Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2010-03-08 8:30 PM
in reply to: #2555870

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Experior's Group - CLOSED
Checking in everyone. Short 2 mile run followed by a tough spinning class. I't was a 9 interval class. Hit 85% a couple times and 93% once. Really fun. Biggest news: I have really avoided the weight room during this journey. I just manned it and did it. Two scheduled workouts completed. Now I GOT TO GET BACK IN POOL! I will be officially self-employed in three weeks. More training flexibility, but no paycheck! Looking forward to working full time at home with no training excuses!

Phil

2010-03-08 9:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Did short (just under 14 minutes) run tonight after taking many days off. Tested foot which is still sore, but it actualy got better with rest. So, that a good sign which should mean it's not as bad as I thought. The foot didn't bother me during the run, felt it but did not get painfull, didn't get better, but at east not worse. Like I mentioned before I'm canceling my 30K race at end of month, so now I have less pressure to get very long runs in.
2010-03-08 11:13 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Rest day today.  Will try to get a hour long ride in tomorrow early evening that includes short hill climbs (7 X 1 min at speed intensity with 2 min. active recovery) and fill in the rest of the time with a warm-up and cool down.  Kind of have a loop I do close to my home in case it really starts to down pour.  I am hoping the rain holds off or is at least less by the time tomorrow.  Really want to ride outdoors and plan not to go to indoor cycling class in the morning.  Pushes me more towards riding outdoors even if it is a little wet.

Brian
2010-03-09 7:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Got a 35 min bike ride today (indoor on lifecycle), afterwards did cool down for about 5 minutes running on indoor track perform stretches. Foot did not feel tight this morning which I expected some tightness after last nights run. I must be doing something right, like all the stretching in the last week. I was also suppose to be doing a swim this morning but forgot my swim shorts.

We are having another beautifull day here in Toronto, hope everyone else is getting same weather. Scout are your mountains of snow melting yet?
2010-03-09 7:44 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Spring is Finally Here!
I can't believe that the snow is already gone.  I'm sure that I'm jinxing myself for saying this and that we'll get a foot of snow next week.  But for now, I'm happy. 

I took my new bike out for its first ride on Sunday (it was a birthday present for myself!) and I'm planning on my first outside run of the year at lunch today. 

My knees are back to 95% and my volume is ramping back up to where I had hoped to be at this point.  61 days and counting.

Happy Spring everyone!
- Mark
2010-03-09 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
Mark and Sylvain- I'm glad you're both recovering well.

I am on my way to the Doc this morning. It's been 3 weeks of extreme sensitivity to touch in my foot. Plus now I have swelling and pain shen I walk/ run. It's time to have it looked at.

Everyone have a great day.
~Heidi

2010-03-09 8:48 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Woo hooo!  Sounds like spring is in the air.

OK, I shouldn't do this, but I'll tell you this story anyway.  When my wife and I moved to Indiana, she was very apprehensive -- she grew up in SC and could count on one hand the number of times it snowed.  (I grew up in Wisconsin and went to grad school in Indiana.)  So, the middle of March arrives and it had been a very mild winter.  I really wanted her to like Indiana (and eventually she did.)  I said to her (knowing better -- shame on me!) "see, winters here aren't so bad."  Two days later we got the worst snowstorm in years.  The university actually shut down for the first time in something like 20 years.   (IU is notorious for almost never shutting down, even in a blizzard.)

But, spring really is here, right?  To prove it, I will now go for a long run in short sleeves!
2010-03-09 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2715974

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Experior - 2010-03-09 8:48 AM

But, spring really is here, right?  To prove it, I will now go for a long run in short sleeves!

I'm doing the same thing this afternoon, and I'll be in shorts too...I hope that the glare from my pasty white legs doesn't blind a motorist and cause any accidents.

I'm planning on 6 miles with 4 X 800's thrown in the middle for yucks.

Train safe everyone!
2010-03-09 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Hello folks need some opinions on bikes. I don't have much money to drop on a bike, not as much as I expected ( the kids got very spoiled at xmas with my bonus) and was looking at this web site www.roadbikeoutlet.com. The bikes here look alright to me, at least for what I will be doing in the next two years (Sprint this year, Olys next year). I'm not trying to win any races, well only against myself. My only concern is maybe the fitting, I did get measured for height and I need a 54. I was looking at this bike Gavin CORSA Triathlon Bicycle - Shimano STI. I know they're not true TRI bikes. I'll be checking out a Police Auction at end of March, maybe I'll get lucky and find something better there. I've been at local shops and they have same componants or lower on brand name bikes and I can't justify spending $1K plus when I can possibly get something similar with same componants for hundreds less. I still need to get riding gear (shoes, helmet, shorts...) so that will be couple hundred more at least. I want to eventualy get a trainer for indoor training during poor weather or missing daylight time for my sessions.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
2010-03-09 1:14 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Sylvain, take this for what it's worth -- I'm not a bike expert by any stretch.

If it were me, I'd go hunting for a used bike.  And I wouldn't necessarily worry about it being a triathlon bike.  You can always put some 'shorty' aero bars on the bike for just a little money.  You can pick up a good used road bike for the same money or less, and the components will be much better.

And in my opinion, after fit, components are where it's at, as far as how enjoyable the bike will be to ride.  You could pick up an old (5-10 year) Cannondale with 105 components for that kind of money, and I'd bet a lot that you'd enjoy it more.

Do be careful about fit.  Not all 54cm bikes will be truly the same size, for example.  So whatever you get, be sure that you will fit that size of that brand.

And happy bike hunting!
2010-03-09 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2716738

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Experior - 2010-03-09 1:14 PM Sylvain, take this for what it's worth -- I'm not a bike expert by any stretch.

If it were me, I'd go hunting for a used bike.  And I wouldn't necessarily worry about it being a triathlon bike.  You can always put some 'shorty' aero bars on the bike for just a little money.  You can pick up a good used road bike for the same money or less, and the components will be much better.

And in my opinion, after fit, components are where it's at, as far as how enjoyable the bike will be to ride.  You could pick up an old (5-10 year) Cannondale with 105 components for that kind of money, and I'd bet a lot that you'd enjoy it more.

Do be careful about fit.  Not all 54cm bikes will be truly the same size, for example.  So whatever you get, be sure that you will fit that size of that brand.

And happy bike hunting!

+1 to everything that Michael said.  And I'll add this to it.  Think long and hard about a roadie vs. a tri bike.  For me, a tri bike would be a complete waste.  Where I live is all rolling hills.  The HIM that I'm doing this summer is on a hilly course.  Most of my sprints are in New Jersey (which is board flat), but the bike leg in all of these sprints is less than 20 miles long. 

In fact, just yesterday I took the clip on aero bars OFF of my bike.  I rode for 90 minutes on Sunday, and was on the aero bars for less than 5 minutes.

Scout

Scout

2010-03-09 5:56 PM
in reply to: #2716635

User image

Expert
sstucker - 2010-03-09 1:36 PM Hello folks need some opinions on bikes. I don't have much money to drop on a bike, not as much as I expected ( the kids got very spoiled at xmas with my bonus) and was looking at this web site www.roadbikeoutlet.com. The bikes here look alright to me, at least for what I will be doing in the next two years (Sprint this year, Olys next year). I'm not trying to win any races, well only against myself. My only concern is maybe the fitting, I did get measured for height and I need a 54. I was looking at this bike Gavin CORSA Triathlon Bicycle - Shimano STI. I know they're not true TRI bikes. I'll be checking out a Police Auction at end of March, maybe I'll get lucky and find something better there. I've been at local shops and they have same componants or lower on brand name bikes and I can't justify spending $1K plus when I can possibly get something similar with same componants for hundreds less. I still need to get riding gear (shoes, helmet, shorts...) so that will be couple hundred more at least. I want to eventualy get a trainer for indoor training during poor weather or missing daylight time for my sessions. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Are you opposed to used? I found a great bike on CL last year for a 1/3 of the original price.The woman bought it to do a century ride, completed that goal, and didnt touch the bike again.  If you're willing to look for a little while, it's worth it.
Another option is to post a "looking for a road bike" ad on CL. You might get some good responses.
2010-03-09 8:42 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Gave up on my Ride this evening.  Didn't go to the gym to ride indoors as I really want to focus on outdoor riding, but a cold front came in along with rain.  Not ideal conditions or even semi-ideal.  I'll be up early to get after my swim and a late evening run tomorrow.  I have a tri coming up in mid may that requires a 500 yd swim time.  I may try to do that during my main set that requires a 700 single swim or 7X100 intervals.  May do a 500 and 2x100 intervals.

Have a great day tomorrow.  Happy to see the weather is changing some on the east Coast; 'bout time.

2010-03-09 9:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Thanks for the feedback on bike...You're all correct, I should be looking at used. Just have this thing about getting new things (toys). Will take the time to search, I'm sure someone has a bike they don't need. I hope that auction has something to offer.

Anyway got my core in plus strenght workout. Felt great, have not performed strenght workout in a long time. I think my thighs were screaming for more, but I think 2 sets was enough for today, I'll feel it tomorrow.

2010-03-09 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2717625

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Happy to see the weather is changing some on the east Coast; 'bout time.

Not half as glad as we are!  We've had 3 absolutely gorgeous days here in Virginia.  Got in another 20 mi bike ride this morning and am hoping to run in the morning before work.  Rains are coming soon, but we certainly have enjoyed the respite from the cold. 
2010-03-09 9:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
I should not have started deadlifts yesterday. Legs were toast. Suppose to do 7 miles only got 3 in. My legs need another day of rest. I HAVE to get my 7 mile run in tomorrrow.

I'm jealous of all the bike talk. I'm hoping to pick mine up next week. Got a deal on a 2009 Cannondale Synapse 5 that has been waiting for me in "layaway" for 3 moths. Zero percent waiting for warmer weather.

Phil

2010-03-10 7:16 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I know what you mean, Phil.  My 8-week thrashing in preparation for my HIM started this week.  Throw in a resolution to get my two legs the same strength and I was toast for my long run on Monday.  I didn't do it.  I did it yesterday, but it hurt, and I came very close to bagging it.  Good thing the weather was nice!  I'm going to sneak one more run in before the rains come...

Sylvain, you are making the right choice in my opinion.  It'll still be a new (to you) toy!  And I think you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Have a great day everyone.
2010-03-10 8:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Good swim this morning - 2800 yards.  I did a muscular endurance workout from workouts in a binder.  In looking at the workout before I started, it seemed like most of the others that I've done.  Now that I'm done, man oh man are my shoulders tired!  I'm also planning a bike ride at lunch today and maybe a few easy miles tonight while DS is at play rehearsal.  I did 4 X 800 intervals yesterday.  Trying to get some speed work in to give me a shot at breaking 24:00 in a 5K on 3/27.

Train safe everyone!
2010-03-10 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2716738

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Experior - 2010-03-09 2:14 PM Sylvain, take this for what it's worth -- I'm not a bike expert by any stretch.

And happy bike hunting!

This is good advice.  IMO tri bikes are great for racing and less great for training.  As a noob I think that owning a road bike first was the right choice.  I found my bike a little over a year ago on Craigslist for $400: an '06 Specialized Allez road bike with a Shimano flight Deck computer and aero bars.  I spent another $200 getting a good fit at my bike shop.  I take the aero bars off in the winter so I can ride with regular roadies so I like having a bike that let's me work in a group where you have other riders pushing you.  

I've already got 80 miles on the bike this week and it's only Wednesday.  I'm feeling pretty good physically and since I just donated blood on Monday I'm gonna keep this week hi-volume and low intensity.

I am, however, bummed out that I have yet to get a race on the calendar.  I decided I wanted to do the Orlando 70.3 two days ago after I found out about a couple buddies who signed up.  Spent yesterday researching hotel availability/rates and went to register last night only to find out the race sold out that day!   Major bummer.
2010-03-10 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2718621

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Spleen - 2010-03-10 10:57 AM

I am, however, bummed out that I have yet to get a race on the calendar.  I decided I wanted to do the Orlando 70.3 two days ago after I found out about a couple buddies who signed up.  Spent yesterday researching hotel availability/rates and went to register last night only to find out the race sold out that day!   Major bummer.

That is a major disappointment.  For the past two years, I've decided on my A race for the summer in the previous winter.  I've signed up for it almost as soon as registration opens.  I'll run some smaller races here and there, but my A race is locked in.  But hopefully you can find another HIM that's just as appealing.

Edited by scout21 2010-03-10 11:54 AM
2010-03-10 2:13 PM
in reply to: #2718621

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Spleen - 2010-03-10 11:57 AM

Sorry to hear that.  FL has a ton of races -- I hope you can find another one to your liking!

2010-03-10 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2718134

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
scout21 - 2010-03-10 9:25 AM Good swim this morning - 2800 yards.  I did a muscular endurance workout from workouts in a binder.  In looking at the workout before I started, it seemed like most of the others that I've done.  Now that I'm done, man oh man are my shoulders tired!  I'm also planning a bike ride at lunch today and maybe a few easy miles tonight while DS is at play rehearsal.  I did 4 X 800 intervals yesterday.  Trying to get some speed work in to give me a shot at breaking 24:00 in a 5K on 3/27.

Train safe everyone!

I say the good money is on you Scout.  Your interval paces are right on target to hit that goal.
2010-03-10 4:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
i am back amongst the living today. being sick just blows-it really gets in the way of my training. but after a couple of days of good strong antibiotics i am feeling much better.
2010-03-10 9:34 PM

User image

Expert
Bill- I'm glad you're feeling better.

I forced myself into the pool tonight.  I didn't pack my sneakers in my gym bag, so that the only option I had was to swim.

Then, whenI wanted to stop, I kept telling myself that I still had to work off the serving of chips I had with my lunch today. It worked well. I got 900 very.slow, yards in. Since my first race is a sprint, I'm happy with that.
2010-03-10 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Seems like all I'm doing right now is working and working out.  But sticking with the general program.  Fortunately, the nice weather has been a huge motivational help.  Tomorrow is spin class followed by a swim... and might throw in the running intervals as well.  Thursday seems to be my mini-indoor-triathlon day.  Still on track for another 7+ week... not sure I'll quite hit the bike numbers though.  The last two weeks in March will be a challenge for sure with St. Paddy's week and then I may be back on the road again.

I also read some threads about people who had HIMs in about 8 weeks who are woefully under-prepared.  Compared to Michael, I'm in big trouble, but felt somewhat more positive about my chances after reading these other posts.  Of course, they were probably half my age :-)  No matter... psychologically, it helped.  Yes, I admit it, their despair was my encouragement.  Ah well... whatever works!

Stu
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46