BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-06-06 8:12 PM
in reply to: #3534129

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED
suzielea - 2011-06-06 3:10 AM

Me - got in my first 1/2 hour run/walk session and ended up with 1.5 miles - a major improvement on my first walking workout, lol. I'm also thinking of upping my intervals for my next run as the ones I used tonight (used a sort of ladder approach) all went pretty well  

Added to this with 78 push ups, then another 127 just after midnight and I'll probably get in a hill walk before class and maybe some more push ups some time during the day.

2011-06-06 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3534326

Extreme Veteran
Twhittum - 2011-06-06 7:46 AM

Goodmorning! I had an absolute fabulous time yesterday. It was a perfect day for a race. I was one of the first ones there- I didn't want to be stuck in a line trying to get into the park.  The weather was perfect, not sure of the temp of the water but it had to be close to air temp.

The only problem I had was the ows. It wasn't with the swim but with my head. I had a slight headache from stress and anticpation, and when I hit the water I got the worse headache and almost gave up. I pushed myself and halfway through the headache started to go away.

Here are my stats swim 12:00 min. bike 46:31 run 35 min.  First transition 4 min second 2 min. Total time was 1 hr 41 mins.

Things I would/will change for my next race GET A NEW BIKE! All I heard was left on your left the whole 10 miles. I did get to say that a couple of times, but not enough. But I had a great time. I had trouble with my music and I love running with music but next time I don't think I would use my MP3, because my headphones got tangled and and I mess with it to get my music and not the radio.

I can't wait for the next race-I think I'm going to do the trek woman series in Aug. I'm sure that would be more competitive. I'm hoping to get a new bike before that.

I'm am now a triathlete!

Tracie

Thanks everyone for all the advice and encourgement!

Great work Tracie. I'm sure you'll rock your next one with the changes you plan to make.

2011-06-06 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3533925

User image

Master
Dunedin

Have you looked at any of the BT articles on OWS?  I wonder if there's any help there for you.

Mike_D - 2011-06-05 9:48 PM

Back from the weekend wedding trip to PA -- lots of fun, but a fitness disaster. Ate lots, worked out close to zero, and had a humiliating open water swim this AM which is making me question my ability to complete a race in a couple weeks.

the OWS -- was at my sister in laws in NJ today. There is a big lake near them, and is about as perfect a spot to do some OWS as there is anywhere. My brother in law & i went down and we started. Planned on a mile swim which I didn't have any issue with. However abotu 100 yards in, I had the old open water freak out, and bailed on the swim. Rather than just chill, pull it together, and go on, I wussed out. Pathetic. The worst part is, I felt *great* in the water. strong, easy stokes, moved well. then kaboom. WTH??!?!?!

Anyway, back on the bike tomorrow, run tomorrow, swim tuesday, etc.

2011-06-06 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3534129

User image

Master
Dunedin
suzielea - 2011-06-06 4:10 AM

Sara - I'm not doing the push up challenge properly just using it as some inspiration to drop and give some, lol. On ST can you give me any pointers on beginner ab workouts? And great work on the 100 mile hilly ride. I'm with Curt and Kate - I can't even imagine riding that far.

Me - got in my first 1/2 hour run/walk session and ended up with 1.5 miles - a major improvement on my first walking workout, lol. I'm also thinking of upping my intervals for my next run as the ones I used tonight (used a sort of ladder approach) all went pretty well  

1/2 hour run/walk is great!

For beginner ab workouts, I'd definitely do flutter kicking on my back and then rollover to my stomach and do the yoga "swimmer"- on your stomach, stretch your arms out in front and stretch your legs behind you.  Lift arms and legs off floor and 1) hold for 15+ seconds or press right arm down/left leg down alternate. =)  You'll definitely feel flutter kicking on your back! I keep my feet about 5 inches off the ground and put my hands under the small of my back.

2011-06-06 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3534326

User image

Master
Dunedin
Twhittum - 2011-06-06 8:46 AM

Goodmorning! I had an absolute fabulous time yesterday. It was a perfect day for a race. I was one of the first ones there- I didn't want to be stuck in a line trying to get into the park.  The weather was perfect, not sure of the temp of the water but it had to be close to air temp.

The only problem I had was the ows. It wasn't with the swim but with my head. I had a slight headache from stress and anticpation, and when I hit the water I got the worse headache and almost gave up. I pushed myself and halfway through the headache started to go away.

Here are my stats swim 12:00 min. bike 46:31 run 35 min.  First transition 4 min second 2 min. Total time was 1 hr 41 mins.

Things I would/will change for my next race GET A NEW BIKE! All I heard was left on your left the whole 10 miles. I did get to say that a couple of times, but not enough. But I had a great time. I had trouble with my music and I love running with music but next time I don't think I would use my MP3, because my headphones got tangled and and I mess with it to get my music and not the radio.

I can't wait for the next race-I think I'm going to do the trek woman series in Aug. I'm sure that would be more competitive. I'm hoping to get a new bike before that.

I'm am now a triathlete!

Tracie

Thanks everyone for all the advice and encourgement!

Congrats TRIATHLETE!

2011-06-07 7:10 AM
in reply to: #3534395

MP3s were only allowed on the run, really not sure why this race allowed them, but I love running with music, so I was happy.

BTW -- you were able to use an MP3 player during the race? This is usually a no-no (USAT rules

2011-06-07 7:10 AM
in reply to: #3534395

MP3s were only allowed on the run, really not sure why this race allowed them, but I love running with music, so I was happy.

BTW -- you were able to use an MP3 player during the race? This is usually a no-no (USAT rules

2011-06-07 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3536076

I'm not sure if this will be any help, but do you think you freaked out because there were no life guards in boats out. I know I felt alot better at the race because of the life guards and knowing that I could grab onto a boat if needed. Maybe if you have someone go with you in a boat or kayak it might help.

Back from the weekend wedding trip to PA -- lots of fun, but a fitness disaster. Ate lots, worked out close to zero, and had a humiliating open water swim this AM which is making me question my ability to complete a race in a couple weeks.

the OWS -- was at my sister in laws in NJ today. There is a big lake near them, and is about as perfect a spot to do some OWS as there is anywhere. My brother in law & i went down and we started. Planned on a mile swim which I didn't have any issue with. However abotu 100 yards in, I had the old open water freak out, and bailed on the swim. Rather than just chill, pull it together, and go on, I wussed out. Pathetic. The worst part is, I felt *great* in the water. strong, easy stokes, moved well. then kaboom. WTH??!?!?!

2011-06-07 7:23 AM
in reply to: #3536083

Extreme Veteran
WittyCityGirl - 2011-06-06 9:17 PM
suzielea - 2011-06-06 4:10 AM

Sara - I'm not doing the push up challenge properly just using it as some inspiration to drop and give some, lol. On ST can you give me any pointers on beginner ab workouts? And great work on the 100 mile hilly ride. I'm with Curt and Kate - I can't even imagine riding that far.

1/2 hour run/walk is great!

For beginner ab workouts, I'd definitely do flutter kicking on my back and then rollover to my stomach and do the yoga "swimmer"- on your stomach, stretch your arms out in front and stretch your legs behind you.  Lift arms and legs off floor and 1) hold for 15+ seconds or press right arm down/left leg down alternate. =)  You'll definitely feel flutter kicking on your back! I keep my feet about 5 inches off the ground and put my hands under the small of my back.

Thank you Sara. I'll try that.

2011-06-07 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Today's day one of trying to get in an AM workout.  Hit the pool with the goal of 10 x 50, 5 x 100, 3 x 200, 1 x 400.  Managed to do 10 x 50, 5 x 100 and 2 x 100 -- it's a start.  50's were around 1:10, 100's around 2:30, and held the 2:30 pace on the 200's -- although it was hard/was feeling it.  Was going off at 1:30, 3:00 and 5:30 so not too bad on the rest.  I'm definitely getting the feel of reaching out and staying long through the entire stroke.  I can also notice that the balance is improving / feel as if my back end is coming up a bit.  Next big challenge is to work on the catch / not "digging" on each stroke.

I'm hoping to put in an AM swim on Tu, Th and Sa, a PM run on the same days, and an AM bike on We, Fr, Su.  We'll see how it goes / next week will NOT work due to travel out of the country. 

A big thanks to both Mike and Sara on this topic -- both have been very encouraging/helpful on the need to schedule workouts.  Mike's idea on getting the "Be Iron Fit" book was a great one.  Even if you're not planning to do an ironman, the concepts in the book are very instructive.

2011-06-07 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Yesterday's Weigh In Monday....I gained .8 lbs. Oh well! My body was doing wacky things and holding on to things for the week Back at it for next weeks weigh in!

I did a local Splash & Dash last Thursday. It's a 1500K swim and a 5K run. It was a lot of fun. I missed when the announcer said that the swim was a 2 loop course and I swam to the dock after the 1st loop feeling pretty good. Ha! The guy there said to tell the announcer that I was only swimming 1 loop and I thought oh oh! So I turned around and swam another loop. T1 was slow. My hands were pretty cold from the water and I was fumbling. The run was good. A little slow. There were 2 big hills that even the fast boys were walking up. Overall it was a fun time. This is a series that they put on for the summer on both a weekday and a weekend. I'm going to try to do more of them just for the ows experience of swimming with a crowd.

Last weekend had some good workouts and this week I'm tapering for my Oly Sunday. The plan I'm following has this as a build week but I'm taking the taper week before my July HIM and using that. I'm always worried when I have to change the plan too much and hope I'm not losing too much fitness build. I'll need all I can get for July because that distance still has me worried.

I'm headed back to Arizona next Monday with my middle daughter to move the rest of her stuff home. She got a job here and she's going to live at home for a while to save some $$$. My oldest son is going down to SoCal in the fall to finish a class for graduation but somehow our house just stays full We had 1 year of being empty nesters but I think we won't see that again for a while!

Hope everyone has a great day,

Johanne

2011-06-07 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3536427

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Twhittum - 2011-06-07 7:18 AM

I'm not sure if this will be any help, but do you think you freaked out because there were no life guards in boats out. I know I felt alot better at the race because of the life guards and knowing that I could grab onto a boat if needed. Maybe if you have someone go with you in a boat or kayak it might help.

I was psyched out by the size of the lake & the distance, but none of it should have mattered. I can do a mile swim, I felt good, and quite frankly, there's no excuse other than just being a total wuss. I've read a bunch of OWS articles the past 2 days and they all say the same thing -- practice, and HTFU.  I'm still very bitterly disappointed in myself.
2011-06-07 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Don't be so hard on yourself Mike -- that's just going to make it worse!!!!  Have to admit that after doing the 400 yards in the sprint a couple of weeks back, I was spooked thinking about the OWS facing me in July.  I'm going to do a couple of things.  First, there's a pool/quarry here with deep water.  I'm going to use it multiple times.  Second, I'm going to swim laps w/o touching the ends or bottom.  If I can get these two done, confident I can pull off the OWS.

The other thing I'd offer is there's always the life guards!!!!!  I'd never recommend taking on an OWS if you aren't trained, but you are.  If something gets crazy out there, raise your hand and they'll come help you.  Hell, you can use 'em 7 or 8 times on a 500 yard swim and take 29 minutes to do so in the process.  Not that I would know ANYTHING about that!!!!

Now HTFU and get back in the lake!!!!! (in case you needed tough love, added this one for ya')

2011-06-07 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3536514

User image

Master
Dunedin
croixfan - 2011-06-07 9:03 AM

Today's day one of trying to get in an AM workout.  Hit the pool with the goal of 10 x 50, 5 x 100, 3 x 200, 1 x 400.  Managed to do 10 x 50, 5 x 100 and 2 x 100 -- it's a start.  50's were around 1:10, 100's around 2:30, and held the 2:30 pace on the 200's -- although it was hard/was feeling it.  Was going off at 1:30, 3:00 and 5:30 so not too bad on the rest.  I'm definitely getting the feel of reaching out and staying long through the entire stroke.  I can also notice that the balance is improving / feel as if my back end is coming up a bit.  Next big challenge is to work on the catch / not "digging" on each stroke.

I'm hoping to put in an AM swim on Tu, Th and Sa, a PM run on the same days, and an AM bike on We, Fr, Su.  We'll see how it goes / next week will NOT work due to travel out of the country. 

A big thanks to both Mike and Sara on this topic -- both have been very encouraging/helpful on the need to schedule workouts.  Mike's idea on getting the "Be Iron Fit" book was a great one.  Even if you're not planning to do an ironman, the concepts in the book are very instructive.

Hope it works out!  

Have I discussed "action plans" with the group yet?  

Write out your goal, WHAT one action you will take to reach that goal, HOW you will execute the action, WHEN you will execute the action, WHAT barriers you foresee and HOW you adapt because of those barriers.  Decide on an action that, on a scale of 0-10 (0= no confidence, 10=100% positive you can follow through) you are at least a confidence level of 7 you can complete it. 

Many people find it helpful to write out things, makes them more "real". Laughing

2011-06-07 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3536749

User image

Master
Dunedin
50andgettingfit - 2011-06-07 10:52 AM

Yesterday's Weigh In Monday....I gained .8 lbs. Oh well! My body was doing wacky things and holding on to things for the week Back at it for next weeks weigh in!

I did a local Splash & Dash last Thursday. It's a 1500K swim and a 5K run. It was a lot of fun. I missed when the announcer said that the swim was a 2 loop course and I swam to the dock after the 1st loop feeling pretty good. Ha! The guy there said to tell the announcer that I was only swimming 1 loop and I thought oh oh! So I turned around and swam another loop. T1 was slow. My hands were pretty cold from the water and I was fumbling. The run was good. A little slow. There were 2 big hills that even the fast boys were walking up. Overall it was a fun time. This is a series that they put on for the summer on both a weekday and a weekend. I'm going to try to do more of them just for the ows experience of swimming with a crowd.

Last weekend had some good workouts and this week I'm tapering for my Oly Sunday. The plan I'm following has this as a build week but I'm taking the taper week before my July HIM and using that. I'm always worried when I have to change the plan too much and hope I'm not losing too much fitness build. I'll need all I can get for July because that distance still has me worried.

I'm headed back to Arizona next Monday with my middle daughter to move the rest of her stuff home. She got a job here and she's going to live at home for a while to save some $$$. My oldest son is going down to SoCal in the fall to finish a class for graduation but somehow our house just stays full We had 1 year of being empty nesters but I think we won't see that again for a while!

Johanne

I like the idea of a splash and dash! I may bring this up to our tri club!

2011-06-07 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3537277

User image

Master
Dunedin

Mike_D - 2011-06-07 2:02 PM

I've read a bunch of OWS articles the past 2 days and they all say the same thing -- practice, and HTFU.  I'm still very bitterly disappointed in myself.

Ah, sometimes that may be the motivation you need to go ahead and suck it up, Buttercup. =) I offer my friends, and I'll offer the group, two different versions of Sara: the happy, peppy, "Go! Go! Go!" cheerleader version or the "Put on your big boy/big girl pants and toughen up!" version.  Mike, let me know if you need a pep talk either way!

2011-06-07 8:50 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Fun night of family running after dinner at our house. First up was my oldest daughter (13 going on 19) who will be doing her first tri in 2 1/2 weeks. She's the 'run' leg of a relay team. She's quite athletic, and I dragged her to the actual run course she'll be doing. Luckily the tri is in our town, so it was all of 2 minutes away. We ran the course in about 28 minutes. She wanted  to walk a couple short bits which we did. Overall she did great.

Next up was the 8 year old. We did a good 1 mile run/walk combo, and she had a blast. when she ran it was fast, but she also appreciated a good walk

2011-06-07 9:53 PM
in reply to: #3538003

User image

Expert
San Jose
WittyCityGirl - 2011-06-07 6:41 PM
50andgettingfit - 2011-06-07 10:52 AM

Johanne

I like the idea of a splash and dash! I may bring this up to our tri club!

http://www.thresholdracinginc.com/

This is the company that puts it on. It's nice because there were the really fast peeps and then there were the rest of us that were using the race for all sorts of different reasons.

2011-06-08 2:11 AM
in reply to: #3536514

Extreme Veteran

Curt - great work on the swim.

Johanne - I hope your mean 1500m or 1.5k rather than 1500k swim.  

Mike - can you remind me what HTFU means? please

Sara - I've done "action plans" as part of my disability training and made up a plan for myself last year but what's the deal with only choosing 1 action?

Me - Slowly catching up on my push ups, and will try the flutter kicking and yoga moves some time today but skipping my run today although I will definitely make it up tomorrow - I just didn't really feel it today.

2011-06-08 5:54 AM
in reply to: #3538257

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
suzielea - 2011-06-08 2:11 AM

Sara - I've done "action plans" as part of my disability training and made up a plan for myself last year but what's the deal with only choosing 1 action?

Me - Slowly catching up on my push ups, and will try the flutter kicking and yoga moves some time today but skipping my run today although I will definitely make it up tomorrow - I just didn't really feel it today.

HTFU = Harden the F*$& Up.

2011-06-08 7:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Got my backside out of bed for day 2 of the early AM program.  Had a nice ride and managed to make it to work about the same time, so the AM is already a success!

2011-06-08 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3538444

User image

Expert
San Jose

croixfan - 2011-06-08 5:49 AM Got my backside out of bed for day 2 of the early AM program.  Had a nice ride and managed to make it to work about the same time, so the AM is already a success!

...and that's always a good thing

2011-06-08 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3538300

Extreme Veteran
Mike_D - 2011-06-08 5:54 AM

Mike - thanks. I should of thought of that but I guess my webspeak isn't up to scratch yet, lol.

Curt - love the morning success.

Me - Finally caught up on my push ups with an extra 56 in the bank for today plus I did some flutter kicks and bicycles as ab work. I'm aiming to get in another run/walk plus more push ups/ab work and maybe a swim today too - it's currently 12:34 on the 9th so I'm posting about thursday workouts.

2011-06-08 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3538729

User image

Expert
San Jose
suzielea - 2011-06-08 7:35 AM
Mike_D - 2011-06-08 5:54 AM

Mike - thanks. I should of thought of that but I guess my webspeak isn't up to scratch yet, lol.

Curt - love the morning success.

Me - Finally caught up on my push ups with an extra 56 in the bank for today plus I did some flutter kicks and bicycles as ab work. I'm aiming to get in another run/walk plus more push ups/ab work and maybe a swim today too - it's currently 12:34 on the 9th so I'm posting about thursday workouts.

Suzie, good for you pushing forward! 

I was placing an order over the phone yesterday and I had to tell the guy a coupon code for a discount. Part of the code had an F in it and he couldn't understand me so he asked me for the letters in words and being put on the spot, I was having a heck of a time thinking of an appropriate F word! I think I was his amusement for the day.

2011-06-08 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3538017

User image

Master
Dunedin
Mike_D - 2011-06-07 9:50 PM

Fun night of family running after dinner at our house. First up was my oldest daughter (13 going on 19) who will be doing her first tri in 2 1/2 weeks. She's the 'run' leg of a relay team. She's quite athletic, and I dragged her to the actual run course she'll be doing. Luckily the tri is in our town, so it was all of 2 minutes away. We ran the course in about 28 minutes. She wanted  to walk a couple short bits which we did. Overall she did great.

Next up was the 8 year old. We did a good 1 mile run/walk combo, and she had a blast. when she ran it was fast, but she also appreciated a good walk

Love that you were able to enjoy some quality time with the family.  You're a great role model for showing your girls that being active is fun!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72