General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-06-11 2:35 PM
in reply to: ECS49

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!

Originally posted by ECS49 Well my thought is a wetsuit I am literally never going to use outside of a race. These I believe are more of a training tool that is helpful like a wetsuit come race day

In my humble opinion, I would get a wet suit. A good wetsuit is no more expensive, and can be cheaper, than these.

2014-06-11 6:32 PM
in reply to: #4916495

I will be using a wet suit for the first time this weekend. Any tricks/tips I need to know?
2014-06-11 6:39 PM
in reply to: Bubbacaya

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Bubbacaya I will be using a wet suit for the first time this weekend. Any tricks/tips I need to know?

Use body glide liberally (not Vaseline or other petroleum based lubricant). Put plastic bags over your feet then slide the suit on. then take bags off feet, it will make getting it on easier. Make sure to put the lubricant under your arms and on the back of your neck. Don't go out for a killer swim, just get used to the feel of the thing. I LOVE mine, others feel constricted. It is an individual thing. There. that is all my knowledge in one post

2014-06-11 6:52 PM
in reply to: Bubbacaya

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by Bubbacaya

I will be using a wet suit for the first time this weekend. Any tricks/tips I need to know?

X2 on the body glide. Especially on the wrists, ankles and neck (unless you like the look oh a hickey on your neck. Also, as you put it on, get as much material you can into the crotch and then into the shoulders. This will give more material in the chest and rib area and will feel less constricting on your breathing. Like anything else, I am a firm believer in practice, practice, practice. Race day should be routine, not time for something new. Get as much practice in the equipment you will race in.
2014-06-11 7:10 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
x2 what they said.

Remember do not claw as the suit but pull it up by the pads of your fingers. Avoid the finger nails. I actually wear gloves I use for winter running to pull it up with. this way I can not damage the outside. I saw one guy with a brand new suit and he wanted his money back because outside was all cut up. I said they warned us about it.

I never used the bag. I always keep it inside out. I roll the legs and set in. pull it up as much as I can. leave it half way until your about to start. Do the same thing with the arms. get zipped up and make sure the flap that goes because me and the zipper is in place. I cut myself a few times that way. Its not fun.
2014-06-12 9:38 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

I've been having more hiccups with my training -- my problem is that when I have plans in the evening, I think, okay, I'll wake up in the morning and get this training in, and i always always always sleep through it.

so, to keep up with my training plan, I doubled up last night and did a brick: 12 mile bike ride followed by a 1.5 mile run. Holy moly my legs hurt afterwards, but I am so proud that i was able to keep running and not stop even through my legs were clearly tired.

today, I am determined to fit in a swim before my friends and I watch Rocky for the first time -- apparently its required viewing for Philadelphians.

2014-06-12 10:47 AM
in reply to: jolinebean

User image

Ok, giving up on the lava pants. So the next question, what wetsuit will fit me?

I am not convinced that the Vortex by xterra is going to fit even in the 2xl

I am about 6'1-6'2 and currently around 260.

Hopefully can get some suggestions on companys that make bigger wetsuits that won't break the bank

2014-06-12 11:47 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by ECS49 Ok, giving up on the lava pants. So the next question, what wetsuit will fit me? I am not convinced that the Vortex by xterra is going to fit even in the 2xl I am about 6'1-6'2 and currently around 260. Hopefully can get some suggestions on companys that make bigger wetsuits that won't break the bank

I can't help with that but outside of the wonderous reviews from our Clydes here, you may want to check out the gear review section of BT. That and the review section for vortex.

2014-06-12 11:55 AM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
I have 2xl lava pants and they are short on me and I'm only 5'10" but with a 28"/29" inseam so short legs and long torso. I also have the Vortex wetsuit in 2xl and it fits perfectly except the legs are an inch or 2 longer than I would like but at least you now have an idea of the fit dimensions for height and torso. I can't recommend anything else but I can confirm that the vortex will prob not be a good fit for you. Oh I'm 222 and carry most of that weight in the gut.
2014-06-12 12:46 PM
in reply to: diablo243

User image

Thx, guess the vortex is out. I know I have seen guys much bigger than I in wetsuits, I will check out the review section
2014-06-13 10:15 PM
in reply to: Fechter99

Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Hey guys! I'm new around here and hoping to get some support and advice while doing triathlon training.

NAME / username: Emilie/eminemilie (no, I do not like the rapper Eminem lol. My college roommate had trouble pronouncing my name when she was drunk and it stuck as a nickname)

STORY: I was an athlete in high school, but stopped being super active in college. Decided to get in shape and started running, trained for a marathon last summer, but injured myself about 8 weeks prior to the race and didn't start training again. Gained all of my weight back plus more. Got to a point where I was more than just unhappy, I was miserable. Not being comfortable with my body made me not comfortable in general, and I felt like everything in my life sucked (it didn't/doesn't). About a month into be really serious about being healthy.

FAMILY STATUS: Live with boyfriend, no kids or pets

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I am focusing on biking until I get down to a more comfortable weight where I don't feel awkward attempting to run. Riding lots (3-5 times a week) and decent distances in my mind (about 11-15 miles a trip right now).

2013 RACES/ results: Nada

2014 plans and RACES: I am not planning on doing any triathlons this year. The race I am thinking about making my first one will be June 2015. I know it's a ways away, but Im really not confident that I would be ready to do one this racing season.

WEIGHTLOSS: I started Weight Watchers in May and am down 12.4lbs already, which weighs me in at 186. I have always somewhat struggled with my weight, and had an eating disorder in high school. I finally got over that only to go the opposite way as I got older. I'm pretty tiny typically, I have a smaller frame and am only 5'2. I'm trying to really focus on being healthy over an exact weight, but I'd really like to be in the 140s with muscle as opposed to where I am now

2014-06-13 10:30 PM
in reply to: eminemilie

User image

Let me be the first to say that their is no reason to feel awkward when running. I realize I can not make you feel any way, but let me reassure you that you are not awkward. The bike seems like a great place to start and obviously you realize the most important part of weight loss is the diet, I would for sure add some more things that are more cardio based (or more than a bike anyways unless you are tackling hills like a crazy lady).

You can always get a great workout in that will help shed those pounds by run walking. Jog x min, and then walk X min. You'll be surprised on how quickly the amount of time you can do the job rises.
2014-06-14 6:47 PM
in reply to: eminemilie

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by eminemilie

Hey guys! I'm new around here and hoping to get some support and advice while doing triathlon training.

NAME / username: Emilie/eminemilie (no, I do not like the rapper Eminem lol. My college roommate had trouble pronouncing my name when she was drunk and it stuck as a nickname)

STORY: I was an athlete in high school, but stopped being super active in college. Decided to get in shape and started running, trained for a marathon last summer, but injured myself about 8 weeks prior to the race and didn't start training again. Gained all of my weight back plus more. Got to a point where I was more than just unhappy, I was miserable. Not being comfortable with my body made me not comfortable in general, and I felt like everything in my life sucked (it didn't/doesn't). About a month into be really serious about being healthy.

FAMILY STATUS: Live with boyfriend, no kids or pets

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I am focusing on biking until I get down to a more comfortable weight where I don't feel awkward attempting to run. Riding lots (3-5 times a week) and decent distances in my mind (about 11-15 miles a trip right now).

2013 RACES/ results: Nada

2014 plans and RACES: I am not planning on doing any triathlons this year. The race I am thinking about making my first one will be June 2015. I know it's a ways away, but Im really not confident that I would be ready to do one this racing season.

WEIGHTLOSS: I started Weight Watchers in May and am down 12.4lbs already, which weighs me in at 186. I have always somewhat struggled with my weight, and had an eating disorder in high school. I finally got over that only to go the opposite way as I got older. I'm pretty tiny typically, I have a smaller frame and am only 5'2. I'm trying to really focus on being healthy over an exact weight, but I'd really like to be in the 140s with muscle as opposed to where I am now

Welcome! I'm confident that you'll find the support and guidance you need from our group. Great job in the initial weight loss. One thing that I think we've all learned is that it doesn't matter about our shape or size, we still swim, bike and run. You will see all shapes and sizes at triathlons and running races, etc. if you want to run, pull on the running shoes and get out there!

2014-06-14 6:52 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Yardville, NJ
I attended a great open water swim clinic today. We had about 20-25 Ryan's Quest team members out there today. Learned some new tips and got to practice swimming in a crowd. I'm beginning to get over the anxiety of group swimming. Hopefully i have a good swim at next week's race. Next week I'm racing in the Stafford. Township "Tri The Bridge" sprint triathlon. The bike takes us over and back on the causeway bridge onto Long Beach Island. It was fun last year and I'm looking forward to it.
2014-06-15 4:07 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Happy Father's Day to all the dads in the group!

I'm having a great day. Randi made me breakfast. Then the whole family went out for a bike ride. We did almost 12 miles. Randi and I followed that with a brick/run. Spent some time this afternoon in my favorite place... the bike shop. I had bought a Adamo Racing saddle for my tri bike. I had the shop put in on, refit the seat post, and adjust my cleats a bit.

2014-06-15 8:19 PM
in reply to: #5011035

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Happy Father's Day to all dads out there! Great weekend here, ran my first 10k Friday night in 1:01:13 (so just sub 10min mile walked the run course of next weeks tri on Saturday and the biked 19 miles with LBS group today! It's all coming together, taper week this week and then the big day Sunday!!! Can anyone tell me why sprint and even olympic tris for that matter start at 7am!?!? Ughhhhhh it's a sub 2hr race people, how about 9am??? Lol I'm not a morning person and having a 45min ride makes for an early day. Hope everyone had a great weekend and is planning for a great healthy week!

2014-06-15 10:53 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
hey now. my first sprint took me over 3 hours and I bet my next one will take about 2+ hours.

Today I did 6.3 miles. Starting marathon training. Bad news is I got a really long way to go. Good news is atleast I am getting the training in.
2014-06-16 7:58 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Welcome Emilie!

-----------------------------------------------

Also want to wish all the dads and double-duty moms a slightly belated Happy Father's day!

-----------------------------------------------

Sunday Update:

Well, the scale trampolined on me a bit, and I jumped back to 254. Granted, I didn't weigh until just before lunch instead of first thing... but still, I know I gained. I did much better with training last week. I got both of my swims in. Monday I only went 750 yards, but it was all working on bilateral breathing. I really don't know if I'm ever going to "get it". Friday, I jumped in the pool to take off for my warm up, and ended up grinding out 1500 yards in 44 minutes... It wasn't planned, but it was one of those moments where I just sat back, relaxed and swam... It felt good. The bike was... so-so... Only two of us showed for the Thurs group, and halfway thru a thunderclap almost helped me understand how/why athletes pee on the bike, LOL!!. Saturday sucked. 7.5 miles cut short by yet another flat... . My runs were good again, tue, thur and a slightly longer one on sat.

I've been informed that my Father's Day gift from my wife is a clipless setup. Only real issue is that I have no idea what I'm looking at, and she's set me a limit of $50... I'm sure I can break it if needs be... but not by much... Suggestions?
2014-06-16 8:12 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by diablo243

Happy Father's Day to all dads out there! Great weekend here, ran my first 10k Friday night in 1:01:13 (so just sub 10min mile walked the run course of next weeks tri on Saturday and the biked 19 miles with LBS group today! It's all coming together, taper week this week and then the big day Sunday!!! Can anyone tell me why sprint and even olympic tris for that matter start at 7am!?!? Ughhhhhh it's a sub 2hr race people, how about 9am??? Lol I'm not a morning person and having a 45min ride makes for an early day. Hope everyone had a great weekend and is planning for a great healthy week!

Nice work on the 10K!

I think most of the reason for the early starts is due to road closures. It's less impact on the local community if you can reopen the roads by 10 or 11am on a Saturday or Sunday morning. We've worked with and volunteered for many races with a local race director. Even when the race kicks off at 7am, all people are not finished until 9:30-10 (sprint) and 12-1pm (oly). Then they have to do awards, clean up, break down, etc. When we've helped with break down, we're out there until 4 pm or so for a big race (NJ State). Factor in a 4am-5am start, that's a long day for the race crew.
2014-06-16 8:13 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by chirunner134

hey now. my first sprint took me over 3 hours and I bet my next one will take about 2+ hours.

Today I did 6.3 miles. Starting marathon training. Bad news is I got a really long way to go. Good news is atleast I am getting the training in.

nice run! When and where is your marathon?
2014-06-16 8:22 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

I've been informed that my Father's Day gift from my wife is a clipless setup. Only real issue is that I have no idea what I'm looking at, and she's set me a limit of $50... I'm sure I can break it if needs be... but not by much... Suggestions?

I'm pretty sure this will start lots of conversation and opinions. Here's my 2 cents...

My first forray into clipless I went with spd cleats and (believe it or not) mountain bike shoes. The spd's were nice because you can clip in from either side. The MB shoes make for easier running and walking since the cleats are more recessed into the lugs of the shoe. The MB shoe also is more flexible than a road/tri shoe. More comfortable, yet you sacrifice power transfer and speed.

Then I "upgraded" to a carbon sole raod shoe with Look Keo pedals. Stiffer shoe, wider cleat = more power. Downside, I'm still playing with cleat position (been fitted 3 times now) and "hot foot". Also, the Look pedal only clips in from one side, makes it tricky sometimes when you have a slick sole of the shoe on the wrong side of the pedal. Overall, I'm happy with the road shoe and the Look pedal, even though I curse it at least once per ride!

The other thing to remember is that we all fall at least once while clipping in, or while stopping and forgetting to unclip. It's not a matter of "if" it's a matter of "when".

Last thing...(and I can't wait for Peter to chime in)... why do they call them "clipless" if you have to clip in???

2014-06-16 8:23 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Almost forgot... check out Nashbar for great prices! And, make sure the pedals/cleats you buy are compatabile with the shoes you want.
2014-06-16 8:37 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Originally posted by Mfechter67
Last thing...(and I can't wait for Peter to chime in)... why do they call them "clipless" if you have to clip in???

Peter's probably going to kill me for stealing his thunder on this one. Been doing my research for a while, and I believe I have come up with an answer. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but after straps, were the next style of locking feet to pedals not called "toe clips"? It stands to reason that the system that eliminated toe clips could (however erroneously) be called "clipless"

hehehe
2014-06-16 12:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Clipless: derived from the Latin phrase Tondeo Totondi Tonsum that simply translates to: shave, shear, clip. Less is more as we all know so clipless pedals reference shaving or clipping time from your ride(because you have more poser being attached or clipped into your shoe) while doing less with more, smaller and lighter pedals and shoes.

There is NO reason what so ever to fact check that, I assure you it is 1000% factual

Edited by diablo243 2014-06-16 12:24 PM
2014-06-16 12:23 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
I hope you guys were talking about me, did another Peter join that I missed?!?!? Ughhh that would be embarrassing!!!

So got some goodies up for sale for those who don't patrol the classifieds, some next to new Asic Tri Gel Noosa 8s size 10 and a QR Tequilo tri bike size 53. Ads are in classified area if you want to check out and if interested, pm me for special "group" member pricing.

WebFoot I STILL have those DAMN pedals for you if you want them and then can spend money on shoes. I just finally got them out of the trunk of my Infiniti which was stuck shut forever an a day. They are SPD like I said (which someone commented as well are more traditionally used in MTB these days) but you can get adapter plates for tradition 3 holed road shoes for SPD clips. What size shoe are you I could prob hook you up with shoes as well and then you could just buy adapter plates. I know I have told you for month yous could have them but I SWEAR I will actually get them in the mail if you really want them.

If you are just going to buy pedals I am running the Bike Nashbar $27 Look compatible pedals and have ZERO issue with them. I highly recommend them and at our ability level (sorry for assumptions but am guessing we are both "beginners") you won't notice the 3oz savings of going with the $99 pedals in carbon. Another option is Look Keo's are a dime a dozen used on ebay, I actually have the Reds on my tri bike that is for sale. Easy to find them with cleats for $30 used on ebay. As far as shoes go, do your self a favor and get tri shoes if you are really going to continue to do tris, they are a single velcro strap as opposed to multiple straps or ratchets or other stuff you get on standard road shoes. Again ebay is your friend, don't be afraid to buy used, just make sure the seller has at least 100 positive feedbacks AS A SELLER and within the last few months and you can usually trust them as reliable.

Good luck and let me know about pedals and shoe size.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28162 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100350 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?