Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-12-14 6:28 PM
in reply to: #1102547

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL

Woo hoo!!! If by "mall" you mean "shopping center" or "retail outlet" then I should be all caught up on my workouts!  Tuesday, I went to three different strip malls, one mom-and-pop shop, and the more traditional mall. Today, I braved Costco, which took me five minutes to drive OUT of once I was done. So does all that count for six workouts?!?

2007-12-14 7:14 PM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: (Tongue and Cheek) Q&A on Diet and Exercise
This was forwarded to me from a friend....I'm not sure of the origin, but I was not the author... i.e. I don't take credit for this very fun Q&A! Rich!!! (Got to read all the way down to the conclusion!) :p

Diet Questions Answered ;-)
Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life; is this true?
A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it... don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.
------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ----
Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?
A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.
Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that means they take the water out of the fruity bit so you get even more of the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain. Bottoms up!
Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have a body and you have fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.
Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good!
Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!!! .... Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?
Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.
Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: Are you crazy? HELLO Cocoa beans! Another vegetable!!! It's the best feel-good food around!
Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.
Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.
And remember:

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - 'WOO HOO! What a Ride'
AND......

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.
1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
5. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION:
Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.
2007-12-17 12:48 PM
in reply to: #1100616

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Angela, Congrats on the marathon! I agree with Kat, I think marathons are tons harder than triathlons (which is probably why I"ve never even considered doing a marathon!). Good for you, you should be really proud of yourself!!!
2007-12-17 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1102547

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
So there are points for marathon mall shopping...Hmmm, what about an hour shoveling snow?

Edited by aduncan42 2007-12-17 1:09 PM
2007-12-18 12:11 AM
in reply to: #1106234

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
aduncan42 - 2007-12-17 12:49 PM

So there are points for marathon mall shopping...Hmmm, what about an hour shoveling snow?

Yeah.....that would be a combination of cardiovascular workout and strength workout!

How much snow have you gotten Andi?

Rich
2007-12-21 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Gang!

Just checking in! Believe it or not, I've lost 2lbs during the Holiday Season! Lost and Holiday Season is like oil and vinegar.....they normally don't mix! It is the running I'm sure.....as sick as this might sound.....I'm finding the running enjoyable!

Had my MRI yesterday......no results.....I saw some of the images.......don't really know what I was looking at except I could definitely tell where the calcium deposits were. They have unfortunately grown since the x-ray and look like they are going deeper into the tendon! Lots of splotches and white accumulations around the bone. Have an appointment on 1/4/2008. I'm sure if it is "serious", the doc would call me.

How are you doing on the Challenge? Andi should be done with so much snow! Katz might be through with marathon trips to the mall!

Okie Dokie! Let's hear from you!

Rich

2007-12-22 9:22 AM
in reply to: #1113679

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Well, I wish that I could say that I've lost weight over the holidays, but I haven't.  I think I'm just barely holding my own, which means that I still have the 8-9 lbs that I gained back earlier in the fall during my "offseason."  My plan is to not gain weight in the next week (and maybe lose a pound or two if I'm lucky) and then buckle back down with the 300 cal/3 hour plan that worked so well for me during the summer.

I have logged 12 workouts this month, not counting mall sessions and some strength training (trying to get my metabolism back to running high and lose my jolly belly fat). If I workout everyday (ha ha ha ha!!! no, seriously...) the rest of this month, or maybe double up on a day or two, I could actually make the goal! Crazy!!!

I have finished the marathon mall shopping, and today, I get to try for my longest run ever.  I have a two hour run on the schedule, which I will take pretty slowly, I'm sure. But it will still translate into 10-11 miles, and my longest previous run is 8.25 miles.  So, I'll put the christmas tunes on the ipod and head out while the weather is still nice and see how far I can go!  My last runs have felt really strong, so I'm optimistic.  Maybe it will help make up for all of the christmas cookies I've been eating!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!! LOVE YA BUNCHES!!!!!

Edited by katzchen55 2007-12-22 9:27 AM
2007-12-28 1:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
FINISHED the 20/31 Workout Challenge today with my 10th run and my 21st workout with 4 days to go! Does that mean I get 4 rest days? Woooooo Hoooooooo!

Rich
2007-12-28 8:03 AM
in reply to: #1119835

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Four rest days works for me!! I have 15 workouts completed, not counting super-long-runs, weight training, and marathon mall shopping. I have a workout on the schedule for today and doubling up for the next two days, so I might still get to 20.  My house guests are leaving this morning (bummer) so my schedule will be getting back to normal and I'll have more time for working out.  I'll probably have better luck with keeping my eating under control, too! Time to start being good again!
2007-12-28 8:50 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Congratulations Rich!  That's awesome...4 days to sit around, drink leftover eggnog and eat the rest of the fudge in the house!  Oh, maybe that's me...  I've completed 15 workouts (2x for the marathon).  I feel really good about what I've accomplished this month with the holidays, parties, shopping, marathon recovery.  I still have 2 medium runs planned to finish out the month.  Kat, you've done awesome as well!  It's hard to workout with guests in the house...I would have blown off my workouts.   That's dedication girl!

2007 has been a really good year for me personally...a lot has to do with finding all you crazy, cyber, tri friends!  Thanks y'all!  I'm leaving town for a few days so I wish everyone peace and happiness for the new year!  Ring it in with style!

Cheers!

Angela 

2007-12-28 12:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Excellent work Angela and Katz! TOTALLY AWESOME!

Angela....CONGRATULATIONS on such a GREAT year.....ya had your struggles and you persevered! Be very proud of what you accomplished! Hopefully you learned that with the right preparation, support, and discipline you can accomplish almost anything! You have TOTALLY ROCKED!!!!!!!

Katz.....CONGRATULATIONS to you, too! I really don't know how you do it! You amaze me with everything you balance in your life! I have it easy.....my wife takes care of everything.....I just help every once and a while! (I pick up my socks, too! .....teee heee!)

If I don't get a chance.....HAPPY NEW YEAR! Be Safe and come back after the New Year refreshed and ready to have an even better 2008!!!

Rich

2007-12-31 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Pic of my GIANT Trinity A1
Here it is....I finally have a working digital camera! Here is my new child....it hasn't been house broken and is an inside bike so far.......it hasn't seen the sunlight.....I don't want to expose it to outside air until it builds an immune system.....and grows pedals. I won disc covers and free bike fitting at the Annual Holiday Team Meeting! Just have to get my rear in gear and finish setting up the bike.

Edited by Cyclingmaniac 2007-12-31 1:45 PM

(Bike Pic 12312007 Resize.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Bike Pic 12312007 Resize.jpg (44KB - 58 downloads)
2008-01-02 9:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA

WOW!  Rich, that's a beauty!  Be sure to tell us all the details of your first ride together.

HAPPY, HEALTHY, PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR to all! 

As some of you know, I had surgery a few weeks ago - I guess you could call it exploratory-type surgery and the good news is I do not have cancer!  So I couldn't train most of that week. I also have a sore knee from a particularly tough Taekwon Do class -- but Monday I did double-workouts and yesterday had a triple-workout day.  Very pleased!  And over the past few weeks, Carl and I have started a regular Yoga practice and at least a weekly trip to the gym together.  Feel like I'm back on track for the New Year...

How about you?  :-)

2008-01-02 9:44 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Oh Christine...that is good news!  I'm so glad it turned out well!  You've started 2008 right!  Keep it up.  My husband's been working out more consistently these past few months and I love it!  He's even signed up for a 1/2 mary in Feb.  I think I've got him talked into doing a sprint tri with me this season. 

Rich,  love the ride!  How does your wife feel about the new lady in your life?  You might need to thank her often for sharing you!  BTW, Santa bought me new clip pedals and tri bike shoes.  I'm very excited to learn how to use them...I'm sure I'll fall a few times trying, but I'm soooo ready NOT to wear my running shoes to bike. 

Cheers!

2008-01-02 3:11 PM
in reply to: #1127576

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
cmbcwb3 - 2008-01-02 9:01 AM

As some of you know, I had surgery a few weeks ago - I guess you could call it exploratory-type surgery and the good news is I do not have cancer! 

Christine: That is GREAT NEWS! CONGRATULATION! (As one who has dealt with cancer and in my case continue to face it, I know how scary it can be. The "not-knowing" is more difficult to handle then facing the potential cures.) I am SOOOOOO HAPPY for you......take it easy coming back and don't push it. Depending upon the procedure, you don't want to bust any of the stitches (if you had any!)

Angela: As for my new ride......I'm not sure if it is a he or a she......I haven't looked yet! I'm not sure that I will know until after I have had an opportunity to ride her/him. Bhaltair (Mighty Warrior) was a little concerned that I would abandon him for my new ride, but I assured him Saturday that he would have equal if not more time on the road with me this next year! He gave me an exceptional good ride on Sunday! Now if my new bike is a she, I wonder how long before I start seeing smaller bikes? Hmmmmmmm! I may never have to buy a bike again! SWEEEEEET!

Your out of control Mentor, Rich!!!

Edited by Cyclingmaniac 2008-01-02 3:13 PM
2008-01-02 6:07 PM
in reply to: #1128893

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!! 

Rich .... LOVE the new ride!!! You'll have to be sure to let us know what you name him/her. I bet you can hardly wait to get out on the road and let it fly....

Christine, great news! I know that has to be such a relief.  I can't imagine facing that possibility and just not knowing for sure - that had to be hard.  Excellent news, and great job with the workouts!

I've been slacking off on the training for a little bit.  My sister was kind enough to bring her cold with her from NC when she came out for the holidays.  I'm almost over it, but today I'm in a waiting room in a hospital in Houston while my father-in-law has double-bypass surgery.  All will be well, but it's been a long today.  I'll try to get on my trainer for a little while tomorrow after I'm home.  I've still got a lot of recovering from the holidays to do, but this week is supposed to be a relatively light week training wise  I'm also going to sign up at a new indoor pool in my area to get my butt back into the water! Looking forward to some good swimming to soothe the soul.

So glad to hear from all of you...let's get geared back up for another great tri season!

2008-01-03 7:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA

Thanks guys!

I hope everything goes well for your father-in-law KAT.  Good luck with the new pool.  Overnight it got very cold here - so we will now have to dry our hair after swimming for a few months.

RICH, Get on that bike yet???  Geez, I couldn't STAND to wait if I lived in sunny Cali.

Edited by cmbcwb3 2008-01-03 7:32 AM
2008-01-07 8:13 AM
in reply to: #1130210

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

OK, folks....I don't know about you, but I'm ready to get serious about getting my bod back into racing shape.  I have an oly on my schedule for March 30, and about 15 lbs. to lose before I get there.  I'm also going to try to get back into the pool today - woohoo!

One of the reasons that I'm feeling so far behind is that I missed almost all of my workouts last week.  My father-in-law's heart surgery did not turn out to be as uncomplicated as we had hoped - in fact, he had to be kept unconscious under sedation for five days while they worked the complications out.  He's in the best possible medical care and he's going to be fine, but we didn't feel good about leaving his side until this weekend.  So...I've got some catching up to do!

Rich, any tips on how I should appproach jumping back in after missing so much? Should I just go all out and try to pick up the full workouts again? Or should I be easing into it a little bit? As luck would have it, last week was supposed to be a recovery week anyway, but the workouts on my schedule this week are looking pretty dang hard!

2008-01-07 6:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Jumping back in!
Rich, any tips on how I should appproach jumping back in after missing so much? Should I just go all out and try to pick up the full workouts again? Or should I be easing into it a little bit? As luck would have it, last week was supposed to be a recovery week anyway, but the workouts on my schedule this week are looking pretty dang hard!

Hi, Katz!

I would ease back into your workouts....if you have missed several weeks, you have lost some fitness level. (i.e. it is easier to maintain versus loosing and regaining.) If you are on a plan....look to see if your swims are MWF, your runs T, TH, Sat, and your rides 48 hours apart?
You might be able to get your workouts in, but maybe not at the intensity level.

Hope this helps!

Rich

2008-01-07 6:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: January Challenge?
Hey.....for some reason I thought we were doing a January Challenge......maybe it is the team?....anyway....I'm down for 200 miles on the bike and 100 miles running! Wooo Hook! I'm already at 79.25 miles on the bike and 12.75 miles on the runs.

Now......I have something for each of you for the December Challenge......I need for you to send me a private message with your mailing address so I can send you the new official "Pasadena Triathlon Club" socks......I have 3 small, 3 medium, and 1 large......They are unisex size so I don't know how to translate that! You are all winners!

Rich

2008-01-07 8:28 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

I don't know how much time I'll have on the bike, but I'm in for the running miles...so far I've got 31.73 miles of run time so I know I'll hit the 100 mark by the end of the month.  I'm planning on doing a cycling class 2x a week so that will at least get my legs spinning again.  I saw bathing suits on the racks today!  YIKES!!!  I had way too much fun during the holidays...red wine became a pretty good friend that I'm ready to get rid of!  She adds way too much weight across my belly.  'Tis the season!

I always need socks!  Be looking for my PM to you!  Thanks Rich...you're the best!

Cheers! 

Angela

2008-01-08 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1140444

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

OK, I'm in.  I just checked my training calendar for the month, and it looks like I'm supposed to spend a lot of time on the bike in the next few weeks. Good, 'cause that's what I need the most work on! I'll go for 250 miles on the bike and 70 miles on the run. I'll pretty much need to not miss any more workouts this month, so this will keep me motivated and in the groove! Great idea, Rich!

2008-01-12 3:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Howdy....just checking in on everyone! Hope everyone is doing fine......started training for Wildlower Long Course.......thought I should at least make it look like I'm training....right?

Focus will be on my cycling and running. January's challenge works into my focus perfectly, too! I'm at 130 miles on the bike so far....I'm at only 16.67 miles on the run...... this week has been a little hectic at work......if you have been watching the news or reading the Financial sections of the paper, you will see the company I work for in the news (hint the one that got bought by a major bank!). So I have to pick up my running alot to make the 100 mile mark by the end of this month.....

Sorry to rub it in, but the weather was picture postcard perfect today! Repeat of the weather forecast set for tomorrow. Guess where I will be? Outside running or doing something!

Rich

2008-01-13 7:02 PM
in reply to: #1152194

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Hey, Rich!  I just finished my longest bike ride ever - 41.25 miles, even with some hills in there! (check out that elevation map on my route ) My right hip flexor is a bit ticked off at me, and my legs feel like jello, but otherwise, I feel pretty good.  We had gorgeous weather here, too, but a little on the cool side.

On a personal note, you may recall that my father-in-law had double-bypass surgery on Jan. 2 - unfortunately there were complications during the surgery that we are all still coping with.  I won't go into the gory details, but suffice to say that my father-in-law has been unconscious under sedation for the last 11 days. None of his current complications are life-threatening, and his surgeon is still predicting a full recovery, but the rehabilitation will be much longer and more involved than anyone originally anticipated.  As a result, my husband and I are burning up the miles between Austin and Houston trying to be there as much as we can while still keeping things going at home.  Right now, we just want to see him awake and alert and on the road to recovery.

So...I'm still getting a lot of my workouts in despite the current insanity.  We'll see if I can still meet my goals.  The exercise is helping me cope with the stress for sure. Nothing like a good endorphin rush to help deal with the worry and frustration of a family health crisis.

OK...enough of my sob story....what's going on with everyone else?

Edited by katzchen55 2008-01-13 7:09 PM
2008-01-18 6:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Wildflower Long Questionable
Hey Gang!

Had an appointment with the surgeon this morning....don't have a date yet, but it looks like I'm heading to surgery for my shoulder......it is about a 45 minute procedure to remove the bursa, shave the acromion, remove the calcium deposits, and remove the bone spurs and repair potential tears. We talked time frames and we talked through times. If I have the surgery in February, it will be about a 12 week recovery. I probably won't be in swimming shape to race. BUT, don't count me out yet!

I'll keep you posted.....meanwhile, I can run and cycle! Woooooo Hooooo!

Rich
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46