BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-03-28 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3256125

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED
I think Jon may have raced this weekend too! Looking forward to hear about those results!!

You are all doing so well in your training and making smart choices. These races are going to be exciting to hear about all year!

2011-03-28 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3417201

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh
CONGRATULATIONS DALE!!!!! You did SO SO awesome! How exciting Smile
2011-03-28 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran

Congratulations Dale!  That is great that you were able to race so early in the season and that you accomplished your goals!

QOTD:  After my experiences on my bike yesterday, I would like to know the best ways to attack a hill when riding.  I do not know if this is a great question of the day or just a question, but I can't ride anywhere around here without facing hills. 

2011-03-28 12:29 PM
in reply to: #3418010

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
mcommend - 2011-03-28 12:22 PM

Congratulations Dale!  That is great that you were able to race so early in the season and that you accomplished your goals!

QOTD:  After my experiences on my bike yesterday, I would like to know the best ways to attack a hill when riding.  I do not know if this is a great question of the day or just a question, but I can't ride anywhere around here without facing hills. 

simple answer: Practice!!! seriously, it depends on the size of the hill and circumstance of the race or training session. Either way, practice practice practice!!

part of attacking hills is learning your body's strengths/weaknesses are with short and long twitch muscles. More time in the hills will give you a good feel on what cadence and efforts to put out. Some of this is simply learning what gear you like. The rest is power and endurance.

Edited by Meulen 2011-03-28 12:47 PM
2011-03-28 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3418027

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
congrats, dale. it's official- you are a triathlete!
2011-03-28 1:04 PM

Regular
Goleta / Santa Barbara

Question regarding hill riding.  One thing I learned from my race yesterday is to do more hills.  The race was all hill.  If you can practice on the hills, you will be ready for any race.  The flat parts won't be a problem.  The challenge is  in the hills.  I would practice as much hills as possible and find some really steep ones too.  I mean steep.  There were hills in the race so steep people were walking up them.  I have totaly rethought my bike training after that race.  I thought I was riding on hilly routes until that race.  The hills in the race were bigger, steeper and longer than normal riding.

2011-03-28 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3418098

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shrevemaintenance - 2011-03-28 1:04 PM

Question regarding hill riding.  One thing I learned from my race yesterday is to do more hills.  The race was all hill.  If you can practice on the hills, you will be ready for any race.  The flat parts won't be a problem.  The challenge is  in the hills.  I would practice as much hills as possible and find some really steep ones too.  I mean steep.  There were hills in the race so steep people were walking up them.  I have totaly rethought my bike training after that race.  I thought I was riding on hilly routes until that race.  The hills in the race were bigger, steeper and longer than normal riding.

you'll find that short steep hills become pretty easy pretty quickly. The trick to those is to recognize them coming, gain enough speed and quickly get to the right gear to carry your momentum up and over. The tricky ones are the looooooooon climbs. Those take practice, and the endurance that comes along with that practice. That said, hill training is sooooo beneficial. Not only will you find hill training makes you more proficient at hills, but makes you faster in the flats!! Every other week or so, in the summer I like to either, similate some climbs on my trainer, or find a local hill and do some repeats.
2011-03-28 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3418027

User image

Veteran
Meulen - 2011-03-28 1:29 PM

simple answer: Practice!!! seriously, it depends on the size of the hill and circumstance of the race or training session. Either way, practice practice practice!! part of attacking hills is learning your body's strengths/weaknesses are with short and long twitch muscles. More time in the hills will give you a good feel on what cadence and efforts to put out. Some of this is simply learning what gear you like. The rest is power and endurance.

As you and Dale said, I know I need to practice.  My international tri is 12.5 miles uphill.  It's done in 2 loops, and each loop literally has 6 straight miles uphill.  I guess that my practice is really asking about the technical aspect.  What type of cadence should I be shooting for?  Should I be using gears where my legs are flying, but I am still moving? Or should it be trying to get gears where I am really powering though each stroke but have a low cadence?  Just some things that crossed my mind yesterday. 

2011-03-28 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3418128

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
mcommend - 2011-03-28 1:15 PM

Meulen - 2011-03-28 1:29 PM

simple answer: Practice!!! seriously, it depends on the size of the hill and circumstance of the race or training session. Either way, practice practice practice!! part of attacking hills is learning your body's strengths/weaknesses are with short and long twitch muscles. More time in the hills will give you a good feel on what cadence and efforts to put out. Some of this is simply learning what gear you like. The rest is power and endurance.

As you and Dale said, I know I need to practice.  My international tri is 12.5 miles uphill.  It's done in 2 loops, and each loop literally has 6 straight miles uphill.  I guess that my practice is really asking about the technical aspect.  What type of cadence should I be shooting for?  Should I be using gears where my legs are flying, but I am still moving? Or should it be trying to get gears where I am really powering though each stroke but have a low cadence?  Just some things that crossed my mind yesterday. 

I can't tell you this. My muscular make up is different than yours.

You will have a comfortable cadence somewhere between 60 and 120, and probably between 80-95. Big range,....I know. Some people will do 65 on hills and have a 90ish comfortable cadence on the flats. Others switch between 2 cadences over long climbs. Typically they start with a higher cadence, 90-100. Then, as they fatigue they shift to harder gears and go to a lower cadence 60-70. Alberto Contadore is known to switch back and forth. When you train you should be doing that to develop both short and long twitch muscles. When I first started I used to train with both high and low cadence and switch back and forth. But in races I usually powered through hills with one lower cadence. Now, I tend to switch back and forth more. You just have to get out there and try these things and see how they feel. That's part of the pratice.

Edited by Meulen 2011-03-28 1:27 PM
2011-03-28 1:39 PM

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
this week i'm home and i went downstairs for two minutes to put some laundry in and when i came upstairs i found my youngest with michael's bike pump in his mouth!! my oldest was trying to "pump him up!" yikes!
2011-03-28 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3418196

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
libramom - 2011-03-28 1:39 PM

this week i'm home and i went downstairs for two minutes to put some laundry in and when i came upstairs i found my youngest with michael's bike pump in his mouth!! my oldest was trying to "pump him up!" yikes!

oh no!!! As long as they are ok, it's pretty funny! LOL

2011-03-28 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3418196

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh

libramom - 2011-03-28 2:39 PM this week i'm home and i went downstairs for two minutes to put some laundry in and when i came upstairs i found my youngest with michael's bike pump in his mouth!! my oldest was trying to "pump him up!" yikes!

Haha, if only it were that easy to get "pumped up" LOL.

2011-03-28 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

QOTD: Favorite recipes anyone? This is a favorite for those decadent days when you need desert that can still be considered "healthy"!

Vegan Chocolate Avocado Mousse! (I think I got this from a beachbody.com email)
Makes about 2 quarter-cup servings - this stuff is rich, so ya don't need much. I recommend dipping fresh strawberries in it!

3oz avocado
2 TBSP cocoa powder (unsweetened/baking cocoa)
2 TBSP Agave Nectar (or other natural sweetener)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

combine ingredients in blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Can be served immediately but is best if chilled in fridge for at least 1 hour.  (after chilling the consistancy becomes more like frosting.)

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1/4 cup

Amount per Serving

Calories 156
Calories from Fat 72.0

Total Fat8g

Saturated Fat 1.5g

Cholesterol0mg

Sodium0mg

Total Carbohydrate24g

Dietary Fiber 5.5g

Sugars 21g

Protein2.5g

2011-03-28 3:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

From what I've read in my training books, ideally we would approach hills and shift gears efficiently enough to maintain the same cadence going up as approaching...that said, I haven't gotten outside to train on hills at all yet (I've been using hill programs on the stationary bike at least) so I have yet to test this intention. And like Brian said, different people have different ideal cadences so, yeah, for what it's worth that's my 2 cents.

2011-03-28 4:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
shrevemaintenance - 2011-03-27 10:51 PM

I DID IT !!!!!!!!!!!! I DID IT !!!!!!!!!!!! I DID IT !!!!!!!!!!!! I DID IT !!!!!!!!!!!! I DID IT !!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS DALE!!!!! You are so awesome, man! It is so helpful to read your experience and hear what things happened that were just out of your control. Like that idiot moving all your gear in the transition area! TWICE?! I know that there will be things out of my control on race day and all I can do is be as well prepared as I can, and roll with the punches.

I've been reading a book of short stories accounting various people's first triathlon experiences and yours definitely resonated like some of the ones I've been reading. In fact, you were far more prepared than some folks! I can't wait for my raceday!

Are you already planning your next triathlon?

2011-03-28 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
shrevemaintenance - 2011-03-27 10:51 PM

I DID IT !!!!!!!!!!!! I DID IT !!!!!!!!!!!! I DID IT !!!!!!!!!!!! I DID IT !!!!!!!!!!!! I DID IT !!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS DALE!!!!! You are so awesome, man! It is so helpful to read your experience and hear what things happened that were just out of your control. Like that idiot moving all your gear in the transition area! TWICE?! I know that there will be things out of my control on race day and all I can do is be as well prepared as I can, and roll with the punches.

I've been reading a book of short stories accounting various people's first triathlon experiences and yours definitely resonated like some of the ones I've been reading. In fact, you were far more prepared than some folks! I can't wait for my raceday!

Are you already planning your next triathlon?

2011-03-28 10:25 PM
in reply to: #3418426

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
QueerDrummer - 2011-03-28 4:15 PM

QOTD: Favorite recipes anyone? This is a favorite for those decadent days when you need desert that can still be considered "healthy"!

Vegan Chocolate Avocado Mousse! (I think I got this from a beachbody.com email)
Makes about 2 quarter-cup servings - this stuff is rich, so ya don't need much. I recommend dipping fresh strawberries in it!

3oz avocado
2 TBSP cocoa powder (unsweetened/baking cocoa)
2 TBSP Agave Nectar (or other natural sweetener)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

combine ingredients in blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Can be served immediately but is best if chilled in fridge for at least 1 hour.  (after chilling the consistancy becomes more like frosting.)

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1/4 cup

Amount per Serving

Calories 156
Calories from Fat 72.0

Total Fat8g

Saturated Fat 1.5g

Cholesterol0mg

Sodium0mg

Total Carbohydrate24g

Dietary Fiber 5.5g

Sugars 21g

Protein2.5g

this looks awesome, henry. my two favorite foods- i'm going to make it soon. thanks for posting!!

2011-03-29 7:31 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
QOTD: This one is out of the Soprano's Family Cookbook. Anne and I like to substitute for 100% whole wheat penne to make us feel like it's "healthy" LOL

Penne alla Vodka
The Sopranos Family Cookbook

3 T unsalted butter

2 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped

2 oz thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into thin strips

1 28-32 oz can Italian peeled tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped

1/2 t crushed red pepper

1/2 C heavy cream

1/4 C vodka

Salt (to taste)

1 lb penne

1/2 C freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

In a skillet large enough to hold the cooked pasta, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in the prosciutto and cook for 1 minute.

Add the tomatoes and crushed pepper and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the cream and cook, stirring well, for 1 minute. Add the vodka and cook for 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt.

Meanwhile, bring at least 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add the pasta and salt to taste. Cook stirring frequently until the penne is al dente, tender yet still firm to the bite. Drain the pasta, reserving some of the cooking water.

Add the pasta to the skillet with the sauce and toss the pasta until it is well coated. Add a little of the reserved cooking water if the sauce seems too thick. Add in the cheese and toss again. Serve immediately.

Notes:

· Serves 4 to 6

2011-03-29 7:46 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Dales race also brings up an interesting point. THINGS DON'T ALWAYS GO THE WAY YOU PLAN!!! It's not a QOTD, mainly because I want to see more recipe's still! But....how will you deal with it when the plan gets derailed?
2011-03-29 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3419303

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Meulen - 2011-03-29 8:46 AM Dales race also brings up an interesting point. THINGS DON'T ALWAYS GO THE WAY YOU PLAN!!! It's not a QOTD, mainly because I want to see more recipe's still! But....how will you deal with it when the plan gets derailed?

go with the flow, hopefully?  i remember last year at michael's race i watched someone's bike literally fall apart! needless to say, they were disqualified, but they were laughing hysterically. i remember thinking, what am amazing person. they've probably trained forever and so excited about race day and then their bike completely falls apart- what an incredible person for taking it all in stride. either that or they didn't want to cry hysterically so they started laughing about it. either way, i was impressed.

here's a recipe i made yesterday. i never really follow directions so i'm estimating the amounts. one of my favorite rip-off-indian dishes i made up.

a quarter cauliflower, cut up

a quarter of a yellow onion, chopped or a shallot, chopped

a cup of peas

a can of garbanzo beans

half a teaspoon of paprika

a tablespoon of yellow curry

two sweet potato or yams, cut small (microwave for 4 minutes prior to making)

a huge handful of chopped kale

1 cup of peanuts or pine nuts

a can or 1.5 cups of coconut milk

- sautee onion in olive oil until lightly brown in large skillet, throw in sweet potato and kale, cook for three minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients. cook until bubbling and then turn on low for about 10 minutes. put in the nuts last (like the last 2 minutes). so good! i love this dish.

2011-03-29 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3419387

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
libramom - 2011-03-29 8:29 AM

Meulen - 2011-03-29 8:46 AM Dales race also brings up an interesting point. THINGS DON'T ALWAYS GO THE WAY YOU PLAN!!! It's not a QOTD, mainly because I want to see more recipe's still! But....how will you deal with it when the plan gets derailed?

go with the flow, hopefully?  i remember last year at michael's race i watched someone's bike literally fall apart! needless to say, they were disqualified, but they were laughing hysterically. i remember thinking, what am amazing person. they've probably trained forever and so excited about race day and then their bike completely falls apart- what an incredible person for taking it all in stride. either that or they didn't want to cry hysterically so they started laughing about it. either way, i was impressed.

Alot of this stuff happens. If you ever get a chance and to be at a tri while not racing sit by the bike out. It's amazing how many chains fall off, tires are flat, or people just slip and fall.

Anne had someone get their pedal stuck in her wheel last year at Chicago. She had to stop them as they were yanking it to get it out! Both of us had our new bikes scuffed or scratched by people who throw their bikes back into transition into ours. People are rude, not much we can do about that. It really makes me mad when my stuff gets damaged. I've come back to transition one time too where someone hung their wetsuit in my bike slot!!

2011-03-29 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3419387

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

here's a recipe i made yesterday. i never really follow directions so i'm estimating the amounts. one of my favorite rip-off-indian dishes i made up.

a cup of peas

a can of garbanzo beans

- sautee onion in olive oil until lightly brown in large skillet, throw in sweet potato and kale, cook for three minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients. cook until bubbling and then turn on low for about 10 minutes. put in the nuts last (like the last 2 minutes). so good! i love this dish.

OMG I'm totally going to make this next week and add some chicken! I'll let you know how it goes. I love cooking by experiment too. I try to regularly mix in new recipes but I almost always modify them as I go.

2011-03-29 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3419602

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
QueerDrummer - 2011-03-29 10:04 AM

a cup of peas

a can of garbanzo beans

OMG I'm totally going to make this next week and add some chicken! I'll let you know how it goes. I love cooking by experiment too. I try to regularly mix in new recipes but I almost always modify them as I go.

I was out at cauliflower!! No offense.

did anyone try my Jambalaya recipe I posted a while back?
2011-03-29 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3419421

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
Meulen - 2011-03-29 8:43 AM

Alot of this stuff happens. If you ever get a chance and to be at a tri while not racing sit by the bike out. It's amazing how many chains fall off, tires are flat, or people just slip and fall. Anne had someone get their pedal stuck in her wheel last year at Chicago. She had to stop them as they were yanking it to get it out! Both of us had our new bikes scuffed or scratched by people who throw their bikes back into transition into ours. People are rude, not much we can do about that. It really makes me mad when my stuff gets damaged. I've come back to transition one time too where someone hung their wetsuit in my bike slot!!

My plan if something happens to keep me from finishing is to watch the rest of the race and then go home and sign up for another one! Hopefully I'll go home and sign up for another one regardless. I've been looking for other races close to me & timed right (I'm having surgery the end of July so it has to be before then) but haven't found anything ideal yet. At least I think my first race is pretty small. The cap is 200 - that's small, right?

2011-03-29 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3419610

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

"

I was out at cauliflower!! No offense. did anyone try my Jambalaya recipe I posted a while back?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, see we love cauliflower in any form, Brian, and we make curry type stuff pretty often, so this is great! But with this kind of recipe you can really substitute anything. You could use broccoli instead of cauliflower. Or chicken and just leave out the cauli...it would still be awesome.

Edited by QueerDrummer 2011-03-29 10:34 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 56