BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-06-19 10:19 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Spent this morning on swim/bike/run transition practice in preparation for Saturday's sprint tri. Had everything set out in the garage. Repeated the cycle three times (started every cycle by drenching myself in the yard with the garden hose) and then transitioned to bike for a 10-12 minute ride, back to house, transitioned to run for a 6-10 minute run each time. Was good practice.

Took the last two days off. I got bit on the foot by a ? (spider, perhaps?) and my ankle/foot/lower leg was pretty swollen and stiff. Spent two days reducing the inflammation. Plus, the bite itself was right where the back of my shoes would rub, so I didn't want to irritate it any more than it already was. Felt pretty good today.

2013-06-19 10:37 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by glfprncs Spent this morning on swim/bike/run transition practice in preparation for Saturday's sprint tri. Had everything set out in the garage. Repeated the cycle three times (started every cycle by drenching myself in the yard with the garden hose) and then transitioned to bike for a 10-12 minute ride, back to house, transitioned to run for a 6-10 minute run each time. Was good practice. Took the last two days off. I got bit on the foot by a ? (spider, perhaps?) and my ankle/foot/lower leg was pretty swollen and stiff. Spent two days reducing the inflammation. Plus, the bite itself was right where the back of my shoes would rub, so I didn't want to irritate it any more than it already was. Felt pretty good today.

That is some hardcore transition practice! Hope the foot/ankle continue to improve. 

2013-06-19 4:25 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
I got in my last brick before the race on Sunday. I'm hoping to get in a short OWS tomorrow, which will be my last swim. Definitely feeling like I can go faster with my workout volume tapering off. Do I go faster or should I keep at the speeds I've been training at? I kept the pace under control today but it was a touch faster than I usually go.

As far as race psychology, I have very little experience at endurance distance. I believe it's why I chose to sprint back in HS and college. My races were over so fast that I didn't have time to experience much pain. The pain occurred during training. The first time I had to really deal with long term physical endurance from a mental standpoint was the first time I climbed Mt Rainer. That exercise takes so long that you really have to emotionally check out to a different place. I haven't even had to go to that place with the two half marathons I've run. I figure if I make it to the half iron or the iron distance, I'll have to find that "happy" place again (not that it was very happy). For me so far, the mental challenge has been getting out of bed at 5am nearly every day but I know the race exercise is coming. Those are the challenges that make this sport so special, aren't they?

Regarding the OWS. The two lakes I have been swimming in don't allow ski boats, and one of them doesn't allow any motorized boats, so I'm pretty safe. I haven't gone alone yet, although tomorrow I may be alone and I'll use the Swim It device for my safety. This lake does not allow motorized boats so my visibility from a boating perspective is irrelevant. I do like that bright orange floatation device designed for higher visibility and I may have to get that if I find I'm swimming in waters that have a higher boating risk.
2013-06-19 8:42 PM
in reply to: dacuna01

User image

New user
Hi guys! I got a new 'used' bike yesterday from a lady in the group I ride with. She upgraded to a Trek and sold me her '12 Specialized Dolce. I took it in for a tune up today and am having a fit after that! I am amazed at how much lighter it is than my hybrid. Took it for a test spin, very different leaning forward more and being on a tiny saddle.

I have a tri next weekend, 1/2 mile, 20 miles, 5k on Saturday.
Followed by a Sunday 60 mile group ride.
I am a little nervous about that level of activity for one weekend but also excited to see how I do with it all, great challenge!

2013-06-20 4:02 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by wannabefaster

A very nice swim this morning. If I can swim like that on Sunday I will be satisfied with that portion of the race.

I am getting packed up to travel to Mont Tremblant on Friday. It is amazing how much stuff has to come along for a race. Getting it all in to two bags will be interesting. Of course, one of the bags has my bike in it. There is enough room in there that I could likely smuggle my kid on to the plane but I don't want to load it up so much that it is too heavy (as well as being over size).

I have no idea how you can get everything you need into bags to take on a plane. When were deciding on an IM race last year one of the criteria was that it had to be somewhere we could drive to (although it took 3 days). Our car was completely rammed full of stuff, and I'm fairly certain we used it all. The only person I know who flew out there had his wife with him, and used all of her baggage allowance as well as his own!

Good luck with the packing!
2013-06-20 8:07 AM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Master
South Alabama

Mary-congrats on the bike. I know you have been looking and it looks like your patience paid off. Very nice.

Dave-race pacing and the mental side of triathlon go hand in hand. I find I am often able to sustain paces that seem overwhelming in training much longer in races. Probably a combination of adrenaline and competitiveness. I think you would be wise to build into each leg of the event. Don't start off too hard but try to build/increase your effort as you get comfortable with each leg. I find that at the beginning of every swim my HR gets high. Try to just settle down and go really easy until you find your comfort zone and then try to pick up the pace a bit. Don't try to crush the swim as you will gain very little time and pay for it later in the race.  To some extent it comes down to how much you are willing to hurt. Chances are most of the hurt will be on the run. If you feel exhausted on the bike then back off. When you first go out on the run you will likely be running at a fast pace and it will feel easy.  Back off and build into the run trying to finish strong. Race your race-try not to get sucked into chasing someone on the bike and burning yourself out for the run. I suspect all of your climbing experience has made you very mentally tough. Don't be afraid to test yourself....just don't do it from the start.

I have never flown to a race. I have too much crap it seems. I'm planning on going to AG Nationals in Milwaukee in August and its about 1000 miles. I'll drive.

Jason-how are the nerves?

2013-06-20 8:10 AM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by chapfallen

A very nice swim this morning. If I can swim like that on Sunday I will be satisfied with that portion of the race.

I am getting packed up to travel to Mont Tremblant on Friday. It is amazing how much stuff has to come along for a race. Getting it all in to two bags will be interesting. Of course, one of the bags has my bike in it. There is enough room in there that I could likely smuggle my kid on to the plane but I don't want to load it up so much that it is too heavy (as well as being over size).

I have no idea how you can get everything you need into bags to take on a plane. When were deciding on an IM race last year one of the criteria was that it had to be somewhere we could drive to (although it took 3 days). Our car was completely rammed full of stuff, and I'm fairly certain we used it all. The only person I know who flew out there had his wife with him, and used all of her baggage allowance as well as his own!

Good luck with the packing!

We have made the executive decision that we will be driving to all races next year (well, maybe ONE flight....) as we are flying to THREE races this year. Crazy! I thought we could drive to Mont Tremblant but my wife was not interested in the slightest. I guess it is further than I realized. Everything is packed. The bike bag is heavier than I thought it would be. Probably from all of the extra cardboard I jammed around the outside out of paranoia for the bike. I can only imagine what the bike fee will be for this international flight. I am pretty sure I have more than enough tri-clothes. I don't know if I have enough regular clothes. My wife won't mind going out to dinner with me wearing a one-piece tri-suit, right?
2013-06-20 8:22 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Congrats on the new ride Mary - I'm sure it'll serve you well!

I also always way overpack so I don't think I could fly anywhere for a race LOL Although if I did I would probably ship my bike separately because I'm far too paranoid to fly with it.

On another note, I have my second tri tonight. This time it's a road ride instead of off road. Everytime I think about it I get nervous probably because of my little freak out in the swim last week. I **know** I can do it - I just need to keep calm and relax.

When do you fly Jason? Have a great trip and kick some a$$!
2013-06-20 8:37 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nerves are good. I'm more worried about the travel than anything else. Legs still feel pretty junky but I have been assured that they will come around by Sunday. Yesterday's swim was short but was the best I have felt in the water in awhile. Quote from the Darkhorse, "If you felt good right now I would be worried."

I am going to try out a new pair of cycling shoes on Sunday. I have ridden in them three times and they are way more comfortable than the shoes I have been using for three years. They are not tri shoes and I may lose 15 seconds putting them on but I have decided I am OK with that.

I think your advice to Dave is perfect. I couldn't put it any better so I won't. I will say that in my first tri ever I went way too hard on the bike and felt nauseated heading out on the run. I just kept plodding along and was able to finish. I think Dave is much better prepared to race than I was. I wasn't using a site like BT at the time and had no training plan. I basically didn't bike at all going in to that first race, thinking that run fitness would take care of bike fitness. What a rude awakening.

I did too many long road trips in my youth . 1000 miles is way too far for me to drive to race. I would probably go 400-450 miles, but begrudgingly. I hope my son decides to go to college somewhat close to home so I won't be driving so far.
2013-06-20 10:32 AM

User image

Very quick one (still need to catch up on everyone's posts): been driving hundreds and hundreds of miles for work this week, not a lot of sleep so I'm shattered. Training hasn't been great either, didn't feel up for doing much on monday, so only done weights, couldn't wake up early enough yesterday and had only 25min on the bike (and it was very slow) and after taking two walk breaks had to turn back on today's run I hope I can rest up before sunday
2013-06-20 10:41 AM
in reply to: tatous

User image

My training this week (except for yesterday's transition practice) has been nonexistant. The jump in intensity of the last two week's training has really wrecked my body, particularly my rhomboids and my low back. I have piano wires that stretch from my spine to my shoulder blades. Been rolling on a tennis ball and foam roller, doing stretching, and low key stuff. First tri is on Saturday...

Have a 1:00 massage and a 3:30 chiro appt scheduled today. I have a date with a long epsom salt bath tonight.

I vow to not be so negligent to my stretching and foam rollering after today.

2013-06-20 2:48 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Originally posted by slornow

Dave-race pacing and the mental side of triathlon go hand in hand. I find I am often able to sustain paces that seem overwhelming in training much longer in races. Probably a combination of adrenaline and competitiveness. I think you would be wise to build into each leg of the event. Don't start off too hard but try to build/increase your effort as you get comfortable with each leg. I find that at the beginning of every swim my HR gets high. Try to just settle down and go really easy until you find your comfort zone and then try to pick up the pace a bit. Don't try to crush the swim as you will gain very little time and pay for it later in the race.  To some extent it comes down to how much you are willing to hurt. Chances are most of the hurt will be on the run. If you feel exhausted on the bike then back off. When you first go out on the run you will likely be running at a fast pace and it will feel easy.  Back off and build into the run trying to finish strong. Race your race-try not to get sucked into chasing someone on the bike and burning yourself out for the run. I suspect all of your climbing experience has made you very mentally tough. Don't be afraid to test yourself....just don't do it from the start.

Thanks for the advice. You're so right! I'm pretty sure that's what I can improve on my Sprints. I have gone out way too fast at the beginning of each segment. I also really never had any sort of taper for those races since I worked them into my BT Oly training schedule. I've kept a fair amount of heart rate data and I'm going to try to stay within a manageable range to finish hard at the end. I plan on a slow progression of negative splits for the bike and the run. The swim is going to be sure and steady (my weakest leg).
2013-06-20 2:56 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Originally posted by glfprncs

Have a 1:00 massage and a 3:30 chiro appt scheduled today. I have a date with a long epsom salt bath tonight.

I thought of getting a massage this week but I rarely get them and I'm usually sore afterwards. I decided to keep to the mantra of not trying anything new prior to a race. I should try to incorporate massage on a routine basis to see how that affects my performance
2013-06-20 3:22 PM

User image

Speaking of swimming, I just found out that my pool is going to be closed for the entire month of August. Not that that is during my build to IM Tahoe or anything, but it couldn't come at a worse time. I suspect I will be swimming at my friend's house, in the quarry, for the whole month. He may get sick of my car being in his driveway. I think I will order one of the ISHOF swim buoys that everyone else has been talking about. I admit that I swim alone in the lake. If something were to happen I could perhaps use it for a little flotation, or at least they could find me later....... His lake is a no-gas-motor lake so boat traffic isn't such a big deal but I like the idea of a little bit of a safety net. It would probably make my wife feel better as well.

Jason, just last week 2 people died swimming in a quarry (one person trying to save another one, both experienced swimmers), there's been loads of information being put out about how dangerous it is and people don't realize it. Apparently it's something to do with it acting like a plug whole when rocks move at the bottom, but don't quote me on it, I didn't read all the information...
2013-06-20 4:11 PM
in reply to: dacuna01

User image

Originally posted by dacuna01

Originally posted by glfprncs

I thought of getting a massage this week but I rarely get them and I'm usually sore afterwards. I decided to keep to the mantra of not trying anything new prior to a race. I should try to incorporate massage on a routine basis to see how that affects my performance

My rhomboids were truly in knots/spasm. I wouldn't have done a massage this close to a triathlon, either, but I found that as each day progressed this week, the pain in my shoulders was getting worse (and moved from just the left shoulder to both by yesterday). I'll be sore tomorrow after today's massage for sure, but I at least will be able to take a swim stroke without the pain I had yesterday (yesterday I couldn't even raise my right arm above my head it hurt so much...and I'm not a wimp when it comes to pain!).

I'm going to rely on the fact that my training to this point has been far more than I would ever need to tackle a sprint triathlon, rest another day, drink tons of water, stretch, and look forward to Saturday morning.
2013-06-20 6:32 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-I'm curious...what model of tri shoes did you get?  My LBS has some really nice ones I've been lusting after....just can't find the right way to rationalize the cost. Hoping you have the new red slippers I've been wanting????

Nancy-hope the treatments helped. I've been bad about rolling and stretching since Eagleman. Started back on it this morning as my hamstring was starting to tighten up.

Quite a busy weekend of racing for our group. Can't wait to hear all about the experiences.   

2013-06-20 10:22 PM

Hudson Valley Region
Howdy folks!

I dropped off the face of the Earth for a few weeks. I was extremely disappointed by the results from my frist tri of the season on June 1. It took me a full two weeks of moping to find some of the silver lining.

I was about 15min. slower than last year's PR. That's about one minute per extra pound I've gained since last year. Abysmal to say the least.

The good parts?
- My swim time was about the same.
- Transition times were good (for me).
- Even though my bike was 5 min. slower, it felt easier. Well, technically it was easier because I was going slower. What I mean is the hills were easier to get over and my legs didn't get toasted. My legs felt fine coming off the bike.
- The run was short. And there was water. And cheering.
- It was a beautiful sunny day. But, hot. Really hot.

I was mostly limited by my cardio fitness. My HR was maxed out. So even though my body felt OK I didn't have the CV fitness to go faster.

So, I've rallied and refocused. Trying out the Barry P. 3/2/1 running plan. The first week went great but the last few days have had me driving all over God's 1/2 acre so no training. I also went to a dietician to find out how many calories I need and to get my diet straightened out. Found out I am still eating like a weightlifter at 1,000+ surplus calories a day. Not really surprised about that.

Three months until my Oly on Sept. 22. I'm not super confident about it but, we'll see. Three months seem really short nowadays.

Good luck to all you racers!

-Mark

2013-06-21 7:44 AM
in reply to: thirdstation

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Well, my little "training like a pro" bubble is over. Since the beginning of June I have worked 3 days (including yesterday), which has given me loads of time to get my peak training in. I've learnt a LOT about what my body can (and can't) handle. And it turns out that I can do a lot more than I thought I could, but only with the right recovery. I have discovered the joy of naps, and the importance of core work, ice baths and foam rolling. I've also been having a sports massage every two weeks for the last couple of months, which really helps.

I did my final long run this morning, which I was expecting would be a little bit of a trudge as I got sent out on foot patrol at work yesterday, so I was pretty tired by the time I finished work. Turns out I couldn't have been more wrong. I ran 16 miles with an average pace 20sec/mile faster than any other long run this year, but still at my target (maffetone) HR. After the first 2 miles I felt great all the way through, even right at the end! I had a look back to last year, and the same 16 mile run the same amount of time out from IM I ran 1min36sec/mile slower. I'm hoping this means that there'll be an improvement this year...

So now it's taper time. Let the madness begin.

Good luck to everyone who is racing this weekend. Sounds like the group is going to be busy. I can't wait to hear all about it.
2013-06-21 8:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Tri #2 is in the bag! WOOT

My swim coach came and he actually swam with me the whole way. I think mentally it really helped me. It was only 600 yards but after my 400 yard panic attack I needed to finish this one feeling good. And I did. 11something. Certainly not fast but I didn't get lapped by the next wave behind me (until the ride/run LOL).

Ride was ok - usually my strong point but I dropped my chain twice which really frustrated me and meant I had to keep chasing down the same people.

The run will always be my weak point.

Oh well, finished and looking back I think I even had fun
Edited to add: Race report http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

This weekend is the BAA 10K in Boston. Here's hoping I run and not limp through it.

Good luck to all the racers this weekend.

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-06-21 9:10 AM
2013-06-21 8:56 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Mark-great post. Don't be discouraged by your race time. The BarryP plan is a great way to conservatively build your run. Stick with it and you will see substantial progress. Plenty of time to get ready for your olympic race.

Rachel-sounds like living the life of a pro has been good. Nice progress on the run. I always look forward to a taper but tend to get taperitis. Really solid training!

Randee-congrats on the race. Glad the swim went better. Good luck in the 10K.

Got my last swim workout of the week in this morning early so I can run with a buddy at lunch. My training is transitioning fro 70.3 focus to olympic so not as much volume but more intensity. Tomorrow I have a bike workout that I really don't know that I can complete within the prescribed watts.....maybe I'll be surprised. Sunday is a long run.

Good luck racers! 

2013-06-21 9:22 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randy, I didn't buy tri shoes-hence the suspected slightly slower transition. They are specialized, S-Works, carbon shoes with the BOA lacing system. They are fluorescent orange so they will be visible from miles away. I wanted the S-Works carbon tri shoes (in red-are those the ones you were looking at?) but their over $400 price tag (I think) scared me away. The shoes I got retail for $370, by far the most expensive shoes I have ever bought in my life. Somehow, someone ordered several extra pairs and they wanted to move them. I have been a very good customer for many years now and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Still expensive but nowhere near $370. They are divine.

Mark, Take heart. Triathlon training is a process. Sometimes you do better, sometimes you do worse. Three months is a ton of time to be ready. Just keep at it and it will be fine.

I'm off to the airport in just a couple minutes. Wish me luck with the bag fees. I have the funny feeling I will be paying enough to buy the tri shoes when it is all said and done

Race is on Sunday. IM Mont Tremblant 70.3. Jason Adams. Bib number 769.

Good luck to all the other racers.

2013-06-21 10:52 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Bike is checked without paying a penny. Crazy!

I followed the directions on the DCRainmaker blog to the letter and they never batted an eye. If I can repeat the process on the way back I will have saved enough money to buy those Tri shoes.......
2013-06-21 3:42 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by wannabefaster Bike is checked without paying a penny. Crazy! I followed the directions on the DCRainmaker blog to the letter and they never batted an eye. If I can repeat the process on the way back I will have saved enough money to buy those Tri shoes.......

Great way to start the weekend. Hopefully a sign of good things to come!

You hit the nail on the head....Specialized S-Works tri shoes with the fold down heel and the BOA system.  I bought a pair of Specialized tri shoes a month ago and my first ride with them is when I wrecked so they are all scratched up with a tear that goes almost all the way through on the side. I get a good discount at the LBS as they are a sponsor of my tri team so may end up with the S works shoes eventually.  

2013-06-21 5:17 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slornow

Originally posted by wannabefaster Bike is checked without paying a penny. Crazy! I followed the directions on the DCRainmaker blog to the letter and they never batted an eye. If I can repeat the process on the way back I will have saved enough money to buy those Tri shoes.......

Great way to start the weekend. Hopefully a sign of good things to come!

You hit the nail on the head....Specialized S-Works tri shoes with the fold down heel and the BOA system.  I bought a pair of Specialized tri shoes a month ago and my first ride with them is when I wrecked so they are all scratched up with a tear that goes almost all the way through on the side. I get a good discount at the LBS as they are a sponsor of my tri team so may end up with the S works shoes eventually.  

it's ok - now they are broken in You didn't want them to look new anyway
2013-06-21 6:14 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Drove to Columbia this afternoon to pick up my race packet and drive the bike/run courses. I'm starting to get a little nervous...

On a positive note, my back/shoulders feel like a dream today compared to Wednesday!! Water at the lake is downright hot...definitely won't be wetsuit legal, which in my opinion, is a good thing! Bike course has nice rolling hills, but the run...I swear it's uphill both ways. How is that possible? It's an out and back course, and the hill right before the turnaround is a BEAST!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88