BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2012-08-30 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4387157

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!!
oriolepwr - 2012-08-29 6:45 PM
ransick - 2012-08-28 9:38 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-08-28 12:43 PM
ransick - 2012-08-28 12:37 PM

Too funny, though I shouldn't have read that while eating my lunch.  I'm no longer hungry and my salad is only half eaten  :-(

You owe me a lunch Dave :-)

You weren't eating at Ryan's Steakhouse were you?

Haha, luckily I wasn't eating at Ryan's Steakhouse or I would have lost it right there :-). On a different topic, are you thinking of doing a full IM next year and if so, which one? Anyone else in the group? If so, what race? I put together a potential list and my wife like B2B or IM Florida. I like Challenge Pentictcon or IMAZ but I have a minority vote :-). Wife wants me to do NOLA 70.3 again too because she had a blast in New Orleans and she doesn't drink.

Mike

I'm re-assessing race plans.   I'm not sure on a 140.6 next year.  My thought was to do a destination IM such as Challenge Pentictcon, Coeur d'Alene, it was St. George but thats out.     But the thing is, I want to do it right.  There just is not much of a point for me to do IM again unless I do it right.   

I do not think I can handle budget wise with the other events I'd like to do.   

Door County I WANT to do again.  Would be great to do that again with you.  

Memphis in May- (the official Mys-tri tour race)

Heck I've even cancelled the idea of Escape from Alcatraz which I have been entering the lottery in hopes of doing.   Too expensive of a trip  wah.   Soooo  My current thought for IM  is to give myself a time deadline to be at race weight,  and to handle the rest of my life in great balance.  If I do that by X date, then I will sign up for say IM-Louisville  its not a crazy drive from here and does not fill up.    Not my dream race, but I can't have everything.

Perhaps I can have my dream location for IM #3??  OMG hope my DW does not read that or I'm in TROUBLE!      NOLA would be awesome  but its a commitment trip cost wise.  I would HATE to plan that one in stead of others then have them cancel the swim AGAIN.

If I do not do IM   I would like to do TWO 70.3   So thinking Branson perhaps in addition to Door  UNLESS  I do meet my training/weight goals and drop in to Louisville. 

My suggestion for your IM is to keep doing what you are leaning towards.  Whichever one your wife would support the most. 

Yep, big commitment training, financial, and family wise. I think NOLA changed the swim to a more protected lake so it might be better. They also changed the finish last year to not be in the French Quarter. The finish was the best part when I did it so I probably won't go back unless the finish is moved back.

2012-08-31 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4128570

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!!

I'm back from marathon Isaac. It was more painful than a marathon...really. We didn't leave the house for 72 hours!! No one was hurt, except our pier, which was hurt very badly. Oh, and my heart, for my ruined pier=(

I did no workouts for five days straight, and finally was able to run on the treadmill today. It will be nice to get back in to my routine.

Shelly...I'm hoping we hear from you soon. I was thinking about you during the storm. I hope you fared well, and that it's over for you, as well.

2012-09-02 9:51 PM
in reply to: #4390304

User image

Expert
Hammond
Sarah73 - 2012-08-31 2:34 PM

I'm back from marathon Isaac. It was more painful than a marathon...really. We didn't leave the house for 72 hours!! No one was hurt, except our pier, which was hurt very badly. Oh, and my heart, for my ruined pier=(

I did no workouts for five days straight, and finally was able to run on the treadmill today. It will be nice to get back in to my routine.

Shelly...I'm hoping we hear from you soon. I was thinking about you during the storm. I hope you fared well, and that it's over for you, as well.

I'm back tonight for the first time Sarah. I too thought of you during the storm. Glad you fared well but sorry about your pier.
We did fine but just got lights back last night. We still don't have Internet but our neighbors do so something happened with our equipment but we haven't figured out what yet. I was the same as you with noe workouts since Monday. Tonight I was finally able to run 4 miles. I was actually happy to run for the first time ever- lol.
I had to work the last three days and it was crazy busy but at least we had air conditioning and lights- lol. I am happy to be getting back to a routine though. Considering doing a tri in New Orleans at the end of the month but I've got to get in the pool. I am crossing my fingers that the gym pool is open tomorrow.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Shelly
2012-09-05 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4375133

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

AUGUST TOTALS:

Wow Quincy!!! You got it this weekend...good luck!!!

Name     Swim yrds/Bike miles/Run miles   Total time

Quincy    12470       364.57     98.41      44:23:40   Awesome!!

Sarah     15580      300.55       58.06       33:42:45

Dave       1300        323.06       52.80       28:43:07

Mike       0              305.40       60.60       27:20:17   what's up..the pool still closed?? (I'm kidding!)

Shelly     2324         95.22        25.35        14:03:47

Jackie     0               32.70        76.04        13:23:35

TJ           3281        141.50       14.52        11:23:06

Tom        3675        65.26         5.40         08:37:14

Todd       3696         ??               ??           05:53:00

Yvonne    2775        13.95           0            02:12:16

Alicia       5031         0               0              01:55:00

I think these are accurate, but I was in a hurry today, so there may be some errors. It should give you an idea, anyway. Happy training, and remember, if this were easy everyone would do it!!

2012-09-06 3:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Missoula

Hey fellow tourists,  

I was paid a compliment this morning that only triathletes would appreciate. I was in the ER having some chest pain looked at. (I am fine, they think it might just be pleurisy.) The doc had some chest x-rays done and she said the radiologist noted some "abnormalities" in my lungs. Specifically in the diaphram muscles. Not something that they often see. She gave some long medically correct explanation of it. Something about aspiration capacity and other fancy terms that I can't recall. She summed it up by saying that my lungs look like those of a conditioned athlete. Ha! 

It was a stressful and expensive way get a compliment, but I'll take em however I can get em. Wink 

2012-09-06 6:05 PM

User image

Veteran
TJ, glad it was nothing serious. I've had pleurisy too and it can hurt.

My update: Dr. sidelined me for a while. I'm still experiencing numbness in my hands and a stiff/sore neck. So I cancelled my Sept. 15th tri and hope to restart soon.

Of course after I buy a new wetsuit too, aaarrrrrrgggggghhhh!

2012-09-07 12:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Well, I'm very nervous about my first Oly distance tomorrow. I'm sure it's nothing compared to Quincy's daunting task this weekend, but it's a lot for me!

I have a question for you experienced cyclists. I have many holes in my back tire that I just noticed. I keep my tired inflated to about 120 and check them before every ride, and I have never had a flat. Is this OK? One of the tires even has a little bulge (kind of like an aneurysm). I wasn't planning on changing them before tomorrow, mostly because I don't have any tires on hand, but should I?

2012-09-08 6:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Well, I survived!! Although I barely survived the first lap of the swim. My race report is up if interested.

Good luck tomorrow, Quincy...I'll be thinking about you!

2012-09-08 7:00 PM
in reply to: #4400394

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sarah73 - 2012-09-07 12:02 PM

Well, I'm very nervous about my first Oly distance tomorrow. I'm sure it's nothing compared to Quincy's daunting task this weekend, but it's a lot for me!

I have a question for you experienced cyclists. I have many holes in my back tire that I just noticed. I keep my tired inflated to about 120 and check them before every ride, and I have never had a flat. Is this OK? One of the tires even has a little bulge (kind of like an aneurysm). I wasn't planning on changing them before tomorrow, mostly because I don't have any tires on hand, but should I?

How did your OLY go? Sarah?   (whoops going to read your race report now!!)   Sorry have been very busy lately and did not get to answer this.    What ended up happening with your tire?  did you change it?      a tiny hole in the tire is not a biggie,  slits etc are just asking for trouble.

You should replace both tires in my opinion.    sure the 120 PSI is fine course it really depends on what tires you are running.   I go 120 PSI as well.      The front tire will hardly wear versus the rear.   I always replace mine in pairs and prematurely.   Just don't want to have a problem.   I pretty much do that with running shoes too.

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-09-08 7:01 PM
2012-09-08 7:15 PM
in reply to: #4396549

User image

Master
St. Louis
Sarah73 - 2012-09-05 12:58 PM

AUGUST TOTALS:

Wow Quincy!!! You got it this weekend...good luck!!!

Name     Swim yrds/Bike miles/Run miles   Total time

Quincy    12470       364.57     98.41      44:23:40   Awesome!!

Sarah     15580      300.55       58.06       33:42:45

Dave       1300        323.06       52.80       28:43:07

Mike       0              305.40       60.60       27:20:17   what's up..the pool still closed?? (I'm kidding!)

Shelly     2324         95.22        25.35        14:03:47

Jackie     0               32.70        76.04        13:23:35

TJ           3281        141.50       14.52        11:23:06

Tom        3675        65.26         5.40         08:37:14

Todd       3696         ??               ??           05:53:00

Yvonne    2775        13.95           0            02:12:16

Alicia       5031         0               0              01:55:00

I think these are accurate, but I was in a hurry today, so there may be some errors. It should give you an idea, anyway. Happy training, and remember, if this were easy everyone would do it!!

Haha, if you find my swimming mojo, please return it :-). Just haven't felt like swimming, at all :-(
2012-09-08 7:17 PM
in reply to: #4399021

User image

Master
St. Louis
Lesandtj - 2012-09-06 3:18 PM

Hey fellow tourists,  

I was paid a compliment this morning that only triathletes would appreciate. I was in the ER having some chest pain looked at. (I am fine, they think it might just be pleurisy.) The doc had some chest x-rays done and she said the radiologist noted some "abnormalities" in my lungs. Specifically in the diaphram muscles. Not something that they often see. She gave some long medically correct explanation of it. Something about aspiration capacity and other fancy terms that I can't recall. She summed it up by saying that my lungs look like those of a conditioned athlete. Ha! 

It was a stressful and expensive way get a compliment, but I'll take em however I can get em. Wink 

Glad you are ok and congrats on the compliment! I had something similar last year. Abnormal EKG called for an echocardiogram which showed I have athlete's heart.

2012-09-08 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4401705

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sarah73 - 2012-09-08 6:50 PM

Well, I survived!! Although I barely survived the first lap of the swim. My race report is up if interested.

You did great Sarah! did us Viking magical trippers proud! 

Tomorrow is the big day for Q and her DH!      Huge weekend over here as we have their kiddo's and pugs creating a packed house, when mixed with our two girls and our puppy.    I would insert a picture into this thread but I can't seem to get everyone to sit still long enough to be in one pic!      Three dogs and 4 kids.     Rockford is chewing on my foot actually while I'm typing this.   Think I'm kidding??     Me and my DW  are seriously out numbered here.      My own Ironman race last year was good prep for this weekend!  

So we will be tracking the "Iron couple"  and sending our collective positive thoughts their way tomorrow.   Looks like Ideal weather conditions.   And they are ready for "The Show"        Ok   I Gotta go....  I have to see "who let the dogs out" Ha!

Oh yea   Here is a link to track our fearless leader!  

Ironman Live

Quincy is #754

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-09-08 7:50 PM
2012-09-08 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4401750

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-09-08 7:41 PM
Sarah73 - 2012-09-08 6:50 PM

You did great Sarah! did us Viking magical trippers proud! 

Tomorrow is the big day for Q and her DH!      Huge weekend over here as we have their kiddo's and pugs creating a packed house, when mixed with our two girls and our puppy.    I would insert a picture into this thread but I can't seem to get everyone to sit still long enough to be in one pic!      Three dogs and 4 kids.     Rockford is chewing on my foot actually while I'm typing this.   Think I'm kidding??     Me and my DW  are seriously out numbered here.      My own Ironman race last year was good prep for this weekend!  

So we will be tracking the "Iron couple"  and sending our collective positive thoughts their way tomorrow.   Looks like Ideal weather conditions.   And they are ready for "The Show"        Ok   I Gotta go....  I have to see "who let the dogs out" Ha!

Oh yea   Here is a link to track our fearless leader!  

Ironman Live

Quincy is #754

Sarah, I can't wait to read your RR. Imma sit on my butt all week next week and goof around on BT, post viking pix and catch up in general. 

I'm scared to get my kids back from the Levs as they are having the time of their lives and I'm not sure how I'm going to top the weekend they've had with their friends. This includes my furry kids who worship Rockford Lev...

Just wanted to thank you all for the kind words...aaaand, I'm off to bed. Night night everyone.

Q

2012-09-09 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Thank you guys for your feedback on my race report. I really appreciate it. I am really happy with my results, but being the overachiever that I am, I am also fairly critical of many areas where I think I can improve!!

On a side note, I should have been more clear on my division. I raced as a beginner, and won that division...not my age group. I felt kind of bad racing as a beginner, but the race director told me that since it is my first season, my first oly, and my first open water ocean swim (and my swim anxiety issues), that I should put myself in the beginner category. So I did. This will definitely be my last "beginner" race.

I am really excited to track Quincy today. Thanks for the link, Dave!! I can't believe I am so nervous for her. I'm excited to hear her report...once she recovers, of course

Oh, and Dave, on the bike tire issue. I didn't do anything about it (status quo for me), and it worked out OK, but I'll replace those tires soon. Is there a certain mileage on tires when they should be replaced? They are the stock tires that came with my bike, which is a Cannondale road bike. They say Schwalbe Lugano.

2012-09-09 4:38 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Just wanted to update everyone that our own Q- highness is out on the run!!! Woo hoo Q! Going strong.

I am so excited for her. Here's to a good run and a strong Viking finish.

Shelly
2012-09-09 5:20 PM
in reply to: #4402013

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sarah73 - 2012-09-09 8:23 AM

Thank you guys for your feedback on my race report. I really appreciate it. I am really happy with my results, but being the overachiever that I am, I am also fairly critical of many areas where I think I can improve!!

Sure we understand! There are always things to improve on. This being said, you did really awesome!

On a side note, I should have been more clear on my division. I raced as a beginner, and won that division...not my age group. I felt kind of bad racing as a beginner, but the race director told me that since it is my first season, my first oly, and my first open water ocean swim (and my swim anxiety issues), that I should put myself in the beginner category. So I did. This will definitely be my last "beginner" race.

I think that the RD must have known you were a Mys-Tri Tour veteran and wanted a rock star for the beginner category. 

I am really excited to track Quincy today. Thanks for the link, Dave!! I can't believe I am so nervous for her. I'm excited to hear her report...once she recovers, of course

Me too! 

Oh, and Dave, on the bike tire issue. I didn't do anything about it (status quo for me), and it worked out OK, but I'll replace those tires soon. Is there a certain mileage on tires when they should be replaced? They are the stock tires that came with my bike, which is a Cannondale road bike. They say Schwalbe Lugano.

Tire wear is highly variable.  Rider weight,  road conditions you ride on, trainer use  etc can all play a role.  Of course so does riding over glass,  machete's and other such viking paraphernalia  can as well.     2000 miles or so.   Sure you can get MORE than that, but is it not fun to get new tires and more flat protection?     One thing that might help you decide to get new tires is that you can get some free speed this way.    Race tires are thinner and have less or no tread at all.  and offer less resistance on the road.   I want to say that since it was a stock tire on the road bike  probably you will find better performance in a new tire.      But and there is always a but is there not?   true race tires will weigh less and offer less road resistance but are more prone to flatting.  so what to do what to do.  

2012-09-09 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4402378

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

fitmomma2010 - 2012-09-09 4:38 PM Just wanted to update everyone that our own Q- highness is out on the run!!! Woo hoo Q! Going strong. I am so excited for her. Here's to a good run and a strong Viking finish. Shelly

C'mon Q  kill those mile markers!   flip em off,  cuss them out.   YOU GOT THIS!!!!

2012-09-09 5:25 PM
in reply to: #4402378

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

fitmomma2010 - 2012-09-09 4:38 PM Just wanted to update everyone that our own Q- highness is out on the run!!! Woo hoo Q! Going strong. I am so excited for her. Here's to a good run and a strong Viking finish. Shelly

I think you spelled your name wrong..... it's   SHELLLLEEEEEEE!   ;-)

2012-09-09 5:27 PM
in reply to: #4401731

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
ransick - 2012-09-08 7:17 PM
Lesandtj - 2012-09-06 3:18 PM

Hey fellow tourists,  

Glad you are ok and congrats on the compliment! I had something similar last year. Abnormal EKG called for an echocardiogram which showed I have athlete's heart.

Feeling better TJ?   I don't know what pleurisy is but, hope that is nothing bad.    How are your wife/baby doing?

2012-09-09 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Quincy....you are doing awesome!!!!I'm stalking...I mean tracking you live! You just got through half the marathon. I'm so proud of you. After I put the kids to sleep I'm gonna stick with you til the end!!
2012-09-09 9:04 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

CONGRATS!  Q  just saw you and Chris finish on the Ironman Live feed!     YOU DID IT!    You are an IRON COUPLE!! 

Sleep in, relax and we will see you tomorrow. 

2012-09-09 9:59 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Awesome job Q! I'm so excited for you cause I know how hard you've had to work to cross that finish line. You are such an inspiration!!!

Woo Hoo QQQQQ!

Shelly
2012-09-09 10:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Missoula
Woot! Way to go Q!
2012-09-10 6:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Awesome job, Quincy!! You have earned a week off!! Can't wait to hear all about it.
2012-09-10 7:26 AM
in reply to: #4402929

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

OMG, thanks everyone. I already have some pix I have to figure out how to share over here...I can't sleep because I am STARVING! Oh wait, I forgot I can just drop them from FB!

It was an epic day and I am very proud and happy. Conditions were almost ideal except for a brutal swirling wind that somehow gave us a headwind in almost every direction on the bike. 

Thanks so much for tracking me and giving me such virtual support! It meant a lot to me out on the course to know I had a virtual peanut gallery. I'll do a race report in a day or two. 

Q

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  

of 51