old Dr is not in network, so I ended up with someone new anyhow. I have an appointment next week, we'll see how it goes. Of course if I don't like him, I'll continue a search elsewhere. I just hope this guy isn't knife happy.

2011-06-24 8:05 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Christy-good luck.  Its a long race so don't overdo it on the bike.  Pace yourself and have fun!

Randy 
2011-06-24 8:50 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Good luck this weekend Christy!  Really looking forward to hearing all about it (and how well you did)!!
2011-06-25 3:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I just drove the bike course. OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!  I'm freaking out.  It is going to be brutal.  I'm really scared.  It sucks that it is 2 loops.  It's going to be hard to turn around and do it again, knowing how painful it was the first time.  That said, the swim looks calm and the run is flat and shady.  I really hope I can do it.  Part of me wants to pack up my stuff and drive home.

Wish me luck

Christy

2011-06-25 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3567049

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
cbrookhart - 2011-06-25 3:57 PM

I just drove the bike course. OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!  I'm freaking out.  It is going to be brutal.  I'm really scared.  It sucks that it is 2 loops.  It's going to be hard to turn around and do it again, knowing how painful it was the first time.  That said, the swim looks calm and the run is flat and shady.  I really hope I can do it.  Part of me wants to pack up my stuff and drive home.

Wish me luck

Christy

No packing up and going home!! You can do this!! Don't think about it, just focus on the finish line. You got this girl

2011-06-25 4:08 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Christy-these long races can be intimidating when you think of everything in front of you.  Break it down into smaller more "digestible" pieces and knock them out one by one.  Dont get overwhelmed by any one thing.  Its a long race so take your time and stay within yourself.. you will do fine.  

Plus, I hear the swim is all downhill and that there is moonshine for all finishers followed by banjo serenade.

Be confident!

Randy 

2011-06-25 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3567057

User image

Master
Baltimore
slornow - 2011-06-25 5:08 PMChristy-these long races can be intimidating when you think of everything in front of you.  Break it down into smaller more "digestible" pieces and knock them out one by one.  Dont get overwhelmed by any one thing.  Its a long race so take your time and stay within yourself.. you will do fine.  

Plus, I hear the swim is all downhill and that there is moonshine for all finishers followed by banjo serenade.

Be confident!

Randy 
X2!!
2011-06-25 6:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

You guys are the best! Thanks.  I'm back from dinner and feeling a little better (could be the moonshine).  Going to watch some bad tv and get to sleep early.  I start at 7:53.  Hope to be finished by midnight Smile.

Christy

2011-06-25 10:47 PM

User image

Regular
Carmichael
You got this Christy! Will be thinking of you tomorrow. Just think happy thoughts and you'll be amazed at how fast and enjoyable the day will be.
2011-06-26 4:16 PM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
Just got back to being human again. Looking forward to starting back my training tomorrow. Randy, you are too funny! Really anxious and excited to hear how Christy did!!!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56