BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-06-08 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3538257

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED
suzielea - 2011-06-08 3:11 AM

Sara - I've done "action plans" as part of my disability training and made up a plan for myself last year but what's the deal with only choosing 1 action?

We use just one action/week to keep it simple. =)  The person can choose to continue the behavior, modify it, or choose a different action to work on.

2011-06-08 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3538444

User image

Master
Dunedin

croixfan - 2011-06-08 8:49 AM Got my backside out of bed for day 2 of the early AM program.  Had a nice ride and managed to make it to work about the same time, so the AM is already a success!

Woooowhooo!!!

2011-06-08 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3538729

User image

Master
Dunedin

suzielea - 2011-06-08 10:35 AM

Me - Finally caught up on my push ups with an extra 56 in the bank for today plus I did some flutter kicks and bicycles as ab work. I'm aiming to get in another run/walk plus more push ups/ab work and maybe a swim today too - it's currently 12:34 on the 9th so I'm posting about thursday workouts. 

NTR (not triathlon related)... so, my husband brought up the question, when the world ends on... December 12 (or whatever the date is supposed to be)... does it start with your part of the world first since technically it'll be that magic date there first?? Tongue out  

Another non-tri related thing, more of a rant, I was looking up flights to fly to New Zealand in January and it's $2,500 to flight from Syracuse, NY to Dunedin, NZ or $2,900 to fly round trip.  I was aghast that the flights could be THAT high!!  Some of us are thinking about doing Ironman New Zealand and I sure hope we can figure how how many people it takes to get a group discount!

2011-06-08 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Curt - glad you liked the "Be Iron Fit" book. I find myself going back to it often for tips, ideas, and encouragement.

Big tri day for me, in terms of the next couple weeks, as well as race info. My wife ran into my daughter's soccer coach, who does tris. (She's an 'overall women's winner' level racer). Anyway, she's volunteered to coach me on OWS, and not only that, is getting me an entry into the sold out sprint tri on Nantucket in July. That should be a blast.

Going for a nice early AM bike ride tomorrow. Temps are supposed to hit 100 here, so early is about the only time to do anything

2011-06-08 10:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Looks like everything is going pretty good for everyone on here! Way to go on the first tri, Tracie!!

Suzielea--I generally stop at the wall for about 5-10 seconds, then push off the wall and swim again. I want to eliminate that time frame and just swim...I know I'll be able to if I keep up with practice...

Which leads to.....I need some pep-talking, tough, nice , or otherwise....There's been a lot of bad news for me lately, and as a result, my training over the last 3 days has fallen to the wayside; I know I need to, but I just don't get to it!This truly bothers me cause I KNOW that once I workout my mood will be completely improved! eesh, its just a lot going on...

The next set of training sessions (classes) is starting in a week or so; unfortunately, I cant afford the full set of classes this timeFrown. Thankfully my coach was able to pro-rate it so I can at least afford to join the class once a week--even then I cant pay til July....grrr...I really need to win the lottery or something!

2011-06-09 3:25 AM
in reply to: #3538761

Extreme Veteran
50andgettingfit - 2011-06-08 9:46 AM
suzielea - 2011-06-08 7:35 AM
Mike_D - 2011-06-08 5:54 AM
suzielea - 2011-06-08 2:11 AM

Curt - great work on the swim.

Johanne - I hope your mean 1500m or 1.5k rather than 1500k swim.  

Mike - can you remind me what HTFU means? please

Sara - I've done "action plans" as part of my disability training and made up a plan for myself last year but what's the deal with only choosing 1 action?

Me - Slowly catching up on my push ups, and will try the flutter kicking and yoga moves some time today but skipping my run today although I will definitely make it up tomorrow - I just didn't really feel it today.

HTFU = Harden the F*$& Up.

Mike - thanks. I should of thought of that but I guess my webspeak isn't up to scratch yet, lol.

Curt - love the morning success.

Me - Finally caught up on my push ups with an extra 56 in the bank for today plus I did some flutter kicks and bicycles as ab work. I'm aiming to get in another run/walk plus more push ups/ab work and maybe a swim today too - it's currently 12:34 on the 9th so I'm posting about thursday workouts.

Suzie, good for you pushing forward! 

I was placing an order over the phone yesterday and I had to tell the guy a coupon code for a discount. Part of the code had an F in it and he couldn't understand me so he asked me for the letters in words and being put on the spot, I was having a heck of a time thinking of an appropriate F word! I think I was his amusement for the day.

Johanne - How about freestyle? There is an easier one to use but I'm not sure it's appropriate, lol.

2011-06-09 3:43 AM
in reply to: #3539880

Extreme Veteran
WittyCityGirl - 2011-06-08 7:51 PM
suzielea - 2011-06-08 3:11 AM

We use just one action/week to keep it simple. =)  The person can choose to continue the behavior, modify it, or choose a different action to work on.

Thanks Sara, that makes sense. It's simalar to the "Monday morning goal calls" I get from a group I'm a member of on FB. On DH's question I'm not sure. The recent "supposed armagedden" was meant to start in the place where the guy lived. On the flights to NZ I can't help but I do know it's cheaper for us to go overseas than it is to go there or interstate. Hope you can find a way to get a group discount and don't have to pay too much to come if you come to further your education.

Mike - Glad you can get some coaching and a ticket to the race.

kate - sorry about the the financial issues. I'm sure you'll do great when you get to the training. Hope you can get out there. I look forward to seeing it in your log

Me - Got in Sara's ultra beginner workout (300m) - thought of doing the "Are you ready for more?" section but decided not to as I wanted to run too. My run/walk ended up going for 2 cycles (9 mins as I'm using a 30 sec run and 4 min walk ratio) plus 5 mins warm up walk but even with that I'm getting faster - could be because I did a little bit of sprinting to get across a road to avoid being hit by a car, lol. I'm going to make up the other 18 mins of the run/walk  tomorrow then another one on Sat followed by a 4 mile walk on Sun and another swim session on Monday.

2011-06-09 5:33 AM
in reply to: #3540166

Extreme Veteran
Ended up going out again and got in 24:30 of run/walking with a 22:04 pace - a 2:30 improvement on the one I did after the swim.
2011-06-09 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

So.....I've been feeling VERY tired the past couple days, to the point I don't get out of bed to get in a work out. I can usually get my feet on the floor and move, but the past 2 days my body has been yelling at me "You need sleep, dummy!!". Its put a crimp in the workout routine, but sometimes it makes sense to do what your bod needs, I guess.  I've been operating on 5 hours of sleep for the past 3 or 4 nights, so that may be the cause.  Lots of home/work things happening which have my attention in places other than getting in a bike ride, etc. Not a good place to be 2 weeks out from my first race, but its where I find myself. C'est la vie

2011-06-09 7:10 PM
in reply to: #3539954

User image

Master
Dunedin
Mike_D - 2011-06-08 9:49 PM

Curt - glad you liked the "Be Iron Fit" book. I find myself going back to it often for tips, ideas, and encouragement.

Big tri day for me, in terms of the next couple weeks, as well as race info. My wife ran into my daughter's soccer coach, who does tris. (She's an 'overall women's winner' level racer). Anyway, she's volunteered to coach me on OWS, and not only that, is getting me an entry into the sold out sprint tri on Nantucket in July. That should be a blast.

Going for a nice early AM bike ride tomorrow. Temps are supposed to hit 100 here, so early is about the only time to do anything

100?! Ick!!  Enjoy your ride!

2011-06-09 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3540087

User image

Master
Dunedin
kgore - 2011-06-08 11:26 PM

Looks like everything is going pretty good for everyone on here! Way to go on the first tri, Tracie!!

Suzielea--I generally stop at the wall for about 5-10 seconds, then push off the wall and swim again. I want to eliminate that time frame and just swim...I know I'll be able to if I keep up with practice...

Which leads to.....I need some pep-talking, tough, nice , or otherwise....There's been a lot of bad news for me lately, and as a result, my training over the last 3 days has fallen to the wayside; I know I need to, but I just don't get to it!This truly bothers me cause I KNOW that once I workout my mood will be completely improved! eesh, its just a lot going on...

The next set of training sessions (classes) is starting in a week or so; unfortunately, I cant afford the full set of classes this timeFrown. Thankfully my coach was able to pro-rate it so I can at least afford to join the class once a week--even then I cant pay til July....grrr...I really need to win the lottery or something!

Bummer about the stuff going on.  Kate, try breaking things down to more manageable chunks.  Don't feel like you HAVE to do anything tri-related, it's way more enjoyable when you WANT to do it.  So, if you think you'll feel better once you get going and you want to get some training in, aim for a 5-10 warm up walk/run.  Then ask how you're feeling?  If you're not digging it, turn around and head back...you're at least guaranteed a 10-20 min "training" session-better than nothing.  =)

2011-06-09 11:59 PM
in reply to: #3540330

Extreme Veteran

Mike - hope you can get some sleep soon. That way you can get back on track.

Kate - hope things get better.

2011-06-10 6:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
The bad news is that I didn't get up early either of the past two days.  The good news is that I still got my workouts in!  Happy with how I feel with the increase in activity.  Still a bit frustrated at the lack of speed/power, but one step at a time.
2011-06-10 9:06 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Have a FANTASTIC weekend everyone!!! I have to work evening shifts at the hospital this weekend, so I hope I get to check to see how people's peachy June is coming along. =)
2011-06-10 11:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

It was another session as the frog mascot last night--this time for zoo members only...Not quite as much fun; while the kids at the last event enjoy the interaction and may not believe,they at least have fun(ok, prob'ly some DID believe, but still...). In this case, it was a bunch more kids who decided that it would be more fun to announce how they knew it was a person inside a suit, and they were determined to prove it...UG...even worse were the parents of the kids who were not questioning frog reality, who would then say quite loudly "it must be hot in that suit...the poor person inside....etc"  Kinda made me sad a bit....Its FUN people, just enjoy the experience!!! okay, that's my rant sorry.

Tonight, I FINALLY got on my bike--did a good 10+ mile ride out of my neighborhood and back...it was a really good ride--I was averaging about 14 mph or so, which is pretty good for my riding! It did wonders for my mood! I finally feel that regardless of what is going to happen, I am training---even if I cant afford to be in any races, I can still do my workouts for free--or at a very low cost! That is what truly matters--then if I can afford a race, I will be READY!!! Smile

2011-06-11 5:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Glad the bike ride made your day Kate!

2011-06-11 6:08 AM
in reply to: #3543514

Extreme Veteran

Kate - I think I'd take the other crowd anyday given that experience. Good work getting out for the ride.

Me - got in some push ups and I'm going for another run/walk tomorrow.

2011-06-11 4:54 PM

User image

Hi everyone.

Not posted for what seems like an age. Been having some serious doubts about my A race in 6 weeks time. Am i ready?Have i done enough training?What if i don't make it through the swim?What if i don't make it through the bike?what if i can't finish the marathon? These doubts weren't helped last week when i went out for a planned 5 hr bike ride and 2 hrs in my back went into spasm and i couldn't continue.Over the last week i have managed to get some good sessions in and have decided just to man up and get on with it. I'll be going across to germany probably under trained but figure this is better than going burnt out. I will enjoy the whole experience  and what will happen will happen.

Tomorrow is my last race in my build up . It's only a sprint so will not help my endurance but it's my local race and i pulled out last year due to an attack of the nerves. It's only about a 20 minute drive away so i been across this evening just to  settle myself down. It will be my second open water swim and after the nightmare i had a couple of week back i just needed to get a feel for the place. This seemed to help which is strange as i've run more miles round the lake than i care to mention.

will post a report tomorrow.

Regards

Simon

2011-06-11 6:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Simon have a great, relaxing time tomorrow!!!  Sometimes it's about savoring the moment and having faith / NOT working too hard at it.  Enjoy it and you'll do fine in the upcoming big event.
2011-06-11 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3544001

Extreme Veteran
Good luck with your race Simon. I'm sure you'll complete everything . Is this your first IM?
2011-06-12 4:48 AM
in reply to: #3544119

Extreme Veteran
The peachiness of June continues with a 20 min run/walk and 2 sets of push ups today (totalling in 31 pushups.) Tomorrow will be a 10 min run/walk (to make up for the 10 I missed tonight due to messing up my timers) and a swim plus hopefully some more push ups and ab work

2011-06-12 7:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Suzilea-I am impressed with the push-ups you're doing, is there a specific reason for them or just because you want to do them? I'm just curious (especially cause push-ups and I have never gotten along! Smile)

Last night, I completed a forty minute 1000 meter swim; It didn't feel as great as the last time, but it certainly wasn't bad! I did manage a whole mess of fifties without stopping at the end of the lanes, so I was kinda proud of that....Today's a busy work day, (i.e. more 'misc' sports---the advantage of a fairly physical job!)but not a regular training day. And tomorrow begins another round of coached tri classes--though I'll only be doing 1 x weekly sessions this round, due to financial stuff. I'll also be doing master swim every Thurs. starting this week again. Is nice to get back to full-on training...though I was only really struggling for a week and a half--it felt like a lifetime! I have exactly 27 days til my next tri ( a regular sprint this time...) So I'd best get to it!

2011-06-12 8:51 AM

User image

Hello All!

I have been reading up on your accomplishments...well done! Most of you are a bit farther along in training than I am right now. End of school grades and a move at the same time has kept me pretty busy. The garage is still full of boxes, but things are coming together and I am now managing to get in some training. My first season, I simply did 2 of each sport each week (3 swims because I was in danger of drowning). Last season I did a plan that included intervals, hills and such. I think I posted it a while back. This year, I will do that, and add in the missing link, strength training. I'm not there yet but working on it...A friend convinced me to do a sprint a bout 2 weeks out. (I think she just wants to kick my a**) Not sure of my speed, but I know that I can at least complete it. It is June 21st, I think. I plan on doing the two of each method until after that and then move into my plan for the summer. My next race won't be until August 21st so that gives me 2 months inbetween. What I have is a 4 week plan, so I typically do some of the weeks twice when I have more time than that.

Now that my Y is 4 min away instead of 20, it has been much easier to get in the swims! Runs are great in the new neighborhood. Biking is a challenge...To get to any backroads (moved from the country to the city) I must ride up a 4 mile hill immediately from my house in fairly heavy traffic...which sucks! I guess I will be in good shape soon, but its fair torture at the moment!

I did update my log for the week, but May will have to remain blank! I seriously need a training partner. I had to leave mine in my old town (30 min away). Close enough to work out occasionally, but the early morning daily run/ride/swims are out. Looking to meet some people here. I just sent in app for tri club here in town. Kinda intimidating, most are far more serious about it than I am. 

I'm glad to be back to some kind of routine! Happy training everyone!

Laura

2011-06-12 2:09 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Micro Mini Race Report!

16 min PR

More later!

2011-06-12 3:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Still peachy, but the challenge now begins....  Next week I'm traveling to Europe for work so it may be hard to keep the streak alive.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72