BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 68

2013-08-07 10:25 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed
Been suffering a bit of pre-race freak out the past couple days. The HIM next week has a very hilly bike, and while I'm sure I'll be fine, its the alway great fear of the unknown type thing. Then of course is the run/walk/hobble after. My leg has been OK, but the past day or two its been acting up. I"m actully looking forward to the swim . Will go out on a run tonight to get some of the stress out. Work has been a bear due to a big re-org and the results (my job is fine, just some org changes that have changed things), home is busy/crazy, etc. My big release for the race is knowing I'm going on vacation 3 days after its over.

2013-08-07 5:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Thanks for the support guys and gals! We are good now...there's a heck of a story that I'll share later but I need to take care of my family right now.
2013-08-07 6:20 PM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by medeiros13

Thanks for the support guys and gals! We are good now...there's a heck of a story that I'll share later but I need to take care of my family right now.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So thankful that your wife is ok.

Several quick things. Just found out that someone submitted a tax refund with my ssn so the next 100 years of my life will be spent on the phone (just finished 1 hour and 45 min with the IRS alone) determining how far the identity theft went. I won't say anymore because nothing but profanity will come out of mouth talking about that. Second, hubby has his first OLY this weekend! Excited for him and will be there to cheer him on.

So I prob won't be online for years until I get all of the phone calls made. I know, I know.....that's an exagerration (sp) but judging from my call with the IRS (and hubby's to the police), it's only a slight exageration. See ya sometimes.
2013-08-07 6:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.

Originally posted by medeiros13 Thanks for the support guys and gals! We are good now...there's a heck of a story that I'll share later but I need to take care of my family right now.

Jay, very happy to hear!!

2013-08-07 6:58 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.

Just found out that someone submitted a tax refund with my ssn so the next 100 years of my life will be spent on the phone (just finished 1 hour and 45 min with the IRS alone) determining how far the identity theft went. I won't say anymore because nothing but profanity will come out of mouth talking about that.

Pam, so sorry to hear! Yes, you have a long road ahead of you!!

2013-08-07 7:52 PM
in reply to: ironjim

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Pam - that is awful. Can't imagine the nightmare that could turn into. Notify the credit rating agencies as well, if you haven't already.

Went for a run tonight. Spoke to my PT marathoner person and she suggested a 5/1 run/walk to see how it felt. Run stamina wise, it was OK. Felt good each run section, and the leg was a bit sore but nothing too awful and I didn't need to stop any any point for it. Hmmmm.....hope maybe? Did 4.7 miles and felt like I had a bunch more in me. Not sure how I'll feel after 56 miles, though

Jay - glad to hear all is well!!

Mike

2013-08-07 8:00 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Originally posted by medeiros13

Very glad to hear this!

Ugh, Pam! Sorry that happened to you. But, you should have plenty of time to post....while you are on hold !

Steve, I so appreciate your willingness to share with each of us. I cannot imagine a better group, and it is in large part because of you. So remember on your long runs/rides/swims, that we are all rooting for you to complete this build well and without injury.

Mitzi, Samantha, hope all is well with you girls!

So, must have slept on my neck wrong, massage part of PT today was particularly deep, and work kinda sucked. So I'm done for the day other than a glass of wine and an ice pack!
2013-08-07 9:50 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Jay !!!! So glad your wife is ok I prayed for her!
Pam- Praying for you that really stinks! So sorry it happened

Mike! You got this bro!!! Your going to do great next sunday!!!!!

Steve- Great last post about keeping mind centered!
2013-08-08 8:03 AM
in reply to: jhight

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
First of all; Pam, I'm really sorry to hear about the identity theft. I hope that things aren't as bad to figure out as you are expecting.

Now, not to try and one up anyone...but our day was a long day yesterday. My wife's surgery went really well...we left the hospital at about 2PM to head home and got into a car accident 1 mile from the hospital. A drug dealer didn't want to wait for a red light and blew threw a red light at the intersection we were trying to take a left on to go home. Then the SOB tried to hit and run us but his car died. Luckily for us, we were in a Jeep Commander and his Camry didn't have a prayer...his car totaled...our car has a dent in the drivers side rear....that's where my daughter sits. At this point, I turn off all emotions and go into Corrections mode. Luckily for this guy, there was a police detail right there. The officer was on scene quick because there was a detail on the road we were turning on and he handled things pretty well. I did the alternating between checking on my wife, handling the cop, and talking to fire response, and making sure I didn't kick the ever living hell out of this baffoon. End result: the dealer was sited for 3 driving offenses on the spot, wife went back to the ER to make sure there was no internal bleeding (there wasn't), and my back/neck/shoulder are pretty messed up. Obviously, my wife comes first so I wasn't seen. Thank God, only my shoulder is sore today. So to try and inject a little humor into a humorless situation...my wife and I are 3 for 3 when it comes to bad days and surgical procedures for her. I'll get the accident report and tuck this guys name in my wallet...I suspect I'll see him again at work....I'll have my day. Very unChrist like to be sure but thats how I'm feeling at this moment.

Other than that, its time to nurse my wife back to health. She's already feeling better...moving around a lot more than I thought and eating a lot. I'll go get her some medicine and whatever food she wants today...other than that, I'm on home detail unless she gives me a pass to workout. Hope everyone has a good day today!
2013-08-08 8:10 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Wow, Jay. That is just incredibly awful. I'm happy to hear all is well for you & your family. Take care, and get everyone well as soon as possible! Sounds like you guys need a vacation.
2013-08-08 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Today is Dad brag day for my 10 year old daughter (The triathlete!). Last night was her summer swim teams season ending banquet/party. They hand out a few awards, and she was fortunate enought to win one of the major individual ones. The "Coach's Team Award" is given out to 1 boy & 1 girl for each of the 3 age groups on the team. Its given to someone the coaches feel exemplify teamwork, great attitude, hard work, and positive influence in practice, meets, and in general. (Its referred to as the "good egg" award ). My daughter won this for the girls 10 & under group (out of about 40 girls). Wife & I could not be more proud. Way to go, Ava!

2013-08-08 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Jay, wow, what a day! Glad everyone is OK. I sure understand being angry because when the drunk/high driver slammed into my hubby last year we felt the same way. Kerry said he realized later he probably should have made sure the guy was OK, but he was just so stunned and angry, that his impulse was to run over and beat the carp out of him. He was afraid to get close enough to risk doing that. Now that some time has passed, we still don't feel particularly warm and fuzzy about the other driver, but are able to rest in the fact that God will set things right in His timing, and for all the right reasons.

Mike, that award your daughter received is better than winning any event! Great job to her, and to you and your wife!
2013-08-08 12:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Jay, glad you and yours are ok after that. And they want to legalize drugs..... not a good idea. Hope you and your wife heal quickly. Definately take healing up over exercizing.

That identity theft is scary. I think that white collar crimes should have more significant penalties. The guy who steals the retirement money of 100,000 people is doing a lot of damage to people's lives. Hopefully all gets worked out. Makes one consider getting that identity theft insurance thingy, lifelock or whatever.

Yesterday was 8 mile run, 25 mile bike 3700 yard swim. Didn't leave a lot of downtime for the day now that summer vacation is over.

Hang in there and be safe guys.

Edited by Baowolf 2013-08-08 12:15 PM
2013-08-08 4:52 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Jay- Sorry to hear that man! I am glad you and you wife are ok!!! People these days!!!1

Mike- What an awesome accomplishment for your daughter and I know you as a father are so proud!!!

Steve- could you breakdown that 3700 yard swim workout. Just curious. I am trying to find a good swimming routine that i can build more yardage while still working on stroke
2013-08-08 5:49 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I am pretty smoked so I have lost some structure from my longer swims.
Here is what I did: Warmup 200 Breastroke, 300 Freestyle at 1:57/100. 3x300 yards at 1:55/100, 5x200 at 1:53/100, 5x 100 at 1:51/100, 4x 100 at 1:49/100, 1x 100 at 1:51, 1:53, 1:55, cd breastroke. I would have liked to have taken the speed faster, but just didnt have it.

This would have been better, wu 500 bs/fs at 1:57, 2x400 at 1:55, 3x 300 at 1:53, 2x 200 at 1:51, 3x 100 at 1:49, 3x 100 at 147, 3x 100 at 145, 3x 100 at 1:43, 2 x 100 at 1:41, 2x 50 at 1:39 and then cool down. Some variation of a ladder starting with at least 100s and ending as low as 25s at super fast for you pace. You can add in drills as part of your warmup.
2013-08-08 8:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.

Wow Jay, so glad to hear you guys are ok!!  It would be sweet justice to see him in your work!

I did a 25 mile bike followed by a 3 mile run! I'm diggin on my new Hokas, my feet have not been sore at all since switching over to them! They're a little heavier than my Newtons, but feel like little clouds under my feet! Lol!

My wife and kids are up in Lake Tahoe visiting her family and trying to get some relaxation and escape from the doctors for a while! I will be flying up there tomorrow night and hoping to get a long run in while I'm there! 

I hope everyone is enjoying the last of their summer, I know my kids are bummed they start back in school next week!

Happy training

Jim

2013-08-09 7:45 AM
in reply to: ironjim

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Have heard nothing but good things about Lake Tahoe -- incredibly beautiful.

Big swim set this AM. Coach made up a race prep/specific set today knowing I am racing the HIM next week. A couple of folks he coaches are also doing the race, so he will have them do the same swim this weekend. Total was 3300 yards. Looked like:

WU: 300 swim; 200 pull
MS:
4x25 easy
5 x (50 fast, 200 swim, 50 kick) w/ :10 rest between
4x25 easy
20x50 on :55
CD: 100 easy

Told me his philosophy for swim training was making the last 1/3 of the set really test you mentally & physically, as it may in a race. Felt tired, but ready to go when I finished. Can't believe how hungry I am, thought. Swimming makes me want to eat everything in sight. Breakfast today has been a scrambled egg, oatmeal w/ strawberries & rasins, a banana, 2 slices of whole wheat toast, coffee, big jug of water and in a couple minutes a bowl of cheerios . And I could eat more.
2013-08-09 11:40 AM

User image

Steve- Thanks so much I want to strech in to some more distance in my workouts

I love Lake Tahoe

Mike- Killer swim workout man!!! I bet those 20x50 were so fun!!!
2013-08-09 12:39 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Jim, Tahoe sounds great! Such a beautiful place. It's where we honeymooned

Steve, sounds like IM Tahoe is timed pretty well so only one big build during your work year. No worries, I'm sure they won't mind if you sleep at your desk.

Mike, I still want to do the masters swim, but the workouts you post make me rethink that.

Jared, good question on the swim workout structure. I struggle with that too and usually wind up with something I pull off some random website.

OK, girls, where have you gone? Everyone getting ready for back to school or last gasp vacations?

Between no running or cycling of any substance, going to see my friend this weekend, and will be spending a week in San Francisco in a coupla weeks, I'm kind of drifting. Not complaining since most of that is good, but I am struggling to hold on to any kind of fitness anchor.
2013-08-09 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Carol -- don't let my occasional crazy swim class stop you from going to a masters class near you. GO!! It will be the best thing you do for your swimming ever. Don't forget -- most days *I'm* the slow guy in my class.
2013-08-09 1:16 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Originally posted by Mike_D

Don't forget -- most days *I'm* the slow guy in my class.

That is precisely what scares me! Seriously, thanks for the encouragement. I do think that is in my future, but I'm not going to sign up until after I get through the next few weeks of travel and PT co-pays.

2013-08-09 10:25 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Long swim today 4500 yards. Wu 200 breaststroke, 300 easy freestyle, then 10 x 200 at race pace, 4x 200 at 2 seconds faster than that, then 100s at 2 seconds faster, 4, 6, and cool down. I am not doing too much of the fast stuff because my shoulder is iffy. It is grumbly in the first 500 yards then settles down for the rest of the swim. I stretch it every night.

The knee I am sure is from my bike seat adjustment on my trainer bike, dipped the nose a touch too far making my legs try to keep my weight back tweeking the top of the kneecap area on the outside. Sigh. Skipped the run today, hope to make my longs this weekend, we see how it goes. I am gona have to take a good long rest after the IM, hopefully ductape holds me together until then.
2013-08-10 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4724810

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Duct tape? Lol

On phone so quick post.

Jay so thankful you all are ok. Whew what a day.

Mike that is awesome about your daughters award. Best award to get.

Carol hope your trip is good.

Hubby did great in his oly. Well I should qualify.....his swim was awful but he slayed bike and run. I'm proud of him. Rafting afterwards was fun. Tired now. Id theft seems to be only tax fraud but still have a few more steps to insure I don't have problems later. Aaaaarrrggghhh
2013-08-10 9:04 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
112 mile bike 3 mile brick... tired. Why do we do this again..... ya its that point in the training.

Hope the ID theft thing settles out quickly sounds like it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
2013-08-11 3:34 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
17 mile run today, here are the times: 9:29, 9:02, 9:00, 8:55, 9:15, 9:11, 9:17, 9:09, 9:15, 9:17, 9:13, 9:03, 8:57, 9:00, 9:03, 8:38, 8:34
The reason I put up those times was to show that there was no significant drop off in pace throughout the run with a strong finish. This is what you want to see to know that your fitness is getting in place for a marathon or IM, that your long run even if at a reasonable place doesn't get longer by more than 20 to 30 seconds over the 2nd half of the run compared with the first half of your run. I sometimes actually track my long run to see where my run falls appart to look at level of fitness. Anyway it is something you can do when looking at your readiness for a race and when picking what pace you should run for that race.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 68