BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-06-22 5:57 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Originally posted by glfprncs

Drove to Columbia this afternoon to pick up my race packet and drive the bike/run courses. I'm starting to get a little nervous...

On a positive note, my back/shoulders feel like a dream today compared to Wednesday!! Water at the lake is downright hot...definitely won't be wetsuit legal, which in my opinion, is a good thing! Bike course has nice rolling hills, but the run...I swear it's uphill both ways. How is that possible? It's an out and back course, and the hill right before the turnaround is a BEAST!

Go kick some a$$!

2013-06-22 11:54 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Had a great work out this morning did a mini duathlon with my training group felt great and finally ran sub 8:00 off the bike, it's was only 2.5 miles but hey I will take it. Good luck this weekend everyone, 5 more weeks until my next race but then it's 4 races in 5 weeks.
2013-06-22 12:24 PM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I have officially done my first triathlon!!

What a great morning. Finished 2nd in my female novice division (had a battle royale going on the bike course with the girl that eventually won ...had good experiences in all three disciplines. Positive swim, great bike, decent run (it was SO hilly). Lots of place where improvement can be made, but as a first tri, I'm pleased.

I'll get my race report up later today.
2013-06-22 12:55 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

I have officially done my first triathlon!!

What a great morning. Finished 2nd in my female novice division (had a battle royale going on the bike course with the girl that eventually won ...had good experiences in all three disciplines. Positive swim, great bike, decent run (it was SO hilly). Lots of place where improvement can be made, but as a first tri, I'm pleased.

I'll get my race report up later today.

Congrats!
2013-06-22 1:05 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama
Great job Nancy...with an excellent result.
2013-06-22 1:29 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nancy, Nice job.

My bike went together surprisingly easily last night and after today's shake-out ride and a few minor adjustments it is ready to go down to transition.

It has been raining pretty hard all day here. I actually wouldn't mind if that continued. It would keep things fast and cool, if somewhat more treacherous on the bike. I left my Garmin at home on my desk so running will be by feel and splits at the mile (kilometer?) markers.

The water wasn't bad at all this morning during the practice swim. Much warmer than AZ was last year so I am happy about that. I met up with several folks from BT at the swim. A very nice group of people.

Starting to get pre race nerves but all the prep is done.

Talk to you all tomorrow after the race to let you know how it went.

2013-06-22 1:31 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nancy, Nice job.

My bike went together surprisingly easily last night and after today's shake-out ride and a few minor adjustments it is ready to go down to transition.

It has been raining pretty hard all day here. I actually wouldn't mind if that continued. It would keep things fast and cool, if somewhat more treacherous on the bike. I left my Garmin at home on my desk so running will be by feel and splits at the mile (kilometer?) markers.

The water wasn't bad at all this morning during the practice swim. Much warmer than AZ was last year so I am happy about that. I met up with several folks from BT at the swim. A very nice group of people.

Starting to get pre race nerves but all the prep is done.

Talk to you all tomorrow after the race to let you know how it went.
2013-06-22 1:52 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Champion
Helloooo. Internet has been spotty because my ipad and phone won't connect to wifi at our condo. Ironman France is tomorrow. 0630 start time. Bike and gear is checked. Time for bed! I'm number 61. Tty all at the finish! Haha
2013-06-22 2:54 PM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Melissa and Jason...good luck tomorrow!!!

If you're interested, here's my race report from today:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...
2013-06-22 4:07 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by glfprncs Melissa and Jason...good luck tomorrow!!! If you're interested, here's my race report from today: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

Nancy-could not get the link to work.

Melissa/Jason-good luck tomorrow.

2013-06-22 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4724546

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Nancy - congratulations on your first tri! Sounds like a great result. You need to publish your race report before we can read it (its still showing as a draft)

Good luck tomorrow Jason and Melissa and anyone else who is racing!

Has anyone heard from Scott recently? I've just seen on the news that there's massive flooding in Calgary. Hope he's ok.

2013-06-22 5:28 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Calgary, AB

Yes, I'm here... high and dry -- quite thankful that we bought a house up in the hills!  Though our internet was knocked out for 24 hours hence the lack of posting.  (the horrors!)   Family is fine although my wife's nephew and his wife live in the mandatory-evacuation area -- fingers crossed about their house.

The impact on the affected areas (downtown core and surrounding neighborhoods, other towns in the area particularly Canmore) has been quite shocking to see.  Nearly 100,000 people evacuated from their homes, the Saddledome (NHL hockey arena) is flooded up to row 17, the zoo is having to move animals, highways are destroyed... wow.  The Banff Marathon was supposed to be today, but was cancelled.   I flew in from Houston yesterday afternoon and got to see an aerial view of the flood -- quite a sight.  The worst seems to be over in Calgary, but lots of rebuilding -- and still plenty of downstream communities that still are under threat.

Today was the first day in a while with some sun -- you should have seen all the cyclists on the road!!  I went out last night for a short ride, but got caught when the rain started up again.  Will try again tonight.

Melissa -- best of luck tomorrow -- do it for Alberta!

Jason -- I practically grew up in Mont-Tremblant -- that was my family's go-to ski hill so I spent many winters there.   Hope you're getting a chance to enjoy the area before the race.

Nancy -- way to go!   Race report race report race report...!

Dave -- good luck (or way to go -- can't remember if you were racing today or tomorrow)

Scott.

2013-06-22 5:39 PM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

2013-06-22 10:18 PM

User image

Expert

Melissa and Jason - may you both crush your courses tomorrow!! I'm working but will be checking your progress.
2013-06-23 12:56 AM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Calgary, AB

Melissa is off, and she's done with the swim -- 1:04:49 -- holy cow!  

I think at that speed, she's creating a wake behind her Smile

2013-06-23 6:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by Hoos

Melissa is off, and she's done with the swim -- 1:04:49 -- holy cow!  

I think at that speed, she's creating a wake behind her Smile

That's an awesome swim time. First couple of bike splits are up. It's a tough bike course and she's making good progress. Go Melissa!

2013-06-23 6:27 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Melissa is over halfway through the bike. She is a strong swimmer and showed it today.

Looks like the pros just went off in Jason's race.

Going to be a long day for me.....both races are showing distances in KM for bike and run. Not fair for me to have to do math on the weekend trying to calculate km to miles.

2013-06-23 7:50 AM

User image

Originally posted by slornow

Melissa is over halfway through the bike. She is a strong swimmer and showed it today.

Looks like the pros just went off in Jason's race.

Going to be a long day for me.....both races are showing distances in KM for bike and run. Not fair for me to have to do math on the weekend trying to calculate km to miles.

Is Jason's last name Adams (bib # 769)? I tried digging through here to find where he posted his name, but did find this Jason by looking for a Jason in the 40-44 age group from Michigan.
2013-06-23 8:30 AM

User image

Calgary, AB

Nancy -- yes, Jason Adams.  Finished the swim in 37:xx.

Randy -- consider it payback.  The mentor group has lots of km hounds (Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, etc.) -- you're only going through the same mental ju-jitsu that we suffer every day.  Smile   

Besides, it sounds so much faster... last night on my bike, I hit a top speed of 71.2 -- I bet most of you mph folks would be scared to go that fast!

2013-06-23 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4784366

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Melissa's off the bike. 7.47. That's a really tough course with a huge amount of climbing. Just the run to go! (Just...)

Good swim from Jason and his first couple if bike splits look great.
2013-06-23 10:16 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Jason's off the bike. Split was 2:41 which I calculate (with difficulty) @ 20.77mph. Solid bike on a challenging course. Jason's strength is the run. Hope he lays down a great one!

2013-06-23 10:24 AM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Wow their both having awesome races.
2013-06-23 11:17 AM

User image

Calgary, AB

Originally posted by slornow Jason's off the bike. Split was 2:41 which I calculate (with difficulty) @ 20.77mph. Solid bike on a challenging course. Jason's strength is the run. Hope he lays down a great one!

He blistered through the first 10K or so!  

2013-06-23 11:27 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Thanks for all the updates guys! I don't have easy access to the IM site so it is really helpful to be able to check here!  Go Melissa!  Go Jason!

I have another friend doing IM C today -- so much to catch up on!

2013-06-23 11:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Calgary, AB

Jason is done -- and holy cow, did he ever blister through the final split!

6.1 km in under 20 minutes -- must have been super motivated to crack the 5 hour barrier!  Final time is 4:53:58.  Congratulations Jason!

Melissa is halfway done her marathon, and seems to be pretty steady so far -- just under 2.5 hrs for the half marathon -- only another HM to go!

Edited by Hoos 2013-06-23 11:56 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88