BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-02-21 4:44 PM
in reply to: #1225686

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed
triOK - 2008-02-21 7:21 AM
So we are signing up for races, are we? YES!!! It’s really normal to feel uneasy about signing up, but you have to have faith in yourself and in your training. For those that haven’t been to a race before, your first one is really scary… especially when you see some of the bikes and ripped bodies to match. But you’ll quickly discover that those people are not the ones you should be intimidated by… No one there is judging you, or thinking about how ridiculous you look, or questioning why you are there. Most of the time, everyone is so focused on their own race, they could care less what you are doing. So don’t sweat it and if you don’t know, ask. Most people would be glad to help you out and give you some pointers on what to do. Every race is different and a lot of times, no one knows what to do. So don’t worry about feeling out of place, because you’re not. As we get closer to race day, I will make sure to give you some pointers on transition, nutrition (if you need it), and what to expect at a race. But until then, sign up and train. That’s your job for now. J

Thanks, Robyn -- I've got my marching orders now -- sign up for the April 20th Desert Toyota Triathlon. I can do this!

Thanks
Lynn

2008-02-21 5:19 PM
in reply to: #1225689

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Sarah, thanks for sharing your story.  It's very telling that you decided to do triathlons because you'd been laying in bed all day in pain for 3 months.  I know many people who would've just resigned themselves to an "I can't" attitude.

I'm curious:  What sparked your interest in tris?  Did you see a news story, read a magazine, etc.?

Lora

2008-02-21 6:14 PM
in reply to: #1108061

Veteran
I actually was on a "find a hobby" web search and triathlons came up. I remembered seeing it on the Olympics a few years ago. I thought it was soo cool how fast they went! I did a more specific search on it and was hooked...the idea of overcoming something to push through...also i read that a lot of successful athletes started later in life unlike ice skating...so i didnt get intimidated by it.
2008-02-21 10:39 PM

Veteran
so now im curious...how did the rest of you get into triathlons?
2008-02-22 8:01 AM
in reply to: #1227562

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Last year after a couple cold beverages some friends mentioned that there was going to be a triathlon in our town and it would be a fun thing for all of us to do together. The only problem none of us were swimmers/bikers/runners. So with about 1 month of training we "finished" no way compeditive but unfortunately we all are hyper compeditive and vowed to get better, now we are all doing the 70.3 IMFL and I am doing the IMKY. Those couple beers changed my life completely because now everything is based around my training schedule and eating time. That is the problem with this sport if you are OCD your screwed! lol
2008-02-22 10:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
I never really thought about how I got into triathlons, but it's interesting how things work out for the best now that I think about it. I was researching the Disney marathon about a year ago because I saw a friend who did it and I thought it would be so great to run around Disney World. Then I came upon the danskin sprint tri and the disney triathlon and thought maybe I could do that, at least the sprint to start. The same friend was also into triathlons and she was about the same as me as far as body type and activity level so I thought I could try it. I started trying to train for the disney danskin 07 tri in the beginning of 2007 (never signed up for it though) and then I found out in April that I was pregnant and all training was put on hold. After loosing the baby and our one year old great dane in the same weekend in June I got depressed and ate everything in sight to make up for the losses. After months of self pity and trying to figure out why, I decided I couldn't keep up the sadness. In October we got a new rescue dog and he helped to get me back into just getting out of the house and walking each day. By the end of December the idea of training started to creep back into my head. When the new year started I started training for the danskin sprint tri again and I haven't stopped yet! As I've said before I've already signed up for the danskin tri at disney in May so that makes it even more real and makes me believe that I will actually reach my goal this time. It's helped so much to get out of the house and be active again. BT has also made a huge difference, especially this group. I don't know if I would have continued to push myself without the support of this group. So thanks! By the way, I'm 24, 25 in April. What's even better than getting my health and endurance back is that I've encouraged my entire family to run in a 5k at Disney the weekend before the tri. It's so great to hear that they are all going to the gym, running, and feeling heathier and better about themselves. It's going to be an amazing feeling to cross the finish line with my husband, mom, dad, brother, sister, and aunt there with me...I'm so excited!

2008-02-22 10:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
wow, didn't mean to write a book guys
2008-02-22 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1227855

User image

Veteran

Wow that sounds like a good book title..."How a Six Pack took me from couch to Ironman in a year"...pretty awesome accomplishments...and motivational for those us just starting to put down the beer and get up off the couch! 

2008-02-22 10:28 AM
in reply to: #1228381

User image

Veteran
30 degrees in SD tomorrow!!!!!  Heatwave!  Too bad I have to coach basketball all day and can't go outside for a run.  Still nice to have a little warm(er) weather though.
2008-02-22 11:52 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Since we're swapping stories:

It was around September 2007. Chef Rocco DiSpirito was doing a segment on The Today Show. I hadn't seen him since his American Express commercials and he looked different. He was never what one would describe as overweight, but he had clearly shed some pounds and looked so trim.

Host Ann Curry agreed with my impression as she asked him what he had been doing. He replied, "Triathlons."

What? How random is that?

Rocco then stated something that gave me hope. He continued that approximately 10% of the participants who compete in triathlons have disabilities. I don't have a disability, but this statistic lent credibility to the sport's accessability for an average Jane like me.

I Googled "beginner triathletes" and found a Web site called (you guessed it) http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/.

After much reading, I was hooked. Primarily because any fitness training that I could do from this point on would now have an immediate purpose.

Currently my motivation to work out is because in 30 years my bones might be stronger or in 30 years I might still not be overweight.

Now, my motivation to work out is because I need to get and stay fit to have the best body working for me to compete well in a triathlon - in a few months.

HERE'S THE KEY: The better fitness is the inevitable side effect - not the goal

This switch in perception and motivation has made all of the difference for me.  I actually love working out now.
2008-02-22 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1228315

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Sarah:  Good for you for giving this a try.  You're absolutely right that this sport is for us "late entries."

David:  That is a very unique way to have gotten into this.  That's cool that you got into it so enthusiastically.

Heather:  So sorry for the loss of your baby and your dog.  I'm glad your new furry buddy helped bring you out of the funk and into this group.  We're glad to have you on board!

Lora

2008-02-22 10:53 PM
in reply to: #1228318

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Good to see you back online Gator -- Was wondering how you've been feeling.

It's great to hear everyone's stories. Thanks for sharing them.

I did it. I registered for my first tri -- April 20th. It's a sprint, of course. Now just keep training.

I also found another website trifuel.com and read some of the forums (lurking) and got some good information and this funny link about the swim start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk

Thanks for everyone's input. Good to know I'm not the only one doing this. Hope everyone has great workouts this weekend!

~Lynn
2008-02-23 6:59 AM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

Hey Kids!

OMGoodness Lynn!

That was so funny I was laughing so hard my son came in to see what I was laughing at.

I have some training questions.  My first tri of the season will be the Lonestar sprint in Galveston March 29th.  I have 36 days until then.  I crawled into a cave (figuratively) from the 7th until the 19th. I'm back on track and actually trying to push a bit harder. I'm doing the 16 week Olympic plan (2x) and have been pseudo keeping up with it and am back on it now. I started Jan 1 and am now in the 8th week.  The week before the tri will be week 13.

My questions are:

How much longer should I continue to push it hard? I hear a lot about tapering.  Is it necessary to slow down just the 7 days before or should I start to taper in week 12? What actually is a taper? Should I use the last two weeks of the 16 week plan to replace weeks 12 and 13?

I  am so impressed with all of you.  I love the survivor mentality of you guys! It is so easy to take the role of the victim and you guys have chosen to persevere and focus on positive action. 

I'll write a bit of my story later...I chose to be a survivor too.

With respect and awe,

Les 

2008-02-23 7:58 AM

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT

Those are some great stories, I'm completely impressed with everyone's background and motivation.  I hope when this tri-group thing ends we all stay in touch, it's been great being in this group even though I've done more reading than writing.  Sorry about that by the way!

Hey Lora, interesting story on seeing Rocco on the Today show.  I was actually in that triathlon he did, what are the odds you'd mention that race.  Great race by the way.

Les, if I can offer my two cents on the tapering process, I go with a 2 week taper.  2 weeks out I start to back off on the mileage a bit, but keep the quality of the workout the same effortwise.  And instead of doing say 2 harder workouts, I'll just do one.  The final week of the taper I back off on the mileage even more, and take a couple days off entirely.  Gives your body a chance to reenergize and let any aches get some rest.  If your race is on a Sunday, maybe go out Friday or Saturday for a very short easy workout, just to relieve some stress and anxiety, it's a good way to hit the starting line more relaxed.  But most importantly, just smile and have fun with it.  Don't worry about any nerves, cause as we've all shared, you can bet every single person in the tri has the same nerves.  You'll do great.

I'm off to my marathon tomorrow, thanks for the well wishes.  You guys have shared some great motivational stories here, that gives me lots to think about during the 26.2.  Have a great weekend.

Jay

2008-02-23 8:41 AM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

Go Jay Go!

Thanks for the info on the taper. The info on the intensity/frequency made a lot of sense.

Have a great time tomorrow.

Les 

2008-02-23 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1230629

User image

Master
Vista, CA
stayfocused - 2008-02-23 5:58 AM

I'm off to my marathon tomorrow, thanks for the well wishes. You guys have shared some great motivational stories here, that gives me lots to think about during the 26.2. Have a great weekend.

Jay

Good Luck, Jay. You will ROCK !!!

2008-02-23 1:40 PM

Veteran
GOOD LUCK JAY!! Cant wait to hear all about it! Im sure youll be great!

Sarah
2008-02-24 9:42 PM
in reply to: #1230957

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

My story:

Long story short, I was running a "Toys for Tots" 5 K back in November, and rolled my ankle, breaking my foot. While I was stcuck at home, and hobbling aorund on my in my airc ast, I picked up a "triathlete" magazine, and started reading. ( I had already read Running Times, Trail Runner, and Runner"s World) and I thought, "hey, they got these sprint things...I might could do one of those with some serious training...and  a bike...and a set of goggles, and a helmet...and a wetsuit...and a...and a......  Then I found out they have these sprints down in Panama City Beach, which is only about 70 miles from here. This is the same place that I have visited since I was a small boy, was stationed at while in the Coast Guard, and have done about 90% of my offshore fishing from. So I am quite familiar with the area, (although it is changing way to fast!)  It's also the home of the Florida IM...so since I am so wrapped up this stuff now, I'm gonna at least try and vol. for it this year.

Oh, And I just got back from spending the weekend down there with some friends, I got do do some bike riding while I was there...Laughing

2008-02-25 7:46 AM

User image

I will be away from my desk today, but I will get to the taper question tonight when I get home. 

Great job with the 26.2, Jay!  Congrats!

And some very inspiring stories.

2008-02-25 10:11 PM

User image

Master

Stayfocused qualified for Boston on Sunday, and our group is on page two???  WTF??

Way to go Jay!!!!

I am sick as sick can be, and hopped up on loads of OTC cold medicines....  At least I am in San Diego for the next 9 days.  Hopefully I can at least kick the fever soon.  I have a lot I want to do while I am here.  Keep training everyone!!!

2008-02-25 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi everyone! I feel badly that the past few weeks my involvement in this group went down. Please know that I went back and caught up with all of you. I really have enjoyed this group and it has made a huge difference for me. Congrats to all of you for sharing your stories, signing up for tri's and staying in touch.

I am 43 and my first tri is at the end of April... which is no longer that far away (yikes). My motivation is simple... health. I chose the tri for the cure to celebrate my 2 year anniversary... so it most likely will be powerful.

Elizabeth

2008-02-26 12:05 AM

User image

Denver,CO
Hi guys,

My computer has been down so I couldn't add my work outs. Everything is up to date now for last week.

I decided to get into doing tri's due to my ex-sister-in -law. She said she was going to do a triathlon this year in honor of her 50th birthday. She also has a form of lou gerighs. So she thought this might be the last year she could try anything like this. I laughed at her and said you are going to do the Ironman( the only tri I knew about). She said no a smaller one. So I went home and investigated these smaller ones. Sprints I found out. So I called her up and said I wanted to do the sprint with her in honor of both of us turning 50. All's I know is that this one would be in Seattle in July. She still hasn't said when. So I hooked up with you guys and began training in Oct of 07. I am serious. But I can't seem to get her to answer me if she is going to be doing the Sprint or not. She is now planning a wedding. Whether I do this with her or not I am still doing the Sprint. Tri for the Cure Denver in Aug 2008. I am going to be looking for another one to do in July. Plus I will be doing a relay for a sprint.
I started out doing this for her. Now I am doing this for me. With or with out her.

Laura
2008-02-26 6:30 AM

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT

Wow, it seems like several of you have tri's lined up in April, and many will be your first tri, that's awesome!!  April huh?  Hmmm, that tells me many of you must be in nice, warm weather climates.  I can only dream of stepping in open water in April, brrrr.... !!

Just wanted to say thanks for the many "congrats" I got for the marathon, you guys are very supportive.  Shows why BT is such a great place to post your workouts, chatt with others, learn, offer advice and get support.  It sucks we are all so far apart though, a group bike ride with all of you would be a blast!!

Jay

2008-02-26 8:38 AM

User image

So we have a BQer amoungst us!  Impressive!  Way to go!

So for the taper question... taper is just a period of time before your "A" race that you back off on the intensity, take time to rest up, and rejuvenate yourself to get ready to give it your all.  The length of your taper depends on the distance of the race and how physically fit you are.  For someone that is training 10-14 hours a week for Ironman doesn't really need to taper that much for a sprint (if even at all), but for most everyone a race does require a little bit of rest time beforehand in order to race at your best.  Its *really* hard for me to spit out a taper time that would work for everyone.  For your first sprint I would take an easy week leading up to the race, no intensity workouts, and go a little lighter on the volume.  Take the day before off and use it to make sure that you have everything lined up.... or maybe practice your transitions that day. 

Things I would suggest NOT doing before the race

1.  Freak out.

2.  Freak out and cancel the race.

3.  A hard workout

4.  Buy new race gear

5.  Eat fried chicken

6.  Eat spicy food

7.  Injure yourself falling of your bike

8.  Freak out.

9.  Get a massage

10.  Run a marathon (or any other race)

I am sure there are many more that I am forgetting, but I will let you know as they come up.

The main thing you want to remember is that you want to be rested for your race.  Some people start to feel guilty when they don't work out, but you are honestly doing yourself more harm than good at that point.  You will have put in the time up to the race to be able to do well, so rest up so that you can be at your best.

2008-02-26 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Great Run Jay,
Way to fight through the last few miles!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52