General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2011-01-25 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3319671

Expert
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
wozin8or - 2011-01-25 3:05 AM Just had a great 65 min / 9 mile run on the waterfront in Hong Kong! But I am stressing over missed workouts while I am traveling for work. Between time zone changes and long plane trips it is hard to get motivated. The swim seems to be the toughest. Anyone have any advise on how to cover weeks while traveling? Or what to do with missed workouts?

HONG KONG! That's China!--Obnoxious Etrade guy 

2011-01-25 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3319671

User image

Foster City, CA
wozin8or - 2011-01-25 1:05 AM Just had a great 65 min / 9 mile run on the waterfront in Hong Kong! But I am stressing over missed workouts while I am traveling for work. Between time zone changes and long plane trips it is hard to get motivated. The swim seems to be the toughest. Anyone have any advise on how to cover weeks while traveling? Or what to do with missed workouts?

I'm in the same boat (on the same plane?) as you, typically on the road 2-3 days per week, a couple weeks per month, so I'm looking forward to tips as well.  Right now I'm just rearranging my workouts to get my swims/rides in up to the day I leave and pushing my runs to when I'm on the road.  My trips are within the U.S. so it's easier for me to take later flights (preferably red-eyes), allowing me to get one last swim and bike in before I take off.  Hotel gyms are hit-and-miss but I've gotten lucky a couple times with spin bikes.  Luckily, I've only missed one or two workouts, but I don't try to make them up.
2011-01-25 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

I started the plan last week and am having to juggle the days around quite a bit. I've searched the forums and haven't had any luck finding it, but is there a blank version of the weekly template available to download? It would make it so much cleaner for me to have posted on my wall the workouts for the appropriate days rather than arrows and scratched out words all over it. 
2011-01-25 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3320417

Expert
H2OLGD - 2011-01-25 10:51 AM I started the plan last week and am having to juggle the days around quite a bit. I've searched the forums and haven't had any luck finding it, but is there a blank version of the weekly template available to download? It would make it so much cleaner for me to have posted on my wall the workouts for the appropriate days rather than arrows and scratched out words all over it. 

Yeah I think that's waht comes with being a paying member.  It would make my life easier as well.  Basically I just spend an hour or so every two weeks working these in to my preliminary calendar along with customized run workouts.  This way I can move around according to my schedule. 
2011-01-25 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3320417

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
H2OLGD - 2011-01-25 10:51 AM

I started the plan last week and am having to juggle the days around quite a bit. I've searched the forums and haven't had any luck finding it, but is there a blank version of the weekly template available to download? It would make it so much cleaner for me to have posted on my wall the workouts for the appropriate days rather than arrows and scratched out words all over it. 

Last week was my first week into the plan, too. This will be my third time using this plan and it has worked very well. I do move things around quite a bit and have varied some of the workouts to better match my strengths, weaknesses, and schedule. I'm also starting out with less volume and more frequency due to past injuries. I'll catch up soon on total volume but need to ease into it more than most. I am almost painfree today and am thrilled.

I have not seen a blank version but I print each of the weekly sections and tailor to my situation while maintaining the goals of the week and than load them into a template in Excel. It works really well to color code workouts and copy/paste workout descriptions. Good luck on your journey. Which half are you doing?

Edited by popsracer 2011-01-25 12:46 PM
2011-01-25 7:15 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Another ride along the coast after work today.  I hope this great weather keeps up.  It is so great to get off the trainer and on the street!

2011-01-25 8:34 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Traveling: do the best you can do. The obvious answer is to save your run workouts for travel days and do your swim and bike at home. You also can find one of those swimming pool directories online for whatever city you are traveling to.
We all have our idiosyncrasies we need to accommodate. For my last IM, I had to do all of my training before 1PM in the afternoon. All my workouts, except the weekends, were only a few hours apart at the most. It worked out fine because I got really good at working out, napping, working out, then picking up daughter at 1. In the end it didn't hurt me at all. Traveling can be the same. Maybe you have a strange schedule where you train 4x a week but fit in three workouts on those days and then have 3 whole days off when traveling. You can make a million different scenarios work for you.
Each week has a key workout for each discipline. In a beginner long distance plan like this, it's usually the long workouts for the bike and run and possibly the swim. To the best of your ability, keep at least a day in between those key workouts to allow you to perform them with optimal rest. Then build the rest of your days around that.
2011-01-25 10:11 PM
in reply to: #3321604

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
Tri Take Me Away - 2011-01-25 7:34 PM Traveling: do the best you can do. The obvious answer is to save your run workouts for travel days and do your swim and bike at home. You also can find one of those swimming pool directories online for whatever city you are traveling to.
We all have our idiosyncrasies we need to accommodate. For my last IM, I had to do all of my training before 1PM in the afternoon. All my workouts, except the weekends, were only a few hours apart at the most. It worked out fine because I got really good at working out, napping, working out, then picking up daughter at 1. In the end it didn't hurt me at all. Traveling can be the same. Maybe you have a strange schedule where you train 4x a week but fit in three workouts on those days and then have 3 whole days off when traveling. You can make a million different scenarios work for you.
Each week has a key workout for each discipline. In a beginner long distance plan like this, it's usually the long workouts for the bike and run and possibly the swim. To the best of your ability, keep at least a day in between those key workouts to allow you to perform them with optimal rest. Then build the rest of your days around that.

During Christmas was able to go to a 24hr Fitness that had a pool I believe the daily fee was around $15 which included everything. Did take my bike so i was able to ride. Running no problem can go anywhere for that
2011-01-25 10:12 PM
in reply to: #3321604

Expert
Tri Take Me Away - 2011-01-25 8:34 PM Traveling: do the best you can do. The obvious answer is to save your run workouts for travel days and do your swim and bike at home. You also can find one of those swimming pool directories online for whatever city you are traveling to.

Seems obvious enough but actually excellent insight here.  I'm lucky to work in a pretty normal schedule, but it changes at the flip of a switch, and I really do have to make tons of scenarios work.   I can't allow myself naps or else I don't sleep at night, but this is really fabulous.  Thanks jess!
2011-01-25 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
Thanks for the support and confirmation. That extra day off did wonders I had 2 good workouts today. Swim was 1820yds w/2x300 at race pace and the run was 1m easy 8x600m 5k pace w/400m jog recoveries 1m easy. I was mentally and physically refreshed and was actually looking forward to the workouts today.

Edited by fowlmood 2011-01-26 8:38 AM
2011-01-26 9:49 AM

User image

checking in again...half marathon Sunday was slow (1:57) but fun, chatted with a friend the whole course Getting ready to move-again-but I'm still getting in as many of my workouts as I can. Still no bike, luckily there are spin classes/bikes everywhere, still hoping to figure something out! Swim is feeling pretty solid now, even though I missed some time because of a burn (gonna leave an ugly scar on my thigh too). Got a chance to experiment with nutrition stuff on a borrowed bike ride Monday before I flew home, that's gonna be tricky!

Happy Wednesday!

2011-01-26 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3322318

Expert
Mellissa - 2011-01-26 9:49 AM checking in again...half marathon Sunday was slow (1:57) but fun, chatted with a friend the whole course Getting ready to move-again-but I'm still getting in as many of my workouts as I can. Still no bike, luckily there are spin classes/bikes everywhere, still hoping to figure something out! Swim is feeling pretty solid now, even though I missed some time because of a burn (gonna leave an ugly scar on my thigh too). Got a chance to experiment with nutrition stuff on a borrowed bike ride Monday before I flew home, that's gonna be tricky!

Happy Wednesday!

Presumably you cant rent a bike for tri day if you need to right? I know this isn't ideal but you should be able to get something pretty good.  I'm going on vacation in a month or so to the FL keys and want to ride when I'm down there.  Checked out bike rental and I can get on some pretty nice stuff for like $40/day.  I assume you could too.  I am gonna take this as my opportunity to test ride some bikes! 
2011-01-26 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3320758

User image

popsracer - 2011-01-25 12:45 PM
H2OLGD - 2011-01-25 10:51 AM I started the plan last week and am having to juggle the days around quite a bit. I've searched the forums and haven't had any luck finding it, but is there a blank version of the weekly template available to download? It would make it so much cleaner for me to have posted on my wall the workouts for the appropriate days rather than arrows and scratched out words all over it. 
Last week was my first week into the plan, too. This will be my third time using this plan and it has worked very well. I do move things around quite a bit and have varied some of the workouts to better match my strengths, weaknesses, and schedule. I'm also starting out with less volume and more frequency due to past injuries. I'll catch up soon on total volume but need to ease into it more than most. I am almost painfree today and am thrilled. I have not seen a blank version but I print each of the weekly sections and tailor to my situation while maintaining the goals of the week and than load them into a template in Excel. It works really well to color code workouts and copy/paste workout descriptions. Good luck on your journey. Which half are you doing?

I'm signed up for the half in Lawrence, KS in June. I too am recovering from an injury (pretty nasty stress fracture) and was forced to take six months off running. I'm not much of a runner yet, so the progressive nature of this program looked appealing to me. I will also be doing the Go! St. Louis half marathon in April, so I might add a bit more frequency to the plan as well once I am confident the injury has healed. 

My goal this time last year, prior to the injury, was to do a full ironman in 2011.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it could still be a possibility. Unfortunately all the "official" ironman races are full for the year outside of Louisville. That might be cutting the timetable of my abilities a wee bit close.  There's still the Rev3 in Sandusky, OH in September, though.  At the very least I'll do another half (Branson, MO) later in the year.
2011-01-27 5:20 AM

Hi,

I'm new here and just started my preparations for hIM Galway Ireland. Done two marathons and couple smaller races. It's time to push it bit harder Im so so scared/curious/hyped about this race.

best of luck everyone  
2011-01-27 5:43 AM

User image

New user

Hi to all,

My name is Nikos, 44, I live in Greece and training for my second half ironman scheduled for March 22nd. Using yor programme  for the first time. So far so good! Many thanks for making the programme available!

2011-01-27 6:06 AM
in reply to: #3323991

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake
3fighter - 2011-01-27 6:20 AM Hi,

I'm new here and just started my preparations for hIM Galway Ireland. Done two marathons and couple smaller races. It's time to push it bit harder Im so so scared/curious/hyped about this race.

best of luck everyone  

Welcome!

2011-01-27 6:06 AM
in reply to: #3324005

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake
NikosD - 2011-01-27 6:43 AM

Hi to all,

My name is Nikos, 44, I live in Greece and training for my second half ironman scheduled for March 22nd. Using yor programme  for the first time. So far so good! Many thanks for making the programme available!

Nice to have you hear!
2011-01-27 6:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake
Ok, first 4 days on the road and now a 103 degree fever. This is looking like a totally lost training week!Yell
2011-01-27 7:50 AM

Expert
Welcome fellas--Galway is beautiful! I've never done a race there but did a little backpacking, what a wonderful place.  And feel better man, don't push it.  Training is cumulative.
2011-01-27 9:08 AM

User image

Welcome new posters

@JG, I'll be borrowing a bike for race weekend, I'm a little worried about not getting outdoor time in while training. But since its my first HIM, I don't have a time expectation.
2011-01-27 9:57 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
First phys therapy session tomorrow for my IT band issues.  Hope I'm a fast healer cause that half mary the end of Feb is staring me right in the face.

2011-01-27 11:00 AM

Newbie here. Jumped in and signed up for Ironman Augusta this year. Figured I'd quit lurking in this thread and post too Nice to see other people struggling with the same things I do. Great to have some support, even if I'm just reading about it.

Swimming is the only part that bothers me, but I've made good progress in the first month of training, so I'm not terrible worried about it. I've completed a marathon and century ride in the past, so I think with proper training I can finish, and hopefully do well to boot. But I'll settle for just finishing.
2011-01-27 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3323079

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
H2OLGD - 2011-01-26 2:29 PM
popsracer - 2011-01-25 12:45 PM
Last week was my first week into the plan, too. This will be my third time using this plan and it has worked very well. I do move things around quite a bit and have varied some of the workouts to better match my strengths, weaknesses, and schedule. I'm also starting out with less volume and more frequency due to past injuries. I'll catch up soon on total volume but need to ease into it more than most. I am almost painfree today and am thrilled. I have not seen a blank version but I print each of the weekly sections and tailor to my situation while maintaining the goals of the week and than load them into a template in Excel. It works really well to color code workouts and copy/paste workout descriptions. Good luck on your journey. Which half are you doing?

I'm signed up for the half in Lawrence, KS in June. I too am recovering from an injury (pretty nasty stress fracture) and was forced to take six months off running. I'm not much of a runner yet, so the progressive nature of this program looked appealing to me. I will also be doing the Go! St. Louis half marathon in April, so I might add a bit more frequency to the plan as well once I am confident the injury has healed. 

My goal this time last year, prior to the injury, was to do a full ironman in 2011.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it could still be a possibility. Unfortunately all the "official" ironman races are full for the year outside of Louisville. That might be cutting the timetable of my abilities a wee bit close.  There's still the Rev3 in Sandusky, OH in September, though.  At the very least I'll do another half (Branson, MO) later in the year.

Welcome!! Thanks for joining us. Rev3 is an absolutely AWESOME race experience. If that ends up being your full IM you will thoroughly enjoy it. If I ever do a full or half IM again, I will do my very best to choose a Rev3 or other independent race organization over the official" races. Usually a lot less people and a bit more customer service.
2011-01-27 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3323991

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
3fighter - 2011-01-27 5:20 AM Hi,

best of luck everyone  

Welcome, and thank you for joining the discussion! I look forward to seeing you develop into a half-ironman athlete.
2011-01-27 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3324005

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
NikosD - 2011-01-27 5:43 AM

Hi to all,

Thank you for joining us! If you have any questions, please ask!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150