BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-02-25 7:35 PM
in reply to: #4066126

Rochester
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
oriolepwr - 2012-02-25 2:21 PM

I'm ok.      

Just a reminder, that stuff can happen at ANY time.  you just don't know.   

When you say you are ok, we are speaking physically and not mentally, correct? LOL

2012-02-25 7:36 PM
in reply to: #4066167

Rochester
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
oriolepwr - 2012-02-25 3:11 PM If you have not seen this before, you may need a tissue!

Dick and Rick Hoyt

This is always an uplifting story.

2012-02-25 8:47 PM
in reply to: #4066444

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
peterflagg - 2012-02-25 7:35 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-02-25 2:21 PM

I'm ok.      

When you say you are ok, we are speaking physically and not mentally, correct? LOL

Ha!  Yes indeed.   Physically fine.   Mentally I'm  effing cRaZy!!! 

2012-02-26 7:21 AM
in reply to: #4066167

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-02-25 3:11 PMIf you have not seen this before, you may need a tissue!

Dick and Rick Hoyt

Wow thanks for the Sunday morning tear jerker! That is seriously amazing, please remind me of them when I'm whining about how hard my three mile run was!
2012-02-26 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3942395

User image

Veteran
Anyone ever organized a fun run? Im thinking of trying to organize a kids marathon event where they log 25.2 miles over the course of a couple months and run the final 1 on race day, but I don't really know where to start.
2012-02-26 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4065173

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
TLakatos1259 - 2012-02-24 3:27 PM
Ybeal - 2012-02-24 1:36 PM

I'm going with "MAY THE LEGS BE WITH YOU"!

Managed to run for 2miles straight (on a treadmill) without stopping on Tuesday.  Stretched really good before and after and my legs felt okay the next day, miracle.  Of course they're sore now but that's from yesterday's swim and bike

Run scheduled for tomorrow...hoping for the best, last saturday was not so good, so I'm due for some success

I wish I could have biked today, it's 76 degrees here in NC! Not bad for February!

Yvonne,  Nice work out.   I remember taking a stress test and it seems the treadmill is easier, is that true?  I know cycling indoors is easier than outdoors, aside from the butt pain. 

I can't wait until I can run the 2 mile loop straight.

OMG, I think riding the trainer is way harder...mentally...I did 90 minutes yesterday! TORTURE. Treadmill, hmm, I think you do get a bump from the moving belt as opposed to the friction of running outside, but for most of us it's probably too small of a difference to matter...

May the legs be with you, haha, you crack me up...

2012-02-26 10:02 AM
in reply to: #4066126

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-02-25 1:21 PM

Oh man scary moment this Am.    drive way was all icy   I was scraping the ice off my Jeeps windows  came around and slipped and landed HARD on my back and right arm elbow area.   Head even hit the ground.  (no I was not wearing a helmet ha!)      It was such a hard landing  that I just stayed still for a few seconds as I thought it was possible I did real damage.   Like broke my elbow or something.     But lucky it seems like other than some bruises which will surely form,  I'm ok.      

OMG, glad you're ok...I did the same thing a couple of years ago...funny how you lay there after falling...sort of doing a systems check...am I ok???

2012-02-26 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4066137

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-02-25 1:35 PM
quincyf - 2012-02-22 8:29 AM

Seriously, it feels like someone stuck a caulk gun up my nose and pulled the trigger! I did get a workout in yesterday and I DID feel better! Got your PM on the race situation...we need to get you guys down here for a visit, or us up there so we can figure everything out...

I say let's do Bigfoot and stay at a fun water park place for the kids...

I was shocked Door County sold out, is that the norm? Should we register for Racine? It didn't even sell out last year...and I was waiting to see what my shoulder does, but I don't want to miss it either...ugh????

Bigfoot works for me!  and  Timber Ridge Resort   is a great place for the kids.     We can chat about it at your house, Sham shuffle time!  That's coming up fast!  

Ya bummed Door closed so quick as well.   It does seem that lots of events are filling up super duper quick this year.  Its crazy!!     I think there is still plenty of time to register for Racine.  Probably till April anyhow   So you can wait.....  I think?     I'd be nervous about it too.    

Chris is going to sign up for Bigfoot and Racine, maybe today, I am going to wait and take my chances. If I don't race, maybe I'll volunteer. Or maybe Eileen and I will just work on perfecting our Bloody Mary recipes...I'm trying to have a good attitude about all of this, because there is no other option. Wink

Also I have decided that I am going to race every TT in the Midwest...I just need to figure out a bike training plan for TTs...any thoughts? 

And yes, to your question, somewhere on this page I think, this is the same surgeon who has given me moving targets on all of my dates...rehab, return to swimming, etc. I don't consider myself particularly intimidating, but apparently I am weird enough to spook him. Ultimately it is my own responsibility to behave like an adult (agh) and make choices accordingly. I do have a buddy from school who is an ortho who I am going to check with and also I might hit up BTer, Socks, who is also an ortho. Just for sanity checking...

In Mr. OrthoDoctor's defense, the damage to my shoulder was extremely unusual so even for a guy who has done thousands of these surgeries (he's known as a good 'shoulder' guy) he doesn't have a lot to go on in my case. Also, he claimed to be SHOCKED, SHOCKED that I am 42...that I looked much younger. I think he realized he was treading on very thin ice telling me what I shouldn't be doing and tried to distract me with vanity. It worked, but I'm onto his sneaky little game. 

So there, are you guys amused with my psy-ops campaign against my doctor...he probably drinks heavily after appointments with me. Poor guy.

Can't wait for the Shuffle weekend, we are all up in a tizzy about seeing you guys!!!

2012-02-26 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4066130

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-02-25 1:24 PM
trei - 2012-02-24 8:01 AM

Hi all,

I thought of a couple other swimming related questions:  first, are earplugs allowed? and second is there anything that can prevent or quickly overcome foot cramps during the swim.  I seem to get foot cramps just shy of a mile.  I stop stretch my foot and proceed onward, but thats probably not practical during an actual event. 

I'm off of training until next week Wednesday now...vacation.  I'm hoping that snowshoeing and downhill skiing count as recovery!

Get well people!Smile

Enjoy your vacation!!   Ear plugs are allowed  no issue there.  Cramps?  I used to get foot cramps like that as well.   I'm sure there is something you can do, not sure what it is, so I'll leave that to the expert.      I stopped having them, but this was over a long period of swimming.  What I mean is the more my swim fitness grew, the less foot cramps I had over time.    So probably this will be one of those things that will slowly stop happening. 

Not only are ear plugs allowed, I wear them religiously in the pool and in open water...I llike the silicone ones that you smoosh in your ear...you can get them at the pharmacy/drug store. I use half of an adult size or the child sized ones which are bright orange, but I have tiny little elf ears. Anyhoo, it keeps nasty lake water from sitting in your ears (I'm prone to ear infections and I always get that annoying water in my ear, especially if I'm in the pool 'cause I do flip turns). It also helps me a LOT with dizziness...some people actually get sick from swimming in swells or even choppy water, and even in smooth water, the transition from horizontal to vertical (swim to transition to bike) makes me woozy. Earplugs help me a LOT!!!

I get a foot cramp while swimming but only when I really point my toes hard. Since we are trying for flexible ankles to allow our feet to be more like flippers, the cramp merely reminds me to relax my ankles and get more of a paddle effect out of my feet. Maybe this will help you??? Let me know.

To be clear, maybe try not to point your toes so hard...report back if it helps or not...

2012-02-26 10:29 AM
in reply to: #4066725

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Ybeal - 2012-02-26 7:24 AM Anyone ever organized a fun run? Im thinking of trying to organize a kids marathon event where they log 25.2 miles over the course of a couple months and run the final 1 on race day, but I don't really know where to start.

What a great idea, I love it. Who are the kids you are targeting? I am trying to organize a bunch of kids from Katherine's second grade class to run a 5K with her and I (the pre-eclampsia foundation 'promise walk and 5k). Katherine and I are actually doing a little training plan together and I think we are going to invite the class to do a run after school, maybe once a week???

If any locals are interested, I can post the link to the 5k...it was really fun last year and I am encouraged by the participation from her class this year...we actually have a fund raising team!!!

But, back to your question, could you set up a facebook page where everyone could post their progress? Definitely have a pizza or ice cream party at the end, maybe some t-shirts or medals or something? Emails or notes once a week to encourage participation? Let us know, what a fun project. I might steal that idea for our school next year...

2012-02-26 11:58 AM
in reply to: #4066724

User image

Veteran
Ybeal - 2012-02-26 8:21 AM
oriolepwr - 2012-02-25 3:11 PMIf you have not seen this before, you may need a tissue!

Dick and Rick Hoyt

Wow thanks for the Sunday morning tear jerker! That is seriously amazing, please remind me of them when I'm whining about how hard my three mile run was!

OK, I'm crying. 

2012-02-26 10:48 PM

Rochester

Well, to make sure that I keep my movement going, I signed up for a splint tri on May 6th. A fun run on April 6th and then a duathlon on April 28th. Also start some swim lessons tomorrow, along with a triathlon training on saturdays at my local YMCA. Really looking forward to it. I had something else to say but I am having a brain fart right now.

2012-02-27 11:20 AM
in reply to: #4066881

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-02-26 10:16 AM
oriolepwr - 2012-02-25 1:35 PM
quincyf - 2012-02-22 8:29 AM

Seriously, it feels like someone stuck a caulk gun up my nose and pulled the trigger! I did get a workout in yesterday and I DID feel better! Got your PM on the race situation...we need to get you guys down here for a visit, or us up there so we can figure everything out...

I say let's do Bigfoot and stay at a fun water park place for the kids...

I was shocked Door County sold out, is that the norm? Should we register for Racine? It didn't even sell out last year...and I was waiting to see what my shoulder does, but I don't want to miss it either...ugh????

Bigfoot works for me!  and  Timber Ridge Resort   is a great place for the kids.     We can chat about it at your house, Sham shuffle time!  That's coming up fast!  

Ya bummed Door closed so quick as well.   It does seem that lots of events are filling up super duper quick this year.  Its crazy!!     I think there is still plenty of time to register for Racine.  Probably till April anyhow   So you can wait.....  I think?     I'd be nervous about it too.    

Chris is going to sign up for Bigfoot and Racine, maybe today, I am going to wait and take my chances. If I don't race, maybe I'll volunteer. Or maybe Eileen and I will just work on perfecting our Bloody Mary recipes...I'm trying to have a good attitude about all of this, because there is no other option. Wink

I'll go ahead and sign up for BF today.   Sux that you have to wait and see if you can race or not.     Me and Chris are in the same age group this year I think.    That will be fun.     Interesting aid station that will be with bloody mary's    

The kids are going to have a blast with the water park and all.

Also I have decided that I am going to race every TT in the Midwest...I just need to figure out a bike training plan for TTs...any thoughts? 

I think TT training is pretty similar training wise/concepts as is training on the bike for Tri.  The big diff is of course that in Tri, you need to save energy for the run.   TT  you want to finish with zero left.    So you want to raise your lactose threshold, as you will want to race pretty close to that line.  So I'd be looking at a LT training program.    Is there any issues with the shoulder when you go hard on the trainer?     I know you are cleared to ride, but he probably has a diff idea about bike riding then you do.        

And yes, to your question, somewhere on this page I think, this is the same surgeon who has given me moving targets on all of my dates...rehab, return to swimming, etc. I don't consider myself particularly intimidating, but apparently I am weird enough to spook him. Ultimately it is my own responsibility to behave like an adult (agh) and make choices accordingly. I do have a buddy from school who is an ortho who I am going to check with and also I might hit up BTer, Socks, who is also an ortho. Just for sanity checking...

Good idea.  frustrating on the moving targets though. 

In Mr. OrthoDoctor's defense, the damage to my shoulder was extremely unusual so even for a guy who has done thousands of these surgeries (he's known as a good 'shoulder' guy) he doesn't have a lot to go on in my case. Also, he claimed to be SHOCKED, SHOCKED that I am 42...that I looked much younger. I think he realized he was treading on very thin ice telling me what I shouldn't be doing and tried to distract me with vanity. It worked, but I'm onto his sneaky little game. 

You do look much younger!  so does Chris.     Funny story (for you two, not me really)    After that weekend when your family was over,  I went to spin.    This woman who is in the class said  "Saw you at Fatman's with your wife!"   your grandson looks just like you."   Um Grandson?  what do you mean?   "Wasn't that your son, sitting next to you, with his wife?"   WHAT!!!  WHAT!!!   um NO!   They are friends of ours.   And we are not related.  That's their son.    Not my Grandson!    Please I'm not ready to be called Gramps just yet. 

So there, are you guys amused with my psy-ops campaign against my doctor...he probably drinks heavily after appointments with me. Poor guy.

Can't wait for the Shuffle weekend, we are all up in a tizzy about seeing you guys!!!

We're looking forward to it too!   (only dreading the look Chris will give me re:  me not practicing guitar)

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-02-27 11:55 AM
2012-02-27 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4067743

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
peterflagg - 2012-02-26 10:48 PM

Well, to make sure that I keep my movement going, I signed up for a splint tri on May 6th. A fun run on April 6th and then a duathlon on April 28th. Also start some swim lessons tomorrow, along with a triathlon training on saturdays at my local YMCA. Really looking forward to it. I had something else to say but I am having a brain fart right now.

This is outstanding!   happy to read this. 

2012-02-27 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4066869

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-02-26 10:02 AM
oriolepwr - 2012-02-25 1:21 PM

Oh man scary moment this Am.    drive way was all icy   I was scraping the ice off my Jeeps windows  came around and slipped and landed HARD on my back and right arm elbow area.   Head even hit the ground.  (no I was not wearing a helmet ha!)      It was such a hard landing  that I just stayed still for a few seconds as I thought it was possible I did real damage.   Like broke my elbow or something.     But lucky it seems like other than some bruises which will surely form,  I'm ok.      

OMG, glad you're ok...I did the same thing a couple of years ago...funny how you lay there after falling...sort of doing a systems check...am I ok???

Yes its in that moment when you think "I could get up and not have a thing wrong with me,  OR I could be in serious trouble here."       Or to put it in Mr. Quints words  (Jaws don't ya know)      "Sometimes the shark goes away........Sometimes he don't go away"   

2012-02-27 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4066725

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Ybeal - 2012-02-26 7:24 AM Anyone ever organized a fun run? Im thinking of trying to organize a kids marathon event where they log 25.2 miles over the course of a couple months and run the final 1 on race day, but I don't really know where to start.

I have not organized one.  But I think its a wonderful thing that you want to do it.    good concept you have!

My daughters have both been in a program called "girls on the run"  at their school    they run daily after school  and its taught by strong women that are runners themselves, and they also teach them about balancing a healthy lifestyle.

http://www.girlsontherun.org/theprogram.html

Maybe that helps??

2012-02-27 11:45 AM
in reply to: #4068541

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-02-27 12:38 PM

I have not organized one.  But I think its a wonderful thing that you want to do it.    good concept you have!

My daughters have both been in a program called "girls on the run"  at their school    they run daily after school  and its taught by strong women that are runners themselves, and they also teach them about balancing a healthy lifestyle.

http://www.girlsontherun.org/theprogram.html

Maybe that helps??

Yes, we have that program too, but from a scheduling standpoint it's difficult for me to commit to getting them there.  They start their Tri training in March, in prep for the big youth Tri "swim for smiles" in May.

I can't claim credit for the idea, we are going to Virginia Beach in March for the Shamrock 8K (for me) and the Smile Mile (for the kids) and that's how they do it. They get a cool medal in the shape of a shamrock so they are super excited

I just think it's a shame that elementary school kids have so little physical education and exposure to things like track and field and team sports at school.  I would like to get them interested now so it can be a part of their whole life moving forward.  The "Field Day" at their school is all fun stuff like balloon toss, etc.  Not one track event is part of it, exact opposite from when I was in elementary school where it was all running, long jump, etc.

2012-02-27 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TED! (sammeg)

2012-02-27 7:59 PM
in reply to: #4069153

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Ybeal - 2012-02-27 3:26 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TED! (sammeg)

Lá breithe shona  Ted!   New age group?
2012-02-28 1:36 AM

Rochester
Happy birthday Ted!
2012-02-28 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran

Question:  Has anyone attended the MultiSport Expo?  The one in NY is March 10th and I was wondering if its worth the day to go?  If so, what should I look out for?

Happy Birthday Ted

2012-02-29 10:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Feeling a little burnt out this week, not a good week for this to be happening.
2012-02-29 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran

oops, dp sorry

Edited by Ybeal 2012-02-29 11:38 AM
2012-02-29 10:19 AM

Rochester
Ybeal, what's going on?
2012-02-29 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4072686

User image

Veteran

peterflagg - 2012-02-29 11:19 AM Ybeal, what's going on?

Still working through some tight muscles and this stupid kink in my shoulder/neck.  Went for an easy swim yesterday, after 500yds it felt good, no pain.  Decided to practice my open turns a bit and tweaked it again, even though I wasn't doing anything strenuous. 

Feeling guilty for skipping my workout this morning but tomorrow is another day....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44