BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2012-01-25 7:02 AM
in reply to: #4009001

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED
GoGoGo - 2012-01-24 6:35 PM

Work got the best of yesterday.

Today was a little aggravating...what better reason to "run it out"

10k for me on treadmill...

Running is a great stress buster!

2012-01-25 7:07 AM
in reply to: #4009513

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CarlaLThompson - 2012-01-24 11:21 PM
kenj - 2012-01-24 7:26 AM

Yes, I have loaded the workouts into the Garmin before.  It has been a while though and I don't have my users manual with me here.  I beleive it is in the training menu when you are in the bike mode.  It is a handy feature that I never remember to program ahead of time.

If I don't remember to post the instructions this weekend when I get home, remind me and I will do that.  Did you do the test to determine your CP?  I don't know if you saw the link on the instruction page that gives you the instructions for the test and once the test is done you can load in your results and it will give you your CP and all the training ranges.

Have fun with it!

I see on the Garmin under Bike > Training > Custom that I can program an Interval, say Time = 5 min and have a Power Commitment...

Q.  Is that what you mean by "Loading workouts into your Garmin"?

I have not yet done the Power Test... I think I'm a little nervous to "See how I go"... the hiding is over and the stats will be posted...  Stats are personal, yet I'll have to share them with my coach(s)

Kenj - I plan to just test for 1 x 20 min Max Effort.  Just to get a baseline.  I see the link that you gave me and the testing protocol (1 x 20 min + 1 x 5 min)... and had someone simply advise me to use 1 x 20 min.

I feel like there is so much input regarding Power... how to test and how to train... I hope I can find a happy medium with respect to information overload and  trusting my "Primary Coach".

Yes that is what I was refering too.  it makes it a little easier as you dont have to do the math.  But, like I said, I never remember to do it.

I would think for your first test, you will get a pretty good starting point by doing the 1 X 20 minute test. 

I agree, one of the benefits of having a coach is that he/she deals with the numbers and you can just focus on doing the workouts. 

2012-01-25 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I'm no expert but I never worried about "speed" on a trainer.  It seemed no matter how fast I went I stayed in the same place    I think what is more important is Real Perceived Exertion or HR or watts. (Wouldn't tire pressure change the speed reading pretty much?)

The Vision Quest/Robbie Ventura video on Speed has a good starting point for people with a trainer and nothing else.  They have you shift up over 15 mins to a place where are working hard but can hold it a while at around 90 rpm.   Then they tell you to look at your rings.  Which ones are you in.   Use that as your functional threshold setting.  About a 7 on your RPE scale.  Hard but something you can hold about 20 mins.  If you have a HR, note the pulse rate. Above that is your VO2 max workouts, for hard short bursts.  Below is your tempo and endurance levels for longer workouts. 

Watt meters take out the guess work but they are pricey.   HR meters or RPE and a clock with a second hand can suffice very well.  It's all relative.  Am I getting stronger over time?  Doing tests every once in a while to by doing the same workout over 20 mins for FTP or 4 ins for VO2 will tell the tale. 

Love the bike.

Had a really fun new SE bike workout yesterday where you hold 55 rpm for several minutes and then crank up to 90 room with high resistance for 20 secs 5 times, then high cadence to 120 rpm for 10 mins. and then 5 more SE mashers.  

Swam yesterday.  I figured out that I was not flexible enough before kettlebells to bring my hands close to my head and reach on the stroke.  Now I am so that is making the core swing from side to side much more fluid, not forced or artificial. Funny how things come together like that.

More strength training and an hour run tonight. 

Have a great day.

Had a really fun new SE bike workout yesterday where you hold 55 rpm for several minutes and then crank up to 90 rpm with high resistance for 20 secs 5 times, then high cadence to 120 rpm for 10 mins. and then 5 more SE mashers. 

Swam yesterday.  I figured out that I was not flexible enough before kettlebells to bring my hands close to my head and reach on the stroke.  Now I am so that is making the core swing from side to side much more fluid, not forced or artificial. Funny how things come together like that.

More strength training and an hour run tonight. 

Have a great day.

2012-01-25 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4007377

User image

Veteran
Georgia
gator22 - 2012-01-24 6:42 AM
Wesley12 - 2012-01-23 9:10 PM

I just got my elite fluid trainer and went for my first ride tonight. I have a real hang up with having to konw how far I've gone and how fast I was going.  I have a Cats II bike computer.  I moved my sensor to the rear wheel but I don't think it was giving and accurate reading.  My speed was considerably slower with what I feel like would have been a much faster speed with the same effort outside.  I wish there was a better way to keep up with speed and time on the trainer.  Anyone have any ideas? 

Wesely

I have a KK trainer, outdoors I average 19-21 mph, on my trainer I'm a lot slower according to the readings like 12- 15 mph..I just try to watch my cadence and perceive effort like Ice  said..Depending on which flywheel I use changes the workout also..I don't have a power meter but one day will be looking to purchase one. I figure the seat time in the trainer is better than none at all..

2012-01-25 9:47 AM

User image

Regular

I want to brag on my wife a little.

She ran 3 miles last night without stopping.  This is 8 weeks after having a baby.  She couldn't run at all during the pregnancy and was on bed rest the final 7 weeks.  Also, she could barely walk towards the end because of sciatic nerve pain.  So basically, after not being able to run for almost a year - she's back at it and did 3 miles at only about 1 min/mile slower than her old times.

I'm pretty proud.

2012-01-25 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4010068

User image

Expert
Canada
russrisher - 2012-01-25 11:47 AM

She ran 3 miles last night without stopping.  This is 8 weeks after having a baby.  She couldn't run at all during the pregnancy and was on bed rest the final 7 weeks.  Also, she could barely walk towards the end because of sciatic nerve pain.  So basically, after not being able to run for almost a year - she's back at it and did 3 miles at only about 1 min/mile slower than her old times.

I'm pretty proud.

Congratulations are well deserved!!

2012-01-25 2:37 PM

User image

Expert
Canada

Got off work a little early today.  Whoo Hoo

Went to gym & did a short brick.

Decided to do the run at a a tempo pace & see how my cardio & hamstring responded.  Did very well & held my goal pace.  Sorta proud about that, seeing how much of a slob I have been.

Doesn't take much to enlighten the day sometimes!!

2012-01-25 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4010740

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
GoGoGo - 2012-01-25 12:37 PM

Decided to do the run at a a tempo pace & see how my cardio & hamstring responded.  Did very well & held my goal pace.  Sorta proud about that, seeing how much of a slob I have been.

That's great news, Richard -- way to go!

2012-01-25 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
russrisher - 2012-01-25 9:47 AM

I'm pretty proud.

I bet she is happy about it too!  give her my congratulations!

2012-01-25 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
GoGoGo - 2012-01-25 2:37 PM

yeah Richard!!!!

2012-01-25 3:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
russrisher - 2012-01-25 10:47 AM

I'm pretty proud.

Thats really great!

2012-01-25 9:35 PM
in reply to: #4010863

User image

Master
Sin City

Anyone know how to resolve dry mouth/throat while running?   It's very dry in Vegas, and therefore, pretty dry in gyms and outside.

The last couple times I started to notice that I'm getting a lot of dry mouth/dry throat. It doesn't feel like I'm thirsty, but I drink water to try to resolve the dryness.  It turns out that it's a bit of a bad idea because the water causes side stitches, and there really isn't any reason why I should be drinking a lot of water if I'm doing short runs. 

Any idea?

2012-01-25 11:47 PM
in reply to: #4011409

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-25 8:35 PM

Anyone know how to resolve dry mouth/throat while running?   It's very dry in Vegas, and therefore, pretty dry in gyms and outside.

The last couple times I started to notice that I'm getting a lot of dry mouth/dry throat. It doesn't feel like I'm thirsty, but I drink water to try to resolve the dryness.  It turns out that it's a bit of a bad idea because the water causes side stitches, and there really isn't any reason why I should be drinking a lot of water if I'm doing short runs. 

Any idea?

I don't have a solution for you but is there any chance you are keeping your mouth open a bit while running?  I have a terrible habit of doing that and I have the same issues.

2012-01-25 11:48 PM
in reply to: #4010863

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
acv - 2012-01-25 2:23 PM

I'm pretty proud.

Thats really great!

X2!

2012-01-25 11:49 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
GoGoGo - 2012-01-25 1:37 PM

Great Job!

2012-01-25 11:53 PM
in reply to: #4004607

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
abake - 2012-01-22 1:16 PM
sdswriter - 2012-01-21 7:37 PM
MarlaS - 2012-01-21 3:55 PM
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-21 2:18 PM

However, I definitely need to get some mojo going to do the training. I blame lack of sleep (chronic insomnia sufferer).

Hear you on the sleep thing, too. Trouble falling asleep, or staying asleep? Melatonin seems to be helping me with sleep onset, I think, but between dental woes & my bladder I don't remember the last time I slept through the night non-stop... might also help if I consistently tried an earlier bedtime....

Yikes, sounds like we've got a group of insomniacs on our list! I'm in the same boat. I wake up about 6-7 times a night. It's been going on for 20+ years now. I had some surgery a couple of years ago to rid myself of sleep apnea. I also take a handful of medication to quell restless legs. But I haven't had non-stop sleep night since the mid-1980s. I sometimes think triathlons are a piece of cake compared to getting a good night's sleep!

I am in this club too. I will sleep for about 4 hours, then my brain kicks into some kind of bizarre 45 minute sleep cycle. 

Can I add my name to the list?

I don't know if I have ever slept through the night    I do find that ear plugs help somewhat.  I envy people who can fall asleep in minutes.

2012-01-26 12:02 AM
in reply to: #4004313

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
IceManScott - 2012-01-22 9:25 AM
CarlaLThompson - 2012-01-22 9:58 AM

*  Power Meters       * Training with Power      * Power Testing Protocols

QOTD:  Who has trained with power and seen results of this specific type of training?

I know we  had a discussion earlier related to Power and Testing Protocols, etc... but I'd like to bring that back up again.

I just got the SRAM Quarq GXP Powermeter Compact Crank (S975) and plan to test my Threshold power using 2 x 20 min Testing Protocol.  Not looking forward to hurting for 40 min but if it means I finish my next Ironman in June it will be worth the effort.

Training with power is incredibly helpful if you have the spendable cash.  Unsure the benefit to the weekend warrior justifies the price tag.  I use Power Tap.  It was awesome with a trainer alone but incredible with a computrainer.  My coach can send me workout files and the computer "tells" me what to do. 

I really have enjoyed riding on the computrainer as well. It is a real motivator for me and makes me work! Having a group to ride with and some friendly competition helps.  I don't understand all the power stuff but am trying to learn a bit here and there. To be honest I don't have a huge interest in it. Probably a good thing for my wallet   I think if I understood it more and had a coach to guide me it would be different. Right now I keep debating on the purchase of a treadmill. Jury is still out on that. If I wait long enough, it will be nice out and I won't need to make any decision  

2012-01-26 12:15 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

For the past month or two I have been trying the "run more often" method to see if that would help my running and I have to say that I think it is helping. I see some progress and I appreciate any little bit that I can achieve. For the first time in a long time (maybe ever) I am encouraged about my running. A good feeling.

2012-01-26 1:32 AM
in reply to: #4011509

User image

Master
Sin City
Kath2163 - 2012-01-25 9:53 PM

However, I definitely need to get some mojo going to do the training. I blame lack of sleep (chronic insomnia sufferer).

Hear you on the sleep thing, too. Trouble falling asleep, or staying asleep? Melatonin seems to be helping me with sleep onset, I think, but between dental woes & my bladder I don't remember the last time I slept through the night non-stop... might also help if I consistently tried an earlier bedtime....

Yikes, sounds like we've got a group of insomniacs on our list! I'm in the same boat. I wake up about 6-7 times a night. It's been going on for 20+ years now. I had some surgery a couple of years ago to rid myself of sleep apnea. I also take a handful of medication to quell restless legs. But I haven't had non-stop sleep night since the mid-1980s. I sometimes think triathlons are a piece of cake compared to getting a good night's sleep!

I am in this club too. I will sleep for about 4 hours, then my brain kicks into some kind of bizarre 45 minute sleep cycle. 

I don't know if I have ever slept through the night    I do find that ear plugs help somewhat.  I envy people who can fall asleep in minutes.

I have NO problems falling asleep, it's staying asleep is the issue. Luckily, my insomnia wasn't as severe as it was a few years ago before I got my Cochlear Implant surgery (It cured my 24/7 Migraines and Tinnitus...OY VEY..that was AWFUL!), but I still get them at least once or twice a week. I just deal.

LUCKILY - I'm deaf...so I don't have any issues hearing anything at night. :-P

2012-01-26 1:52 AM

User image

Master
Sin City
I was going to ask it here, but I think asking on a public forum will yield more answers. :-)

Edited by CyborgQueen 2012-01-26 2:36 AM
2012-01-26 4:51 AM
in reply to: #4011542

User image

Expert
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-26 1:32 AM
Kath2163 - 2012-01-25 9:53 PM

I have NO problems falling asleep, it's staying asleep is the issue. Luckily, my insomnia wasn't as severe as it was a few years ago before I got my Cochlear Implant surgery (It cured my 24/7 Migraines and Tinnitus...OY VEY..that was AWFUL!), but I still get them at least once or twice a week. I just deal.

LUCKILY - I'm deaf...so I don't have any issues hearing anything at night. :-P

I am in this group too. I am switching right now from the night shift (16 years) to the day shift and I cannot sleep! I am really smoked. I hope its just adjustment. I also blew out my ear drum diving and I am deaf too....sucks.

2012-01-26 4:53 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I'm pretty proud.

Awesome!  Congrats to your wife!

2012-01-26 4:55 AM
in reply to: #4011518

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2012-01-26 1:15 AM

For the past month or two I have been trying the "run more often" method to see if that would help my running and I have to say that I think it is helping. I see some progress and I appreciate any little bit that I can achieve. For the first time in a long time (maybe ever) I am encouraged about my running. A good feeling.

Another convert!  Yay! 

Great to hear about the improvements Kathleen!

2012-01-26 4:56 AM
in reply to: #4011409

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-25 10:35 PM

Any idea?

Living in the land of high humidity I have not experienced this much.  Sip less? 

2012-01-26 4:58 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good morning all!

Sadly back him in NY, althought the weather isn't bad for January.  It seems like I have spent most of this month traveling so it will be good to spend some time here.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72