of 84

2011-06-26 10:40 PM
in reply to: #3568386

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Update
jdiis - 2011-06-26 10:30 PM

Keep talking everyone.  I'm lurking while I'm moving to Austin and in PA for a wedding.

I have still been training, but I've had to modify the schedule a little.  Found a condo to buy and having Lasik next week.  That will keep me out of the water for 2 weeks, so not doing Disco guys.  Sorry.

Did intervals on a track this morning (65 degrees out, yay).  After the third one, I started to feel tenderness in my right hamstring muscle group, whichever of the three muscles in the middle.  So I bailed out of the intervals.  Currently icing and elevating and am a little stiff.  Plan not to do any more running until I get back home Thursday.  Will probably swim as soon as I can to help the recovery.  Any other suggestions anyone?

Did you warm up before you started the intervals Jackie?

2011-06-26 10:49 PM
in reply to: #3568394

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Update

evillarroel - 2011-06-26 10:40 PM

Did you warm up before you started the intervals Jackie?

Yes, coach.  I'm thinking that since it was a little cooler, perhaps my warmup should have been longer than normal.  As soon as the Garmin cooperates, I'll be uploading the workout.

2011-06-26 11:34 PM
in reply to: #3568303

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
evillarroel - 2011-06-26 10:32 PM
ironbaby - 2011-06-26 8:55 PM

Congrats Barry! How does it feel to have done a tri? Share your experiences about the transition phases. I am pretty sure there is going to be a lot of mistakes there in my first tri. 

Ernesto, any swimming tips for beginners? Is the speed coming from pull or kick? I had session with a local coach for swim lesson (she has coached BT'ers for their OWS segment) and she suggested keeping kicks to minimum so as to conserve energy in the legs. 

True and not true, it depends. Kicking makes for about 15 to 30% of propulsion, if you tell a swimmer not to kick they will drown you, triathletes need to kick but you have to do it maybe with a little less cadence than a swimmer. They do a three beat kick and we should do a two beat flutter kick. If you don't kick at all your legs will partially sink causing a lot of drag, so it will hurt you big time.

Like I have said before many times: best way to get good in the water is... swimming. Don't neglect it, get some coaching at the beginning and put yards, yards, yards.

Yes, the coach-lady made me do half lap without kicks and it the drag/drown was evident. 

Two beat flutter kick...  two kicks per pull? Sorry I don't know what that means. 

OTOH, I think my HRM is crazy. Last couple of workouts were executed hard and the chart shows higher HR during the workout but the average is surprisingly near MAF. I don't know how/why that is happening?

2011-06-27 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3568438

User image

Master
Dallas
ironbaby - 2011-06-26 11:34 PM

Congrats Barry! How does it feel to have done a tri? Share your experiences about the transition phases. I am pretty sure there is going to be a lot of mistakes there in my first tri. 

Ernesto, any swimming tips for beginners? Is the speed coming from pull or kick? I had session with a local coach for swim lesson (she has coached BT'ers for their OWS segment) and she suggested keeping kicks to minimum so as to conserve energy in the legs. 

True and not true, it depends. Kicking makes for about 15 to 30% of propulsion, if you tell a swimmer not to kick they will drown you, triathletes need to kick but you have to do it maybe with a little less cadence than a swimmer. They do a three beat kick and we should do a two beat flutter kick. If you don't kick at all your legs will partially sink causing a lot of drag, so it will hurt you big time.

Like I have said before many times: best way to get good in the water is... swimming. Don't neglect it, get some coaching at the beginning and put yards, yards, yards.

Yes, the coach-lady made me do half lap without kicks and it the drag/drown was evident. 

Two beat flutter kick...  two kicks per pull? Sorry I don't know what that means. 

OTOH, I think my HRM is crazy. Last couple of workouts were executed hard and the chart shows higher HR during the workout but the average is surprisingly near MAF. I don't know how/why that is happening?

Take a look at a video that Total Immersion posted right here in this website, it is by far the best I've seen for open water. No idea about your HRM.
2011-06-27 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3568438

User image

Master
Dallas
ironbaby - 2011-06-26 11:34 PM

Take a look at a video that Total Immersion posted right here in this website, it is by far the best I've seen for open water. No idea about your HRM.
2011-06-27 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Way to go Barry!  Doesn't it feel good to have completed one?  Enjoy that victory!  Are you hooked?  If you're already thinking about the next one, that's a pretty good indicator you are. 

2011-06-27 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3567839

User image

Houston, Texas
baurryman - 2011-06-26 1:56 PM

Hi Ernesto & Gang,

So, I'm officially a triathlete now. I completed the Bigfoot triathlon this morning in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. I don't have an official time yet but I know it was under 2 hours. The overall clock read 1:56:30 as I finished. The 750m swim was actually the easiest part as the bike and the run were quite hilly. I averaged about 15.2 mph on the bike and about 11:40 miles in the run. Transitions were good except the swim to bike where my eyeglass lens decided to pop out and wouldn't go back in. I finished the race in my prescription goggles. Race report to come when I find out what actually happened.

Congratulations!  Don't worry about the time, you are a finisher now.  You'll have a long time to refine your techniques and improve.  Enjoy the accomplishment for what it truly is!

-Mike

2011-06-27 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3568265

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Congrats Barry! How does it feel to have done a tri? Share your experiences about the transition phases. I am pretty sure there is going to be a lot of mistakes there in my first tri

Thanks Aki.  The transition for this race has a reputation for being really well organized and it was. The bike rack slot was numbered with my race number which helped a lot. The swim exit was only about 150 yards from the transition but what helped me a lot were the "transition" videos here on BT which I must have viewed about 10 times before the race.

Gabriel Thanks, I was probably already addicted. I've been following the ITU circuit for quite a while now.

Carol Thanks. I'm already registered for the Chicago Tri (Olympic) at the end of August. I'm sure I'll do another sprint in July but haven't chosen one yet.

Mike Thanks. I had fun and will definitely take that time.

Ernesto When you have a chance would you give me some feedback from my training log. I've posted the garmin links now and I'm interested in what you can see in regard to effort for different portions of the race?

2011-06-27 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3569618

User image

Master
Dallas
baurryman - 2011-06-27 2:33 PM

Congrats Barry! How does it feel to have done a tri? Share your experiences about the transition phases. I am pretty sure there is going to be a lot of mistakes there in my first tri

Thanks Aki.  The transition for this race has a reputation for being really well organized and it was. The bike rack slot was numbered with my race number which helped a lot. The swim exit was only about 150 yards from the transition but what helped me a lot were the "transition" videos here on BT which I must have viewed about 10 times before the race.

Gabriel Thanks, I was probably already addicted. I've been following the ITU circuit for quite a while now.

Carol Thanks. I'm already registered for the Chicago Tri (Olympic) at the end of August. I'm sure I'll do another sprint in July but haven't chosen one yet.

Mike Thanks. I had fun and will definitely take that time.

Ernesto When you have a chance would you give me some feedback from my training log. I've posted the garmin links now and I'm interested in what you can see in regard to effort for different portions of the race?

From what I can tell, it was well executed. It correlates to your current level of fitness and it's not a bad time at all. One thing I noticed is that sharp climb on the bike very close to the transition area, it elevated your HR quite a bit and your cadence slowed to the 70s which is a clear indication of a hard effort. Not much you could have done about it, it is just a particularity of the course.

Maybe next race you should run out of t2 a bit slower and let your HR come down a bit before hitting mile 2, your body loosens up on its own.

Another thing I've noticed is that you need to practice more bike-run transitions, they do not need to be long like the ones you did this month, just go out for a slow one mile jog after your rides at least once a week, preferrably two.

Expand your aerobic base and increase your mileage before the Oly.

It was a good race, be proud!

Edited by evillarroel 2011-06-27 3:44 PM
2011-06-27 3:53 PM

User image

Master

Barry - congrats on your race!  AWESOME!

Group:

Some questions and observations.

(1) What is everyone using for training/racing nutrition?  I have consistently used GU energy gels over the last couple years and like the flavors and my stomach tolerates them well.  I have sometimes used gatorade in my water bottles but find it too sweet at times.  I am experimenting with GU's Electrolyte tablets (you dissolve them in your water).  I am also experimenting with GU's Recovery Brew.  I tried it for the first time yesterday after a run in the midday heat and I felt better than I expected I would later in the evening.  I'd love any input or thoughts from the group on your own best practices when it comes to energy, electrolytes and recovery drinks.

(2) Arms/hands position when running.  I experimented yesterday with lowering my hands while running.  It felt easy when I relaxed my arms a bit and allowed my hands to drop lower.  My wife shot a video of me running recently when she passed me in her car (my daughter did the actual filimg - wife was driving) but I haven't had the guts to watch it yet....I fear that I may see myself and come to the sickening realization that I look silly when I run...I am sure I am fine but would be mortified if it turns out that I have some goofy gait or hand/arm motion.  Any thoughts on hands/arms while running is also appreciated.

Edited by dangremond 2011-06-27 3:55 PM
2011-06-27 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3569770

User image

Maple Grove, MN
dangremond - 2011-06-27 3:53 PM

Barry - congrats on your race!  AWESOME!

Group:

Some questions and observations.

(2) Arms/hands position when running.  I experimented yesterday with lowering my hands while running.  It felt easy when I relaxed my arms a bit and allowed my hands to drop lower.  My wife shot a video of me running recently when she passed me in her car (my daughter did the actual filimg - wife was driving) but I haven't had the guts to watch it yet....I fear that I may see myself and come to the sickening realization that I look silly when I run...I am sure I am fine but would be mortified if it turns out that I have some goofy gait or hand/arm motion.  Any thoughts on hands/arms while running is also appreciated.

Barry: You are a triathlete! Congrats. 

Mitch:

Don't worry how you look.   My wife says I look like a duck when I run!  

I do think there is a lot to be gained from fooling around with running form and seeing what works.  I have no idea if this is generally recommended, but to protect my joints, I adopted a very pitter-pattery manner of running.  The feet never get very far in front of me, never get very far off the ground, and I have a relatively high cadence.   As for the arms and hands, I believe my hands are about belly button high and do not have exaggerated movements.  It does seem to me that a lot of runners waste energy flailing their arms.  Some flail their entire bodies!  

2011-06-27 6:20 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Mitch,

I second Chris' comments regarding form, a short stride at high cadence is more economic than big strides at lower cadence (of course all the same pace). I purchased a clip on metronome on eBay that beeps at whatever frequency I want (I keep it at 93SPM) and as a rule of thumb, never let the foot fall further than two inches past your body.

Arm position should be loose, relaxed and never have an excessive swing, except when you bring the arms close to the upper body for climbing hills. The arms are the counterweights for the legs therefore if you're descending your arms should go down, if you're ascending they should come close to the body and swing strong.

2011-06-27 9:12 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Some nice inspirational short videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo-nbnw8zSI

http://www.youtube.com/user/itutriathlon#p/u/0/yl-MI0b8Wxg

http://www.youtube.com/user/IronmanTriathlon#p/c/12431359D3D527B7/11/Bh1yMnrby3w

http://www.youtube.com/user/IronmanTriathlon#p/c/12431359D3D527B7/8/zOVGVMiwPSA
2011-06-28 8:22 AM

User image

Master

Had a nice 2.5 mile run this morning.  Kept around target pace of 9:30 and corresponding HR was the best I've seen it since trying to focus on running at easier paces.  It will be interesting to watch as my body acclimates and the HR continues to decrease at my pace goal.

2011-06-28 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3570628

El Paso

Good morning Ernesto,

Today I had a 2.5 mile run, the HR was around 148, time 23 min, I didnt charge my garmin thats why I dont have the actual result. later in the afternoon I plan to do a 10 mile ride in the GYM, temperature here is 108 degrees, so for now I think that indoor rides are the best options.

After the run I always had a peanut butter sandwich, Is this a good carb protein recovery food?

2011-06-28 7:25 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Hey all. 2.5 weeks into my 3 week Maffetone cure to overtraining. Three more runs at no more than 132 bpm. Seems like two steps forward, one step back. That is, progress. Saturday was the worst. I ran 8 12 minute miles along the Bund in Shanghai. Pretty and interesting (lots of old Chinese doing tai chi, flying kites, exercising with fans or swords) at 6am. But it was hot and seemed like 100% humidity, so I had to crawl to keep the heart rate down. But this morning (I got back Sunday night) was a new aerobic pr. Six miles averaging 9:21 at under 132. Amid the noise, there is a trend, and it's good.

2011-06-28 9:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Barry...  WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!  

Sorry I have been MIA the past few days.  The kids last day of school was Friday and then took them to Six Flags Saturday.  On top of that they headed back to South Carolina for a month this morning and I have been sulking ever since....  I'm good now and planning on going for a run in the morning.  The movers come next Tuesday and although I don't have to pack what is moving, I have to pack what is staying with me the last few days I'm here.  Hope all is going well for everyone...  I am looking forward to my run tomorrow!

2011-06-28 10:23 PM
in reply to: #3570763

User image

Master
Dallas
alfredo1414 - 2011-06-28 9:21 AM

Good morning Ernesto,

Today I had a 2.5 mile run, the HR was around 148, time 23 min, I didnt charge my garmin thats why I dont have the actual result. later in the afternoon I plan to do a 10 mile ride in the GYM, temperature here is 108 degrees, so for now I think that indoor rides are the best options.

After the run I always had a peanut butter sandwich, Is this a good carb protein recovery food?

Peanut butter is the fave of many pro triathletes, but watch the amount, it can make you plump.
2011-06-28 10:30 PM
in reply to: #3571932

User image

Master
Dallas

older2533 - 2011-06-28 7:25 PM Hey all. 2.5 weeks into my 3 week Maffetone cure to overtraining. Three more runs at no more than 132 bpm. Seems like two steps forward, one step back. That is, progress. Saturday was the worst. I ran 8 12 minute miles along the Bund in Shanghai. Pretty and interesting (lots of old Chinese doing tai chi, flying kites, exercising with fans or swords) at 6am. But it was hot and seemed like 100% humidity, so I had to crawl to keep the heart rate down. But this morning (I got back Sunday night) was a new aerobic pr. Six miles averaging 9:21 at under 132. Amid the noise, there is a trend, and it's good.
Yeap! I already noticed that, been looking at your log. Now to get faster (at aerobic speed) find a gentle downhill (about 70/100ft per mile) that is at least 3 miles long and go for it.

One thing I have noticed is that you're shooting for MAF early during the first mile. Not really the best way, you should warm up gently and bring your HR up to MAF at the end of mile one or two. Try it a couple of times and then tell me. You'll notice a big change. I'm glad you're seeing results, it takes a lot of patience but the return on investment is GREAT in the long term.

Also, don't blame your slow pace only on the heat and humidity, jet lag has a tremendous effect on endurance training and I heard China's air is like breathing inside a trash bag.

Edited by evillarroel 2011-06-28 10:33 PM
2011-06-28 10:38 PM
in reply to: #3572027

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-06-28 9:06 PM

Barry...  WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!  

Sorry I have been MIA the past few days.  The kids last day of school was Friday and then took them to Six Flags Saturday.  On top of that they headed back to South Carolina for a month this morning and I have been sulking ever since....  I'm good now and planning on going for a run in the morning.  The movers come next Tuesday and although I don't have to pack what is moving, I have to pack what is staying with me the last few days I'm here.  Hope all is going well for everyone...  I am looking forward to my run tomorrow!

Jen,

Good luck on your run. Stay active!

2011-06-28 10:46 PM
in reply to: #3572125

User image

Maple Grove, MN
evillarroel - 2011-06-28 10:30 PM

older2533 - 2011-06-28 7:25 PM Hey all. 2.5 weeks into my 3 week Maffetone cure to overtraining. Three more runs at no more than 132 bpm. Seems like two steps forward, one step back. That is, progress. Saturday was the worst. I ran 8 12 minute miles along the Bund in Shanghai. Pretty and interesting (lots of old Chinese doing tai chi, flying kites, exercising with fans or swords) at 6am. But it was hot and seemed like 100% humidity, so I had to crawl to keep the heart rate down. But this morning (I got back Sunday night) was a new aerobic pr. Six miles averaging 9:21 at under 132. Amid the noise, there is a trend, and it's good.
Yeap! I already noticed that, been looking at your log. Now to get faster (at aerobic speed) find a gentle downhill (about 70/100ft per mile) that is at least 3 miles long and go for it.

One thing I have noticed is that you're shooting for MAF early during the first mile. Not really the best way, you should warm up gently and bring your HR up to MAF at the end of mile one or two. Try it a couple of times and then tell me. You'll notice a big change. I'm glad you're seeing results, it takes a lot of patience but the return on investment is GREAT in the long term.

Will do.

evillarroel - 2011-06-28 10:30 PM

Also, don't blame your slow pace only on the heat and humidity, jet lag has a tremendous effect on endurance training and I heard China's air is like breathing inside a trash bag.

Jet lag was brutal (13 hour time difference is about the worst it can be) but pollution didn't seem that bad. It's Beijing that is supposedly awful.  So I'll blame it on heat, humidity, and jet lag. 

Oh, and the ridiculous amounts of rich, fatty Chinese food I was eating (let's just say it's a good thing my hotel had a western sit down toilet) and that I was up late drinking Tsing-Tao after Tsing-Tao after Tsing-Tao probably didn't help either. 

2011-06-29 7:52 AM

User image

Master
I had a good 5 mile run this morning - stuck to my 9:30 pace and felt good.  HR is starting to stabilize and come lower.  I'll admit that the cool dryer weather surely impacted the Hr but was nice to see regardless.  What I'm most excited about is working towards my goal of running consistently 5 to 6 days per week.  With that and the volume that I should be able to achieve by lowering my intensity I hope to see big gains by the fall. 
2011-06-29 2:17 PM

User image

Houston, Texas

As long as we're reporting progress, here's mine:  I've taken your advice, Ernesto and am working on a more even pace.  If I hear the HR alert I can usually just slow a bit to bring myself down now rather than having to walk.  And there were times this morning when I glanced at the rate to find I was only at 132 and needed to pick up the pace a bit.  That's a morale booster!

My wife and kids leave next week to go to her mom's for July, and then in August I will be working out of town for pretty much the whole month (nothing exotic like China, just Lakeland Florida - woo hoo).  Looking on the bright side, this will allow me to change up my workout and add some evening time.  In July I plan on going to add morning runs in place of the stationary bike at the gym.  I will add some evening training on the actual bike which has been sitting dormant for a few weeks now.  When I'm out of town I'll have to ditch the real bike but I may shift the running to the evenings there.  Not sure yet.

Opinions welcome on what I should add, but I still mostly want to focus on running.

Hope all are well.  Any races coming up?

-Mike

2011-06-29 3:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Great to see everyone having such great progress on their running.  I went back at it today.  MAF is 142 and I averaged 143...much higher than I had been running because that was at a 14+ minute pace.  I am committed to doing this.  I walked the hills to the beach and than started timing once there so there is no record of that.  

Here is a quick view of the run..  Definitely back at the beginning.....  I am wondering if the that planes that are always taking off, are causing my heart rate to be high.  I am right next to LAX.  every plane that leaves goes over the ocean and that means over me...

2011-07-01 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3570203

User image

Regular
evillarroel - 2011-06-27 10:12 PM

Some nice inspirational short videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo-nbnw8zSI

Whoa! Look at that dude fly! Amazing how these guys can push themselves so hard even in the very last bit of such a long race. 

IRONWAR!! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84